Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:09 PM
jkamaris96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

ORIGINAL: dirt101

their both really good, so you cant go wrong, if you ever plan to go to a track get a rustler but if you just want to play around get the pede. I personally have a rustler and love it.
Going to do mostly back yard driving in the grass.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
seth556
My Feedback: (3)

I would get a stampede for that. But they are both great, and a lot alike.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
TopSpeedTimmy

Also, 8-cells will give you a temporary speed boost, but in the long run it will fry your motor, and possibly your ESC as well. Stick with a good 6-cell, and maybe 7-cell battery such as the IB 3800-4200, DTX 3800-4200 (as fast as IB 4200 that I have). Get and swap to Deans connectors for your batteries and ESC, and ball bearings.
Slo-V: I ran a 8-cell in my stock Rustler for about 8 months with no problems. No problems running 6-cells with the other XL-5 rustler either; the XL-5 seems to be reliable. Obviously, with this kind of voltage running through your XL-5 and Titan, you will need to gear down in order not to fry anything. I have been running 16/86 and 15/86 the whole time with 5" Pro-line Moab tires; this gives me 30+ mph with wheelies. With stock tires and the stock 23/86 gearing I was getting 35+. The motor stays below the temperature I used to get with a 6-cell and stock 23/86 gearing with stock tires. That is with grass/dirt/ snow driving. One very important fact to point out is that the Traxxas Rustler manual says the XL-5 ESC can handle up to 8 cells. My 8-cell battery died before my Titan did!!! Many, many cycles and the Titan is still going strong, it is a closed-endbell, non-rebuildable, 0 degree-timed motor; this makes it last a long time. Just make sure you gear down!
Stampede vs. Rustler: The stampede is exactly the same except the body, body posts, chassis, and tires. In my opinion the Rustler is better either on the track or off. With high-ground clearance tires (Stamped size which is about 5" ), the Rustler can tackle pretty much the same terrain, except you might get hung up a little more. Not much of a problem, considering the MUCH better center of gravity on the Rustler far out-weighs that. Because of the fact that the Stampede jacks the battery up a few inches on the high chassis, it will do wheelies much better with out much power, though this makes traction rolling/ tipping very common. If you are considering a high-power, brushless set up, the Rustler will be able to handle the power much better.
To sum it up: Monster truck looks, wheelies with stock power, and a little more off-road capabilities VS. better handling, good center of gravity, and handles high-power set ups much better.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
jkamaris96

Stampede vs. Rustler: The stampede is exactly the same except the body, body posts, chassis, and tires. In my opinion the Rustler is better either on the track or off. With high-ground clearance tires (Stamped size which is about 5" ), the Rustler can tackle pretty much the same terrain, except you might get hung up a little more. Not much of a problem, considering the MUCH better center of gravity on the Rustler far out-weighs that. Because of the fact that the Stampede jacks the battery up a few inches on the high chassis, it will do wheelies much better with out much power, though this makes traction rolling/ tipping very common. If you are considering a high-power, brushless set up, the Rustler will be able to handle the power much better.
To sum it up: Monster truck looks, wheelies with stock power, and a little more off-road capabilities VS. better handling, good center of gravity, and handles high-power set ups much better.
How much did the tires cost you?
It seems that the pede has a higher popularity rating though. My inexperience in R/C-ing is leaving me quite indecisive.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:05 PM
TopSpeedTimmy

I got the Moabs 2.2 for 14.99 a pair, but Towerhobbies lowered the price to 12.99 a pair right now. This is a great deal. Sticks to the road (especially on hot days), and has good grip on all terrain such as grass, dirt, snow, and gravel.
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDK4&P=7[/link]
Buy 2 sets of those for Front and Rear. They won't work on the 2.8" stock rim for the new Rustler, you will need 2.2" rims. Such as the ones offered by RPM (a bit expensive)
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=RPM+2.2%22+TRAXXAS+WHEEL&FVPROFIL=++&search=Go[/link]
or you could get Traxxas 2.2" rims (cheaper, the ones I got) I spray-painted mine black.
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=TRAXXAS+2.2+RIM&FVPROFIL=++&search=Go[/link]
for pre-painted Chrome Traxxas rims:
Front: [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJF50&P=7[/link]
Rear: [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJF49&P=7[/link]
Here is what I said about high-ground clearance tires for the Rustler in a previous post
Stampede tires and rims will definitely work on the rustler , because they have the exact same suspension. However Traxxas themselves say on their website that the talons have "long-wear" and "slide on asphalt". This means they may not be the best choice for your Rustler they seem to be matched to the Stampede's high center of gravity. For high ground clearance tires for the Rustler , I think the Pro-line Moabs and Masher 2000 are a very good choice. I measured both tires exactly, the Mashers come in at Exactly 5", whereas the Moabs have a slightly smaller diameter at a little over 4.9". I did a detailed study of both tires, With me driving a stock-tired Rustler , and my brother driving a Mashered Rustler right next to it. It's easier to wip the car around with the low-profile stock tires.Compared to the stock 4.2" tires the Moab/ Mashers seem to "fold over" in the turns because of the high side-wall of the tires, decreasing steering sensitivity. The large tires seem to handle rough terrain a little better when compared to the stockers, because it rolls over the large bumps easier and seemingly "absorbs" them. The higher rotating mass of the tires will mean more back flips for you. With a stock (that's right, STOCK) 12T Titan, XL-5 ESC, 8-cell battery, and Moab tires, I was able to pull a back flip off a ramp placed on top of a snow mound. I have had no problems at all with the stock XL-5 ESC, even with 8-cells. But with 8-cells and heavy, large-diameter tires, proper gearing is in order. I find that for good torque, acceleration, and wheelies, the 15 tooth pinion with the stock 86 tooth spur gear was a good choice, with this gear I was able to pull 3-5 mph rolling wheelies. For a little more speed and smoother terrain, an 18 tooth pinion gear was good. In the cold winter weather that I did the test the Moabs seemed to get a little better snow-grip than the Mashers.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 PM
What-A-Rusty

I got Pede talons on Ebay all 4 for 38 dollars including the shipping. I'm running a Checkpoint mony motor and 15t pinion in my Rusty. LOVE it. The Rustler jumps OUTRAGOUS...go with the Rustler, get bearings some RPM parts a good 19 or 17 turn motor and a quality motor, BIG tires, aluminum idler, and some lower pinion gears and your friend with the PEDE will be SOOO jealous.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
bishoco

I got my brand new Rustler (my first RC car) on Thursday. I took it out in the backyard and had a great time.

Sunday, I took it the local hobby shop, Competition Hobby in Tucson, AZ, with a VERY nice indoor track for the open practice. I had a blast. It was running kind of loud and the gears sounded like they were grinding a little bit. So, some guys there helped me adjust the gear mesh. It ran great after that.

Would it be a good idea to lubricate those gears a little with some WD-40? Or would that cause them to slip? What parts on the Rustler are good to lubricate to keep it in good running order?

I'm loving it so far.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
TopSpeedTimmy

Most people don't lubricate the spur gear, because it is relatively open to dirt and debris that could stick to it if it was greased. That would increase wear.
No, the gears wouldn't slip as long as you set you're mesh right.
The stock Titan motor has bushings in it, front and rear in the motor can. The motor armature will be able to spin easier if you lubricate those every 15 runs or so. Make sure you wipe up excess grease, so as not to attract dirt. If you still have the stock bushings in the axles, those should be lubricated too. I don't think it's necessary to lubricate the U-joints or the slider drive-shaft.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
bishoco

Cool. I won't worry about lubricating for a while, then.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
maxxdout

Hey,
When i get my rustler i am going to change out the body becuase , well to me it kinda looks ugly [:'(]
Will the hpi nitro mt2 body fit on it or will any 1/10 stadium truck body fit?

Thanx
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
PedeBeater

Will these work? They have a 12mm hex.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRGT1&P=ML
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM
maxxdout

work with the rustler? If the rustler has a 12mm hex drvie in the rear, they should work......
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
PedeBeater

Whay just the rear? I don't understand.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
bud09

they'll fit front and rear if it fits the rear. anyway... yes they should fit.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
TopSpeedTimmy

They will fit on the Rustler/Stamped 12mm hex drives. The problem comes with the off-set. The stock rear wheels don't have much off-set (close to zero), whereas the front wheels have quite a bit of off-set (not sure exactly how much). Those rock-crawling wheels look like they have a pretty good amount of off-set (might work on the front). Changing the off-set will probably ruin the suspension geometry. I wouldn't put those on a stock Rustler/Stampede unless you plan on doing a lot of modifying to make up for the off-set.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
PedeBeater

ORIGINAL: TopSpeedTimmy

They will fit on the Rustler/Stamped 12mm hex drives. The problem comes with the off-set. The stock rear wheels don't have much off-set (close to zero), whereas the front wheels have quite a bit of off-set (not sure exactly how much). Those rock-crawling wheels look like they have a pretty good amount of off-set (might work on the front). Changing the off-set will probably ruin the suspension geometry. I wouldn't put those on a stock Rustler/Stampede unless you plan on doing a lot of modifying to make up for the off-set.
I widened my truck so I need offset wheels in the front and in the back.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Checkpointracer

Hey guys its been a very long time since I've been on the rustler thread. Anyway, I'm doing a rustler project that I call ShadowJet, I'm wondering how many teeth of a pinion gear I should use with a novak GTB 7.5R veliciti brushless.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Kelby90

Hi,

I am new to R/C and have just ordered the New Rustler. I just wondered wether this was a good choice of first car also, what do you think i should upgrade first? I have ordered a 3300Mah 6 cell pack to use with it,
Any advice or tips you have i will be greatful if you share them.

Ryan
Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 PM
budha24

I like the 6 cell 3300 gp packs I picked mine up at radio shack. I am also gonna run an 8 cell 4300 pack for the first time either today or tomorrow. I also am new to the electric side of RC and was wondering if anyone could quickly explain gearing such as 19/84 I understand they are sizes, but what are the advantages and disadvantages to running the different pinions and spur gears?I am running the xl5 pretty much stock with some rpm upgrades.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:12 PM
wesbronco75

The Rustler is a great choice for a first car. I think you should order the RPM caster blocks, bearing carriers and bearings. The stock caster blocks was the first thing I broke and the kingpin will not bend as easy if you get the bearing carriers with the caster blocks. once you get the bearing carriers you will most certainly need the bearings to go with them. you will not notice much difference after the install but you will notice the difference when you dont break any of them after big hits. the RPM bumper is nice also. ok ok, every RPM part is nice, heck replace all the stock parts with rpm parts when you have the money.

so an advanced search on www.towerhobbies.com for "rustler" with the manufacturer "RPM" and you should find everything you need
Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM
wesbronco75

The gearing delimma mostly falls back on the fact of can you run a whole battery pack out (with out stopping) and still be able to touch the can of your motor for about 5 seconds without burning your fingers. if you burn your finger then you need to "gear down" in other words you need to put on a smaller pinion gear, which is the first of the two numbers. i have generally found that if you are upgrading to better batteries or motor that will push the rustler harder than normal you should start out with a 15/something combo and work your way up until your motor gets to hot. if you have a motor like the mamba max that can with stand 200 degrees you damn sure are not going to put your fingers on it for 5 seconds. at least i don't on mine. so you might want to look up the specks on a hopup motor to see what the temp limits are. if you need a temp gauge then look on towerhobbies and find a cheap infrared temp gauge, i think they have one for about $10.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 AM
bud09

checkpointracer

if u want speed get a 28t. for torqie get 18t. in the middle get 21t the spur for the 28t and 21 use the stock 86t. for the 18 to keep it in specs use the 83t. i personally use the 18/83 combo and get great runs times. anywhere from 25-40 mins.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 PM
speedyAK

Has anyone here ever try a mamba max/lehner basic 4200 or 5300 combo?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM
rhino420

okay i need help. my rusty is dying !! i dont know how to explain whats going on. let me try my rusty is about 3 months old one day i was charging the battery i hook it up and start to run it for some reason my rusty so slow as a dog as if the battery had no juice but it was fully charged so i got an buy a brand new battery charge that one and same thing so there must be something else im over looking. the rusty goes but not very fast at all when i have it up on the work bench in the air and i hit the throttle the tires start to move fast but while its moving the wheels its vibrating real bad. when i first bought it it never vibrated like that when it was on the stand so something must be wrong. i took the spur gear cover off to see if they were stripped or something i could visually see wrong but nothing. oh ya i forgot to tell u while im running it the engine gets super hot. anywho else ever have this problem. my rusty has no mods except some new front suspension mods.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
TopSpeedTimmy

There could be several possible problems. What comes to my mind at the moment is as follows: Titan motor wearing out, severe binding in the drivetrain, out-of-balance tire could contribute (filled with dirt or water?), and/or bent axle. The Titan motor could have worn out already with overgearing and/or hard driving. I have two Titans that are still going strong after almost a year, but running the optional 28t pinion gear off-road or even the 23t pinion in extreme off-road conditions could cause motor brush life to decrease dramatically. Take off the pinion gear and see if the rear wheels will free-roll for at least 3-4 seconds with a good spin. Make sure both rear wheels are spinning at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.