Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The most common problem with air systems in jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The most common problem with air systems in jets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default The most common problem with air systems in jets?

Im just curious what are or if there are any common failure points. I am thinking about converting my soon to be jet from air to electric gear system and just would like some thoughts. I have an EDF jet with electric retracts and I love them, the only problem would be converting my gear doors to electric but I would if the pros out weight the cons. I know the time for extending in a flame out or emergency can could be an issue. Just thoughts, no flames please this is a forum for discussion so lets keep it nice. Thanks up front
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The most common problem with air systems in jets?

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Im just curious what are or if there are any common failure points.

User error: failure to fill your airtanks.
User error: failure to annually oil your cylinder's O-rings and grease your brake valve.

If your air gear struts bind during deployment or stowing in the undercarriage, no harm to the system will be done and you can sometimes 'shake' it free during flight.

If your electric gear binds during the same scenario, I can only guess that it will drain your battery at a high current draw.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:03 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

user error is usually the culprit....if properly setup, works every time....a good quality manufacturer is also a must.....you get what u pay for....air is very reliable properly done....
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
FenderBean

Cool how often should one oil/replace the O rings, I'm pretty anal so knowing me I would fill the air tank every time.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Another thing not touched on yet is when your building/rigging/maintaining your air system NEVER us a x-acto knife to cut the air tubing from your T's and other fittings. The knife will score the T or other fittings and a leak will definitely be present there. A few of these in your jet and you'll be in trouble. Best way I've found to remove the airline is to use a side cutter or Dykes and pinch it from the side and remove a little of the airline and then pull it off. How ever you do it don't damage the fittings and you'll be golden. I guess this falls under user error which is what causes most problems in anything in life. LOL!

Tim
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I second Tim's comments about not using a knife to remove old air line. My preferred way is to "score" the tubing with a hot soldering iron pointed tip, then the line practically falls off and no scratch marks on the nipples. Scratches will leak.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
FenderBean

yeah i built a combat models f-16 and ran into this with the plastic T fittings. I didnt know any better and used a ex-acto knife and it left a little score in the T fitting which allowed the leak. I plan on using metal fittings and will not do that again.
Do they make any kind of tool that gives a nice clean cut? I have seen a few for Festo line cutting would they work on air lines?
If I went Air I wanted to get an all in one system that controls it all so I dont have to do servos and control valve. This would add extra weight and also more room for error. Are these devices reliable? I would guess so but will ask anyway.
Thanks guys this is good stuff some people never learn the basics or learn to crawl before they run. I have been flying for 20 years with helicopters and Giant scale 3D plane and it still amazes me how many people dont take the time to learn how to build and setup there own aircraft.
oh yeah i do you guys use the small screw on fittings for your air lines? i know with robart stuff they they give you small threaded nuts to wo put on over the air line once its installed on the fitting. I always wondered about these and thought they could possible disfigure the line or damage it and cause a leak.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

i know with robart stuff they they give you small threaded nuts to wo put on over the air line once its installed on the fitting.
No, never use them, never had a line fall off, don't know anyone that uses them. - John.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

a possible problem is trunnion blocks getting stuck in lock position ... if necessary, make sure you file the frames / blocks so they can't get stuck locked .. this depends on retract design / geometry often times ...

~V~
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

- make sure the mounting frames for the retracts are very flat else you can flex the retract when you tighten the mounting bolts down. This can cause problems that are tricky to isolate and might only happen in the air.

- don't use a grease or any liquid for lubrication of the retract mechanism, it attract grit and the resulting gritty paste will wipe out the retract over time.

- I cut all my lines with a special cutter I got from Todd, it seems to help.

- I have used those robart knurled things once or twice, hard to tell if they help or not. I don't use them or safety wire.

- good airline is_critical.....call UP and ask them about airline, they will tell you the straight scoop. I love their airline and use it exclusively.

- Maybe those all in one control unit brick things are bulletproof now (they sure weren't in the beginning and crazy expensive)), I never saw the need for them I use the UP valves (and he give free repairs and crash dmage for life so you really only need to buy a couple for your entire hobby career). I use his for sequencing with doors as well. I cannot imagine those big brick controllers are lighter than a valve and a mini servo, but who knows.

- Don't use a micro servo on the valve, use a nice mini with metal gears if you are going to actuate the valve manually. this can strip nylon gears. Make sure and take that into account, you usually want to be able to actuate the gear with the radio off, but this has become less of an issue with the spread spectrum radios.

- I use the rare earth magnets now on basically every gear door. They are great.

BTW why in the world are you worried about getting flamed for this question??
Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
FenderBean

What brand airline is "UP"?
Seems lately being excited and asking some basic questions about different products and thing makes some people mad. I was asking around trying to do my home work on a new area for me and all seem to get is a lot angry birds telling me to use the search function(which is worthless) and stuff like that. Still have had some great responses from people eager to help. Some people dont understand that not everyone can travel all over the country to events and u may be the only person in your area who is trying jets. Heck even if you do have someone in your area not everyone likes to help other people. I use forums for what they are for, learning ,asking questions and just making meaning full discussion topics.
ORIGINAL: mr_matt

- make sure the mounting frames for the retracts are very flat else you can flex the retract when you tighten the mounting bolts down. This can cause problems that are tricky to isolate and might only happen in the air.

- don't use a grease or any liquid for lubrication of the retract mechanism, it attract grit and the resulting gritty paste will wipe out the retract over time.

- I cut all my lines with a special cutter I got from Todd, it seems to help.

- I have used those robart knurled things once or twice, hard to tell if they help or not. I don't use them or safety wire.

- good airline is_critical.....call UP and ask them about airline, they will tell you the straight scoop. I love their airline and use it exclusively.

- Maybe those all in one control unit brick things are bulletproof now (they sure weren't in the beginning and crazy expensive)), I never saw the need for them I use the UP valves (and he give free repairs and crash dmage for life so you really only need to buy a couple for your entire hobby career). I use his for sequencing with doors as well. I cannot imagine those big brick controllers are lighter than a valve and a mini servo, but who knows.

- Don't use a micro servo on the valve, use a nice mini with metal gears if you are going to actuate the valve manually. this can strip nylon gears. Make sure and take that into account, you usually want to be able to actuate the gear with the radio off, but this has become less of an issue with the spread spectrum radios.

- I use the rare earth magnets now on basically every gear door. They are great.

BTW why in the world are you worried about getting flamed for this question??
Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM
mr_matt

Ultra Precision

http://www.up-1.com/products.html

If you want to search this forum try goole search it is much better...something like:

ultra precision site:rcuniverse.com
Old 04-23-2011, 01:14 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Error: bad design!

Incorrect o-ring selection, incorrect cylinder sizing, incorrect cylinder placement, inappropriate locking mechanism, list goes on and on.
A properly lubricated oring should last 30 years.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM
mr_matt

I agree on good retracts I have never really seen leaks in the cylinder. I did once on a BVM retract (RARE) and they fixed it, traced it to an out of round cylinder. My guess is that is most of the problem with these poor cylinders coming out on arfs, they are boring the cylinders out of round.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
FenderBean

Okay lube your O rings, deff added that one to the check list
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt
Are those to help the door remain closed in flight?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
FenderBean

yeah for the doors being closed i guess the wind causes vibration which over time could damage the gear door cylinders
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

yeah for the doors being closed i guess the wind causes vibration which over time could damage the gear door cylinders

OK I can see some of what you were talking about earlier with the flaming...

If there are vibrating gear door cylinder failures I have not heard of it!

For me, the magnets are just there to keep the doors shut. I first used them years ago on a bobcat for the nosegear doors.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM
FenderBean

I was kind of worried that they could cause I bind issue, but if you off set them a little no worries.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 AM
davo580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always use metal fittings so all that i do when having to remove air tubing is use a cigarette lighter and warm up the tubing at the fitting to soften it
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
FenderBean

good idea