Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Art-Tech Shark 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
high flyer 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Art-Tech Shark 450

I purchased a DX7 at my lhs. The dealer took out the rx & servos
& sold it to me for $200. I then purchased 2, Spektrum 6200's for
$80 each. Got the Spektrum mail-in rebate form. Then Spektrum
sends you 2 free 6200's. (or whatever rx's you bought) So for $360
you get a DX7 & 4, 6200's rx's to use w/your heli's and/or planes.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

yikes.... had my first real crash today..... i was doing some forward flight, had it about 80 yards in front of me in a big clearing, and there was wayyyyyy more wind there (20-25 kph), i got it up to about 45 feet, and it started lifting higher, i avoided some power lines, ended up she came down about 35 yards from me hard on her side.....i broke the plastic pin that holds the canopy, bent a flybar shaft, and the spindle shaft that i re-straightened, i didnt even break the blades! oh, and the one thing that threw me for a loop, i broke the jesus-bolt.

i put a new feathering shaft/flybar on it, took it out to see how it would work, and to see if there was any wobble at all in the mainshaft, the dang thing spooled up funny, and made a weird sound..... i figured the one-way bearing was shot..... turns out the head was spinning on the main shaft cause the jesus bolt sheared off, it broke in such a way i couldnt see it at first ;-) it was tough to get out. but its all back together and as smooth as silk ;-)

crazy.

looked like a major crash, but only did about 2$ damage...... ;-) gotta love it.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM
jawad101

ORIGINAL: ginnz

looked like a major crash, but only did about 2$ damage...... ;-) gotta love it.
Aren't those the best!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
rotorhead0207

19 cent jesus bolt saved the blades. Way cool. Get the rex 450 mount and another bolt and nuts and cut the bolt off and put the mount pin on it and then the nut and screw it on and another nut and your good to go. Should cost less than $4.50 It'll space out from the frame about 2mm.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 AM
jawad101

i put a new feathering shaft/flybar on it, took it out to see how it would work, and to see if there was any wobble at all in the mainshaft, the dang thing spooled up funny, and made a weird sound..... i figured the one-way bearing was shot..... turns out the head was spinning on the main shaft cause the jesus bolt sheared off, it broke in such a way i couldnt see it at first ;-) it was tough to get out. but its all back together and as smooth as silk ;-)

A question for all. My feathering shaft had the tiniest of all bends in it. Not sure from what, but I was able to notice it when I looked at it from a distance. I was able to straighten it out fairly nicely, but I've heard my share of stories about how the feather shaft brought down their heli. I haven't gotten a chance to run it up since then, but since it's down for now, should I get another feathering shaft or ya'll realistically thing that it shouldn't be too bad (emphasis on the realistic part). If a new one is needed, are you guys using stock or TREX or someone else? Part number? Thanks guys!!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 PM
rotorhead0207

I've straightened them and re-used them but always in the back of you mind is " I hope it holds". I see Goldrust1 has the stock shaft in stock or you can use the rex450SE shaft but you'll need two bolts and two washers to complete it. If you use the rex shaft don't forget the blue locktite to keep the bolts from backing out.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
jawad101

Thanks Rotor.

Now I don't think this happened, but if the paddles were rotated, aside from just looking and seeing if they are tracking well, is there a way to accurately adjust the pitch of the paddles?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
ginnz

line the paddles up by eye. that works fine.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
jawad101

line the paddles up by eye. that works fine.

Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
rotorhead0207

you can use your pitch gauge but it's just about as accurate to use your eyeballs. There is a pitch gauge just for doing flybar paddles.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
rotorhead0207

ginnz: seeing as it sheared the jesus bolt, turn the machine over and very carefully inspect the motor bell as I've seen some with cracks emmanating out from the set screw hole and going across the arms of the end of the bell. They show as faint silver lines and I have changed one motor that has only 2 arms still attached to the center where the shaft comes thru the end the others are cracked thru.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 PM
ginnz

wow..... i wouldnt have looked there at all. it seems i have 2 small cracks (across 2 arms) exactly where you describe. after i rebuilt the bent parts, it seemed to work alright, i hovered a pack through it.

how long will it last at this point? will it do any harm to run it like this, providing i dont crash again? and, does Goldrust1 have motors for these, i didnt see any on his e-bay store.

dang it. now i need a motor.

thanks for pointing this out to me. :-)
Old 03-22-2008, 11:38 PM
rotorhead0207

he carry's the motors, email him. The Shark motor is a 3550Kv motor and the replacements are a 3850Kv and as such the ones that I've replaced have a high head speed which translates into a very high tail rotor speed which I found made the bird twitchy. What I'd do is order the HL2215-450 and put an 11 tooth pinion from a rex on it. I've calculated out that the head speed should be the same as stock. Sorry that your's broke. That's three now, one I replaced for Nitro and a friend in Ontario had his break as well after a solid crash. Now yours. Have a good look at the motor mount as well as I've seen them break off the corners too.
Edit: on a full charge at full throttle the motor turns a shade over 40,200RPM How long will it last your guess is as good as mine?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 AM
ginnz

well, my lhs has align 430l motors (3550kv), ill pick one up along with a pinion pack and keep you all posted.... :-) and, upon further examination, it appears 2 of the pieces on the bottom of the motor are cracked. man that sucks.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Rock 114

What kind of head speed do you guys run on these little things,the best compromise between performance and being abusive. Mine seems to have a vibration in the tail rotor at 2500-2700 head rpm or at 13000 rpm at the tail and I cannot track it down. My high point is too big to handle parts this small.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
rotorhead0207

I have mine set so that it gets light on the skids at 2190 rpm and just gets airborne at 2220. This equates to 72% throttle on the curve. When I run these numbers thru it shows a head speed of about 3700 rpm at full throttle and a full charged battery. But there are a lot of losses in these sorts of calculations, so I'm guessing now probably 32-3300 at full throttle. I will some day tie it down again and get under it with my tach and give it full throttle and see what it does. It just scares the crap out of me to be that close to spinning carbon fiber and holding the tach. Your putting a lot of faith in the blade grip bolts etc. etc. Maybe I should figure out how to get the tach under it without me being there.
Edit: have you tried a piece of tape on one the tail blades to see if you can make it worse or better? I think I'd start with that and see what it gets you.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:50 PM
xodarap1

The 300 HDX - 4200 motor works great on the shark with a 12T pinion.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Rock 114

I had a friend use an x-cell optical tach and yes they will spin the head over 3000 rpm in flight but mine is set to hover at about 2300-2400 rpm and hits about 2600 on a full throttle clime out.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
ginnz

ORIGINAL: xodarap1

The 300 HDX - 4200 motor works great on the shark with a 12T pinion.

really? the specs are for a 300 class heli, and the speed is rated at 2200 rpm. have you tried one with a 12 tooth as stated? it has the power to do the job? if this is really the case, i may order 2 or 3 and use them in my shark, and my falcon. now i just need to find 2.3mm pinions. id like to get a couple different ones, just to play with..... and, on this topic of 4200 KV( motors, i just ordered a cheap brushless 4200KV motor and 30 amp ESC from ebay a couple days ago, planning to use it in my falcon, one dude on a different site jumped on me claiming it wouldnt work, as he states the head/tailspeed will be way to high..... and on the specs it says it runs at 7.4v(the 300HDX)? im just covering all my bases here.i found a supplier in the U.S that has them for 18.00 ... i appreciate your input/experience with this setup.

and Rotorhead.

i wonder if we could find parts for the original motors, ie: the bell, we could just replace them..... and you suggested the HL2215-450, where can i find these motors here in canada, or even in the U.S for that matter? i found a supplier in hongkong that has these units for 19.00 U.S

the sooner i can get some clear answers to all my motor questions, the sooner i can "buy it now" ;-)

oh, and BTW.

i bought a Blackhawk 500 yesterday from a guy in quebec..... he's sending it to me C.O.D, i got the whole package for 300.00, minus the radio, its the SE Pro version with all cnc parts.i have a spare AR6200 ill put in it. and prolly get a better gyro for it next month! ill post a pic.

thanks guys.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80635.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	912724  
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
xodarap1

have you tried one with a 12 tooth as stated?
Yup, that's what I have in my shark and I have a lot of flights on that combo. I like it better than the stock motor. It seems to have plenty of head speed when throttle curve is set mid point (normal at 55%, S1 at 75% and S2 at 85%. It climbs very fast and has no problem powering out of things. The fff speed is great and it handles the wind well. They don't cost much (i think they are only like $19 or so) so you don't have much to lose by checking it out. If you don't like it, you can always put it in a falcon.. but I'm pretty sure you will like the performance of it. It is a smaller "looking" motor compared to the stock one, but don't let that fool you. If for some reason you need or want more or less pop out of it you could adjust the throttle curve and/or swap to a different pinion (11T, 13T). I'd love to hear what you think of it if you decide to give it a shot.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
ginnz

awesome...

on that note, ill order one tomorrow, and i also saw the HDX450 listed there, maybe ill get 2 of the hdx300, and one 450, that should cover most of my bases.... :-)

thanks for the reply!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
rotorhead0207

Goldrust1 had or still has the HL2215-450 in stock. email him and ask. They were quite cheap if I remember correctly. They have the correct shaft size to use the rex pinions. If you count the teeth on your stock pinion you'll discover that the manual is wrong it's not 12 tooth it's 14 tooth so an 11 or 12 tooth for a rex should put you right on stock speed. As for the bells I don't know of a single source for after market bells. It'd be nice to find one and what is probably needed is a motor that has the bearing on the free (open) end of the bell to support it. That would make them almost bullet proof. It's not so much the fast speed they turn it's that the open end of the bell has no support and it just rocks around when they take a hit. This puts all the stress on the 5 arms on the shaft end of the bell. It's interesting that the cracks propagate from the set screw hole. Maybe it just needs some red Locktite on the shaft then tighten the screw then back it off till the Locktite sets than insert the set screw and tighten it down. That way the Locktite has to shear before the set screw is hit, putting the load on the end bell.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM
ginnz

ORIGINAL: rotorhead0207

Goldrust1 had or still has the HL2215-450 in stock. email him and ask. They were quite cheap if I remember correctly. They have the correct shaft size to use the rex pinions. If you count the teeth on your stock pinion you'll discover that the manual is wrong it's not 12 tooth it's 14 tooth so an 11 or 12 tooth for a rex should put you right on stock speed. As for the bells I don't know of a single source for after market bells. It'd be nice to find one and what is probably needed is a motor that has the bearing on the free (open) end of the bell to support it. That would make them almost bullet proof. It's not so much the fast speed they turn it's that the open end of the bell has no support and it just rocks around when they take a hit. This puts all the stress on the 5 arms on the shaft end of the bell. It's interesting that the cracks propagate from the set screw hole. Maybe it just needs some red Locktite on the shaft then tighten the screw then back it off till the Locktite sets than insert the set screw and tighten it down. That way the Locktite has to shear before the set screw is hit, putting the load on the end bell.
he just got back to me, he has the hl2215/450's in stock, but he states the rpm of these are 3850 as well...... same as the 3850k motor. what difference would it make? is one a better motor than the other?

i like the fact the 2215-450 has the same pinion size as the rex. it would be easy enough to try different ones.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
rotorhead0207

that's the motor that I put in Nitro's Shark and with the stock pinion the head speed is quite high. If you use that motor I'd use a rex 450 11 or 12 tooth pinion, that should give you the same head speed as stock. I'd start with the 11 and if you find the head a little slow up to the 12 but my calculations show the 11 should be right on the money.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
ginnz

right on.

then i will order 2 right away! im going to look for an 8 and 9 tooth for my falcon3d as well...... maybe.

or ill keep em both for my shark.

my falcon is my "backburner" heli....... i think with a new esc, the stock motor may still be alright.

and then, theres my blackhawk 500 se pro, which, i just recieved a tracking# for about 5 mins ago..... heheheheheee. i hope my wife doesnt go to the mail the day it arrives! :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.