Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

EBAY/PAYPAL !! CAUTION!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

EBAY/PAYPAL !! CAUTION!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBAY/PAYPAL !! CAUTION!!

Ok,I was a big Ebay/Paypal fan......until tonight! I was selling a bunch of good RC stuff that was ending tonight to raise money to pick up my new harley purchase next weekend,and it did. My buyers were great and paid right away. I even offed them 100% no questions asked money back if they werent satisfied when the recieved it. WELL,turns out Ebay and Paypal think they can control our money now by "holding" it until the constumer recieves and and leaves good feedback,or paypal can verify it was shipped somehow,or 21 days is up. So basically if your a seller,you cant touch your money until after the buyer recieves it! Kinda like C.O.D. I guess. What the *&^) is up with that? Sorry,I didnt know ebay and paypal could control the $$$$. These "holds" happened on 1/2 of my sales so far tonight! Theres no way I'm sending out this stuff before I have the money,and that would totally defeat the purpose of selling some of my nicest stuff if I cant get the money for weeks maybe! And that will likely cause for some bad feedback.

This sucks!!! I'm VERY ticked off about this(cant you tell). Please keep this in mind if you plan on selling on ebay with the intentions of getting your money right away.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EBAY/PAYPAL !! CAUTION!!

From the fence post that I'm sitting on, I think the policy is a good one that will help keep Ebay working. There are plenty of accounts of merchandise not being what is represented (see the NIB thread) and if jerks are allowed to scam others, then Ebay suffers and everyone will lose. If one needs quick cash, carry the stuff to the local flying field and let someone see what their getting.

I believe most sellers that are selling something of honest value will have no problem with such a policy as the net effect will be that it will probably increase prices as buyers feel less worried about being cheated.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
sowega flyer

Seems to me that policy will cut down on the growing number of deadbeats that use that site to scam others.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Jester241

I first of all dont think Ebay or Paypal should be in the money management part of this or be able to take control of someones money without proper notification prior to a sale. I beleive the reason this happened is because of the wording of my adds which is a VERY unpredictable way of controls somebody's money. If they want to do this,there should be clear policies for this.

And I really dont think its in the best interest of ebay or paypal to do this. Could you imagine ordering something over the phone or internet from a company and having them send you their product without you paying for it first????? Nor would they sell it to you with a 3rd party controlling the money (i.e. ebay/paypal). Thats just crazy,but thats whats happening here. You always take a chance when buying something over the net or phone,but ebay has things to help control this like feedback ratings etc. and it usually works very well.

I guess its just a matter of opinion,but if I have known about this prior to my sale....I would have never done it. I've been selling on ebay and PP for years now and have never heard of this or had any money issues whatsoever. I simply dont think having another 3rd party controlling the money whenever they choose is a good system either.

Bottom line....ebay and paypal should not be able to take anyones money and keep it until they decide what should be done with it. Thats not what their there for,nor should it be their job.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I thought Ebay/Paypal only did this to new sellers. Once you have X amount of successful transactions, the holds will stop.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Jester241

I'd bet if you looked at the percentage of unsatisfied deals on ebay,you'd find thats its not worse then unsatisfied deals on some online hobby shops we buy from all the time.

Try calling tower hobbies and placing a couple hundred dollar order and telling them you'll pay for it after you get it.....see if they send it to you.

Alot less people will be selling stuff on ebay if they make a habit of this which sucks,because I like to be able to shop as much as sell on there. And if people arent selling it,I wont be able to buy it.

[>:]
Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i found out that policy the hard way myself. even with my 100% positive rating and quite a few sales under my belt they still started to hold my money. to much trouble anymore for me to bother. i rarely visit ebay anymore.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Jester241

Would have been nice if they would have TOLD me they were gonna POCKET my $400 instead of give it to me before I told these poor people I'd sell them something they thought they were getting a good deal on. There's not way I'm sending a couple of my best engines out without any money for them. Now I gotta deal with either finding a quick way around this policy or tell my customers "forget it" and deal with getting their money back from ebay for them(thier problem I guess) and all the negative feedback. LOL,theres no way this "random" system is better.....
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM
dhal22

i like it. refuse to send them and let ebay deal with it. good for you! what was wrong with money orders anyway?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
freeair

i have sold over 90 items on EBAY and quite a few buyers have paid me via Paypal. what i have found is as soon as the buyer pays and the money is in my Paypal account i can withdraw the funds straight away , like putting it in my own bank account.
i must say that i do feel PAYPAL is a rip off when it comes to there cut in fees, i sold my sons DrumKit for $2,000 and paypal charged $100 of this money but if i chose to have the funds banked straight into my own bank account without using Paypal, no extra fees would occur. so if you use Paypal be carefull or bettr still Don,t use PAYPAL.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 PM
KW_Counter

Jester,
I like the plan.
Years ago I was one of the customers where the shipment was never made.
After a couple of weeks I contacted PayPal about the issue.
PayPal contacted the seller and got permission to refund my money.
What would have happened if he had refused?
How would I get my money back?
In reality, PayPal would have been out the money because I would have contacted my
credit card carrier.
So PayPal is protecting themselves. I'm sure they would be willing to give up this
protection and make up the difference by charging you more.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you totally.
I do agree it is a pain in the@$$.
In the long run it does help you if you are an honest vendor.
I imagine in these trying times there are more shysters out there.

Good Luck and enjoy the new Harley,
KW_Counter
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Jester241

Ok,I was a big Ebay/Paypal fan......until tonight! I was selling a bunch of good RC stuff that was ending tonight to raise money to pick up my new harley purchase next weekend,and it did. My buyers were great and paid right away. I even offed them 100% no questions asked money back if they werent satisfied when the recieved it. WELL,turns out Ebay and Paypal think they can control our money now by "holding" it until the constumer recieves and and leaves good feedback,or paypal can verify it was shipped somehow,or 21 days is up. So basically if your a seller,you cant touch your money until after the buyer recieves it! Kinda like C.O.D. I guess. What the *&^) is up with that? Sorry,I didnt know ebay and paypal could control the $$$$. These "holds" happened on 1/2 of my sales so far tonight! Theres no way I'm sending out this stuff before I have the money,and that would totally defeat the purpose of selling some of my nicest stuff if I cant get the money for weeks maybe! And that will likely cause for some bad feedback.

This sucks!!! I'm VERY ticked off about this(cant you tell). Please keep this in mind if you plan on selling on ebay with the intentions of getting your money right away.

I see your point but if a buyer gets burned are they (Pay Pal) to "hold the bag" on your money hoping that you haven't moved to China after the buyer has filed a claim against you for non delivery of an item? I have been burned myself and never filed a claim against a seller but can't you see their point? There are buyers who have posted right here buying from RCU classifieds that have paid for and not received items. Whatever.

Hey, I hope Keith Buell has a fingerprint on your new Harley. Whatever biker brother, some warm spring morning when throw a leg over your new ride, blip that beautiful V Twin one time for a brother in Michigan. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Regards,
Bill
Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 AM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Jester I Feel your pain ! and for what it was worth I was looking on Eebay the other day and did run across your add can't remember which one exactly but you did have two or three and some engines I was drooling over I didn't bid on them because I don't have and do not wish to have a paypal account , because of similar experience like yours , and like you I think the new way they are doing things really SUCKS ! I don't agree with it........ but also understand why it has come to this , I knew a guy that had 6 diffrent accounts and was ripping people off left and right , got so bad I don't think he even remembers how to spell his own name , but I'll tell ya what send me a list of what you got what the winning bid amount was and if you want to sell them to me I'll forward you a money order asap
think about it and let me know

thanks
Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

Jester I Feel your pain ! and for what it was worth I was looking on Eebay the other day and did run across your add can't remember which one exactly but you did have two or three and some engines I was drooling over I didn't bid on them because I don't have and do not wish to have a paypal account , because of similar experience like yours , and like you I think the new way they are doing things really SUCKS ! I don't agree with it........ but also understand why it has come to this , I knew a guy that had 6 diffrent accounts and was ripping people off left and right , got so bad I don't think he even remembers how to spell his own name , but I'll tell ya what send me a list of what you got what the winning bid amount was and if you want to sell them to me I'll forward you a money order asap
think about it and let me know

thanks
Mike

I have asked sellers prior to the close of the bidding if a U.S.P.S. money order was acceptable and the answer has always been yes.

Bill
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

You never said if you have a Verified PayPal account. If you are not a Verified account holder, PayPal will hold your funds.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

You never said if you have a Verified PayPal account. If you are not a Verified account holder, PayPal will hold your funds.

I have been a Pay Pal customer since 1995. I have never been "verified". My spending limit is something like $3,500.00. Like I would spend that for a Thimble Drome P-40 Warhawk. I use my Visa debit card which is tied to my checking. I could give them my checking account transit and routing numbers but I refuse to. Why? Because they are too stupid for their skin. Why does it matter to myself or them?

Bill
Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Try calling tower hobbies and placing a couple hundred dollar order and telling them you'll pay for it after you get it.....see if they send it to you.
Actually, they will. It's called "Bill Me Later" Look it up on their site.

Would have been nice if they would have TOLD me they were gonna POCKET my $400 instead of give it to me before I told these poor people I'd sell them something they thought they were getting a good deal on.
They did. You didn't read it. http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/.../index.html#27

Now, that being said. I have toned down my eBay sales because of the ridiculous fees they are charging these days. I sell more on RCU and other sites more than I used to. Still, ebay is a good way to sell just about anything.
Doug
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, I will never accept payment via Pay Pal for anything I sell on The Internet

That link above is their death warrant in my opinion
Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Jester241

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

Would have been nice if they would have TOLD me they were gonna POCKET my $400 instead of give it to me before I told these poor people I'd sell them something they thought they were getting a good deal on.
They did. You didn't read it. http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/.../index.html#27

Now, that being said. I have toned down my eBay sales because of the ridiculous fees they are charging these days. I sell more on RCU and other sites more than I used to. Still, ebay is a good way to sell just about anything.
Doug

I as well as my customers(who were all also very unhappy with this) have never encountered this issue in many years of doing this. And for ebay and PP to just all the sudden decide they should start "distributing" our money is just BS. And as far as you saying its all right there in front of you, well thats not totally true either. For example,thier policy says that your money will be "released" after postive feedback is recieved is not true at all either......we tried it! I was able to get this money released after calling paypal. They released it after reviewing both my and my customers account activity which was both flawless and long. So why the hold anyway....ebay didnt even know? Basically what I got,as well as one of my customers who called ebay was that there is no ryme or reason to this "hold" stuff as we were both told different things. Neither ebay or PP could even tell us exactly when it would be released even after we complied with their policy...(no,I'm not lying either). Doesnt sound like they even know exactly how it works. And if they dont....how are we supposed to know?? Anyway...I'm over it now,but will likely never accept paypal payment through ebay again. I will from now on request that I personally send the an invoice from paypal,thus taking ebay out of the picture because I want to know EXACTLY whats going on with my and my customers money. If I'm gonna guess whats gonna happen.....I'll become a meteoroligist or start playing the lottery more. Perhaps I'd have a better chance at guessing the the weather or the winning lottery numbers then what ebay will do with our $800.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

And as far as you saying its all right there in front of you, well thats not totally true either.
It is completely true. I received E-mail notifications from both Paypal and eBay during the time they were working on the changes. There were messages in my inbox on eBay about the changes too. That was quite some time ago. The rule change was around November of last year and there were several other changes, including revised fees at the same time. I'm glad your over it now.[8D]
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I recently sold nearly $5000 in camera gear on ebay. As in your case, they held up the funds on me too. On one particular item, the money was held up for several weeks because the buyer decided she was not going to leave feedback, after I contacted her and asking that she leave feedback so that I could get paid. I checked the feedback that she had been leaving for others, and found that she has a habit of holding the seller hostage...in other words, she asks for a partial refund from the seller, and if she doesn't get it, she leaves the seller negative feedback.I eventually got paid, but only because I could verify that the item had been delivered for quite some time, and that the buyer was not going to leave any feedback at any time. (It is now nearly 6 weeks later, and still no feedback.) Under the current rules, the seller cannot leave neg feedback for the buyer...so, ebay is essentially allowing buyers to screw with sellers anytime they feel like it. I will continue to buy on ebay, but I will never sell again.....by the way, I wonder how much interest they make on holding our money. I guess their fees are just not enough.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

hang on ! the buyer cannot leave neg feed back ? then what the hell do they still have it for ? what purpose does it serve ? Look guys as I said before yeah it Sucks ! holding on to someone money who is doing honest business is BS ! holding the seller hostage as scott put it is just not fair , however as I have said I have seen the other side of the spectrum as well

I will share a personal story with all of you because this story hits home for me .........

My sister inlaw married some guy , who couldn't or actually refused to get a job he was always scaming and screwing someone over every day..... Eebay was just one of many ventures for him , what he would do is get a stock photo of an item post the add as if he had the merchandise sell it on Eebay and never ship the item out to the customer because he never had it , everything from fake knock off jordans to flat screen TV's , once paypal got the wiser he would open another account under a different name different ss number and do it again and again , prepaid cc don't verify your identity so all someone has to do is buy a prepaid credit card with bogus info , register it with Eebay and whola ! new Eebay account is created and the chance for some poor buyer to be screwed is created , payapal and Eebay brought these measures to be because of scum bags like the one I described above . A neccesary evil i guess
Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
aerowoof

I got ripped of by paypal a few years ago.I used to mail everthing insured fiqureing it was better than delivery comfirmation as if it got lost no one would be out money.I mailed a pica kit to florida during hurricane season and it got tid up in the mail and the buyer filed a non reciept claim.the kit eventually arrived and was signed for by the buyer even had a copy of his signiture from the post office but because it could not be verified online by paypal they refunded all his money and he kept it and the kit.closed my account and will not do business with either one.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
dhal22

i was thinking about the interest thing myself. i assumed the policy was just another way for ebay to make even more money ( in addition to covering their #ss).
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
shurlock1

I got screwed on ebay too. I sold an item on there the buyer used a bad credit card and weeks later ebay is comming after me for the money not the buyer. Ebay said I had seller protection I said how you are jerking me around and now its being investigated. The item was being resold on Ebay from the buyer. I told the clowns at Ebay that this is what was happening. Still had to weight over a month for them to fix my account. Well now I am going to sell on Craigs list using postal money orders. Its cheaper and you dont have to pay two companies that are owned by one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.