Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

help on a modeltech cap 21

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help on a modeltech cap 21

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 03:43 AM
fatman47172
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on a modeltech cap 21

I have a Modeltech Cap 21 that was given to me because some of the kit was gone. I don't understand how the stabilizer goes on or how to mount the servos. The instructions are not for beginners. If someone has built one and can give me some help, please email me. Thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2002, 05:36 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the arc several years ago. for anyone who has some experience, it is very easy to figure out! you don't really need instructions.... other than maybe the cg point.

If someone gave me the kit today for free...I would not want it!!
This plane is old technology...there are too many much more technologically superior acrobatic planes available today.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone gave me the kit today for free...I would not want it!!
That was rude Outsider, The guy asked for advice on setup and you tell him to get rid of it.

This Forum was for advice not slamming someones aircraft.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:01 PM
outssider

I am helping the best I can ...I didn't tell him to get rid of it...I just said I would not be bothered !!

This is the way I see it........

plane...$ 150
electronics ( flight pack)....$175 ( conservative estimate could be much more )
91 size 4-stroke.....$250 (conservative estimate)

**this arc kit does not come with any hardware !!**

monokote+wheels+pushrods+tank+clevises+engine mount+controll horns+ nuts and bolts= $75 (at least)

Keep in mind also that this plane is not an arf...it is an arc ....so it requires quite a bit more work than an arf.

ok lets add up the numbers

I get......$650

with the plane for free...$500

do you see what I am trying to illustrate here ???

I have owned and flown this plane as well as other more modern acrobatic planes.

it is simply inferior...in every way....i'm not trying to be unkind ....I'm just telling the truth :stupid:

So what I am saying is that ***I*** would not spend $500 for this plane when I could get something that is much much better for a little more money.

I too was enticed with this plane...I bought it on sale for $100 new.....

I have learned that the cost of the plane is not a major factor when you consider all the other hardware and time that's required before it is actually in the air!!
Old 02-15-2002, 10:20 PM
fatman47172

Default help

I appreciate your rep;ies. I still cannot understand it but I'm not mad.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Plain Dealer
My Feedback: (208)

Default Cap 21

Hey Fatman, It's been a while since I built one of these. If I remember correctly, there is a flat mounting plate on the top/back of the fuse. The horizontal stab glues in place(30 minute epoxy). After that sets, the vertical stab is glued on top. Seems as though there are balsa wood filets that are glued on each side of the vertical stab. I beleive they have to be shaped to match the contour of the fuse. Do the carving/sanding/shaping before you glue them in place. I'm assuming you know how to square up all these, in relation to the wing/fuse.
As far as the servos, you have to make your own "rails" to mount the servos in the fuse. I would save that for last to help with balancing.
The reason your hearing negative feedback on this plane is because it will tip stall if it is not flown with respect. It's not a forgiving plane to fly. If you are low on experience with a low wing, fully symetrical wing, put this plane in your closet for a couple years.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Old 02-16-2002, 04:32 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Default Cap 21

I've had a couple of these and while they are not beginners planes, they can be a lot of fun when set up properly. Keep it a little nose heavy - easy on the throws.

Let's see - flight pack - $90
Used OS SF with a 12x6 APC - $75
A few linkages and parts - $30
Plane - free

A nice plane for $200

Ron - AMA 1025
Old 02-16-2002, 06:14 PM
outssider

what about covering...$$....you are going to cover it aren't you??
are you going to use a standard servo for rudder ??$$

receiver+crystal+battery+servo extensions+Y harness+switch+4 servos(at least)=$90
Old 02-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Plain Dealer

Default Outsider

What the hell is your problem? Is there anything you approve of. You really need to see someone about your problem. I've been in this hobby for sometime. There are a lot of really good, helpful people. You are not one of these people. Apparently you've had trouble flying the Cap 21. Perhaps it's because you can't fly worth a ****... I'd say you probably have a huge pile of balsa wood in a corner, somewhere.
By the way, if you're going to attack me now, please try to say something intelligent.

Have a great day!
Old 02-17-2002, 02:05 AM
outssider

I have no problem

Just questioning some of those numbers from ronwc
Old 02-17-2002, 09:22 PM
outssider

Sunray.....

First off.........I am not the one who is swearing, calling people names and attacking them in a
personal way!

I have spent days....even weeks at a time helping other modelers while at the same time putting my own building and flying temporarily on hold.

It appears at this point that the gentleman who started this thread is going to take your advice rather than mine anyway! So I guess now it's a moot point who's advice is correct!

However, just because my advice seems a bit extreme, and apparently unkind, does not necessarily mean that I am wrong and you are right !

I would still be willing to defend my position on this particular model if you would like to continue this debate further.

If however your argument is going to include swearing, name calling and personal attacks, I will delete my portion of this entire thread!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:10 PM
fatman47172

Default outsider and sunray

I am not taking anyones opinion over another. I want to see what I need to do to finish it. Outsider says the plane is garbage and I can't give an opinion because I have not tried to fly it. On the other hand sunray says it is not a bad plane but not for beginners. Well, I'm not a beginner but I lack the experience of many. I appreciate your help and opinions but I certainly did not wan to start a fight.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:27 PM
outssider

fatman....

I never said the plane is garbage
It has quite a few very good qualities

1...excellent quality ...if you spend some time on it you can make it look quite good.
2....it is so well built that you could probably fly it forever without fatiguing the structure.

the problems with this plane are

1...during slow flight it has a tendency to drop a wing and snap,

the slower you go, the worse the problem.

other acrobatic planes will also snap when slowed ...some designs more than others but this cap is by far the worse of the bunch in this area!

So you might say...well I won't fly it too slow...you could do that...and that would probably work ( as long as you keep the speed up a little when landing)

It is my opinion that acrobatic planes must, at times, be flown very slow to give a true scale-like appearance. Because of this, combined with the planes tendency to snap at slow speed, I would not choose this plane!

I wish there were forums before I purchased my cap 21 and someone would have warned me

I flew mine without knowing what I now know!(and you)
It seemed to me at the time that every once and a while I was getting radio interference....I did not know it was the plane starting to snap! eventually it snapped and hit the ground ....ouch
After the plane crashed, I learned by asking around that the radio interference I thought I was getting was actually the plane beginning to snap!
I was faced with the following dilemma
1....rebuild it
2...forget it

it was not damaged too badly but it would have taken some work....not as much work as building it in the first place though!

I reasoned that I could spend almost no money and 3 weeks fixing it...or....forget it !

even though I could have fixed it for free, I chose to move on because after 3 weeks of work ...I would still have the problems that are inherent in this design!

I spent 4 months building from kit a different plane! And of course it was more expensive than fixing the cap 21 !!

I would truly have tried to help you with the stab/elevator problem that you originally asked about ...but I just could not remember!
The only thing I can recall about the construction was a little about the wooden cowl and how I attached it to the fuse! but even that is a bit fuzzy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3295_2417.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2693  
Old 02-19-2002, 06:38 PM
outssider

Well Fatman......
I must confess, Sunray was right, I do have a problem....well actually, it's my hangar, the girls!! They all share my extra bedroom.
They are quite jealous of me .....even getting downright mean to one another biding for my attention ! They are sneaky too!!...
Why Just last night.....while I was in bed, I heard noises coming from their room...I went in to investigate.....it was the edge 540! She said that her wheels were too tight and she asked if I could take a look !! (she is the sneakiest and most jealous of the bunch!)
So I took her into the dimly lit garage....alone...just the two of us.... I laid her on her side on a bath towel on top of the work bench...
Guess what!!!!!
Their was nothing wrong with her wheels!
She was just saying those things so I would take off her pants and fondle her wheels!!!!

I tell you Fatman, they are driving me crazy!!......

This is how my day begins!

Every morning, while I am drinking my coffee at the kitchen table I get up from the table and tip toe over to their room.....when I get to their bedroom door I SHOUT!!... ..."WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE MODEL AIRPORT" (I like to tease them even if I have no intention of going)

They get very excited and start raising their ailerons, wagging their rudders and waving their props....trying to get my attention!!!...each one is screaming at the top of their carboratores........take me...take me...only me!!!...( last week my cap 232 wagged her rudder so violently she stripped out her servo)......

Shortly after this..... the arguments begin.....

usually it's the Cap 232 that starts it....

"I CAN SNAP-ROLL BETTER THAN ANYONE IN THIS ROOM" she says....
Then the Giles 202 comes back with..."LOOK AT THESE WINGS.....I WAS BORN TO SNAP-ROLL"

Then the edge 540 chimes in...." I CAN FLY LOWER AND SLOWER THAN ALL OF YOU PUT TOGETHER.......PLUS....I HAVE LOWER WING LOADING... HA ...HA!!!...NA...NA !!"

I tell you fatman ...they are driving me crazy with their jealousy.....

This is the real reason I can not get another modeltech cap 21......the girls are just too jealous...
If I had a modeltech cap 21 in their room.....this is what would happen.......
I can just hear it now.....my cap 232 would start in.....just like she does every morning bragging about how well she snap rolls! (she is so stuck-up)
Then of course the modeltech cap 21 (being the snapping queen)... would say ... "I CAN SNAP BETTER THAN ANYONE IN THIS ROOM!
......... Then it would start to get ugly.....

They would start saying mean things to her ....things like....yeh!

...."LAST TIME YOU SNAP ROLLED YOU GOT SO EXCITED YOU COULDN'T STOP"
Or......

"YOU ENJOY SNAPPING SO MUCH YOU SNAP EVEN WHEN YOU WERE TOLD NOT TO "
Or....(this is my favorite)

"LAST TIME YOU SNAPPED...... YOU SNAPPED YOURSELF INTO A STOOPER"

So you see Fatman...the truth is ....my girls are just to jealous...to jealous to let another cap 21 into the hangar.....each of my girls wants me to take them out for a spin around the runway...each one thinks that they are the only one!!!...the one-and-only!!!

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE I TELL YA!...I CAN'T!!!...I CAN'T...
Maybe Sunray is right .... I have psychological problems....but it's not my fault....it's the girls...they did this to me!!....it's them!! ...not me!!! HELP!!!!.....HELP!!!....HELP!!!....
Old 02-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Plain Dealer

Default outsider

You do have a problem!!!

But that waaaasssss funny!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 01:22 AM
crash1-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default cap 21

that`s ok fatman, i had one , but it broke,, now i`m looking for another one, but there right don`t slow it to much on landing, or it`ll break, crunch,, mine flew very nice, if you add a little wash out in it before you cover it, that will help the tip stalling,, have a great day,, [email protected]
Old 06-21-2002, 09:49 PM
little xtra

Default outssider

i'm still laughing,whooh,i needed that,ha aha haha aha aha aha haa ahahahah a ahahaahahaha ahahahah
Old 06-21-2002, 10:16 PM
crash1-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default cap 21

HA Ha Ha, i thought that`d make somebody`s day,, keep yer wheels down,,