Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AFP - G2 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:14 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP - G2 Comparison

Hi Guys,

Just placed an order for AFP this evening. I've been using G2 for a couple of years, and I'm very happy with it. But, all the buzz over AFP on this forum has me intrigued

I'll be sure to post a comparison of the two once I've got enough time on AFP to make an honest assessment.

Plan to use it with the G2 controller, as opposed to one of my Tx's.

Carl
Old 08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
cfossa

Default RE: AFP On Order

Hi Guys!

AFP arrived today. Installation of the main program, expansion pack 1, and the downloaded patch were very straight forward. I am using an "old" gameport version of the RealFlight controller. I ran the calibration routine, and it works fine.

Getting up and running was very easy! I will keep you posted with a G2-AFP comparison as I get time on AFP.

Got to go

Carl
Old 08-29-2004, 08:20 AM
cfossa

Default RE: AFP - G2 comparison

Hi Guys,

I've had AFP for a couple of days now, and wanted to share my initial impressions. I'll start with two disclaimers:

1. I think AFP is an excellent simulation and it is well worth the price. It is clearly better than G2 at 3D flying. Any comments I make about things I don't like in AFP are overshadowed by this.

2. These are my INITIAL impressions. I've got a few years on G2, and only a few days on AFP. I will post updates as I spend more time on AFP.

OK, so here we go.

Flight Model:

3D - Almost immediately it was clear that AFP is better at 3D flying. If you want to learn/practice 3D maneuvers, this is the sim.
Sport flying - G2 gets the nod here. I don't know about you, but I do not own a 110" wingspan Extra that 3Ds like the planes in AFP. My "real" models are all .40-.60 size glow planes. The planes in G2 perform more like my real (non-3D) models.
Helis - I do not fly real helis so can not make a comment on realism. However, the helis are harder to fly in G2.

Graphics: The graphics in G2 are better (both planes and scenery), but not enough so to make a difference when buying a sim.

Program Interface: While both programs are easy to navigate the menus, G2 has a more "polished" interface. Little things like being able to swap airplanes w/o going back to the start-up screen.

AFP "Immediate Likes" : Several things stood out as features of AFP that I like in comparison to G2.
1. Ground handling - the planes on grass are much more realistic.
2. Multiple runways / start positions for each scenery - almost like having more places to fly
3. Ability to move pilot "fixed position" easily, to include elevation, gives a quick way to look at new airfields.

AFP "Immediate Dislikes" : There were some things I did not like initially.
1. Program interface - already mentioned having to go back to main screen to swap planes. Inability to switch between basic and advanced editing for a joystick is another example.
2. Wind - no parameter for a variable direction
3. Dual Rates - no apparent way to set up dual rates with a joystick controller.
4. Editing aircraft/scenery - This is not as easy from within AFP as in G2. For example, want to add a windsock by the runway or change the tail gear on the Sukhoi to a wheel. I could not do this from withing AFP. Understand there are external editors to create planes unlike G2.

Overall, I really like AFP. My dislikes at this point are all relatively minor things. But, I wanted to post at this early stage to see if my opinion changes over the next couple of weeks. I will be sure to check back in as I get more time on AFP

Carl
Old 08-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Hey thanks for keeping up with this. I've had RealFlight G2 for about 9 months now and while learning it was great. Put many many hours into it and now that I'm into 3D I've just been less enthusiastic about G2 than when I first got it and only had FMS to compare it to. It did teach me rolling harriers and hovering/torque rolls though so it wasn't that bad. and I do really like the USB controller, I don't have a problem going from it to my transmitter.

BUT most slow flight physics are pretty far off and now that 3D is all I'm interested in, modding the G2 planes to fly more realistically is just an excercise in frustration. AFP looks a lot better physics-wise and graphically nice enough not to worry about that difference. Maybe I'll do both as well. I have thought about Reflex XTR but at 230 beans sans controller I think I'll pass.

You know, its funny, the differences almost make me think that G2 was written by Microsoft... you know, pretty on the outside but ugly and dark on the inside! haha

Keep us posted on your 3D exploits/observations.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:44 PM
fpdesignco
My Feedback: (4)

AFP "Immediate Dislikes" : There were some things I did not like initially.
1. Program interface - already mentioned having to go back to main screen to swap planes. Inability to switch between basic and advanced editing for a joystick is another example.
2. Wind - no parameter for a variable direction
3. Dual Rates - no apparent way to set up dual rates with a joystick controller.
4. Editing aircraft/scenery - This is not as easy from within AFP as in G2. For example, want to add a windsock by the runway or change the tail gear on the Sukhoi to a wheel. I could not do this from withing AFP. Understand there are external editors to create planes unlike G2.

1. I really wouldent call it complicated and going back to the mainscreen you just press escape?

2. Yes there is

3. Joystick? well in all fairness your supposed to be using a RC transmitter. How do you use a joystick? they only way to do that is a crack?

4.True
Old 08-29-2004, 06:52 PM
cfossa

Thanks for the reply.

How do you set variable direction for wind? I see how to change the direction (i.e. 30 degrees vs. 100 degrees), but how do you set it to 30 degrees, with a 10 degree variance (i.e. it varies from 20-40 degrees)?

I am using a RFG2 controller (i.e. joystick on the AFP menu) ... certainly not a crack.

Carl
Old 08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
fpdesignco

huh well i guess you right then but i dont usually see winds that very over a sort period of times 10x in increments.

And those mix's arnt really a required feature... If you have your own radio you can use your radio's built in features. Id also like to defer on the graphics g2 vs AFP. And the airplane issue about it not being good for sport fliers? just download a smaller aircraft? but again i dont want to push opinions so dont take this as a personal insult.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:35 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: AFP - G2 Comparison

Make sure you set your simulation speed to 120% or greater. 100% does not mean 100% true to life. 120%-130% is more like true to life.

Your planes will seem to handle much more realistic.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Felix21685
My Feedback: (1)

so how do you set variable wind speed? and direction ?

-Felix
Old 08-31-2004, 07:04 PM
cummings66

ORIGINAL: fpdesignco

3. Joystick? well in all fairness your supposed to be using a RC transmitter. How do you use a joystick? they only way to do that is a crack?
He's just saying the G2 controller is a joystick, and it is. I have the exact same controller and it works fine with AFP, but I don't use it that way because I prefer the Real thing. It's much better.

So, no cracks needed.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:17 PM
fpdesignco

ok i understood this. I personally dont use either i use my own tx.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:30 PM
azvmax

Ya gotta love a design where 100% does not mean 100%, it really means 70-80%?????
Old 09-05-2004, 10:40 AM
flynm
My Feedback: (24)

how do they compare in utilizing for IMAC. Would like to see runway as a reference for flying straight lines.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
cfossa

Hi Guys!

Well, I've been using AFP for a bit over one week now, and it is a great program! At this point, there are things I really like about both AFP and G2.

AFP: This program is FUN! The flight model is much better than G2 for 3D flying, and many of the models fly 3D in the "stock" setup. I do not have any real models that are "3D" so I can not really say if the 3D flight characteristics are realistic. But, I can certainly perform many 3D maneuvers in AFP that I can not perform on the "3D" planes in G2. I find myself wanting to fire up AFP just to torque roll and flat spin the different planes. The break apart crashes add to the enjoyment

G2: I still keep coming back to G2 because the planes "feel" more like my real R/C models. Note that my planes are .40-.60 sized GP Extra 300s, GP Spacewalker, and Sig Somethin' Extra. The giant Extra 300S in AFP is a blast to fly, but it does not fly like MY model.

So, for me, the combination of G2 and AFP is great. G2 is great for practicing skills on my own models when time or weather does not let me fly the real thing. AFP offers some great flying 3D planes to learn skills that neither G2 or my own models will do.

I'm compiling a list of small features I like and dislike about both sims. I'll post that soon. I will also keep you up to date as I get more time on AFP ... and if my views of either program change as I fly AFP more.

Thanks for reading.

Carl
Old 09-06-2004, 06:10 PM
LeeU

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I noticed and convinced me was try to flat spin in G2 or even better inverted flat spins, hovering is not so easy in AFP as in real life. I like my AFP better than my G2 but then all I do is 3D so I'm biased, I loved my RF G2 but I needed more realistic flying physics, IMO. LeeU