Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Low flyover

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Low flyover

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Low flyover

This flyover is from the Iowa-OhioState game. T-38's were cleared for a 1000 foot, it was actually under 300. The stadium is 137'.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEF6M1t-DE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Rob Howarth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low flyover

Now that's what I call perfect timing. Have to give it to you guys - you do it properly :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Actually...

The pilots are all up on charges (pending investigation)...the CO is probably going to lose his job and the formation was substandard at best.

3 of the pilots were Field Graders...so they are really gonna get burned more than likely. Retired life here it comes...

They had the timing down though...

B
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Ups! Yea, I guess this picture from the press box blows the 1000', or even 500' story out of the water...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30892.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1533706  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Buck, dat you?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPC-4Mj3N8&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
rhklenke

Now one would assume that anyone doing this over the stadium at Navy would have every "i" dotted and "t" crossed on all the required permissions, wouldn't one?

Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 AM
bevar

I think that guy was keel hauled after he landed...

Beave

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Now one would assume that anyone doing this over the stadium at Navy would have every ''i'' dotted and ''t'' crossed on all the required permissions, wouldn't one?

Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
rhklenke

But, apparently these guys didn't...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBM8kGao_ao&feature=PlayList&p=8F731240931CEF72&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38[/youtube]

[link=http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/03/navy_pilots_punished_031910w/]http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/03/navy_pilots_punished_031910w/[/link]
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Pat Barnes

ORIGINAL: bevar

Actually...

The pilots are all up on charges (pending investigation)...the CO is probably going to lose his job and the formation was substandard at best.

3 of the pilots were Field Graders...so they are really gonna get burned more than likely. Retired life here it comes...

They had the timing down though...

B
Agreed - there's nothing like a bit of unauthorised low flying as a career limiter! Foolish guys - camera evidence is difficult to beat. Timing was perfect though - maybe a case of compensating errors, as any AWI would say!!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pilots of these F-18's were permanately grounded for their stunt.  Just missed the building just past the stadium.   My son was on the field with the marching band, plays trombone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlX2Fb0kZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOND1KRmCjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnpA...eature=related

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure what it is about crowds and common sense when it comes to fly-bys.....makes ordinarily intelligent and professional pilots do crazy stuff. Not saying I've done it myself, but there was this one time in Vietnam when the friendlies requested a flyby and.........well, a few of the troops felt compelled to hit the dirt.

At least that was back before the days when everybody had a video camera or phone to record what you did............not that there were any min altitudes or anything over there, short of busting your butt.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw one on Youtude of the TCU and Navy game, that flyby was off the hook, and defintely lower than the booth. I still see no reason to ground them, they were doing what was asked of them. Who wants to see a flyby at a 1000' feet anyways?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Now one would assume that anyone doing this over the stadium at Navy would have every ''i'' dotted and ''t'' crossed on all the required permissions, wouldn't one?

Bob
Ahh. never mind, read backwards..........thought it was NAVY at TCU here in Ft Worth..........Buck's ex-airsapce.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
RBardin

I agree. We need way more retired FAA workers than crack pilots. Seems like every time someone demonstrates incredible skills or makes a great accomplishment, here come the success police...I want to know our forces have got skills, and don't think they should be hanged career-wise for demonstrating them. Isn't that what they've been trained to do?!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
bevar

There are some old videos of the Thunderbirds flying so low over the crowd that the ones that did not hit the deck were knocked off of their feet.

Of course...that was also when parents gave kids shotguns and pocket knives as presents for Christmas (which is OK by me).

Beave

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Not sure what it is about crowds and common sense when it comes to fly-bys.....makes ordinarily intelligent and professional pilots do crazy stuff. Not saying I've done it myself, but there was this one time in Vietnam when the friendlies requested a flyby and.........well, a few of the troops felt compelled to hit the dirt.

At least that was back before the days when everybody had a video camera or phone to record what you did............not that there were any min altitudes or anything over there, short of busting your butt.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Bob
Ahh. never mind, read backwards..........thought it was NAVY at TCU here in Ft Worth..........Buck's ex-airsapce.
Yea, I wasn't sure where it was either until I looked at the video in detail. Seriously, one would think that anyone doing that at a Navy game where all of the Brass was guaranteed to be there would have the required permission to do so and strictly adhere to the altitude limits given. I didn't read anything about that guy getting hung, so apparently, its allowed on some occasions/locations...

Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: RBardin

I agree. We need way more retired FAA workers than crack pilots. Seems like every time someone demonstrates incredible skills or makes a great accomplishment, here come the success police...I want to know our forces have got skills, and don't think they should be hanged career-wise for demonstrating them. Isn't that what they've been trained to do?!
A flameout down and dirty in that situation would not turn out very good, even with a "crack" pilot driving the jet.
V..
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome....Wish they did stuff like that over here ........cant get too low

Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
RUFTER

I think you need to look at the Ramstein-crash footage again as a reminder of what can go wrong when highly experienced pilots fly low and close to thousands of spectators.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Robrow

Yep, lots of them on the tube and always 2 polar view points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa_KrNNebzU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfDs...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kgusd1rN6E&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKGA...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgusX...1&feature=fvwp

Rob.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Pat Barnes

ORIGINAL: RUFTER

I think you need to look at the Ramstein-crash footage again as a reminder of what can go wrong when highly experienced pilots fly low and close to thousands of spectators.

Rufter - completely agree.

RBardin - a flypast is no test of a mil jet jocks skill - it's a walk in the park. There's a reason why they are hauled over the coals - their egos are getting in the way of professionalism, and the guys chewing them out were young bucks once too. Rules in military aviation come in because someone did something stupid once and died (or killed someone else) - then the rule is put in place to prevent the same stupid mistake. The Ramstein accident is a perfect example - display flying rules were tightened up immensely after this, taking into account all the what if's and particularly where the jet will end up if something goes wrong at the worst possible moment. The guys in these videos are seriously misguided at best! Their 'skills' should be saved for operational flying and not showing off to the public!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
RBardin

Vincent, Rufter, Pat

C'mon, really? When was the last Staduim flyover crash? You guys for banning everything that has some elment of danger? I don't think technology would be where it is today if we banned everything that had risks. Airshows have been associated with risk both for the participants and spectators since inception - its a part of the draw. Attend or don't.

I will concede that a football game is not an airshow, and that many of the attendees had no knowlege that they would be treated to a flyover. But they're usually shouting wildly with enthusiasm after it occurs. I'm usually looking skyward trying to figure out where they'll come over by "O'er the land of the free..."

The mission of a fly over is to show off. If it bothers you guys so much, stay home and play with your dollies.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clever or Stupid............. Interesting question. One thing I know the Red Arrows can knock spots off anything the US can put in the air. Oh and with less than half the power under their seat

Look out now I have said it

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65602.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1533811  
Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
SAP_2000

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

One thing I know the Red Arrows can knock spots off anything the US can put in the air. Oh and with less than half the power under their seat

Look out now I have said it

Oh oh [:-]

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

It looked awesome as far as I am concerned, also great timing. God Bless the military

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.