Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight G3!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:20 AM
r1derbike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Real Flight G3!

Never mind! I figured a workaround! ;-}

Charles
Old 10-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Plane Addicted
My Feedback: (49)

G3 is much better when it comes to 3d. I have a friend that has a bata version for testing, mainly the heli part, and I had alot of time at the Chicago trade show to fly with it. I am new to the 3d stuff, but I noticed a big differance as soon as I started to fly on it.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:55 AM
phayd

G3? That's so nineties... We're at [link=http://www.apple.com/imac/]G5[/link] now!

Now if only G3 would run on a G5, then we could see some performance!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: pegleg

There will not be an upgrade for G3. You will have to buy the whole package, but all add-ons are compatible.
Are you sure of this????

If so - What an udder crock of SH*T. That would be so freakin typical. They just made my G2 worth *ZERO* after only owning it a few months and they want to gouge me full price for another copy for g3. Nice

Nice tactics too - putting a notice up that its here and ready when its not. Basically all they did was kill the market for the G2 product, kill all of us wanting to sell our G2's and told everyone to wait for G3.

BYE BYE Realflight.. hello AFP.
I have also heard the new version is not all the great. About the same as where AFP is today.

DP
Old 10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Desert,
They are talking about a rebate for G2 owners, the new program isn't upgradable because it's a whole new program not a tweak of the old one. As for when it will be ready I could only guess but it should be soon. Like the old one they will have online tweaks as they make it better and work out the inevitable bugs of a new system. The new system is better than anything else out there and I wouldn't give up on a company because they saw a need to improve on their product and did so. When I talked to the guys from AFP they also said they would come out with a new product in the near future and I'm sure that Reflex will eventually need to upragde as well. The great thing about the compitition these companies face is that they will push each other to improve and we are the ones who benifit in the long run. It sucks if you got G2 at the end of it's run but it's still a good sim and you probably paid a lot less than I did.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Cougar-RCU

I Ordered My G3 today, the lady was pretty cool, as we were talking about g3 , she told me that ALL volumes of G2 will work. matter of fact there the same volumes its just the G3 unit that makes them 3D, also she told me she had just seen the G3 working for the first time at work today and she says that it blows the G2 away with its graphics, I to was a owner of the G2 and loved how it worked very much, but had to sell it about a year ago with all 5 Volumes for $100 bucks..do to buying a new home.. now I can get back into it,, and now there is the G3 So I guess in the long run it worked out for me.
She did also say that it should be the middle of November until I receive my G3
Jeff
Old 10-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Cougar-RCU

Got mine from tower for $169.00 with $30.00 Rebate and Free Shipping today!
Jeff
Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Cougar-RCU

r1derbike,
been there done that. even called them (greatplanes) they say with your id#s and stuff they will send you a free replacment..
Jeff
Old 11-05-2004, 09:33 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hay Cougar,
How did you save $30.00 at Tower on G3, I was only able to get $15.00 off. Maybe I should call them back. Any way have you heard what the PC requirements are for the new G3. Only thing I know is you have to have at least 65 mg of memory.
NEDYOB
Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
t to the maxx2
My Feedback: (1)

I dont fly...YET. But My mom backordered it for channuakh for me yesterday. Any ideas on when this will be at me doorstep?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:38 PM
BasinBum

Hopefully in time for Kwanza.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 PM
r1derbike

Anyone know what it's like to have just ordered/received add-ons vol. 1 thru 5, and no platform to fly?

Bummer...

Charles
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
r1derbike

Below is info I received in response to several direct questions regarding G3:

RealFlight G3 is still scheduled to be released before the middle of November, however please do be aware that release dates for new products, most especially software products, are subject to change.

While every effort is made to release a new product on or before a particular date, is it important to understand that all product release dates are tentative. We regret any inconvenience this situation may cause you.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970 during our regular business hours Monday through Friday 8am to 7pm Central time. Be sure to have your computer specifications and serial number for your software available at the time of your call. PLEASE REMEMBER to attach all previous correspondence (and dxdiag information if previously requested) with our responses to any follow up e-mail you may send. This will allow us to better track our attempts to troubleshoot your problem. Unfortunately, due to the volume of e-mail we receive, WE ARE UNABLE TO SAVE OR REMEMBER E-MAIL MESSAGES ONCE WE HAVE SENT A RESPONSE.

HAVE YOU SEEN OUR NEW WEB SITE?
In an effort to provide you with the fastest, most up-to-date support available, we have developed a new web site dedicated specifically to answering your questions or concerns regarding all versions of our software. Most of the difficulties users have running our software are related to problems we have already seen many times before, and have consequently developed reliable solutions to correct. Please try visiting this new resource we have developed for you. Most likely your problem or concern has already been encountered before and the fix or answer you need is already there waiting for you! You can visit this new site at www.gpsoftware.com . Please give it a try!

Sincerely,
Alex S.
RealFlight Technical Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
www.gpsoftware.com
www.realflight.com
www.realrace.com
www.rc-pilot.com

Old 11-12-2004, 10:12 PM
r1derbike

Six Phases of a Flight-Sim Software Project:

(1) Enthusiasm
(2) Disillusionment
(3) Panic
(4) Search for the guilty
(5) Punishment of the innocent
(6) Praise and honors for the non-participants

Charles
Old 11-13-2004, 07:35 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: Cougar-RCU
I to was a owner of the G2 and loved how it worked very much, but had to sell it about a year ago with all 5 Volumes for $100 bucks
If owners of G2 will not get "upgrade price" for buying G3 that's the solution. You can sell your G2 for "discounted price" on e-bay and there are plenty of guys, who would pay half price of the purhase of G2, not speding over 200 bucks for the newest version.

I bought G2 six months ago because I couldn't learn any more on FMS. G2 was the best product on the market that time. I will hopefully upgrade one way or the other to G3. If I will not get "upgrade price" from Real Flight, I will make it myself

RysiuM
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
FAA

Good business according to who ? Knife Edge.

Lets see ....

Lets rush a product out the door because the competition is heating up and we are going to loose market share.

Lets keep the SAME physics for all the models. Lets just tweak the 3D behaviour of the models for hovering and torque rolling (something anyone can do in G2 right now by changing the variables there), call it Improved 3D !!

Lets just update the graphics engine for the background (try as they will, I have tried G3 backgrounds and they don't come near Reflex !). Also, what is more important: Trees moving in the breeze or a model that flies more accurate to the real thing ?

Lets forget about the fact that we can't get the Helicopter algorithms in the final product and offer a free upgrade in the future. Some of us CARE about this. I fly Nitro Helis, Electric Helis, Sailplanes, Fix wings, etc etc. If a product is incomplete at release time, why would I buy it just for the sake of saying that I own it ? So that I can fly the same planes I do now on G2 with the same physics as G2 on fancy background with swaying trees and moving clouds ? This is plain stupid marketing.

And lets change the interface !

Why o Why would you design such an incompatibility for previous customers ? Bussiness 101 says create a customer base and keep. Knife Edge believes in creat a customer base and then drive everyone away. You guys at the top need some basic marcketing and bussiness classes.

I must give them credit though. They claim FULL compatibility to all previous volumes 1 through 5. The reason is not GOOD thinking on their part, but rather the fact that they did not change the physical characteristics of the models !!!

Word to the wise. Wait for the other shoe to drop. If you do not own a simulator look at Aerofly pro and Reflex XTR. They both have better physics and better customization features to fine tune aircraft to your needs and flying style. They also have a large support (and growing) of free models created by other fellow fliers.

If you are hooked on Real Flight, wait until Spring of 2005 when the complete package ships. Don't become a BETA tester for Knife Edge.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best strategy of all. The best part of it is that your money stays in YOUR pocket !

G2 is not that bad after all....is it ?

Nick
Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Nick... Well said..
Old 11-15-2004, 12:07 PM
RysiuM

Lets rush a product out the door because the competition is heating up and we are going to loose market share.
You are absolutely right - I never buy or upgrade (even for free) to the new version until it's at least half year or more on the market. I don't like to be a guinea pig.

G2 is not that bad after all....is it ?
I was able to setup most of my planes in G2 the way they fly in the real word. Including some 3D planes. That helped me to learn new tricks without breaking balsa. However there are two main things that I would like this sim to have:

1. Elevon models (flying wing, delta, PBF ect)
2. Engine sound delay. It may be stupid but I found kind of important. At the flying field with your model 1000 ft away when you slam the throttle you will hear that after one second. It is very confusing but everybody must use to it. On G2 sound traveles with the speed of light. It doesn't help much with getting used to the sound delay effect.

RysiuM
Old 11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: FAA

Lets see ....

Lets keep the SAME physics for all the models. Lets just tweak the 3D behaviour of the models for hovering and torque rolling (something anyone can do in G2 right now by changing the variables there), call it Improved 3D !!
Nick,

I think we should wait until G3 hits the shelves before passing judgment on how good, or bad, the improved flight model performs.

Personally, I think upgrades are always a tough call. I did not get the "G2 USB upgrade" as $80 for basically a new controller and no SW performance was not worth it to me. With AFP and G2 now, I'm not sure that G3 will be worth the upgrade unless it is good enough to sell off my recently purchased AFP. And, I will not buy either the G3 or AFP Deluxe upgrade until after the holiday rush as the holiday season has caused the release of too many Beta versions of game/sim software in the past. I will wait for the patched version that will inevitably come in Mar-Apr

Carl
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I have seen G3 in action ... and I have seen the new Aerofly Pro Deluxe that is about to ship... ....

I just sent my $169 to OMP and its USB compatible.. meaning I can probably figure out how to use my G2 controller so I don't wear out the gimbals on my 10X...

DP
Old 11-15-2004, 09:56 PM
r1derbike

What I find mildly amusing (since I've already got RF add-ons 1 through 5, purchased for G3 release) is, there are no RF website announcements about G3, there are no screen shots, reviews, reports, or any REAL information about what presumably is another "missed" release date (I hope next few days prove me wrong) with G3.

If I were to "assume" the worst, (or best, depending which camp you choose) AFP Deluxe has preempted G3 by a fair margin so far.

I'm very wary of the gauged silence about G3 right now...I hope I'm proven wrong, and have to eat crow, but can't help but have this feeling that, "Oh crap! What are we going to do about AFP Deluxe?" is making its rounds at the G3 camp...

Charles
Old 11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Alex,

If we buy G3, Will there be a rebate? Online hosting. Will G2 users be able to connect with a G3 host?

Thanks
Crash99
Old 11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Cougar-RCU

ORDER STATUS
ORDER NOW BEING PICKED AND PACKED IN WAREHOUSE

MINE IS SHIPPING FRIDAY! *yippy*
11/19/04
Old 11-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Cougar-RCU

r1derbike,

Sure there is.. Click G3 when there
http://www.knifeedge.com/mainframe.htm
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
r1derbike

Hey Coug? I don't get your email above? If it is about my saying Knife Edge had no information, they did not when I wrote the email...in fact, I think it may have been in response to my (and others) notice that they did not have any information about G3...there was no information on their website, until after I wrote the email...look on their forums/discussion site, and you'll see what I mean...

Charles