Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat 140RX experiences/feedback

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat 140RX experiences/feedback

Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat 140RX experiences/feedback

I have the opportunity to purchase my first turbine - a NIB JetCat 140RX that has been sitting on the shelf for three years so it's brand new but out of warranty. I would be buying it from a good and trusted friend so no concerns there.

Especially when buying from a friend I want to make sure to be fully aware of any issues or concerns relative to the engine itself so once I buy it, if any issues do come up that's on me. Is there anything to be concerned about with this engine or does this engine have a solid and reliable track record?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine worked like a champ, ... right up until I drove it into the ground at 175+ mph. Good solid turbine! Might want to check for any ECU updates. But, I doubt that any would be necessary.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless its a crazy good deal I would not get a turbine that's out of warranty. If you do happen to purchase it I would send it in for service just to make sure everything is good. If it has a bearing issue from sitting so long it would get real expensive real fast if it takes out the compressor or turbine blades.

Originally Posted by DMichael
I have the opportunity to purchase my first turbine - a NIB JetCat 140RX that has been sitting on the shelf for three years so it's brand new but out of warranty. I would be buying it from a good and trusted friend so no concerns there.

Especially when buying from a friend I want to make sure to be fully aware of any issues or concerns relative to the engine itself so once I buy it, if any issues do come up that's on me. Is there anything to be concerned about with this engine or does this engine have a solid and reliable track record?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Unless its a crazy good deal I would not get a turbine that's out of warranty. If you do happen to purchase it I would send it in for service just to make sure everything is good. If it has a bearing issue from sitting so long it would get real expensive real fast if it takes out the compressor or turbine blades.

+ 1
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those turbines had major growing pains. I wouldn't buy it unless it was updated. You have to send pump, ECU and turbine in for software updates. Two of my buddies had multiple flame-outs because of the RX. One of them pretty much ruined an airframe because of it, if it wasn't a CARF flash (tank) it would have been gone. Get the serial number and call dreamworks to see if they will update it for you.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

There have been major changes to the firmware on that turbine. I had a flameout on a Bvm F4 (glides like a wiffle ball) as a result. If you buy it it, the pump and the Ecu have to go back for a resquirt. The changes I'm aware of handle how the unit deals with a static discharge. Before it would shut down. Now it goes into a known power (roughly 50% power) mode until it can reboot

Dave
Old 10-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

If you have 7.8 firmware on the pump and front board your good. Its was not so much a static issue, but lost packets of info in the buss system would very randomly cause a shut down from the ECU not seeing the pump. That being said that was an issue 3 or more years ago. 7.8 is some of the latest. It never hurts to send it in and get it updated as JC is constantly improving the RX and RXI firmware and software. Its not just the ECU and pump, the front board on the motor needs flashing as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The early 140 RX's had flameout issues that Jetcat fixed after a while. So your old new engine would have to go to Jetcat for updates / changes.

Behzad
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM
josecilurzo

After 9 hs run time, the engine is very smooth, reliable, flawless, 35,5 pounds of thrust on bench, great engine.( P140RX ).
we have an P80SE that have 150 hs run time, after 2 sets o bearings changed, never stop.

jose
Old 10-07-2016, 12:53 PM
stevekott

I have probably 50+ flights on mine, never a hiccup. Good throttle response. I would recommend.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:07 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
why would sitting cause a bearing issue? if it's new never run the bearings should be fine. they are greased at the build time.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't touch a jetcat engine out of warranty. My p100 had a compressor failure 10 months out of warranty with a mere 15 hrs on the clock. Jetcat wanted the cost of a second hand engine to rebuild the engine.(approximately 1000 euros so 1200 usd)
I'm not sure if a warranty would be transferable to a new owner anyway, something I'd want to check, and I'd read the fine print of what warranty would be provided if you do get a bearing change or a service.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 AM
warbird_1

that's one thing about jetcat that is disappointing .. no life time warranty only 3 year . for guys like me that only fly in the summer , it's not a good deal .
Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

So you only buy cars with a life time warrantee, boilers, electrical goods...
3 years for something used and abused in an environment not controlled by the manufacturer is very generous. Near 4 years Frank, get real.

i know manufacturers who have to offer something longer, to get sales, do. Luckily I have dealt with JetCat for over 17 years and they are super fair and realistic...
The following users liked this post:
David J Ruskin (08-31-2022)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
So you only buy cars with a life time warrantee, boilers, electrical goods...
3 years for something used and abused in an environment not controlled by the manufacturer is very generous. Near 4 years Frank, get real.

i know manufacturers who have to offer something longer, to get sales, do. Luckily I have dealt with JetCat for over 17 years and they are super fair and realistic...
who's frank?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Dave Wilshere

Birdseed
Old 01-21-2017, 02:58 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

I will "Get real" Dave, I won't be buying any more of their products, and will tell anybody who asks about my experience with them.
Three jetcat engines bought from you all of which have had issues.

1) p20 released to the market but had to be returned to the factory for a ecu software fix before I'd even run it.
2) p100 returned as you told me they had two turbine wheel castings and one of them had a flaw
3) ECU component failed on one of my p100's and melted the ECU
4) the other p100 had the catastrophic compressor failure.

Not a great track record, and you've never hesitated to drop carrying certain manufacturers products due to their poor service.

Last edited by bidrseed2; 01-22-2017 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Clarity of final paragraph
Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
I will "Get real" Dave, I won't be buying any more of their products, and will tell anybody who asks about my experience with them.
Three jetcat engines bought from you all of which have had issues.

1) p20 released to the market but had to be returned to the factory for a ecu software fix before I'd even run it.
2) p100 returned as you told me they had two turbine wheel castings and one of them had a flaw
3) ECU component failed on one of my p100's and melted the ECU
4) the other p100 had the catastrophic compressor failure.

Not a great track record, and you've been quicker to drop carrying certain manufacturers products due to your bad service than I ever would have been.
yea and you wonder why no life time warranty . 3 years and it's not their problem anymore . i'm going over to kingtech or jet central. they at least have enough faith in their engines to stand behind them longer than three years. i bought a nib ,5 year old engine and before i even run it for the first time , i have to send it back to get updates done on it to the tune of 100.00 shipping and run time. anyone want to buy a NIB140RX 1,900 no GSU
Old 01-21-2017, 03:19 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
I wouldn't touch a jetcat engine out of warranty. My p100 had a compressor failure 10 months out of warranty with a mere 15 hrs on the clock. Jetcat wanted the cost of a second hand engine to rebuild the engine.(approximately 1000 euros so 1200 usd)
I'm not sure if a warranty would be transferable to a new owner anyway, something I'd want to check, and I'd read the fine print of what warranty would be provided if you do get a bearing change or a service.
yes the warranty does transfer over regardless who owns it. at least that's what jetcat told me a few years ago when i bought a used p-80SE . but that's in the states. i don't know about Europe.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:29 PM
dubd

I've had 3 P140RX engines and they were flawless. My 180RX on the other hand was a nightmare.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:12 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by dubd
I've had 3 P140RX engines and they were flawless. My 180RX on the other hand was a nightmare.
are you running the latest firmware/software? on the 140's
Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by warbird_1
are you running the latest firmware/software? on the 140's
I no longer have the engines. I bought them shortly after the 140rx was released and never had the firmware updated.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a buddy loose TWO Skymaster A-10s. He had multiple flameouts with the P140RX, & kept sending them back to JC. He said what finally rectified his issues was updating the main control cord that runs between the ECU & Turbine can. I think he still flies that turbine today. As far as your purchase.. I probably wouldn't buy it for my first turbine when I'm not used to what's normal & what's weird.
my 2 cents
P.S. What airframe is it for? I myself (with my experience & if it's a good deal) would chance it in a Boomerang Elan, or other trainer type (easy deadstick) aircraft, but not in anything expensive that doesn't like to glide. The other issue is im betting you can get a new Kingtech for close to the NIB P-140 price. I'd do that

Last edited by BlueBus320; 01-22-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I had a buddy loose TWO Skymaster A-10s. He had multiple flameouts with the P140RX, & kept sending them back to JC. He said what finally rectified his issues was updating the main control cord that runs between the ECU & Turbine can. I think he still flies that turbine today. As far as your purchase.. I probably wouldn't buy it for my first turbine when I'm not used to what's normal & what's weird.
my 2 cents
P.S. What airframe is it for? I myself (with my experience & if it's a good deal) would chance it in a Boomerang Elan, or other trainer type (easy deadstick) aircraft, but not in anything expensive that doesn't like to glide. The other issue is im betting you can get a new Kingtech for close to the NIB P-140 price. I'd do that
i'd most likely go with jet central new king tech 140 is 2,290 and if i keep the jetcat it's going in a skymaster viperjet 2m . i've heard a lot of good and bad on the engine .but with out any warranty i'm concerned even though the jetcat is brand new. i talked to jetcat and i'll be sending it to them tomorrow to update the pump firmware,engine firmware and ECU firmware and software .it's free of charge but i'm going to let them fire up the engine so i'm looking at ,most likely 100. for shipping and test run.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:20 AM
markbrown65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 20, 140 , 180,s and have had minor issues, but I have also seen all brands having issues and for me its how the dealers react and Motors and Rotors / Jet Cat have been excellent.

Mark