Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Reflex XTR - Give opinions

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Reflex XTR - Give opinions

Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
ptarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflex XTR - Give opinions

I have had G2 for over a year now, and I have long since come to grips with its lack of usefulness as an aerobatic simulator. AeroFlight Pro and recently Reflex XTR have caught my eye however. I watched a video of XTR and simply couldn't believe how awesome it looked, I really thought it was fake at first. Now, graphics aside, can anyone attest to its 3D capabilities (from those who can fly 3D with a real plane). I don't really care about XTR's lack of a 3D landscape, if it looks as good as it seemed to in that video (don't have a link), then it doesn't matter.

P.S. Does anyone have any links to videos for XTR? I have long since redone my computer and don't have the orginal video I spoke of.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
N2raptor

Default RE: Reflex XTR - Give opinions

It's awesome!! I flew it at a show and the darn thing looks like you're watching a video even though you're doing the flying!!! It's unreal! From what they said, the flying fields look real because they are actual real fields and the models were actually photographed every which way, so you're flying a real model at a real field. Even the shadows and lighting change just like it really does. I don't know how MRC or their software guys did it, but it makes G2's graphics and flight dynamics look like a cartoon.
They had it running on a Pentium 4 Dell laptop, but the MRC guy said it's got to have Pentium 4, a minimum of 256 meg of Ram and minimum of 32 megs of video, but 64 megs and up will insure no glitches. I'm gonna wait 'till my dealer gets it in and then I'll retire my G2.
I'm not a plane guy, but was 3Ding the Raptor V2 heli. I won't try it with my "real" Raptor. It's expensive when it crashes. Jeff Green (from MRC) was doing the demo, and I watched him hover a 3D plane a few inches off the ground. Nobody can believe the graphics or the flight characteristics, even though you're standing there or flying it yourself. I like the idea of being able to use my Futaba 8U instead of an awkward interface box or a "pretend" transmitter.
I just went to MRC's web site and they have the XTR link and screen shots, etc on the home page. It's www.modelrectifier.com.
I just noticed the time....I knew I was getting tired.

N2Raptor[8D]
Old 06-16-2004, 11:23 PM
ptarp

Does anyone know if you would be able to use the RealFlight USB controller? I'd hate to have my expensive transmitter sitting around my computer all the time. Plus, I don't like wasting batteries, or not being able to play because they aren't charged.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 AM
N2raptor

No, I don't think the Real Flight G2 won't work, because it's not a real transmitter. The XTR is made to use your own transmitter, or anyone elses with the buddy box jack. You have to order the XTR according to which transmitter you have, The newer futaba square connector, the Round Futaba and Hitec one, Airtronics connection or JR. But from what I understand, once you buy the the XTR for your radio, you can buy different adapters for other radios. It can't be "pirated" though, because there's a little "black box" about an inch and a half long that's part of the basic usb cable that the adapter attaches to. Charging the batteries is just like using the thing for real, and I guess that's part of the simulation. I remember one of the MRC guys saying something about pulling the crystal so you don't radiate and also it's better for the transmitter because the antenna is down.
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
pache11
My Feedback: (6)

I have just received XTR last week and it is great! Much better then G2 and better eye-candy then aerofly pro. I haven't yet explored the flight differences between XTR and AFP, both are great programs and I fly both. More time will tell which airplane modeling I like best. G2 is a great basic learning tool, but needs extensive flight modeling upgrades to be competitive. I use G2 for flying with others on the net during the winter and AFP and XTR for learning new manuevers.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:32 PM
N2raptor

What kind of computer are you running it on....memory, etc? What radio are you using?
I never saw the packaging because I saw it way before it was released by MRC....what's the packaging like? Is it easy to install. They said it was straight forward to setup, is it?? Did you have any problems?
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 06-17-2004, 08:32 PM
ptarp

ORIGINAL: N2raptor
No, I don't think the Real Flight G2 won't work, because it's not a real transmitter. The XTR is made to use your own transmitter, or anyone elses with the buddy box jack...
That is true, but AFP is setup similarly, and the RealFlight controller works with it.

Charging the batteries is just like using the thing for real, and I guess that's part of the simulation.
Using batteries does nothing at all to enhance the simulation. If there isn't an alternative to using my $400 transmitter, then I definately won't be getting XTR. If they are not going to be offering a "game" transmitter, they should at least give the game the capability to use a joystick (which is what the G2 controller is considered by you computer). I could write the code to use a joystick in about 1 hour. It would be a shame if they don't have that option.

Does XTR have any reps that monitor this forum that could shed some light on the subject?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:00 AM
N2raptor

I guess if XTR had reps that monitor this forum, they'd have been here by now.
I only remember that the XTR is being marketed, not as a "game" like G2, but sort of like a flying experience never before achieved in model simulation, so that using your own transmitter is part of the reality of flying the thing. They're not trying to do what others are doing. I'm not sure, but I don't think AFP graphics are as good or has the training modes that XTR has.
I guess we're so used to using G2 and others like it, that we base everything on G2, even though there's something better. Cassettes were great for music until CD's came along. When I flew XTR at the show, they also said that new models and flying field are completely free downloads from the web, not like paying 30 bucks for an upgrade disk from G2. To me, that's worth a lot. When I first bought my G2, I also had to buy disk 3 to get a Raptor heli. And then had to have the interface "fake transmitter" connected in line with my 8U to fly with my sticks. G2 works, but the realism just isn't there. My few minutes on the XTR, blew me away!!
N2Raptor
Old 06-18-2004, 09:03 AM
A. Holden

Here is a video to compare the 2 shot by the same pilot Joe Hunt of Down On The Deck. AFP is light years ahead of XTR in physics. I've flown them both. XTR also only has limited around of space you can fly in due to the 2D scenery. Which means if you fly only a couple hundred yards away the program resets. They claim it's a safety buffer, however anyone who has half a brain knows that it's because of the way the photos work with the airplane. XTR also has only had a graphic update as I read on Run Ryder from one of the engineers, that's why the planes don't fly any better then in the last version.

Reflex XTR: http://www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/reflex.wmv

AFP: http://www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/ikarus.wmv
Old 06-18-2004, 11:48 AM
N2raptor

Hi A.,

I just looked at both videos and the flicker off the monitor doesn't help in either case. AFP's plane is nice, but the lack of any exhaust trail and unnaturally slow prop movement when in hover and slow flight don't impress me too much. Also, AFP's background graphics didn't look real on the video, but that may be because it was a camera shooting the monitor. XTR's fields are real fields, not impressions.
Look, we all have opinions and that's good and that's what makes these forums worthwhile.
I've never seen the AFP sim, but did have hands-on on the XTR. It's so real, it's unreal! I think you're right about a safety buffer. I think they designed it so you can't fly over the spectator area, just like in real competitions, so you have to train yourself to stay within the field. and in my way of thinkin, that too, is more realistic. As for only 2D, I don't know what you mean, I watched the guy flying 3D and pirouetting right in front me, a few inches off the deck, seeing all sides of the plane, and watching the control surfaces move, just like in that AFP video link you sent.
Anyway, A., it's ok to disagree. AFP is nice product and certainly ahead of G2 (from my limited knowledge), but in my book Reflex XTR is light years ahead.
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 06-18-2004, 07:57 PM
ptarp

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the transmitter thing. I simply think it adds nada to the "simulation experience" to force you to use a real transmitter as opposed to a device that looks, feels, and behaves like a transmitter but simply lacks the electronics to actually send a radio signal.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:19 PM
ptarp

Well, I just ordered AFP with the "game commander" because I plan on selling my G2 on the bay.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:15 AM
N2raptor

Enjoy it!!
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 07-11-2004, 02:03 AM
maktec
My Feedback: (29)

OK< now where Can I buy this MRC flight sim>?
george
Old 07-11-2004, 03:02 AM
photoniq

I want to buy this sim but i can't right now. Why? Because they don't make a dummy transmitter for it!

Where is the pleasure in charging your batteries? Sorry but that is a total non-argument my friend. I can not be bothered to charge my batteries to use a sim. Furthermore, I travel alot with my work. Using the USB powered G2 controler means I can fly G2 easily in hotel rooms and planes while carrying the minimum of equipment (just my laptop which I would have anyway, and my controller).

I really hope the authors of XTR read this. Come on guys - give us either a lead to use the Realflight controller or come up with your own. I want to use your software

photoniq.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:43 AM
N2raptor

Hey Photo,

If you have to travel with G2's controller.......isn't that the same thing as travelling with your own transmitter? And as far as batteries go, when you pull the crystal so the transmitter doesn't radiate, you'll get hours of use out of the batteries.
G2 is a great sim, but XTR isn't a replacement....I guess MRC designed it to be the next step. Let's face it, If you're using a basic Nokia cell phone and you decide to buy a Motorola Camera Phone, you can't really expect the Motorola to work with the Nokia charger.
Have a good one!
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 07-12-2004, 01:19 PM
MustangFan

Regardless ... I would not travel with my radio !

They need to have a controller ... G2 does and AFP does ....

I don't even use my transmitter at home ... the controller for G2 is all I need for practicing.

Personal choices ???
Old 07-12-2004, 07:13 PM
N2raptor

Personal choices??? Yep! And nothing wrong with them. That's why you can buy different colors of the same car.
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 07-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Wright Flyer

ORIGINAL: photoniq

I want to buy this sim but i can't right now. Why? Because they don't make a dummy transmitter for it!
Photoniq,

I recently upgraded my Futaba FF6 to a Hitec Eclipse 7 and now use the FF6 as the controller for XTR (with the crystal removed so it doesn't use much power to drive the RF front end). You could do the same - I'll bet you could pick up an old Tx on e-bay for only a few dollars (especially if it was not working because of a fault in the RF section - that you don't need when using it to control the sim - the only bit that has to work is the trainer port).

Cliff
Old 07-14-2004, 03:35 PM
BOB275

There is a website that may be of interest to those that would like to know more about REFLEX XTR. Its a German site as well being in English with downloads also. Bob
http://www.reflex-sim.de/
Old 07-14-2004, 08:36 PM
N2raptor

That website is the site of the XTR designer. His name is Wolfgang. MRC is the importer and distributer of XTR for him.
By the way, Wright, theres a problem from what I understand with the Hitec Eclipse 7 and XTR. Seems like Hitec changed the pin configuration on the trainer jack of the Eclipse 7 without tellin anyone, so XTR won't run. A simple resolder job will fix the problem, but I think MRC is coming out with another cable or something to solve the problem.
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 PM
RoNeRiC
My Feedback: (1)

What are the system req? I have in my system:

AMD 64 3000+
ASUS K8V Deluxe
1 GIG Corsair XMS 3200 running at 2-2-2-6-1t
Soundblaster Audigy 2
ATI 128mb 9800pro

I want the sim which will best use this hardware.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Wright Flyer

By the way, Wright, theres a problem from what I understand with the Hitec Eclipse 7 and XTR. Seems like Hitec changed the pin configuration on the trainer jack of the Eclipse 7 without tellin anyone, so XTR won't run. A simple resolder job will fix the problem, but I think MRC is coming out with another cable or something to solve the problem.
N2Raptor[8D]
Err, not on my Eclipse 7 - I can use it just as easily as the FF6 on exactly the same cable. I just choose to use the FF6 because I don't want to keep removing the cyrstal module from the Eclipse to reduce RF power usage. I use the Eclipse to actually go and do the things I've been learning in XTR.

Cliff
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM
N2raptor

RoNeRic, it looks like you have the horsepower to use any sim out there.
If you're runnin the Eclipse 7, then maybe they worked out the bug!
N2Raptor[8D]
Old 07-16-2004, 05:18 PM
RoNeRiC
My Feedback: (1)

RoNeRic, it looks like you have the horsepower to use any sim out there.
If you're runnin the Eclipse 7, then maybe they worked out the bug!
N2Raptor[8D]
Nope on the Eclipse 7, I have a Futaba 7c.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.