Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Ultra Lightning Red Bull Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Ultra Lightning Red Bull Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Gaaaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking up the settings again, i realise the settings i use were from Geoff White, not Dave Wilshere...sorry..sooo many people helped
You can find them in the thread "Classic vs Ultra Lightning" here on RCuniverse http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...lightning.html

I only used the high rate for the elevator, no flight modes, for the flaps i used a timer (speed 15s) to go from 0 to maximum (45°) deflection to prevent the plane from ballooning up.

Geoff's settings:

I have done some more flying with my UL and I am very happy with the setup so as promised here is how mine is setup. The radio is a 14Mz so if you are using JR then swap the expo settings.

CG

With UAT full and empty tanks. I am balancing exactly on the middle of the wing tube, with the wings off.

Ailerons

I am using 29mm down, 27mm up with -45% expo. measurements are taken at the aileron root (i.e from the centre of the flap when its up) to the centre of the aileron.

Flap

Take off flap is 21mm, landing flap is 90mm, Measurements are taken from the middle of the outboard end of the flap to the middle of the inboard end of the aileron(at neutral of course)

Rudder

55mm each way with -40% expo

Elevator

I have left this last as this is a bit more complicated. Firstly, the neutral point is not with the elevator in line with the tailplane trailing edge. It is about 2 mm up at the outboard end of the elevator. The first photo is my elevator at neutral.

Now with takeoff flap on(21mm as explained above). The elevator needs to go to almost inline with the trailing edge. See second photo. This equates to about 2-3 mm down from the neutral point, measured at the elevator root.

With landing flap(90mm as explained above). The elevator needs to go down another 5 mm, making a total of 7mm. If you now look at the elevator compared to the trailing edge of the tailplane you can see its about 1.5mm/2mm below. See photo 3 for this.

To confirm if you look at photo 4 you can see the pencil line where the neutral point is and the new neutral point with full flap in.

These settings are all with the undercarriage down. Using flight modes I have checked the trim with take off and landing flap but with the undercarriage up. In both cases the amount of down elevator is fractionally less.

As you can see its a significant trim change. If you put the flap out going too fast it does balloon slightly but as soon as the speed is bled off it flies straight and level and it is a real *****cat to land.

As far as the movement goes. Well I have tried three settings switchable on rates

29mm up, 30mm down -45% expo
26mm up, 27mm down -37% expo
24mm up, 25mm down -25% expo

On the first few flights I found the low rate suited me but now I swapped to the high rate as I have moved the CG forward a fraction(as per above measurement).

I hadn't added any mixing for knife edge as there is virtually no roll or pitch coupling.

Geoff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04376.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	2132046  

Last edited by Gaaaz; 11-23-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Geoff White

Gaaz,
Nice to hear that the settings I posted are working for you. I flew my UL at a french meet earlier this year and was approached by a chap as he couldnt get his UL to fly very comfortably. I pointed him at the thread containing my setup and thought nothing more. At JP the chap called Daniel, told me that once he changed the setup, it was like another plane and is really pleased with it. Its stories like this that make the information sharing worthwhile.

I am up 260 flights on mine and I am still on the original settings, apart from a reduction in expo, as I am using a demon cortex gyro in it.

Geoff.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Gaaaz

Yes Geoff, having settings from an experienced guy, with the same plane, makes a maiden so much easy. It makes one so much confident to fly!
Thanks again for posting them, i'm sure a lot of people found them useful.
I have now 6 flights on it and i'm still ok with the settings.
The UL does not feel like it needs a Gyro. But i've never flown a jet with a gyro...do you feel the difference? I'm thinking a scale jet benefits from a gyro, but a sport jet should fly ok without...and what about the servo's, i can imagine it's much more stressful and they wear out faster...

Some pictures from last weekend, racing a clubmate's HotSpot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	2135904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	2135905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.JPG
Views:	460