Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hate gettin ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:27 PM
shattingham01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hate gettin ripped off

hate gettin ripped off so i orderedsome parts online the other day for the first time with my h&r block card from my tax returns, and some slimo is buyin airplane tickets from carribean air!!!!! AARRGGH F$%#@ I don't really understand how online scamming works but i tell ya what it really really jerks my chain. oh and it's sunday and there is nothin i can do till tommorow
Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
rc awesome

Default RE: hate gettin ripped off

That sucks BADLY. I hate people sometimes.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite part is talking to the bank, filling out paperwork/statements, and panicking for a month.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
res3567

I always try to use PayPal....
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately Paypal isn't bulletproof either.

If you happen to have a trojan or keylogger on your computer...nothing is really bulletproof because any form of payment is only as strong as it's password.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 AM
sloppyG

H&R block card... did you do one of these "refund anticipation" loans...

you already got ripped by H&R block!

always use a credit card, not a debit card and shop at reputable vendors
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
shattingham01

no screw the refund anticipation loan, seems ridiculous to me.  The only places i used the card online at was rpm, new era models, and rc raven. thats it. rpm uses shopatron, whatever the hell that is, and im not sure what new era and rc raven use. however i do know that i am seriously ticked off, i hope this guy gets Montezuma's  revenge while he is traveling around on my dime.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Moontan13

ORIGINAL: Teknic

If you happen to have a trojan or keylogger on your computer...nothing is really bulletproof because any form of payment is only as strong as it's password.
Paypal be very very good to me.

Paypal claims their system has never lost a clients money. I had two transactions go bad on ebay (hijacked ebay accounts) and paypal had my money back within 12 days both times.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Moontan13

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

Most debit cards carry the same protection as credit cards, so you can challenge a payment and get your money back.
Best to ask and make sure at your bank though.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Moontan13

Most debit cards carry the same protection as credit cards, so you can challenge a payment and get your money back.
the do have the same protection, but while the bank is figuring out it was fraud is the difference

with a debit card, your checking account is drained of the funds until it's straightened out

with a credit card, your cash on hand and bank account is not effected

may seem minor, but wait till the bank's got your entire checking account locked up due to fraud
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
OvalRacer99

the do have the same protection, but while the bank is figuring out it was fraud is the difference

with a debit card, your checking account is drained of the funds until it's straightened out

may seem minor, but wait till the bank's got your entire checking account locked up due to fraud
I rufuse to have ANY credit cards, such a ripoff the interest and fees they charge. So instead I have 2 seperate checking accounts.
I use one for on line purchases only and transfer only enough to cover it. Can't take anything that isn't there and they can't access the other account.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

I rufuse to have ANY credit cards, such a ripoff the interest and fees they charge. So instead I have 2 seperate checking accounts.
I use one for on line purchases only and transfer only enough to cover it. Can't take anything that isn't there and they can't access the other account.

The credit cards I use have no fees or interest as long as I pay the balance off, in full, every month.
Also, I would not be so sure that the accounts cannot be linked or accessed. People willing to operate outside the law can do some very scary things with informwtion and the internet...

IMO, to this point, sloppyG is the only person who has made any sense with his replys.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Moontan13

That's what I do. I transfer money to that account only when needed.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paypal claims their system has never lost a clients money. I had two transactions go bad on ebay (hijacked ebay accounts) and paypal had my money back within 12 days both times.
Paypal is exactly how my account got compromised. Paypal will pay you back if your Paypal account got drained, but Paypal will act like childish little *******s if they are the reason your BofA account was hit.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Paypal is exactly how my account got compromised. Paypal will pay you back if your Paypal account got drained, but Paypal will act like childish little *******s if they are the reason your BofA account was hit.

if you use a credit card instead of paypal, you wouldn't have been out of your money for 12 days, you wouldn't have been out of money at all

credit cards do allow people to get themselves into trouble, but used responsibly, they're very useful and have benefits over other forms of payment
Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Moontan13

if you use a credit card instead of paypal, you wouldn't have been out of your money for 12 days, you wouldn't have been out of money at all
I cut up my credit cards 11 years ago, I have no need to borrow andI don't live so close to the economic edge that a 12 daywait for a refund of a few hundred dollars is a big deal. Not saying my way is the only way, but I'm happy with it. I like having the PayPal buffer between me and the sellers on ebay. I'd rather not be giving card info directly to them.
YMMV.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
sloppyG

credit cards aren't evil or out to get you, they just need to be used responsibly

and if used responsibly, their benefits outweigh their negatives by a large margin
Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

credit cards aren't evil or out to get you, they just need to be used responsibly

and if used responsibly, their benefits outweigh their negatives by a large margin
yes, i get 1% cash back in canadian-tire money(a store we have in canada, and my favorite) for all of my purshache of the month with one of my credit card. i can use that $ in store only.
with my other credit card, i get 0.5% cash back in real canadian money on all of my purshache of the month. i can use that $ where i want.

i pay almost everything with then, you just have to pay it before you receive the bill and you dont have interest.
i dont know how it is in usa, but here you need credit cards to build credit if you want to buy a house...