Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nose wheel steering setup

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nose wheel steering setup

Old 06-12-2020, 08:16 AM
JacoS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose wheel steering setup

Hi all,

First time that I am posting on here.
I need some help with E-Flite 60-120 size 105 retract steering arm setup.

When I retract the gear the aluminium slider (that is supposed to disconnect the steering when the gear is retracted) sort of binds momentarily on its rod which causes the nosewheel to deflect. I can hear the gear motor takes some strain during that time, but it is very brief and the slider then unbinds, slides rapidly to its new position and the nosewheel centres itself.

Is this normal or should the wheel be able to retract without deflecting? I cannot attach a photo yet as I have not made enough posts yet.

TIA

Jaco

Old 06-12-2020, 11:26 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Typically you'll raise or lower that steering push rod so the clevis pivot point is at the same level as the retract pivot point,,, if it's too high or too low you can get that momentary binding,,

good luck
Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 AM
JacoS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Typically you'll raise or lower that steering push rod so the clevis pivot point is at the same level as the retract pivot point,,, if it's too high or too low you can get that momentary binding,,

good luck
Yeah, I have noticed that the position of the pushrod on the slide makes a difference. I can manually move it up or down with my hand, but it will only stay there until I make a steering imput or obviously vibrations will move it to where it wants to be.

I thought of giving the pushrod a slight bend, but since it can pivot on the servo side and steering arm side it just moves back to its original position.

I have tried searching for instructions on how it is supposed to be set up or if someone else has had the same problem, but it seems I am the only one that managed to mess it up somehow
Old 06-12-2020, 02:09 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO4M is correct about the need for the clevis pin to be on the same centerline as the pivot p[in of the retracts. I suggest you install some sort of a bracket that supports the steering pushrod so that it can't move away from that ideal location.
Chuck