Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
merx9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

Hey guys just picked up a vxl, for now I am not sure if I want to go lipo but I would like to get a charger that can do it just in case i decide to make teh switch, but also a charger that can charge an 8 or 9 cell battery. You guys got some good recommendations? thanks a lot!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM
mithril

Hi all, I'd been thinking about getting a good RC car for years, and finally had the trigger pulled for me when my best friend went out and bought a Rustler VXL... as we all know, there's no way I could sit back and let him get ahead of me... so I promptly went out and got one too.

I've been combing through this site (and speaking with the guys down at the LHS) trying to figure out what my options are (apparently they are myriad and only limited by my wallet) for enjoying the hell out of this thing. I just picked up a Venom 11.1 LiPo (charger is next... my wife would kill me if she saw both purchases at once... I'm going to space them out ) what I really need is some new tires.

Shockingly the stock pin tires didn't hold up very well on the asphalt... I essentially have something resembling a modified racing slick on right now... lol.. I'm primarily going to run it in an offroad capacity, I don't care about going 900+mph, but bashing the hell out of it in some dirt/sand is tons of fun. I found this empty commercial area right around the corner from my house that has dirt/sandy areas grass etc. etc. I was actually surprised at the amount of loose sand that was there.

Any recommendations on tires that you guys might have? I've seen the Talons and they look good, but I was also considering some of the paddle tires, I'm just not sure where I need to go to get those.

Also, the guy at the LHS suggested that if we go with some of the slightly bigger tires that we should look to switch out the gears to make sure we don't strip them, does that hold true for the Talons?

Thanks for any help and advice you guys may have.

~Brett
Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Bigger tire? Ahh, maybe. You should look at some of the 2.2 tires they have on proline.com... They are having a good sale. If your looking into the chargers, the TRITONEQ is a really good one for $130.00. If you seek out GUVER from this site, he is the man when it comes to batteries and the whole charger thang.

My son has the vxl (I posted him jumping it, just a little higher up on this thread), he puts it to the limit... Man, I am wondering what's going to brake first... Nut nothing so far... You made a good choice. I like the RUSTLER a lot.

With the paddle tires, I would be careful. Unless you plan on just running in sand. They tend to wear very easy.

Have fun with it...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
MurphJato

I have the venom pro charger and love it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
mithril

Venom Pro Charger? I've had someone recommend that one (I think it's that one) as "the last charger you will ever need"
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

i just got a Imax B6 (50$ on ebay) and it can charge anything from nimh hump packs to 12v car battery and Lipo.
pretty happy with my purchase.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
MurphJato

I love my venom, it was one of my best investments. It came with every plug you'll ever need. I'm not sayin the charger isnt good but i believe yo get what your money pays for.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
justavillain

ORIGINAL: dug44

Bigger tire? Ahh, maybe. You should look at some of the 2.2 tires they have on proline.com
I'm running a set on front and rear and they're nice Irun on a hard pack dirt and a pile of asphalt that was ground up from a parking lot and Irun the bowtie M3's on their bead lock wheel and it's a really nice setup.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM
rc kid 93

I need some good tires for my rusty. I do light on and off road bashing (no 30 ft jumps or anything) and its mostly in the desert so rocks and loose dirt but not sand. I was looking at the mashers but heard they suck for on road.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM
rc theman

they dont suck for onroad at all, i run mine onroad and i love it, the traction is very good onroad
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
rc kid 93

Don't they wear down really quickly though
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
rc theman

nah ive had mine for about 2 months and they wore down a little but it dident affect the traction
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
rc kid 93

Oh wow ok I guess you learn somthing new everyday then, thanks for helping me clear that up.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 PM
rc theman

no problem [8D]
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

So, I have a Q. me and my friend were messing around with his rustler and we realized the battery was almost dead.....darn anyway, he had a charger for lipo, but only a standard connector, so I took an old traxxas plug soldered it onto banana plugs and popped it into the charger it worked great! about a week later I saw him and he said his battery had exploded, and said it was my connector I made! just wondering if this is possible and if it is, why would it do this?     
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: rc kid 93

I need some good tires for my rusty. I do light on and off road bashing (no 30 ft jumps or anything) and its mostly in the desert so rocks and loose dirt but not sand. I was looking at the mashers but heard they suck for on road.
Mashers are awesome, they are great onroad of off, and the last about a year.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: planefreak123

So, I have a Q. me and my friend were messing around with his rustler and we realized the battery was almost dead.....darn anyway, he had a charger for lipo, but only a standard connector, so I took an old traxxas plug soldered it onto banana plugs and popped it into the charger it worked great! about a week later I saw him and he said his battery had exploded, and said it was my connector I made! just wondering if this is possible and if it is, why would it do this?
If the two ends touched, it would short and over heat and explode, but it was more then likely that it was a bad cell.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, thanks! I dont think he ever balanced it so would that have something to do with it?
ORIGINAL: warheadforever

ORIGINAL: planefreak123

If the two ends touched, it would short and over heat and explode, but it was more then likely that it was a bad cell.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
justavillain

well I got a really good deal on a Velineon VXL 3s system and I'll be putting it in my XL5 rustler.  I'll post pics and maybe a vid when it's done.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
MurphJato

Your gonna be very happy with the vxl. Throw a 3S lipo at it!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 PM
birdman1968

ORIGINAL: MurphJato

Your gonna be very happy with the vxl. Throw a 3S lipo at it!
How do you fit a 3S in the Rustler ? What is top gearing with the rustler vxl and 3S ?? Thanks .
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
MurphJato

I forget what gearing i'm running. I dont know if its "top gearing" though. A 3S will fit in but you have to buy thw battery bay expansion kit. It raises up the ESC and the battery holder.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
momogt

i geared down to a 12/90 gear ratio on 3s i only run on road but is still stupid fast plus i have the xl5 with a sidewinder esc and a tacon 4420kv motor i have the setting on my esc set low with the castle link but all i can say is 3s is fun for speed runs or drag racing but as for bashing or racing with some friends 2s is plenty but if tou have a stock spur gear it down a few teeth this is my first traaxas truck and i must say im very happy
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
MurphJato

The vxl is a speed and wheelie machine. Mines setup for street as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
MurphJato

Im running 87 27

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.