Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

official smartech buggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Ryan11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: official smartech buggy thread

Trig, clutches are universal, all nitro cars either have the 2 clutch shoe design (like smartech) or the 3 clutch shoe design. If its the 2 shoe design then it will fit. simple.

Ryan.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:18 AM
speed_ace76

I figured out what was wrong with the servo... it was the on and off switch. I need to replace it; it has a short in it. Does anyone have an idea, what is the best one for this model i have... it is the vh-x5. I was at a local hobby shop today, and It will take over 14 days to get it ordered... I really don't want to wait... anyone have any ideas what the best thing for me to do?

Lee
Old 06-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Ryan11

For an off/on switch? o_O Theyre all the same stupid, why would there be a best one for your model?

Ryan.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:53 AM
speed_ace76

hey, I told you i am new at this... give me a break..you were at one time too..... I understand they are all the same (i'm not retarded.) i am just wondering which brand is best or which one will last longer, and who is the best for shipping fast?

Lee
Old 06-18-2006, 07:03 AM
boltech

There is no real brand with switches. I'm surprised your LHS does not have them in stock. they are a very common part.

ORIGINAL: speed_ace76

hey, I told you i am new at this... give me a break..you were at one time too..... I understand they are all the same (i'm not retarded.) i am just wondering which brand is best or which one will last longer, and who is the best for shipping fast?

Lee
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 AM
DoDaMan

NEED SOME HELP

For some reason now the car wont steer at all. I havent run it in a week and started it last night. Started right up but the steering wont work! I checked all screws ( all tight ) and the trim. Nothing! Everything turns when I move the wheels by hand. Nothing is hitting anything either, all batteries are charged.

What could it be??[>:]
Old 06-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Ryan11

Does the throttle work using the controller, if not then it could be that your reciever has broken or a connection has come loose. Speed_ace76, yea I was once new to RC but its a switch geeze, nothing special. Any switch will work, there are no special properties for different switches just get one from school (if you go to school) or a local electical shop, there like 50p each ($1 if your american)

Ryan.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
speed_ace76

boltech, my LHS is out of switches. so, i just will have to wait.. thanks for the help. i will look around for something i can use.

ryan, no need to be rude.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Ryan11

Im not being rude but stating the obvious, you could connect the wires together and to turn it off you disconnect the batteries.

Ryan.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:07 PM
docphysics

I am not sure what engine it supposed to go in. I just buy them at my LHS and they work SWEET! I have been running the same set for 4 months without a detonation. And I just pulled the bell off and there is little to no wear on the shoes. It is grooving in the clutch bell nicely though............

ORIGINAL: trinogt

Doc Physics, that is cool news! What was this Kyosho clutch designed to fit on? Where can I find it? Is it the same as the MP7.5 I see associated with the IF-204 when I google the shoes?

Looking in the US for this, maybe my hobby shop carries this? Is it a specific clutch for all .15 engines, or do you order for another type of car?

Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 PM
docphysics

All RIGHT my friends! I am BACK in action! After destroying my buggy in a horrific crash (and after getting married and going on my honeymoon), I rebuilt my winner sport. Better, faster, stronger......... Here is my list of parts I ordered through Tower Hobby and Excel Hobby (recieved both orders within one week).

Full set of bearings - WOW!!!!!! what a difference!!!
Traxxas High Performance Tuned Pipe T-Maxx - #4942 - direct fit
Traxxas Pipe Coupler T-Maxx 2.5 - #5246 - direct fit
HPI Aluminum Exhaust Header Nitro 3 - #86037 - direct fit + boosted exhaust flow with some dremmeling
Futaba 2 PL controller - channel 83
Futaba S3003 - servos for throttle and steering
DuraTrax Micro Fail Safe Unit
SMT wheels and tires

Also check out the picture of my "no cost" mod to the shocks. I stole and idea from NASCAR's use of spring rubbers and I added some rolled duct tape and a twist tie to the top of the spring which effectly stiffens the spring. Much less bottoming out, and leaning through the corners.

Needless to say this thing SCREAMS NOW!!!!! My neighbors could not believe how fast it was going. I could only hold WOT for a second before it was down to the end of the street. I could not believe how well it rolls after letting off the gas. Those bearing make all the difference!!! Enjoy the pics......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92993.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	479440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58199.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	479441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69805.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	479442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53053.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	479443  
Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Ryan11

Sweet! have you got any pics after the crash, see how mangled it was :P I might crash mine for a reason to get more, better parts hehe.

Ryan.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
docphysics

Amazingly, there was no real damage to the chassis or suspension. It was body and elctronics damage. So pictures wouldn't be that great. I ordered a new body and I am working on a custom flame job now. I'll post pics when I finish.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:31 AM
E_V

F*** i just crashed and broke my rear bulkhead by the looks of it[:@].............off to see the damage cya

bdw i was controlling the buggy from my window
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Ryan11

lmao E_V

Ryan.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
rjd130473

Hey docphysics
What bearings did you order? Do they reduce the play at each wheel? Lots of guys in this forum talk about the bearings, but I'm not sure what kit to buy etc. Are they universal? I have a winner sport buggy.
Your performance pipe is sweet btw.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
docphysics

Hey rjd,

Yea, the bearings totally reduce the slop in the wheel caused by egging in the bushings. These bearings will fit your buggy, $20 shipped to the door from Hong Kong. So worth it..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smartech-upgrade...QQcmdZViewItem

ORIGINAL: rjd130473

Hey docphysics
What bearings did you order? Do they reduce the play at each wheel? Lots of guys in this forum talk about the bearings, but I'm not sure what kit to buy etc. Are they universal? I have a winner sport buggy.
Your performance pipe is sweet btw.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
rjd130473

Hey thanks for the link to the bearings - just ordered me a set. $21 Australian delivered which is about $16 US. Not bad. Can't wait to get 'em.
Another question - does the tuned pipe really give a lot more power? I just got an HPI header, but haven't installed it yet.
Last question - there have been mixed opinions on this forum about nylon or alloy clutch shoes. Do the alloy ones eat the clutch bell or not? And if they do, how long before the bell needs replacing?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
docphysics

rjd,

Here is my experience. I replaced the bearings, header, and pipe all in one shot. My buggy is NOTICEABLY FASTER! MUCH FASTER!!!! I don't know how much the tuned pipe helped, but everyone else says it helps. I think the biggest improvement is definitely with the bearings though.....

Yes, alloy clutch shoes WILL wear away the clutch bell. I have been running my alloy shoes about 4 months and there is noticeable wear on the clutch bell. I probably have about 2-4 months left on the bell. How long it will last depends on how much and how hard you drive. I run about 2-3 hours per week. Regardless of whether you run alloy or nylon shoes, you will be replaceing either the shoes or the bell eventually. So just keep a spare on hand. I got my extra bell waiting. I like the alloy shoes cuz it makes the buggy explode off the line...... Hope that helps.......

ORIGINAL: rjd130473

Hey thanks for the link to the bearings - just ordered me a set. $21 Australian delivered which is about $16 US. Not bad. Can't wait to get 'em.
Another question - does the tuned pipe really give a lot more power? I just got an HPI header, but haven't installed it yet.
Last question - there have been mixed opinions on this forum about nylon or alloy clutch shoes. Do the alloy ones eat the clutch bell or not? And if they do, how long before the bell needs replacing?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
RangerXXX

I don't know if raidentech is ever going to restock their parts. I asked them when they would on April 24 and they said 5-6 weeks then again June 19 and they said 4-6 weeks.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 AM
trinogt

Umm... I though the Winner Sport already has bearings in the wheel hubs? I thought for sure they did when I last had my hubs off...

I like your upgrades, Doc! My 'noise suppressor' fell off one time after a rollover, and it was running from the open head pipe. It sounded great with the added decibels!
Probably lost some torque though, given the dynamics of tuned pipe...
Now, I just need a reliable source for a spare clutch bell, so I can go by way of alloy clutch shoes...

Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Ryan11

yea the nylon clutch shoes will last longer than the alloy clutch setup but you dont get as good acceleration, I had an aluminium clutch and I always had a spare clutch bell lying round.

Ryan.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Ryan11

O yea I forgot to mention, Them ballbearings are really cheap, only 2 left... Well 1 now, ive just bought some

Ryan.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
speed_ace76

okay.. I finally got it started and it stays started... Yahoo!!! but, I can't get it to actually move. when I give it some gas, it just starts to kind of creep along. I checked to see if it is stuck on idle, and I couldn't tell if it was.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do next? I hope it isn't the clutch. How can I tell if it is?

Thanks for your help,

Lee

I have the master vh-x5
Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
docphysics

What happens when you give it full throttle? It just creeps along with the engine wound out? Is the clutch bell spinning? Are the tranny gears spinning? Are the drive shafts spinning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.