Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

cant get my engine started

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

cant get my engine started

Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
bmwperson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get my engine started

ok so I bought a heli from ebay, nexus 30
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
paid $400, now I got fuel 15% and a glow plug A3 for my heli, also a new batt for my glow plug starter.
I filled up the tank, throttle trim all the way up, throttle all the way down, heli on, tx on, mixture knob 2.5 revolutions from closed, glow plug starter in, and 12v starter on, now when the engine is turning I see that the fuel is comming to the engine, but the engine doesnt even move.... not a bit. I bought some fuel not sure if its the right one... its 15% omega and its pink....

Can anyone help me out a bit?

Tom
Old 08-15-2004, 07:48 PM
jrm82266

Default RE: cant get my engine started

I had the same problem today. I was getting too much fuel to the engine even before turning it over. It hydraulic locked on me and I had to clear the fuel before asttempting to start it. I pinched the fuel line and tilted the heli on it's side to let the fuel run through the muffler port and sure enough a lot fuel ran out of the muffler. I did this a few times and then left the glow igniter on for a couple of seconds before attempting a start. The engine fired right up and I let it run out of fuel to clear it out. I took the clip off of my fuel line and fired her up. She ran great the rest of the day. Do not attempt to start the engine if it locks up, you can cause serious damage with hydraulic lock.

Since you bought the heli used I would go to the engine manufacturer's website and make sure the low and high speed needles are set properly. Good luck
Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 AM
bmwperson

My engine turns over with no problem, whenever I felt like the engine might be flooded then I just unpluged the fuel line and glow plug, turned it over a few times so it had a chance to spit out all the excess fuel, then did the same with the glow plug in to clean the exhaust and retried to start it but with no luck. Since I bought the item from ebay Im not really too confident about the engine... Im a newbie to the rc world but overall its a simple engine.... there isnt much that might be wrong, I already changed the glow plug, the fuel is there, the carburnator (sp?) got cleaned, so the air is there, the glow plug is red/hot and the batt for the glow plug starter is brand new also. My tx is set to throttle trim up, throttle down, and the idle needle is 2.5 revolutions from the closed position. Anything else that I could have forgotten? Im really close to buying a new engine, all this [email protected]%#@#% isnt really worth the trouble. The damn engine in that thing is more basic then the one im my lawn mower
Any recommendations as far as my new engine goes? I have a nexus 30 with a simple 6 channel futaba 6hv, for now ill be doing the basic stuff and maybe after getting comfortable with flying this one Ill upgrade to something better... so I dont think investing alot of money in this heli is nessesary.

PS If anyone has a engine for sale PM me.

Tom
Old 08-16-2004, 04:02 AM
steve69

The main mixture needle on the OS 32 needs to be 1.5 turn out not 2.5 turns out,

also just because you have the throttle right back and the trim right up are you sure the linkage and servo settings are correct so that the carb is actually open the correct amount?

if you can visually check that it's not accidentaly reversed and the throttle is wide open as it will flood real quick that way and if it does fire it will scare the [email protected] out of you and do a lot of damage
Old 08-16-2004, 09:56 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably not the engine. I would get help from someone that knows what they are doing. It will save you a lot of headache and maybe injury when it starts. Are you going to know what to do if it starts at a high enough RPM to engage the clutch and blades?

More than likely you are way too rich, or the low end needle is messed up as well. What voltage are you putting in the glow plug?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:12 AM
bmwperson

1. Im starting it without the blades, it shouldnt engage if it does Ill just take down the trim or cut the fuel.
2. 1.57V, the plug gets red when I do it when its taken out.
Ill try it out with only 1.5 open...

Is there a way to measure the compression on that engine?

Tom
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27 AM
steve69

click here for the instruction sheet on carb settings

http://www.net-express.com/nexus/os-carb-1.jpg

from this site:

http://www.net-express.com/nexus/

or the full manual in pdf format:

http://www.osengines.com/manuals/32sx-h-manual.pdf
Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM
bmwperson

how acurate do I have to be on the mixture to get it started? If I have too much fuel in the cylinder can it cause the glow plug to not ignite the fuel? I dont think I ever hydrolocked the engine... Im gonna try that 1.5rotation today when I come back home.

Tom
Old 08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
steve69

on the main needle it just needs to be fairly close, I made a mark on the end with a permenant marker so I could see how far round I went just as an indication,
the low side adjustment (the one inside the centre of the carb barrel (sp) is fairly important and does need to have the engine/carb out to get it accurate as per the instructions I posted earlier,
If it helps I have just measured mine, with the carb FULLY closed it is 3 1/4 turns out, but it is best to remove so you can do it as per instructions as it could be yours may be slightly different.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve
Old 08-16-2004, 08:29 PM
bmwperson

Tried it again, no luck... I called the guy asked him about it, he said he ran 15 tanks of nitro thru it, is that alot?

Tom
Old 08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
FLYBOY

Thats not a lot. Why don't you have him show you how to start it? There are people close to you that can help. Would make it so much easier for you.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:11 AM
bmwperson

He is in NJ im in IL so kinda far away, I talked to him on the phone and I did what he said but it still wouldnt start, Im probably gonna go to franklin park there is a heli airfield maybe someone there can help me out.
PS Do I need my AMA to do anythign there? I havnt gotten one yet...

Tom
Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 PM
jrm82266

BMW,

I have the perfect solution for you. If you follow the instructions for setting up the new OS .37 your engine will run fine. Of course you'll have to buy the .37 too. If you are married explain to the wife how you hate to have to buy a new engine but you have no other choice then drop a few tears. Works for me, but after 18 years she's starting to catch on.[:@]
Old 08-17-2004, 01:24 PM
bmwperson

Hehe Im 19 so Im my own man ;> Im not too happy about spending some more money but if thats what it takes to get this thing in the air... Ill give the guy a call, maybe we can work out a deal, like 50/50 for a new/used engine. Its all messed up I got the heli, paid a little more just to make sure its nice and solid and I can fly it right away... and it turned out for the worst, not a good start but hopefuly I can get it in the air soon. On the good side I spent countless hours on the sim....

Tom
Old 08-17-2004, 05:28 PM
FLYBOY

Its not a screwed up engine. If you buy a new one, you will have the same problems and risk screwing it up too. Go to the field and get help. It will run fine. If they require AMA, you can write them a check there, get signed up and be flying in 5 minutes. They will then help you set up the engine and teach you more in 1 hour than you will learn in a month by yourself!

You will be much happier!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:27 PM
jrm82266

BMW,

FLYBOY is absolutely correct. I was joking about getting a new engine. I would only replace the engine if the one you have is shot or if you wanted more power which you probably do not need at this stage. I have an Enya 35XH, not a real powerful engine but it is great to learn on. One trip to the field and one of the experienced pilots should be able to diagnose the problem. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 PM
vallon

I notice you said throttle trim all the way up and throttle all the way down. Does this mean your engine carb is completely closed? If this is so. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but my heli does not start if the carb is closed. I usually have ot put the stick almost half way for my engine to start. If the engine is cold I have to put it about half stick, and hold the blades to keep from spinning fast too soon, then when it starts I quickly move the throttle back down to an idle. I don't know if this will help. My engine shuts off when I throttle all the way down. I am not sure what you are running, but I have an O.S. 32 engine.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 AM
changed
Banned

Valloon,

Starting your heli at half stick is quite dangerous, not to mention you will wear out your clutch prematurely. Mine will start at idle most every time, and if it doesn't I will run the trim up a few clicks. Sounds like you need to set up your throttle again. At low stick the engine should be running slow enough that it does not engage the clutch, and you should be able to shut the engine off with the trim tab. Go to www.raptortechnique.com and he will show you how to set it up step by step.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:36 AM
vallon

I am glad you said something Squints. I have not had my transmitter completely set up according to what I just read on that raptortechnique web site. I have more set up to do so that I may set up my trottle cut feature. It appearse my copter should not be shutting off by just moving the stick all the way to the bottom. I should be using the throttle cut button which should be doing it. See? I am still learning. But its all fun!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
changed
Banned

ORIGINAL: vallon

See? I am still learning. But its all fun!

Yeah me too! Do you think our heads will explode eventually?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
vallon

I don't know. They may one of these days.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:51 AM
changed
Banned

BMW

Did you get that engine running yet? Man it would be killing me to have this neat new toy and not be able to get it started.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
bmwperson

I didnt... and its pissing me off like no tommorow... Im gonna pick up a new engine within the next 2 days or so. I bet the engine is busted... I had a friend come in and to have it started and he said it might be low compression. I also started his shuttle with the same engine just as a form of practice He even let me fly it for 5s I cant wait to get the damn thing in air....

Tom
Old 08-19-2004, 01:50 PM
FLYBOY

send me the engine when you pull it out if you are going to throw it away. I bet there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:28 PM
bmwperson

ill send it to the guy that sold me the heli proly since id want to get a refund for it or something, but if he doesnt want it, its yours.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.