Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

need more info on counter steer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

need more info on counter steer

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need more info on counter steer

i get the basics. i know that some have setup the rear tires to spin faster than the front. and that that usually involves a belt driven 4wd with a smaller spur in the rear.
so, hear is my issue. i have an exceed mad speed. now IMO, its not a bad little car for the money. it drift pretty well as-is, but not like in vids i have seen of counter steer setups.
now, the exceed is a shaft driven car. i dont think i can have any way to gear up the rear end by itself.
however, i do have a nice mustang body....and i have 2 different sets of drift tires. one set is just flat smooth plastic over a rim, and the other set is a profiled smooth rubber tire on a rim. in other words, on set has a slightly larger diameter.
now, what i need to know is will it be enough? for a counter steer setup, how much faster does the rear have to spin in relation to the front?
lastly, do i have to find some way to increase the steering angle as well?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91920.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1542573  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
kstmRYD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need more info on counter steer

In order to counter steer you need the rear tires to turn a minimum of half a rotation more than the front. So for every one rotation of the front the rear does one and one half. You cannot achieve that much rotation with a larger diameter tire. I saw an exceed madspeed with 2.0 counter using a team associated gear.

With 1.5 CS ratio, don't worry too much about steering angle, see if you can shave off the steer stops on the steer knuckles this should give you the angle you will need.

this is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5I7_vlszQ
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanx! that info helps very much.
so my tire trick wont do much of anything.
i looked at that vid, i hope the guy will answer my question as to what part number i need.
its winter hear now, but i cant wait to start drifting again in the spring. especially if i can try a counter steer setup on my car.
here is one other shell i have for her
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55833.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1542718  
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 AM
LILJAY2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihave been drifting countersteer for a while now here in Japan, two main things for countersteer is parallel steering and like you said rear tires turn faster. Even though your car is shaft driven you can installed countersteer gears, look at you rear diff case and look at your gearing, Yokomo sells countersteer sets 1.5 and 2.0 I have it installed ina Yokomo MRTC-4 LCGcahssis, by the say trying to sell it for $350 dollars with motor installed, drop in your radio and battery and you are off
Attached Images