Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 06:20 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

Will this car feature more cowbell?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:33 AM
skulldoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where the heck is this "ihobby" at ??? located?
ORIGINAL: HPI Staff

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

The photos are looking better and better. IS HPI going to be demo'ing this buggy at iHobbyExpo? Any pre-sales?
Unfortunately there is no dirt track at iHobby, and the demo track is only 40x80. We'll have the Baja 5B on display and a video of it in action. Stop by and say Hi.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 AM
original.mb

love the new pics, i'm sold
Old 10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
HPI Staff

The iHobby Expo is at the Los Angeles Convention Center this year on October 22-23. You can see more at www.ihobbyexpo.com

More cowbell! ...

Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 AM
TurtleRacing

The FG guys say the HPI is not legal for racing in Europe, personally I could care less but what is HPI Staffs response to this??
I got to give it to HPI on this one,I've been interested in large scale for a while now but never purchased,now I can't wait till my Baja arrives.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:54 AM
subarubrat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fellows, Fellows, the steel pinion was nice, but I gotta tell you, I could have used more cowbell.

" The FG guys say the HPI is not legal for racing in Europe, personally I could care less but what is HPI Staffs response to this??"

-Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian.

I am buying this one for the fun of it, not for racing so I don't really car what class it may or may not fall into. I would have liked to see it as 1/4 scale just for the bigger the better factor. I would bet that a tiny fraction of buyers would actually be racing formally, that is probably true of most cars.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
radio_controlled_mad

no the fg guys did not say this wasnt race legal - it was the govening bodies that make those rules for all makes of cars in europe not just hpi (hpi dimension to big) so get your facts right - those rules dont apply to the usa so what dif does it make what you buy,if hpi wanted a slice of the european market they would of made it race legal!! there marketing department aint dumb - its aimed at a certain portion of the market.im not saying its a bad car - but not sure i would buy one even to bash - not till its been released for a while to make sure it dont flop like the kyoshos attempt at petrol rcs and theres atleast a good supply of stock and option parts.takes more than pretty colours for me to part with £600,would atleast like to see it driven for real or in a lhs.

edit: buy what you like,use it how you like - then comment on it,but your not in any kind of positon to slag any models made by fg like you did earlier in this thread "saying they were weak and break to easy" - even though u have never owned any make of large scale,i hope you get as much fun out of hpi new model as i do from my fgs.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

The photos are looking better and better. IS HPI going to be demo'ing this buggy at iHobbyExpo? Any pre-sales?
Unfortunately there is no dirt track at iHobby, and the demo track is only 40x80. We'll have the Baja 5B on display and a video of it in action. Stop by and say Hi.
I'll be sure to stop by, say hello, and check out the buggy. I was informed that 1/10th scale demos will be held on a 84' x 45' RCP Track. Kyosho's mini track layout will be around 19' x 33'. Either way, it's too bad you didn't have the Baja at RCX 2005 since there was plenty of dirt. I'll can still run it outside if you want. By the way, nice full-size HPI Savage at RCX 2004.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
TurtleRacing

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

no the fg guys did not say this wasnt race legal - it was the govening bodies that make those rules for all makes of cars in europe not just hpi (hpi dimension to big) so get your facts right - those rules dont apply to the usa so what dif does it make what you buy,if hpi wanted a slice of the european market they would of made it race legal!! there marketing department aint dumb - its aimed at a certain portion of the market.im not saying its a bad car - but not sure i would buy one even to bash - not till its been released for a while to make sure it dont flop like the kyoshos attempt at petrol rcs and theres atleast a good supply of stock and option parts.takes more than pretty colours for me to parts with £600,would atleast like to see it driven for real or in a lhs.
I want to know what HPIs thoughts are on the subject,not yours

[EDITED]

*If someone doesn't want to read someone's posts, there is the "ignore" option.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
radio_controlled_mad

i can comment how i like on large scale - i own a few - do you.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 AM
TurtleRacing

Here we go again,everybody needs to remember that only people that have them can admire them!!!! So all you other noobies out there thinking of buy 1 keep in mind that you are not allowed to like any until you own them all!! I've been informed of this several times

[EDITED AGAIN - SEE YOUR PRIOR POST]
Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
radio_controlled_mad

HOW CAN YOU COMMENT ON A CAR THAT AINT EVEN RELEASED DO YOU BELEIVE ALL SECOND HAND COMMENTS YOU READ IN A FORUM,HOW CAN YOU SAY FG IS WEAK YOU DONT EVEN OWN ONE!!!! - TRY BUY THEM COMMENT,OF COURSE YOU CAN ADMIRE A CAR - WE ALL DO,BUT TO COMPARE IT AGAINST ANOTHER IS JUST DUMB AS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN OR DRIVEN OR EVEN KNOW HOW IT HANDLES, KNOW WHAT THE CUSTOMER SUPPORT WILL BE LIKE ,BLAH BLAH BLAH
Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am locking this thread temporaily, so that the members can calm down and so other mods can review it as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah MR.HPI when are you guys gonna let it out to the public, and what's the steering servo torque, how fast did you guy's clock it, and can we see some 10 to 15 foot jumping video as you did for the savage or can this buggy not handle this type of action. PLEASE respond and thank you for your response
I'm not sure on the servo torque, but the steering servo is giant and it responds very quickly. I never felt any lag while driving it and you you can see from the video that steering is quick and crisp.

We haven't clocked the top speed yet but it's fast, maybe too fast in stock form. The videos show it with the restrictor pipe installed and it still has lots of speed. A tuned pipe and bigger displacement engine will make it crazy fast.

10 to 15 foot jumps with a vehicle this big is a lot different than a Savage. As you get closer to "real scale" the dynamics of the vehicle get more realistic... momentum and mass put huge amounts of stress on the vehicle and a big crash is probably going to break something. We have designed certain inexpensive and easy-to-access parts to fail before damage is done to the expensive and labor-intensive parts. For example, on the Savage the $5 C hubs are designed to break to avoid damage to the bulkheads. I'm sure we'll try some giant jumps soon, but right now we haven't.
Thanks for your reply it looks sweet and I'm gonna get one... buy the way can you post some low to the ground direct front & direct rear pictures along with F/R tire size ht. and width. IF you can Thanks... if you cannot Thanks anyways for just responding[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-14-2005, 03:11 AM
rhylsadar

hi
nice new pictures. sadly the gear carrier is plastic. it will not hold up.
as for racing. this baja is constructed as a sand buggy from the bottom up. it does not look like a racing buggy to me at all (compared to BX1, super cross, ht1, leo or the like). so i would not care a second if it would be legal for racing or not. and surely it is not designed to do jumps like a 8th scale savy.
but saying savage...when comes a 6th scale 4wd savage from hpi?
rhylsadar
Old 10-14-2005, 05:11 AM
RC Collector

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar
...when comes a 6th scale 4wd savage from hpi?
rhylsadar
Right there - that's where the large-scale jackpot lies. 1/6 scale, gas engine, 4wd, long travel suspension and good ground clearance. Unfortunately, the currrent state of affairs is that the major manufacturers just slap a truck shell on a 2WD buggy chassis and call it a large scale monster truck.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
HPI Staff

hi
nice new pictures. sadly the gear carrier is plastic. it will not hold up.
as for racing. this baja is constructed as a sand buggy from the bottom up. it does not look like a racing buggy to me at all (compared to BX1, super cross, ht1, leo or the like). so i would not care a second if it would be legal for racing or not. and surely it is not designed to do jumps like a 8th scale savy.
but saying savage...when comes a 6th scale 4wd savage from hpi?
rhylsadar
The spur gear is holding up great in our testing.

Regarding racing, if the Baja 5B is popular I'm guessing a class will be created for it.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:14 PM
HPI Staff

ORIGINAL: RC Collector

...when comes a 6th scale 4wd savage from hpi?
rhylsadar
Right there - that's where the large-scale jackpot lies. 1/6 scale, gas engine, 4wd, long travel suspension and good ground clearance. Unfortunately, the currrent state of affairs is that the major manufacturers just slap a truck shell on a 2WD buggy chassis and call it a large scale monster truck.
I'm not so sure of that after driving some of the existing giant scale cars and now the Baja 5B. When driving the Baja 5B you can easily catch drifts because it drives more like a real car. There is a certain "fun factor" to that kind of driving, it's difficult to explain until you get a chance to drive one. Adding 4WD would probably give the vehicle so much grip that it might not be as fun to drive. A giant Savage would be cool... but pretty heavy and a lot more expensive.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Canadian_RC
Banned

If HPI made a 1/5 scale Monster, I would buy it without hesitation, regardless of the price.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 PM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: FG_RC

If HPI made a 1/5 scale Monster, I would buy it without hesitation, regardless of the price.
They are, so get to Tower Hobbies and get on the list!!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Canadian_RC
Banned

Im not talking about the Baja. I prefer monster trucks that actually have decent ground clearance and big tires.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:12 AM
RC Collector

Don't get me wrong, the Baja is a nice package, at a great price. If I was getting into large scale at this time, liked the buggy look, and didn't care about racing, this would be my choice.

It beats all it's nearest competitors either on value or dealer support.

I have to assume that's what HPI's strategy is here - grab market share in an exisiting product line.

As far as creating it's own racing class, I would have to say that that is wishful thinking - there are tens of thousands of large scale buggies out there, with millions of dollars invested, ready to race under existing large scale rules. Remember, the Baja is latecomer to this party.

Since HPI was starting from scratch, why not get ahead of the curve by designing a true large scale monster? Maybe they thought that would be too risky, since no-one has done it yet.

All I can say is that there are are millions of consumer dollars out there, just waiting for that kind of vehicle.

Peformance wise, 4WD is a must for large scale offroad. Drifting is fun, but let's face it, 2WD does have problems putting the power down in the dirt. Even with 4WD you'll be able to drift it when you want because the engine power in the cars can easily overwhelm the tires ability to find traction, and with the center of gravity so far back, traction at the front wheels will be less than at the rears.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 AM
J_D

yea, but with a 4WD drive designed car, wouldn;t they try to balance out the weight a bit more?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:05 AM
TurtleRacing

although i have no large scale experiance(as I am constantly reminded of here),I have driven alot of stadium trucks & that worries me when it comes to large scale 2wd. I've disliked every 2wd truck i've driven,they've been fun to bash & play around with but for controlled driving not so much fun. I can't help but wonder if the large scale will be like this also, won't know till my baja gets here i guess. In watching the videos it looks better then stadium trucks so I'm hopefull.
As far as the racing goes,where i live there is no 1/10 scale racing so i don't think i'll have to concern myself with large scale anytime soon.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:16 AM
jeepfreak1972

I think it comes down to what driving style you have. I don't think I would want my large scale to be 4x4. I like the way it drives as a 2x4. I have owned many 4x4 nitro rigs and I removed the front drive shaft on one to see how it went. If I could have kept rear dog bones intact after that I would have left it that way. As it is now my FG MB out climbs and goes through and over more than any nitro 4x4 I have ever owned so I am happy with it the way it is. It's all in what you like. If 4x4 was an option then more power to those who want it. You never know, if I drove a 4x4 large scale race buggy my mind might be changed. I keep an open mind on most things in life so I am not going to say I would never want one in 4x4, it just doesn't matter to me if they make one or not. Now if they could make a large scale 4x4 buggy just like an 1/8 scale nitro buggy with 3 diffs to tune and the engine more in the center as far as front to back goes, then I would be interested in 4x4 for sure. The 1/8 scale buggy is the only 4x4 set up I like in rc. Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.