Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0 preview

BTW, I'm keeping an eye on the weather for this weekend. right now the forecast is for a low of 49 and a high of 74 with mostly sunny skies.
You can check the local TV stations websites at www.wwmt.com or www.woodtv.com .
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else ready?

This week, I got 2 giant 1100amp 12v bus battery's for free!!! They are used, but they work. Power is not gonna be a problem for me.

I picked up the triton 2 charger this week. I returned 85$ worth of pop bottles to pay for most of it! it took me almost an hour and a half at the pop bottle machine!!! easy money

My brushless motor for my 32" mono, and speed controls for that, and my little 6 cell hydro pictured will be here this week. The 32" 16 cell mono is gonna be ready. The install of the motor and ESC is easy. prop tuning is gonna be the tricky part cause it's a 1000KV motor. Lots of tourqe little RPM. Sounds like big prop time! The hydro still needs to have the stuffing tube cut, servo installed, ESC installed...and some final touches. Prop is not ready neither. I doubt I will have it with me. No time.....

Speaking of props..I just ordered some carbon ones from hobbylobby. I ordered one of each. So I have an assortment of props from 35MM to 55MM. I hope one is big enough to push the mono to nice speeds.

The JD blast cat 40 gasser pictured is ready too. I have some screws vibrate loose (my fault for not checking) and Ms.darla and I had to retrieve it after it almost sunk! I drained the water, oiled the motor, dried out the electronics, and just got done lock-titing all the screws today. She should be a blast. Gonna test her out one day this week before the run if I have time.

Alright....I'll stop ranting. Just excited!!! The pics of the BC sitting idle in the water where while it was dead drifting away. It almost sunk a few minutes later buy my flotation kept her up till I could row out and get her!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87042.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	684028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50467.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	684029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78856.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	684030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14293.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	684031  
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Ron Olson

I'm still putting boats together! I was just in the basement getting some more work done and will be back down there in the morning.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Ron Olson

I got a little good news today. This morning I was checking the messages on my answering machine and found one from the local newspaper, the Kalamzoo Gazette and they may be coming up to the park to do a feature story on us! I don't know how they found out but from what I can tell, it was off the internet.
If it happens, the story should be posted online.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 PM
wave waker

Ron, please keep updating what the weather gonna be,,,coz i'll be drivin' 600+ miles to have fun

so if that's the story it will be in the local news, we need to bring our show boats[8D]
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 PM
FE_Chris

Juyl! Dude! (not sure it thats how you spell it! ) 10% chance of rain....76 degrees. Parlty cloudy. Should be nice....

I don't know why, But I baught a Traxxas Villain tonight. I was at the LHS....It was 159$...I like the steerable outdrives......I just said, OK, i'll take it. Maybe we can show the gazzette what a 1st timer should NOT buy LOL What can I say...I dig the scale looks.....

lol Yes, I am an RC addict. Hands down. Without a doubt.

Ron, you and me both buddy! I'm still trying to get all my boats ready. So Far, I got the SV27, and the blast cat, well, and now I guess I have the villain too..... My 32" mono is being built on....Maybe ready, I dunno. I sure hope so.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Ron Olson

Grand Rapids says:

Kalamazoo says:
http://wwmt-radar.freedombroadcasting.net/7day.jpg
Take you pick.
I've been watching both of these and The Weather Channel and none of them have agreed yet as the forecast is changing daily.
We've only have one bad year and that was at Fun Run 2 where late in the day we got one of the nastiest rainstorms that I've seen in years. It was so bad that you were lucky to see 50 feet ahead of you, no kidding.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
wave waker

i really forgot the address of the park, please post the address...

or anybody can give me direction i'm coming from Indiana goin north of I-69...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Ron Olson

I-69 north to I-94 west to exit 81. Go to the second light, Sprinkle Road and turn right. Head north to East "H" Ave. (next light past E. Main) and turn left. That will take you to Gull road. WSW on Gull 3 lights to Brook Drive and turn right. Follow that to where it curves and goes downhill. The park entrance is on the left. Once inside, take the left fork to the site.
This I think is the same route that you came in last year but I'm pretty sure that Darla came in this way.
Chris is already in town!
I've got the truck already loaded and ready to hit the road in the morning. I'll stop and pick up 2 dozen donuts for early arrivals plus I've got a cooler full of pop and bottled water.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Macleod

Have fun guys.

Hope the weather holds out and you get a warm clear day.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Cant wait to see what type of photographed situation that you, Ron, will get yourself into this year....
Old 05-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Ron Olson

I just got up and had to check my mail before heading out. The weather looks good right now as it's warmer than predicted so I won't have to start out dressed for winter.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Ron Olson

Whew, what a short night and long day but boy did we have fun!
We must have had a good 30 people that showed up just to mess around.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
FE_Chris

lol darn, you beet me to first post back from the run! I made it home safe....and sound.

Yeah guys, it was great just like last year. Lots of people showed up this time, and we even atracted some people to the group that just happened to be around. and I'm pretty sure the prize boat went to some people that DID'NT already have 5+ boats like me and more people that are RC nuts. So thats cool.

I got lots of run time just like everyone else did! I ment to take more pictures but I only have a few. I'll post them tomorrow....Ron knows what pictures i'm talking about That was about the only time I had my camera out lol Mark I know got some great shots cause I saw some of them. Juhl as always great to see you man! Mark, everyone else! Wade! I know I forgot some people. Great group of dudes you guys are.

I tell you what, for you dudes that travel and go to all the races....You are living my dream. Thats what I am going to be doing one day when I retire or when I get the time.. Trailor and all. Dozen or more boats, the whole nine! Maybe then I will be able to make time to fuss with a nitro [:'(]...........

I did leave with one thing I did'nt wanna get. As I was driving home, I noticed my nose running more and more, then I started to get a headache...Now I feel achy and tired all around....I think I got a summer time cold [&o] But it was so worth it to tag my AC BC at 47MPH and hang with you fellas! Going to sleep, later fellas!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:16 PM
MsDarla

[&o] I didn't make it.
But Sunday they have the gasoline boat races pretty close.

07 MINI GOLD CUP
40th Mini gold Cup Regatta
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Sherwood Park Pond
Sumpter Township, Michigan
Hosted By: OAKLAND WOLVERINE MODEL BOAT CLUB
This is the oldest running R/C model event in the country.
Take I-94 to the Rawsonville Road Exit (#187), head south on Rawsonville Road (7 miles) to wear road, turn left (East) on wear, approx. 1 mile on the left hand side (park entrance).
Classes: B, D, E & F Hydro, Sport 20, Sport 40, 1/8th Scale, B & D Mono Series, LS-27 Mono, LS-27 Hydro, LS-27 Cat, Novice
Scaled Concourse Trophy, Consolation Heat, winner take all final.
Race Format: 3 rounds of heat racing-racing starts at 9:00 a.m.
Race Rules: IMPBA rules enforced and card checked.
Five (5) boat minimum to make a point series class. You must be able to change frequencies at the race site if conflicts arise.
PARK ENTRANCE FEE: $5.00 for each car.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:56 PM
the_new_guy

I want to thank everybody that helped me get my Swamp Buggy going. It was a good time. I was really interested in the wide variety of boat designs. I was even more impressed with how far some of you folks travelled and how helpful everyone was.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Ron Olson

Welcome to the site. That was a good looking airboat that you brought yesterday, too bad that I didn't get any shots of it. Here are a few that I did get though, http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/floatsfast/ , mostly the first 1-1/2 pages.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
FE_Chris

Thanks for the pics ron. I feel like crap [&o] I slept for about 11 hours last night, and I still need to go unpack.

New guy....No problem man....We like to help. The more people you help, the more that show up. Thats RC, if no one helped this hobby would die. The new guys need help, and i'm still quite a new guy myself with only 2 years or so of RC boating under my belt.

Later dudes! I'm gonna go unpack, and if I feel good enough, i'm going to the pond. God I love going to the pond, even sick lol
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Ron Olson

I'm whooped myself. I came home last night, watched the NASCAR race the hit the hay. I'm eating lunch rightnow then have to go out and unload.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:07 PM
boat 58

I had a wonderful time meeting new boaters and just "messing around" and a special thanks to Ron for nice time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81434.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	688154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81082.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	688155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75478.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	688156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82215.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	688157  
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
wave waker

i would like to say thanks to everyone and families who showed up in the fun run...nice meeting and talking guys,,
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Ron Olson

Cris, boat 58 and Wave Walker, I just uploaded a video with the 3 of your boats in it. I knew that I had it somewhere!
If you look closely you can see WW's boogie board airboat getting some air while in a turn.
http://rcuvideos.com/item/772KN3N4Y9Z401S9
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Macleod

Ron,

Did you get the Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro onto the water at the fun run........If so How did it run ?????
Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Ron Olson

We ran it several times. We being me and my son. The boat ran pretty well early in the day until the wind and waves starting kicking up. I got to run it against FE Chris' BL version and we were running right together with neither of us really having a edge speedwise but I also didn't have the carb close to being dialed in..
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
dirtysouth31

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

plus I've got a cooler full of POP and bottled water.
hey ron im originally from coldwater,michigan and cant remember the last time i heard somebody say pop instead of soda
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 PM
FE_Chris

Yeah, the SVN is a nice boat, but just like mine, it has problems handling the wind and chop. I had mine trimmed down quite a bit, and my battery's where more forward than normal, and it still was riding on it's prop!

SV's are great boats IMO. Nitro, electric, take yer pic. They both rock.

I still don't have my camera out yet, sorry lol

ORIGINAL: Macleod

Ron,

Did you get the Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro onto the water at the fun run........If so How did it run ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.