Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Spartan jet drive buid

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Traxxas Spartan jet drive buid

Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM
ManDime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Spartan jet drive buid

So i thought i'd share the the jet boat build with yall. I have this thread on traxxas forum as well.
Recently, i went to garner state park in east texas for vacation and i loved the rapids so much. Now i want to go back but with a boat that can handle rapids. So i found a Traxxas Spartan shell for $20 local and the guy threw in a free tqi tx! Great deal indeed! (especially since my traxxas link tx just died on me ). It paired right up to my traxxas link rx and im happy again. So the plan is to use the vxl-6s combo with a KMB 28mm jet drive. I'm only doing the KMB because it doesnt cost $400 like the graupner or HK. I plan to run two trx 7600 mAh 2s lipo in series for 4s and then later i will go to 6s. Since it's jet drive, i wont need the prop or rudder stuff . I still plan to use turn fins (stock), and the trim tabs (cnc machined ones). I will somehow make a couple of http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ pickups work for cooling. But anyway, Here's my blank canvas:

I also plan to build or buy a nqd tear into jet boat but that would be after this build for my 11 y/o brother to do rapids with me,
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM
ManDime

Ok dropped the idea of the 540xl with the esc cause of the price. Instead I am going to get the Turnigy 3720 1500kv outrunner motor with water cooling. I also noticed it has 3.5 mm bullets so i'm gonna have to get 5.5mm bullets to solder onto the motor. It should save me $100 right there. I also plan to use two dual transom mount water pickups as trim tabs since i dont need trim tabs that much and the extra couple of pickups will make a interesting rooster-tail at top speed (which will be 30 max). I also have a goal to completing this build. I plan to run the river at New Braunfels and i want to bring it if its complete. If not, then that's fine. I have a few fresh water spots i can run at.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 AM
ManDime

Ok so found an even better designed jet drive by Mickieb from Offshoreelectrics.com. It's a 30mm jet drive unit that has a 3 blade machined impellar which is much better quality than the kmb jet drive. I have also found that it will be best to mount a jet drive on a flat spot rather than the V shape. So i will be cutting about 8 inches off the bottom of the boat. It will be an angled cut so as to not cause cavitation. I am not sure what material i will use yet to fill it and make a spot for the jet drive. I have some sheet metal in the shed and i believe that could work but wont know until i get some definite dimensions of the jet inlet. I also found a motor that will work without soldering on the vxl-6s esc and i will be using it. It's a 1790kv motor. So on 4s, it will be close to the rpm max of the jet drive unit. Should be good for the price.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM
sundogz

Originally Posted by ManDime
I have also found that it will be best to mount a jet drive on a flat spot rather than the V shape. So i will be cutting about 8 inches off the bottom of the boat. It will be an angled cut so as to not cause cavitation. I am not sure what material i will use yet to fill it and make a spot for the jet drive. .
See the reply to your other thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...hread-199.html post 4954 for info on this
Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 PM
ManDime

Thanks for the heads up. The carbon fiber came in friday and i will be making the cut today if i have time.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 PM
ManDime

Here's how the carbon fiber sizes up:

I'll use the extra to plug the rudder hole. I wasnt able to work on it tonight but i will tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
ManDime

Sorry i havent updated yall but if you want to see the build then feel free to look here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...jet-boat-build
Almost done!!!