Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Hi Weave:
The other hand I have never been shot down on 72
They must as so many
other'sthink it is a better system

Dave
ORIGINAL: WEAVE

Why is that someone always feels the need to bad mouth other companys equipment when that statement is untrue. To say that 2.4 was junk is crazy I have been flying JR for over 35 years and yes I have had problems but I also had problems with Pro-Line , MRC, Futaba etc. But for me 2.4 has been a Godsend I have yet to have a problem and the fact that I have not been shot down like I have had 3 times on 72 it is just great. I will agree tha newer stuff is always around the corner but to just bad mouth 2.4 is uncalled for we need to be more positive instead of negative as for mysely I am glad to be flying 2.4 Ronnie. TopGun builder and Pilot.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is that someone always feels the need to bad mouth other companys equipment when that statement is untrue. To say that 2.4 was junk is crazy I have been flying JR for over 35 years and yes I have had problems but I also had problems with Pro-Line , MRC, Futaba etc. But for me 2.4 has been a Godsend I have yet to have a problem and the fact that I have not been shot down like I have had 3 times on 72 it is just great. I will agree tha newer stuff is always around the corner but to just bad mouth 2.4 is uncalled for we need to be more positive instead of negative as for mysely I am glad to be flying 2.4 Ronnie. TopGun builder and Pilot.
Perhaps he finds it neccesary because some people don't read his posts correctly, he did not say 2.4 was junk.

Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how true this is, but I heard from an informed source that one of the reasons for the split between Spektrum and JR is the fact that Spektrum have started to bring out Tx with over seven channels, Spektrum in the first instance said they would leave the above seven channel market to JR, may or may not be true.

Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Hey Dave,

Love your signature line: Fly for fun,,,,,Live in Peace.

Now we both know that isn't possible on RCU.

Hey John,
Since the 11X was sold w/ the SD card slot, and the response from you posted by WhoDaMan said it was a "reprogramming" of all the JR Radio's to DSM-X, then how come i have to send my 11X in to be upgraded? If it is just a re-programming, then why can't it just be as simple as doing an update w/ the SD card slot in the 11X like would be done with any of the previous updates?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

It would not be possible to change the DSM2 to DSMX with just programming. Although the firmware would have to change as well. There are electronic components that would need to be changed. I would guess that the chip that controls waveform generation and freq shifting would be a start as well as the actual tranmitter (Amp). This would allow you to keep your model memory though as long as no glitches happen. If your TX has a SD slot you could probably back up your model setting before shipping.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the 11X the SD card slot is only for model memory, nothing more.

And yes, there very well might be some internal changes requried. I don't try to know enough about that stuff to worry about it.

Pretty arrogant statement about DSM and DSM2 being junk. I have not had my transmitters changed over yet and don't have any big worry to get them done. It works and works great, always has.

Will let the RCU world handle itself.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
WhoDaMan

Well said John:

That is why so much wisdom has left postingon here, to much complaining and arguing, sad but true
Thanks for everything

ORIGINAL: John Redman

In the 11X the SD card slot is only for model memory, nothing more.

And yes, there very well might be some internal changes requried. I don't try to know enough about that stuff to worry about it.

Pretty arrogant statement about DSM and DSM2 being junk. I have not had my transmitters changed over yet and don't have any big worry to get them done. It works and works great, always has.

Will let the RCU world handle itself.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
jlarson31

To the earlier comment about all the DSM2 stuff you currently have; there is 10 minute video on Horizon's site that does a pretty good job of explaining the system(s). If I understood it correctly, once you get a DSMX capable radio, you can still use the DSM2 Rx's you already have. So there is a degree of backwards compatibility with this new technology. To actually operate in DSMX, both the Tx and Rx need to be "X" models. If you look at the JR product pages, Tx's and Rx's coming in March are the new DSMX type product. Sounds like they just went ahead and pulled current inventory and are upgrading it on site. Should help get a few units out in the field faster.

Kind of glad this came about now, makes things easier for my next radio purchase. I have the original 72 Mhz 9303 with a spektrum 2.4 module in the back. Can't upgrade that model. Throw in the Duralite Li-Ion pack I'm running and I have about $1000 tied up in a radio that feature-wise is just shy of the 9503 at a $550ish price point. I wasn't going to put another dime in radio gear until JR released the next technology jump. Now I need to decide if a 12th channel is worth $750, or if I can handle looking down at Optimus Prime's head in my hands after I land. I'll admit, the 11X feels good in my big bear claws, but man it looks weird..
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 PM
jlarson31

And no, I was not replying to John. Just hit the last post button at the bottom of the thread. I realize he is a Horizon employee...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM
WhoDaMan

I have waited a long time still using the 10X, I think I will get the 11X
ORIGINAL: jlarson31

To the earlier comment about all the DSM2 stuff you currently have; there is 10 minute video on Horizon's site that does a pretty good job of explaining the system(s). If I understood it correctly, once you get a DSMX capable radio, you can still use the DSM2 Rx's you already have. So there is a degree of backwards compatibility with this new technology. To actually operate in DSMX, both the Tx and Rx need to be "X" models. If you look at the JR product pages, Tx's and Rx's coming in March are the new DSMX type product. Sounds like they just went ahead and pulled current inventory and are upgrading it on site. Should help get a few units out in the field faster.

Kind of glad this came about now, makes things easier for my next radio purchase. I have the original 72 Mhz 9303 with a spektrum 2.4 module in the back. Can't upgrade that model. Throw in the Duralite Li-Ion pack I'm running and I have about $1000 tied up in a radio that feature-wise is just shy of the 9503 at a $550ish price point. I wasn't going to put another dime in radio gear until JR released the next technology jump. Now I need to decide if a 12th channel is worth $750, or if I can handle looking down at Optimus Prime's head in my hands after I land. I'll admit, the 11X feels good in my big bear claws, but man it looks weird..
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I love my 11x...now to decide if im gonna do the dsm x jump now or wait a bit for others to prove it...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I love my 11x...now to decide if im gonna do the dsm x jump now or wait a bit for others to prove it...
DSM2 is yesterday's technology....I'm thinking 27 MHz AM Band....
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 PM
cavandish

So it is fair to assume that JR/Horizon are now confirming that there is an issue with DSM 2 ?
They must now have an moral, if not legal obligation to the people have purchased this equipment to offer some form of fair discount on replacement r/x s and free upgrades on the recently purchased high end gear ?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Two Spikes, Lick and Stick....Think about it, out of 80 channels...??? DUH...???
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: obiwan12

DSM, DSM2 technology was junk from day 1. It only took them 8 years to realize locking onto two specific channels was a bad idea and copying Futaba was a good idea. (Not saying JR is junk, but the theory behind the signal transmission was flawed from the beginning.)

Spoken like someone who has no idea..... Used it since the beginning and it is excellent. The number of flawless flights prove this

Dennis
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Perhaps he finds it neccesary because some people don't read his posts correctly, he did not say 2.4 was junk.

Mike
No he said DSM and DSM 2 is Junk that is just as stupid a question. I wish I had been the one to invent it as I would have been very rich at this point in time. Quite good to get rich from selling junk.

Dennis
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: cavandish

So it is fair to assume that JR/Horizon are now confirming that there is an issue with DSM 2 ?
They must now have an moral, if not legal obligation to the people have purchased this equipment to offer some form of fair discount on replacement r/x s and free upgrades on the recently purchased high end gear ?
No real issue at all...... Did you not read the info on the link on the first page......................... Do you or have you used DSM2 ? or are you just trolling
Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

So all compatible, receivers and TX's all works very well and all seems to be excellent. We should all be very happy that this excellent equipment is being improved as all things can be improoved.

Dennis
Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM
cavandish

I use and own a 9503 with 2 turbine models and various large scale planes,I have flown over 200 hours with DSM2
To date I have never had a problem with DSM2
Now I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM with the Horse sh*t that horizon have written on here http://www.horizonhobby.com/DSMX/
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE BIG PLUMS they have pulled dsm2 from the shelves, even you can work it out from here, they have clearly acknowledged an issue and yet have the neck to call 'fixing' your DSM2 to something that works 100 % of the time (MAYBE) as an "add on" and they even want to charge for it.

I have only read this bit(below) I cant stand to read any more !!!!! I wish that I bought Futaba in the first place, now i am the proud owner of 6 or 7 inferior dsm2 rx s and a 9503.
They are not junk, but certainly do have an issue !

DSMX builds upon the incredible DSM2 technology you have come to know and trust. After years of development and in the field use, DSMX is an evolution of DSM2 2.4 GHz technology, destined to deliver the most robust, reliable, and efficient level of RF link possible in the modeling world today.

DSMX is for those modelers who enjoy attending mega events where large numbers of 2.4 systems are on at once. Another great part about all of this is the forward/backward compatibility of DSMX to DSM2 is such that no current technology becomes orphaned with the release of todays or future DSM transmitter products.

It is a new, frequency agile evolution of Spektrum 2.4GHz technology that matches the consistently superior speed and data capacity of DSM2 with the most advanced frequency shifting algorithm to date.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
cavandish

double post
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DSM2 was a great improvement over my previous 35Mhz radio & I have never had any problems wth it. DSMX is just another step forward in the continuing advance in technology. I am sure in future, further advances will be made. This however, does not mean DSM2 has become unreliable overnight. I will continue to use my DSM2, until such time as I need a new radio. Problems such as attending meets with over a hundred 2.4 radios switched on at the same time, will not affect me. I doubt ther are that number of transmitters in the whole of Cyprus.
I am sure that if you had no problems with DSM2 up till now, continuing to use it because there is something newer, will not suddenly pose a problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: cavandish

I use and own a 9503 with 2 turbine models and various large scale planes,I have flown over 200 hours with DSM2
To date I have never had a problem with DSM2
Now I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM with the Horse sh*t that horizon have written on here http://www.horizonhobby.com/DSMX/
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE BIG PLUMS they have pulled dsm2 from the shelves, even you can work it out from here, they have clearly acknowledged an issue and yet have the neck to call 'fixing' your DSM2 to something that works 100 % of the time (MAYBE) as an ''add on'' and they even want to charge for it.

I have only read this bit(below) I cant stand to read any more !!!!! I wish that I bought Futaba in the first place, now i am the proud owner of 6 or 7 inferior dsm2 rx s and a 9503.
They are not junk, but certainly do have an issue !

DSMX builds upon the incredible DSM2 technology you have come to know and trust. After years of development and in the field use, DSMX is an evolution of DSM2 2.4 GHz technology, destined to deliver the most robust, reliable, and efficient level of RF link possible in the modeling world today.

DSMX is for those modelers who enjoy attending mega events where large numbers of 2.4 systems are on at once. Another great part about all of this is the forward/backward compatibility of DSMX to DSM2 is such that no current technology becomes orphaned with the release of todays or future DSM transmitter products.

It is a new, frequency agile evolution of Spektrum 2.4GHz technology that matches the consistently superior speed and data capacity of DSM2 with the most advanced frequency shifting algorithm to date.

So 200 hours ok and now you are concerned.................. Amazing......... I think you need to smell somthing

I see you are in New Zealand................... I dont think you will have a problem unless the sheep have taken up RC
Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Hey I hear Ford have just brought out a new model of one of there very popular cars that I have owned and driven with total success for 2 Years....................................

Now I am in a panic as there must be a huge flaw in the one I have got............................. What on earth shall I do
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 AM
marc s

Sell it, its a death trap don't you know

marcs
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: marc s

Sell it, its a death trap don't you know

marcs
Excellent plan.............. Mind you I hear there is an upgrade............. But If I get that they might bring out yet another model in a year or two.................. I can't cope.................. Do Futaba make cars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.