Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2.4 ghz radios??????????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4 ghz radios??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM
videorov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz radios??????????

Ive been looking at the new Airtronics RDS8000FHSS and now also looking at the Spektrum DX7. Also thinking about the JR 9303 or the JR12X top of the line.
Is there alot of difference in these controllers besides how many channels? Im going to fly all types of aircraft electric,gas,helis.
I don't know if I will get into full scale craft. How many channels does a person really need and with the mixing alot of planes use now
on their control surfaces? Do I need maybe more then one controller over buying one top line one like the JR12.
I seem to see alot of people using the DX7 or even the DX6i and a few Airtronics. Their new one has alot of stuff on it.
I can buy two DX7 for what one JR12X cost but Im sure it does alot of stuff. I also try to keep in mind the cost of the rcvrs and servos.
Trying to get the most for the money and one that will work with all models servos rcvrs etc.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 ghz radios??????????

Wow, the start of a new series......

There has been another one going for quite sometime on the Airtronics 2.4. One of the nice things is that Mike Greenshields, the Global Hobbies Product Manager answers a lot of questions.

There is a good review in the latest issue of Model Aviation, by Bob Aberle on the Airtronics unit also. Plus it gives a brief overview of the other brands and how they all work.

The overwhelming majority of them out there are probably the Spektrums, since they have been on the market the longest. Everyone I talk to with one, say they are great, however, I have seen a lot of threads on RC Universe bringing up issues with them, the latest on using amplified Y harnesses.....this is on the Home page of RC Universe.

I have been flying the Airtronics 2.4 for a few weeks and have really gotten to like it. I had Airtronics way back, but they seemed to have fallen behind in new radios, so my last 3 were JR's. They were all good, but the JR 2.4's are too expensive for me. The Airtronic 2.4 was available at Tower for less than $200 with their internet specials, etc, so I got one with 2 receivers.

The Airtronics is really easy to program. And I like to be different....there are about half dozen Spektrums at my field. I have seen zero Futaba ones, but I am sure they are out there. Each is going to have a few pluses and minuses. Don;t know about the others, but the Airtronics is set up for airplanes, helis, and sailplanes.....one unit for all. Eight channels should be plenty, but there is supposed to be a 10 channel unit coming in 2009.

One thing to keep in mind is the Airtronics only comes with the transmitter, receiver and wall charger. Use whatever servos and battery packs you are familiar with. That way you can fit your own situation the best since everyone seems to have favorites.

Good luck

Bel Air Bob
Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
BelAirBob

One other thing on the Airtronics.....there is a new review that was posted about a week or two ago on RC Universe that was really thorough....must have taken a long time to put together.

bob
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
videorov

Yes I saw the article and I see where somone said it doesn't have expo or DR on the rudder for planes? I think someone said there was a way to do a mix and do the same thing I guess. The three digit display they were not crazy about but most of it they were happy about.
I guess you can get service on them thats important for any radio I would think. Yes I do see alot of Spektrum units.
I use to see alot of Futaba years ago when I was first flying. Im just getting back into it and learning whats out there and what they
all can do and can't do. These new foamy planes are pretty cool what the guys are doing with them and the type of crafts they are building.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
timothy thompson

i have 25 aircraft 25 radios
Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
BelAirBob

Yes, the 3 letter naming is sort of old. But a guy at my field today took off and crashed a plane.....he was on the wrong airplane and his radio had full names.....

Airtronics took their RD8000 and made it into spread spectrum. Maybe not as ideal as starting from scratch, but they got a good product on the market fairly quick at a great price. One has to ask if paying a few hundred more for a few more niceties is really worth it. In the next year I think we will see new radios with more bells and whistles for less money, but what do I know

bob
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would check with the heli forum and ask about channels and radio preference if you're going to be flying heli's too. I think they generally need more channels.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 PM
videorov

Well Timothy thats a few radios. Well you have a few backs looks like. I guess on for every radio.
Yes with the radios changing all the time coming out with new stuff it doesn't pay to put alot into one radio. I don't really care for the radios that come
this the RTF kits. Yes they work but not as smooth. I guess it will either be a Airtronics RDS8000FHSS or the DX7. I think most heli guys might use 6 channnels.
The scale guys are the ones that use up the channels. Im not into scale stuff really so 8 Im sure should be enough.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
BelAirBob

One nice thing about having a lot of channels is that you can run dual elevators or dual ailerons on separate channels instead of using a Y harness. There are situations where that can be an advantage

bob
Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
videorov

Yes BelairBob thats what I was wondering about with alot of new ways guys are flying now doing stuff like that since they have the more channels.
Ive never done that. Ive heard some are having problems using a Y harness with some radios Spektrums Belairbob says a few people have mentioned that.
I guess that is something to think about too.
When are you using the dual elevators or dual ailerons on separate channels. How much better does it work if any better?
Ive been reading about the resolution on these and the JRX9303 and there is alot of diffrence there.
I will be better going with that in the end looks like. Only one better is the 12X and thats a bit of a jump in price.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,
My question is what is the range on the new RDS8000FHSS? Some people have said it is not very good. Some else said the system divdes up the output signal by 10 so it always hopping around to find the best signal, which in turn limits its range. I'm not that familure with the technogy, so if someone understand it can you please let me know.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Sorry for the bad grammer and spelling.
I hit the OK by mistake and didn't get a chance to review what I wrote.[sm=bananahead.gif]
I usually review my psots so they will be understood.
Thanks,
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
BelAirBob

This is a full range radio. You should be OK until you can;t see it anymore....at that point, range does not matter. If you are worried, start walking and see where it stops. There are threads on RC universe where the person walks and walks.....I don;t think there is a problem or we would have heard about it in a big way

bob
Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 PM
TedMo

Not that you need more replies but will send this anyway. I have the JR Spektrum and could not be more pleased. One of the features I REALY like is the model match. No way that you can fly the wrong plane just won't work. Each plane has to be individually bound to the TX. With what you say you may do in future you may need quite a few channels However, normally 7 are sufficient. The JR Spectrum RX's are available in several models but some are considered Park Flyer type, which I don't buy. I use only the AR7000 or on my smaller electrics the AR6200. They are both full range RX's. that consist of 2 tiny RX's which I consider another plus since they are each oriented 90degrees from each other.Which offers unparralled reception. I'm pleased to see you are doing your homework on a selection. many do not then end up purchaseing something they are dissatisfied with and end up spending more money to upgrade.