Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

.15 Engine Recommedations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

.15 Engine Recommedations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 08:42 AM
KamikaziRcPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .15 Engine Recommedations

I'm looking to build a combat plane, therefore the need for a dependable .15 sized engine. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks...
Old 10-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Montague

Default RE: .15 Engine Recommedations

Part of the answer depends on what class you are flying.

If you're flying SSC, you are limite to $60 for the engine, making the Magnum .15, the Megatech .15 and the OS .15LA the most common choices (not necessarly in that order).

If you're flying A class or something else, the OS CV-A is hard to beat, though a tad expensive. But it is more reliable and has great power.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:28 PM
DrCR
My Feedback: (1)

I love my .15 Enya!

I was given to me along with an old Futaba radio, but it was never used. Not sure how hard it would be to find an Enya now, but they made great engines then and I sure they still do.

DrCR
Old 11-03-2003, 07:30 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

May I add what to many would be an unlikely candidate? A Fox .15 R/C. Yes, this is not a typo. Listed in the Tower Hobbies cataloge @ $59.99, it makes the SSC price limit, and let me tell you, this is one strong engine! 17,300 rpm on only 15% nitro, 20% oil Byrons and it runs the entire tank like this, start to finish. The engine is much beefier than the Magnum or OS. In fact, I had to use a Dave Brown .25 size mount. The only thing I did to the stock engine was put a dab of JB Weld on the carb barrel retaining screw and a dab on the rather short muffler screws. Of course, parts availability is always "in stock" direct from Fox. This engine took a little more time to break in (about one hour run time on the bench), but so far the results seem to be worth it. Weak points? Three: the short muffler screws and carb barrel screw (solved above), and the flange mounting of the carb itself..... could be a weak spot in an metal to metal mid-air, but then again, this is a weak spot on any engine. The real test will come this weekend when I campaign it in SSC at the Jetero meet in Houston. I'll do a follow up with how the engine performed in contest trim.
Regards,
GPB
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Lou Melancon

Hi GlowPlugBoy,
I have run the Magnum, ASP, and OS LA. It has been years since I've run Fox although I still have some .25 stunts, and 36Xs combat engines in the cabinet, I think somewhere I even has a Fox .59 used many years ago.

The OS LA .15 broken in properly will turn 17,300 on 5% PowerMaster Fuel, 18,000 on 10% and close to 18,300 on 15% using the MA 8X3 SSC prop. The Magnums run similarly. Each engine has its pros and cons but both work well in SSC combat.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:01 PM
glowplugboy

Hi there Lou,
It's Mike from GCBM R/C (aka glowplugboy). We met in Paris. Me and the GCRC boys fly alot of Magnums and OS's, but I must admit none of us have achieved those figures on so little nitro. My Magnum .15's tach 17,300 on YS 20/20, and around 17,800 on 30% Heli. I wish ours COULD run at the SSC limit on less nitro.
Now regarding the Fox. What is interesting about the little Fox is how it seems to unload in the air.... definitely stronger than any of my Magnums. The plane is clearly flying faster than with my Magnums as well. Launch rpm is around 17,300, but at speed the prop tips sound close to going super sonic. You note I said 'close". A couple of good "dirt naps" will really tell the tale on the Fox, that is, see how it does after a few sub terra firma experiences. Only time will tell regarding durability and long term performance.
Regards,
Mike

www.gcbmrc.com
Old 11-03-2003, 09:25 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

You'd have to be turning the SSC 7" prop over 30000 rpm to get near supersonic! I do agree the old Fox 15 does run pretty good. I just never liked the carb mounting method. I have a shoebox full of my old Mark IVs from my CL combat days. I miss that more than anything but the destruction and the speed they were going just got to be too much for me.
basmntdweller
Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Cajun

I've always liked Fox engines. Properly broken in they will last forever. And, your right, they're service is first rate by very nice people.

But the first dirt nap in cambat the muffler will break off and take pieces of the crankcase with it. Duke Fox (may he rest in peace) just never learned how to attach a muffler to an engine.

so, I'm going to reserve my Foxes for sport and run my Mags and Leos in combat.

Cajun[8D]
Old 11-03-2003, 10:25 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

You'd have to be turning the SSC 7" prop over 30000 rpm to get near supersonic!
Ha! Well, maybe it's just the noisy muffler then, but the 8"prop and engine does have a real growl to it unique from the Magnums.

Hey Cajun, I fixed the Fox since Alazon. I retapped the muffler screw holes to 6-32 and the muffler is really tight. I agree though, first dirt nap and the muffler will probably break off, pretty darn thin pot metal there. I am impressed by the power of this little Fox. And yes, if I can keep most of the dirt I collect out of it, it will last a long time. See you at Jetero?

Regards,
Mike
Old 11-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Cajun

Mike, with the group of flyers we got coming to Houston Jetero I predict the little Fox will be ingesting some more dirt

Cajun[8D]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
glowplugboy

Cajun, now I know you fellows from East Texas are all kind, caring, Christian young men who would never intentionally cause anyone harm, not even anyone's Fox .15. With this in mind, here is what I need all of you to do: fly around in nice big left hand turn circles during the round, and I will fly right behind you. This way, no mid airs can happen, and no dirt will be injested into my precious Fox .15!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
thojo

Cajun, that Fox of Mikes is indeed a strong performer, he cartwheeled his SSC plane into the weeds and the darn thing kept running. he went over, picked up the plane and threw it back into the air...
Old 11-05-2003, 12:19 AM
glowplugboy

Yep, when I got to the airplane the engine had literally cut a nice little patch of indigenous grass and weeds! I traced some inconsistant running to a leaky fuel tank, so now it is running very steady. Of course, contest time will have some effect on the engine... it will probably shred a bearing. Ha!
GPB
Old 11-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

You'd have to be turning the SSC 7" prop over 30000 rpm to get near supersonic!
Ha! Well, maybe it's just the noisy muffler then, but the 8"prop and engine does have a real growl to it unique from the Magnums.

Hey Cajun, I fixed the Fox since Alazon. I retapped the muffler screw holes to 6-32 and the muffler is really tight. I agree though, first dirt nap and the muffler will probably break off, pretty darn thin pot metal there. I am impressed by the power of this little Fox. And yes, if I can keep most of the dirt I collect out of it, it will last a long time. See you at Jetero?

Regards,
Mike

Here is the way things looked at the Jetero meet on Sat. 11/08.

Flying, (sorry about that fence top bar in the way), more flying, the flight-line, and taking a break over Sloppy Joe sandwiches, Hot Dogs, Coffee, Sodas, and freshly fried French fries, with the game on TV. Little cool for Houston, but low wind and lots of good fliers. Thanks, guys, for sharing your day with us. You put on one Heck of a Show.

Edited to say, Thanks to CD Pat Wilcox for bringing SSC to Jetero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23726.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	73351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64780.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	73352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89976.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	73353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25419.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	73354  
Old 11-09-2003, 01:35 AM
pat_willcox

Thanks Horrace for the kind words. What a great day of "Slow and Survivable Combat" by the 21 contestants at the Jetero club site. The field was "story book" perfect in a golf course greens manicure. We did 2 heats per round with 8 to 10 pilots airborn in each heat. A big thanks to all those who attended, the club members who made the field so lovely and the kitchen detail that prepared the delicious lunch. Also thanks to Mike McGraw of GCRCM hobbies for his prizes donated and to George Cleveland of GRW Hobbies for his prizes donated. Last but not least our winners: 1) Mark Laboyteaux 2911,
2) Randy Dodson 2656, 3) Mike Willcox 2404. Sunday we do "Open B" for some more fun.

Pat Willcox
AMA 262/ RCCA 632
Old 11-09-2003, 02:22 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike,

What is the crankshaft size on the Fox 15BB........I am looking for a .15 with a 1/4" shaft, all the others are 5mm and bend easily................
Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 AM
glowplugboy

I believe the crank is 1/4" on the little Fox. It was the strongest engine in the field for three rounds, but I had to retire it because the darn muffler screw threads stripped again. I am going to send it to Fox and ask them to see if they can come up with a way to fix the problem. @ $59.00, this engine runs stronger than the Magnums on less nitro...
Old 11-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Tattoo

Fox was our choice for A class engines for many years. I say "was" for the very reason Cajun mentions...durability. Mid-airs and dirt naps took the muffler and carb bosses off way too easily. Once Magnum came up with a good .15, that also prooved to be MUCH tougher in crashes, the FOX's were scrapped. I still have one, and it's a screamer...but not for combat.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:17 PM
glowplugboy

Yep, I can see your point... the muffler attachment is a poor design whether it is used in combat or just sport flown. Oh well []
Old 11-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Cajun

If Fox had changed the muffler mount and put a decent carb on his engines he would have controlled the engine business. The engines themselves were great.

Thanks to the Jetero R/C Club for letting us fly combat on their field. This was the most beautiful field I have ever flown on and absolutely the best for combat. I've seen golf courses that didn't look this good. Darn nice folks too.

Mike, I hope I was not the one who put your Fox powered plane down. It seemed like I hit every plane in the sky at some time or another. I could just not stay out of other guys way.

It was a fine meet and Pat wilcox did an outstanding job of organizing and managing it.

I hope this is the first of many meets in the Houston area.

Cajun[8D]
Old 11-10-2003, 07:25 AM
glowplugboy

Cajun, I took the Fox powered plane out of service because the muffler mounting threads had yet again stripped... time to devise another muffler mountin method! I don't think you hit me at all Saturday, although I bet you tried! And YES, many thanks to Pat Wilcox for a fine meet. It is a privilege to be a memeber of Jetero!
Regards,
Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 03:48 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

How come somebody didn't mention Norvel engines? I have one that will scald a .15 anyday, with any fuel. Thinking about trying a CV-15 though.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:51 PM
glowplugboy

As long as the Norvel costs $60 or less, it's legal, and if memory serves me correctly, it is..... are you referring to the CVA .15 made by OS Max? That one costs more than $60 and therefore would not be legal for SSC...
Old 11-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Hat Trick

I've heard god things about the Thunder Tiger .15. It is basically a FP clone. I haven't ran one yet but I did just order a couple.

It does have a slightly larger crank.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 PM
glowplugboy

My goodness! An engine that is likened unto God? Dang, I better get me a couple of them! Just make sure your fuel has some castor oil for those bushings!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.