Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TurtleRacing

When will you be old enough to be involved in an adult conversation???
Old 11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
wyattroa

anything anyone says about you will find wrong or something that could do better. im guessing HPI made the car more for the basher then the racer. I really do love people like you... people give good points and that still isnt enough for your kind.
robert
ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

makes a change from it looks good - filter at the front more dirt and risk of water in carb,shocks unprotected from shell but are threaded like the leopards,yes it seems to handle well - but afterall its on a hpi promo video but would be intresting to see it for real - yes i would like to here more to see what justifys the £750 price tag

leopard - off set wide racing rimms and treads - cable and hydro ready,tuned pipe,alloy diff,cv ball drive system,poly shell and spoiler,gear cover,better radio tray,more universal part wise,race legal,wide wheel base

edit: almost forgot - a zenoah engine

yes i totaly agree with you hpi should be given a chance to evolve but buisness aint like that - other companys have been in the large scale game so long now and have got into the money making habit of giving customers what they want - hpi need to be on the ball with the baja from day one and dont have time to rework certain parts - they should of spent a little time at race tracks to watch all makes in action and looked at what the guys who buy these things like to use & add on there models,universal parts like ally hubbs,brakes so on - they wouldnt of had to compromise anything cosmetics wise,a few simple mods from hpi and it would prob wiped the marder and the other buggy clones
Old 11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
radio_controlled_mad

its when the bad points out way the good compared with what already on the market then is it worth sticking £750 or what ever it costs the usa into it - afterall its YOUR hard earned cash so then its your choice how ever you want to use it race or bash

edit: people like me!!! is it a bad thing to want the most for my money
Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
chopperhopper
My Feedback: (25)

So, anyway, I have been flying gasser helis for a couple of years now and the majority of us seem to be using "coleman fuel" and Amsoil. It costs a little more than gasoline but still not anywhere near nitro. I have never noticed any difference in power or engine temp, I just enjoy being able to keep my equipment in the house without the gasoline smell. I am wondering if any of you large scale owners ever use it in your cars? The only difference that I can see between use in a car vs heli is that there is no cooling fan on a car like there is in a heli so mabey a temp problem would arise? Helis also run at a much more constant RPM than cars too, so mabey that will effect it also. Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM
radio_controlled_mad

we have cooling fins on the car but the only part exposed is the part next to the tuned pipe - normally facing into the wind the rest of the head is covered by a shroud - the gasser helis use zen gp260 engines or is that planes or boats - i thought helis used liquid cooled,as for fuel i just use normal unleaded petrol from the pump mixed with castrol a747 oil
Old 11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
amitysanimal

Not sure if anyone has written about this yet or not but there is a write up about this buggy in the January issue of Radio Control Car Action.

amitysanimal
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 PM
TurtleRacing

WOW!! There was alot of creative editing going on in this post!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 PM
chopperhopper

I guess we lost all the info that was on page 16?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
USABaja5B

More good news is the Pro-line 40 series paddles have started shipping from Tower. I can't wait to get the Baja into the sand dunes. We found a great place to go in Casa Grande, with Hill Climbs and jumps and bowls. The full size people can't get in there, but they let us RCs go there.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM
TurtleRacing

My dad & my aunt live in Casa Grande. Don't know what that has to do with HPI but thought you might like to know what a small world (country)it is.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 PM
chopperhopper

I don't know where our last couple of replies went radio controlled mad, but i guess I will continue:

So there is a fan on the motor under the shroud? Just as though it were pulled straight from a yard trimmer? If thats the case I dont think I will have any probs running coleman fuel. You are right, my heli has the zen 260 in it, but it seems to be stripped down alot more, helis need to save as much weight as possible. I don't know of any that are water cooled, except for the industrial size Yamaha RMax.

(post crash pic of my Century Predator Gasser)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89774.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	355391  
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
radio_controlled_mad

the car engines (cy & zen) both are aircooled - the fins and the manifold header or stockbox are the only parts exposed to the wind which is just one side of the cylinder block, the rest is covered by a thick plastic shroud,i thought helis used the liquid cooled version of the zen engines, i think oneills brothers who use this forum sell the water cooled conversion and they dont cost that much - unless there meant for boats.

edit: just looked at oniells auction - the water conversion is for a zen 260 which you have bad news there for boats

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WT-257-27CC-WA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
USABaja5B

Alot of guys use the Coleman fuel. Do a search from about 2 months ago, when it was a hot topic.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
chopperhopper

Lost Post:

I have been flying gasser helis for a couple of years and it seem as though the majority of us use "coleman fuel" and Amsoil instead of gasoline. It costs a little more than gasoline but still nowhere near the price of nitro. I haven't noticed any difference in power or engine temp, I just enjoy the convenience of being able to keep my equipment inside the house without the gasoline smell. I am wondering if any of you large scale owners use this? The only difference between cars and helis (that i can think of) is that helis have a fan the directs cooling air over the head and that they run at a more constant RPM than cars. Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:43 PM
chopperhopper

Just found it, once again, I ask before I search. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
radio_controlled_mad

helis will like you say be a constant rpm - cars more so off roaders dont get the time or space to run wide open throttle for long periods but the cylinder head and pipe are always hot to the touch - i would imagine useing amsoil ect will make these temp even hotter if the engines is moving at a higher rpm for long periods of time
Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
razataz327

I have a monster beetle and love it.. parts are very expensive for us in Canada.. but if I need them I get them.. the Baja 5 looks like a great veh... not sure why radio controlled mad is not a happy camper... why shouldn't HPI make something completely new and different.. so what if it can or cannot use other manufactures parts... did FG think of that when they started...

Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
HeatFire

i've heard some that run their 260 engines with a fuel called aspen.. it sounds like it's the same.. it doesnt smell.. better for the enviroment etc.. i gonna change to using that.. bad thing is that fuel smells for so long after you used it... well i can allways clean it better
i dont think it will run hoter with it...
Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
amitysanimal

I switched to coleman fuel last fall and have had no problems at all. I mix it with Amsoil and it runs fine and idles fine. I can still flip my MB on its back no problem by hitting the throttle, no power loss at all. It is very nice to be able to bring it in the house and transport it inside my truck and not smell gas. The only downfall I guess is yes it is about a dollar more a gallon than gas, but I would pay twice that to not have the smell of gas in my basement or my truck. If I can come up with some extra cash for the HPI buggy, it will burn coleman fuel too.

amitysanimal
Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

I just got an update from the distributors. They are not getting them into until late January. It looks like we will all be waiting longer.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: rcnutshobbies

I just got an update from the distributors. They are not getting them into until late January. It looks like we will all be waiting longer.
Well crap!!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM
TurtleRacing

They say the BEST things in life are worth waiting for.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

the back of the engine were the carb,filter is mounted there is a shroud covering the cooling fins - the only fins that are exposed is were the pipe mounts and that is mounted in the opposite direction on the baja

edit: if they had mounted the engine with pipe facing the radio tray - they would protected carb from dirt & water,cooled down the head,let other brands of pipes on the market fit the baja,and they would of still had a great looking model - they wouldnt of compromised anything to do this

This is out of the FG catalog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68396.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	355495  
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
jeepfreak1972

You think maybe FG figured out that the heat from the pipe blows back on the fins of the cylinder as the car goes forward and heats up the engine causing power loss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.