Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Rcmodlercalifornia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Report filed against you for personal attacks on me for my politely stated opinion
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rcmodlercalifornia is diverting attention away from FEJ and trying to cause this thread to spiral. rcmodlercalifornia, you and your cronies are not clever.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcmodlercalifornia

Report filed against you for personal attacks on me for my politely stated opinion
hahah, what personal attacks? Calling you a troll which you obviously are?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

Yes the x-ray pictures showed honeycomb and sparse at best for the stabs. This is wrong and not correct use of this material. This is from an engineers point of view.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Are there any proven ways other FEJ (or anyone model makers) jets can test for flutter?

I think Tam mentioned up thread that one could use an EDF to put around 180mph of air over surfaces to see how they react...

Anyone know of any other way?

Thx in advance for any input

regards
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dubd

rcmodlercalifornia is diverting attention away from FEJ and trying to cause this thread to spiral. rcmodlercalifornia, you and your cronies are not clever.
Agreed, nobody respond to him, keep this thread on topic. I believe we were discussing boycotts for safety purposes...

Shaz
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I know of one guy who was complaining that they hated to see all of these negative comments on the FEJ F-18 because the value of his would drop. I can imagine that anyone trying to sell one right now would have a hard time. I remember seeing David Shulam's up for sale on RCU and thinking,, wow he's really dumping that jet for that price. I wonder what he saw in it to make him run?

Heck even the Skymaster stuff has to be given away. The large skymaster F-4 is a Great jet. I can't get 1/2 what I originally paid for it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you for real, or just another a-hole that supports FEJ in disguise???
Do you work in Disneyland.????

ENT
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

The x-ray pictures of the stabs/elevators shoe the use of honeycomb. It is too sparse and not the correct application for this material. It will not take the torsional loads and will fail over time. This is based on an engineers perspective.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: drdoom

I know of one guy who was complaining that they hated to see all of these negative comments on the FEJ F-18 because the value of his would drop. I can imagine that anyone trying to sell one right now would have a hard time. I remember seeing David Shulam's up for sale on RCU and thinking,, wow he's really dumping that jet for that price. I wonder what he saw in it to make him run?

Heck even the Skymaster stuff has to be given away. The large skymaster F-4 is a Great jet. I can't get 1/2 what I originally paid for it.
Send me pics, I love that jet!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are ways to test models for flutter but honestly the only way our industry can afford to do it is in flight. Just pushing air over it real fast doesn't do much at all as the aircraft is not loaded in flight. You either need a wind tunnel or need to fly the model in a controlled environment where if it fails no one gets hurt.

At Horizon we dive test models many time to try and fold wings, tails, etc. This is a very basic way of doing it which on occassion has shown us failures we were sure would be fine. Yep you loose a model and the equipment but it is what is required. I do know back many years ago the boys at BVM dive tested the snot out of the first F-16 models trying to get the full flying stab system to work in that model. From my mermory I believe it cost them a model or two before they got it right. We never had an issue once they were on the market as it had been proven in flight test. A very responsible way to do business.

This is the one place where I feel the Jet ARF manunfacturers could do a much better job in the development stage of their designs.

As for the "rcmodelercalifornia" guy, let him go. He is nothing more than a troll who is looking for noteriety.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Reinol
My Feedback: (22)

This for me is the straw that has broken the Camels back. I thinks every single poster here is missing the issue. The fact of the matter is that this small segment of the hobby is clearly not safe at all. I will be sending this link along with links to lots of other turbine crashes to the FAA and request that they address this danger in their upcoming rule making process.
When I look at YouTube, I see many dangerous turbine crashes with all brands including BVM and skymaster flown by competent pilots. These were turbine waiver pilots, flying under guidelines from AMA, and they still crashed due to electronic failure, structural failure, or ''unknown''. This is just not safe in every way shape or form, and this small segment puts our whole hobby at risk - including electrics.
AMA has no way to address these safety issues, as is evidenced by this and many other crashes. In this case it was a professional build flown by a competent turbine waiver pilot.
I have an 8 year old little boy, and at our field one of these flying bombs crashed due to unknown issues. It came apart in flight and crashed away from the spectator area by luck...had it gone the other way it could have killed my little boy.
I urge you all to look inside yourselves and do the right thing. No matter how good a pilot you are, or how good a brand you buy, you can still crash and end up killing spectators...including kids, like my little boy. For the sake of 95%+ of the people and kids in this hobby, ground your turbine jets and fly something safer....it is just a matter of time till your activities kill innocent people and ruin this hobby for us all.
I am sorry if I have offended but this is my very strong opinion based on safety that I bet is shared by the majority of aero molders. In the spirit of fairness, I will also be copying my FAA complaint to the AMA.

Rcmodlercalifornia,

You are entitled to your opinion but please do not state your opinion as facts.
Turbines are not the cause of these accidents, as you said yourself "and they still crashed due to electronic failure, structural failure, or ''unknown''.". I have been flying RC for over 30 years now. I am one of the pioneers in the commercially available turbines for our hobby. In all that time I have not heard of a single death caused by a turbine powered aircraft here in the states. I have heard of several deaths and numerous accidents caused by propeller airplanes. From the beginning we have policed ourselves well.
You have alot more chances of getting hurt by a prop plane than a turbine powered one because we do police ourselves properly and we value our hobby. In fact this thread was opened just for that reason - a manufacturer has put out a product that is defective and dangerous!!!!!

Please get your facts straight.

Also be man enough to post your full name.

Mine is Reinol A. Gonzalez, DMD, my phone number is 954-258-3902, and I live in Davie, Florida

Call me anytime.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM
stevegauth30

I am no expert, but I am really sorry for the loss.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think one of the most telling comments in this entire discussion is Dantley asking James directly, before his jet crashed, if he should change the way his elevators were done. The owner of the company said no, who else should Dantley trust? FEJ deserves any negative publicity it gets. Here you have a modeler proactively seeking guidance from the manufacturer and all he gets for his efforts is a $20K smoking hole in the ground.

I took the liberty to tweak the avatar you guys created.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Off Topic, but I think that this is where we are all headed.

Missouri senator says ‘food Nazis’ block chili suppers

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/18...#storylink=cpy

I'm not taking sides here I do have a 1/7 scale FEJ f-16. I also believe that if we can't take care of these problems by our-self, Maybe quietly, We will have the US Senate doing it for us. You know, Background checks to purchase turbine, Big brother is already on the war path..
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Rcmodlercalifornia

I have been flying for 3 years at my field and out of all the crashes 95% have been heli and foamie jets and the 2 foamie jets started a fire.  I disagree that turbines are not safe.  I have a 9 year old and i'm more worried about a foamie jet with 10 high voltage batteries going over 200mph.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

I have been following this thread since it's inception. This is my first post on this thread.

First, to Dubd, I am very sorry for the loss of your F14. Affluent or not, this was a devastating crash on many levels. Sincere apologies.

I would just like to point out that the later posts on this thread and others show that the jet community is very responsible and does a great job of "self policing", if you will. The type of problem that Dubd experienced could have happened in any discipline of the RC hobby. Truthfully, with turbine aircraft, you see less dangerous activities than with the props. Not to sound like an elitist but, I have seen more guys hit by the spinning prop of a 50cc airplane than by any jet. I have seen much more taxiing behind the flight stations, flying behind the flight line and disregard of common sense and a lack of courtesy by members of other types of RC. Helis (which I fly also) come to mind.

So, kudos to the jet community for acting in a responsible fashion in light of the current situation. I know it seems like Andy, David Searles and others seem to have an agenda but honestly, all FEJ needed to say was "we are sorry for your loss, we will investigate this incident and make any changes as required. We will communicate with Dubd directly". Andy and David waited until this thread was going for days before taking the current direction.

Jim
Farview RC Flyers
www.farviewflyers.com
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

This for me is the straw that has broken the Camels back. I thinks every single poster here is missing the issue. The fact of the matter is that this small segment of the hobby is clearly not safe at all. I will be sending this link along with links to lots of other turbine crashes to the FAA and request that they address this danger in their upcoming rule making process.
When I look at YouTube, I see many dangerous turbine crashes with all brands including BVM and skymaster flown by competent pilots. These were turbine waiver pilots, flying under guidelines from AMA, and they still crashed due to electronic failure, structural failure, or ''unknown''. This is just not safe in every way shape or form, and this small segment puts our whole hobby at risk - including electrics.
AMA has no way to address these safety issues, as is evidenced by this and many other crashes. In this case it was a professional build flown by a competent turbine waiver pilot.
I have an 8 year old little boy, and at our field one of these flying bombs crashed due to unknown issues. It came apart in flight and crashed away from the spectator area by luck...had it gone the other way it could have killed my little boy.
I urge you all to look inside yourselves and do the right thing. No matter how good a pilot you are, or how good a brand you buy, you can still crash and end up killing spectators...including kids, like my little boy. For the sake of 95%+ of the people and kids in this hobby, ground your turbine jets and fly something safer....it is just a matter of time till your activities kill innocent people and ruin this hobby for us all.
I am sorry if I have offended but this is my very strong opinion based on safety that I bet is shared by the majority of aero molders. In the spirit of fairness, I will also be copying my FAA complaint to the AMA.
The only r/c airplane that has killed people in the USA has been a prop powered airplane. Obviously "we" are safer. Beat it.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM
rjgonzalez

Andy...no I do not fly turbine jets...I do not think they are safe and put the whole hobby at risk. I do fly small foam edfs though and some built up warbirds
You are so ignorant.... you are going to attempt to ruin a hobby that so many of us enjoy and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. do you have any idea what those little foamy edf batteries are capable of? ask dantley, if im not mistaken he lost his house cause of one...... go stay in your basement, with the doors locked cause anything can happen! protect yourself just like the rest of us do but dont drag us down cause of your ignorance...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

There are ways to test models for flutter but honestly the only way our industry can afford to do it is in flight. Just pushing air over it real fast doesn't do much at all as the aircraft is not loaded in flight. You either need a wind tunnel or need to fly the model in a controlled environment where if it fails no one gets hurt.

At Horizon we dive test models many time to try and fold wings, tails, etc. This is a very basic way of doing it which on occassion has shown us failures we were sure would be fine. Yep you loose a model and the equipment but it is what is required. I do know back many years ago the boys at BVM dive tested the snot out of the first F-16 models trying to get the full flying stab system to work in that model. From my mermory I believe it cost them a model or two before they got it right. We never had an issue once they were on the market as it had been proven in flight test. A very responsible way to do business.

This is the one place where I feel the Jet ARF manunfacturers could do a much better job in the development stage of their designs.

As for the ''rcmodelercalifornia'' guy, let him go. He is nothing more than a troll who is looking for noteriety.
I think you hit the nail on the head, John. The real solution to this is more manufacturer testing. When I see Anton at Skymaster testing the hell out of his airplanes, I know the end product is going to be something reasonably safe. His test flying of his F-14 is a perfect example. I've seen videos of his flying with wings forward, landing with the wings swept back (in case the sweep system fails), and even flying with an asymmetric sweep condition, all to ensure the consumer gets a safe, flyable aircraft. When BVM releases an airplane, you KNOW they've beaten the hell out of it to ensure it's up to Bob's standards of quality and engineering. You KNOW if you follow his instructions to the letter, you're going to wind up with a safe, flyable, enjoyable aircraft.

How many times do we have to hear about FEJ releasing products they've clearly never even flown?

In some way, we, the R/C modeling community are to blame for this, because instead of building airplanes ourselves, we buy them from overseas, because their labor costs are so low that their pricing makes it too hard to resist. At least when I build something from BVM, or Yellow, or Phillip Avonds, or whomever, I know the end quality of the aircraft because I DID THE WORK on it. If it crashes, I have nobody to blame but myself.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

The only r/c airplane that has killed people in the USA has been a prop powered airplane. Obviously ''we'' are safer. Beat it.
And a helicopter as well. This is a case where perception doesn't really reflect reality.

Seriously though, this rcmodlercalifornia guy is nothing but a troll. Ignore him and he'll go away.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I look at YouTube, I see many dangerous turbine crashes with all brands including BVM and skymaster flown by competent pilots. These were turbine waiver pilots, flying under guidelines from AMA, and they still crashed due to electronic failure, structural failure, or "unknown". This is just not safe in every way shape or form, and this small segment puts our whole hobby at risk - including electrics.
You are right..I'm also joining you by sending a letter to Faa & AMA .. to band these electric plane batteries in fear of people using them in future booming
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rjgonzalez

Andy...no I do not fly turbine jets...I do not think they are safe and put the whole hobby at risk. I do fly small foam edfs though and some built up warbirds
You are so ignorant.... you are going to attempt to ruin a hobby that so many of us enjoy and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. do you have any idea what those little foamy edf batteries are capable of? ask dantley, if im not mistaken he lost his house cause of one...... go stay in your basement, with the doors locked cause anything can happen! protect yourself just like the rest of us do but dont drag us down cause of your ignorance...

I think this guy is actually "Mr. Straw Hat" coming back after a long quiet hiatus to get his revenge on all of us Jet guys!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM
stevekott

Dantly I am truly sorry for your loss, we have all been there brother.

We are all interested in leaning on these forums on how to prevent loss and enjoy our hobby more.

But comon guys .. we do this for FUN !! We all know the risks everytime we push forward on the throttle. It looks like this sad crash was in all likelihood due to the improper use of a honeycomb composite. I sincerely doubt FEJ would have ever intentionally built something they knew might fail. We push our models to the limits and always try new things, honeycomb materials is one of them.

Everybody can preach about safety and all and of course it's important. But be realistic. The chances of serious injury are much higher driving to the field in a car getting T-Boned in an intersection.

And we can all slam Chinese manufacturers but look around. How many US manufacturers are left? Always blaming the manufacturer and wanting to litigate against them is one of the things that has killed USA manufacturing.

I think the right thing for FEJ to do is learn from this. Understand the limitations of some materials and improve their future products so it doesn't happen again. And Dantly they should say to you, thank you for bringing this to their attention, express some sorrow for your loss and make you a killer deal on any future purchases.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: stevekott
I think the right thing for FEJ to do is learn from this. Understand the limitations of some materials and improve their future products so it doesn't happen again. And Dantly they should say to you, thank you for bringing this to their attention, express some sorrow for your loss and make you a killer deal on any future purchases.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve
Thanks, Steve. FEJ hasn't done anything that you mentioned. They just ignore my emails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.