Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
faz95xj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Keep checking CNN to make sure there have not been any maritime accidents. The last thing we need is for the ship with the container full of Slashes to go down in heavy seas! I'm hoping for arrival in time to take it with me on vacation in late June, but I bet it will show up after I leave.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
5150Cat

Hi guys,
I've got to add my 2 cents in on the whole Slash thing.

I originally saw it at RCX this year and was pretty impressed with how plush and sweet the suspension worked. I didn't see it with the body on it but just monkeying around with the chassis I was pretty impressed.

As far as the looks? I agree with everyone. I buy stuff that is not only awesome and realistic looking but also completely functional. Case in point the Tamiya stadium truck. Completely realistic but I would have had better offroad handling with my wheelchair then I did with that truck. And once again it was a modified street chassis.....so that would explain it.

I think the Slash has a good base. Scrap the body for maybe a proline and get some different wheels and tires on there in combo with a brushless/lipo set up and I think it would be a cool truck. I don't like the Losi just because it looks like every other 10th scale truck out there with a different body. At least with the Slash Traxxas attempted to make it look somewhat realistic.

I have been to a local race shop that a buddy is working on a body for one of these real trucks and they are nothing short of impressive! It's kind of cool to have an option to have an r/c version as well.

But I can kind of agree with everyone's point. Especially the lack of brushless option from the start. I hate that. And I hate the RTR thing. I want to build the crap thing, not pull it out and run it. Building the stuff is the only way you get to know the truck and how to adjust and fix things.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it is after someone gets their hands on it. I'll be waiting for a brushless version to come out probably.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM
ozium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that it's brushless ready but they don't force you to buy their VXL system. That means you can buy it cheap and have a brushless ready tranny and drivetrain, and upgrade to whatever brushless system you want (in case you don't like VXLs).
Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: thedr

If you want a real, scale-looking, CORR truck check out the ThunderTech website - they should be on the market pretty soon.

LOL, those guys at ThunderTech have been taking people's money and promising them trucks for 18 months or more now.

I'd rather buy an independent suspension truck that I can actually run instead of sending some guy $385 for a cool scale looking truck I may never actually see. And if the release is taking this long, just imagine the hassle of getting parts when you need them.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
mojavemonster

I think the Slash is an awsome rig. I love the oversized body. Makes it look true scale. Unfortunatly it seems nobody owns own. This is the Official forum and no action pics. Hm... I think I may pick one up and make it nitro.[8D]
Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
66impala

i like tt idea about painting the body on the outside so when your rubbing fenders with some one you see the contact.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
mojavemonster

I'm acually doing that on my rock crawler. I painted the inside silver first. Next I'll use an acrylic to paint outside. Acrylic should scratch easier.......then the silver will look like bare metal.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: mojavemonster

I think the Slash is an awsome rig. I love the oversized body. Makes it look true scale. Unfortunatly it seems nobody owns own. This is the Official forum and no action pics. Hm... I think I may pick one up and make it nitro.[8D]
It's not on the market yet, once it is, you can figure there will be pics.

I want one for the size. It's almost two feet long. That's like the old Kyosho 8th scale stadium rigs they used to sell.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

I want one for the size. It's almost two feet long. That's like the old Kyosho 8th scale stadium rigs they used to sell.
Actually it hit the market last week. I have seen pics of it on other forums. I am just waiting for the LHS to get them in.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:22 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Actually it hit the market last week. I have seen pics of it on other forums. I am just waiting for the LHS to get them in.
Ah, OK, I'm just going on the report from Tower, but they are usually a bit behind.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
mojavemonster

Does anyone here watch CORR Racing? In fact there is a race today and yesterday at Pomona. If my stimulus check came I coulda gone and done mypart as an American.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Always Dreamin

I must say, guys, that the DT will be giving you a run for your money. I saw one today. 2.4ghz and aluminum shocks along with a roll cage. This thing is sweet. As much as I love Traxxas, I got to hand it to the DT.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
wolfwood_is_here

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

I must say, guys, that the DT will be giving you a run for your money. I saw one today. 2.4ghz and aluminum shocks along with a roll cage. This thing is sweet. As much as I love Traxxas, I got to hand it to the DT.
In what sense? The DT and Slash aren't in the same class. The DT is a more bashable version of a stadium truck with tried and true RC car looks, not scale looks. I think trying to compare the two is like comparing an AX10 to the Hilux/Land Cruiser kits from Tamiya. They serve a different niche of people even though they may use the same environment and may be doing the same thing.

The Slash is a scale vehicle meant to reproduce the full scale vehicles - which Traxxas sponsors. They sponsor 3 trucks on the circuit this year. How many R/C companies do you know of that sponsor full scale vehicles to coincide with the launch of their new vehicle?

Is Losi sponsoring any full-scale race vehicles?

I think that alone speaks volumes to how Traxxas (and HPI too) are trying to allow R/C and full scale fans a common ground, and how they are reaching out to their customer is more ways than just making the newest fancy thing. I mean, how cool is it to see the Traxxas vehicles out on the course and then go outside and do it yourself?

Traxxas is aware that most people don't watch the R/C podiums to decide what vehicles they are going to buy, especially newcomers to the hobby. They go for stuff that they think looks cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Traxxas held mock races with modified Slashes after the full scale vehicles have had their fun. I think it is great to see this kind of support for their products. I think we can expect to see a very long production life on the Slash.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Next step is licensed bodies of other team cars. MacCachren's new Rockstar truck looks sick, as does Johnny Greave's Monster car. If they can get replica bodies out these could really take off.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
dell9494

The price of the slash, according to Traxxas, is going to be close to that of the Rustler/Bandit/Stampede XL-5.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
hpiguy

Tower is picking and packingmine as we speak.

Total price with current Tower discounts, $161 shipped.

Now THAT is a deal.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

Next step is licensed bodies of other team cars. MacCachren's new Rockstar truck looks sick, as does Johnny Greave's Monster car. If they can get replica bodies out these could really take off.
Or the aftermarket. If thay embrace this like they have done most other Traxxas trucks, we are in for a treat.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
faz95xj

ETA for my Traxxas Slash from Tower via UPS is tomorrow!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
hpiguy

As is mine. And tomorrow is my 31st Bday too. Fun all around!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
faz95xj

Happy Birthday. I'll be the big 35 in a few weeks.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
hpiguy

Well, she's here. I'm VERY impressed.

I've been in R/C for over 20 years now. This is in my top five of coolest out of the box trucks. Ever.

For one, it's a dirt cheap RTR. With a Tower discount, you can get this in the sub $170 range, even sub $160 if you work the codes. This is made for experienced R/Cers, not just newbs. I can say, a truck like this for this cheap will really help get people into hobby R/C.

It's 8th scale. It's the only way to describe is it is an 8th scale electric for dirt cheap.

It's definitely hobby quality. From the plush, well built smooth suspension to the nice new small water proof ESC to the high torque water proof servos, awesome tires, and all metal tranny. The radio is still the old TQ, but I've never had an issue with it. It does sit on the ground nicely on that wide base. But to some it will look toyish.

The body not onlyattaches with clips, it also can velcro to the nerf bars to keep it in shape and looking great.

I can't wait to get this running. Need to charge some packs and make a Deans to Traxxas connector adapter. As for now, out of the box, I'ma happycamper. Very happy with this purchase.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Always Dreamin

Well, she's here. I'm VERY impressed.

I've been in R/C for over 20 years now. This is in my top five of coolest out of the box trucks. Ever.

For one, it's a dirt cheap RTR. With a Tower discount, you can get this in the sub $170 range, even sub $160 if you work the codes. This is made for experienced R/Cers, not just newbs. I can say, a truck like this for this cheap will really help get people into hobby R/C.

It's 8th scale. It's the only way to describe is it is an 8th scale electric for dirt cheap.

It's definitely hobby quality. From the plush, well built smooth suspension to the nice new small water proof ESC to the high torque water proof servos, awesome tires, and all metal tranny. The radio is still the old TQ, but I've never had an issue with it. It does sit on the ground nicely on that wide base. But to some it will look toyish.

The body not onlyattaches with clips, it also can velcro to the nerf bars to keep it in shape and looking great.

I can't wait to get this running. Need to charge some packs and make a Deans to Traxxas connector adapter. As for now, out of the box, I'ma happycamper. Very happy with this purchase.
Pretty sure it's 1/10 scale, although it may look 1/8. I love how this is coming from an HPI guy (JK).

When you say it's one of the top five, what are the other 4?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:38 PM
hpiguy

How can something be 1/10th scale and look 1/8th?

What I mean is, it's just about the size of an 8th scale buggy when the body is off. I figured it would help others compare when they can't have it in person.

My name, BTW is not HPIguy, it's hpiguy, and while close, it has NOTHING to do with HPI the company. I own dozens and dozens (literally) of R/Cs, most from different companies. Some from the same name when they have had products I've liked.

I buy and enjoy my R/Cs based on what gives me a fun time and what I like to run. I never look at the name. Could care less who made it.

This new Slash, this is a great truck inmyview. No, I' haven't run it yet. But I've been in this hobby long enough to tell when something is a good product for my style of racing and when something is junk.

My top five out of the box (meaning nothing added just ran stock) trucks? If I had to, I'd say, in no specific order, this Slash, the original Emaxx w/two speed (never liked the wide ones), the new Duratrax EXT (great beginner racer for cheap, hated the junky ball diff on the original), Tamiya's Clodbuster (bone stock fun runner) and the Stampede(any version). Those,inmy view are fun,reliable trucks for anyone to start R/C with and aren't junk that will scare off new hobbyists.

Now pure racers, and such, sure, maybe not these five. But for out of the box stock fun. These are the ones I recommend when I meet new hobbyists.

A race class of these inexpensive Slashes, that will be a blast!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 AM
faz95xj

Have not had a chance to run mine either (which is making it very difficult to focus on work right now), but the new battery pack is charged and I will take it for the maiden voyage at lunch today.

I'm pretty new to RC but so far am really impressed with the finidhed product.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
losifiend

Most of the Slash threads are filled with hate. Its like anything else. If you dont like it dont get it. Its defenitly fun and can take a beating....on with the picts!

Defenitly in a league of its own. This truck is set up to handle no more than a mod 27 turn or a hot 19 turn due to the soft, realistic suspension. Sway bars would take away from the realism.

My local track allready has a class for them that they run on Saterdays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.