Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have 2 PBR-26D connected to the Mercury SR2 .
I could update the 2 PBR-26D via the ATOM.
What about the Mercury SR2 . I don't think it can be done via the ATOM as well .
If not ,what should be the procedure ?
regards
Alain
Old 08-01-2023, 09:18 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

No, you need a USB cable and the terminal program.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:47 AM

Thank you
Would the Jeti USBa adapter do the job or do i need to buy the one from Powerbox?
Old 08-01-2023, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Jeti USB dongle to upgrade a Pioneer so I think it's pretty likely.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:31 PM

Thank you
what about Operating system, transceiver and Stickcontroller Update on the Settings/System/Software on the Atom transmitter? When I touch the boxes ,it is all about recovery ,not update to a new version.
BTW,what is a Transceiver ?
Old 08-02-2023, 02:51 AM

The only thing needing updated is OS and Application
If the application is 3.2 its already up to date they haven't updated the OS to my knowledge
Old 08-02-2023, 05:58 AM

Thank you
I tried to update the Mercury via the Jeti USB adapter but no way to select the 'Update' item from the small screen menu to take control from my PC.
Page 10 of the Mercury SR2 instruction manual , I can read Reset/update as an option but the screen does not show the Update option inside the Reset sub menu...
Old 08-02-2023, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I've just started experimenting with Attitude Assist on my AF MB-339, when I enable it on ailerons, the jet seems to roll slower at the same stick position as it would in Range A. Do others find this, and therefore reduce expo on Range B to compensate?
Old 08-03-2023, 03:14 AM

Yes I reduce expo a bit when using attitude assist mode
The following users liked this post:
Racer686 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VINOLAS
Thank you
I tried to update the Mercury via the Jeti USB adapter but no way to select the 'Update' item from the small screen menu to take control from my PC.
Page 10 of the Mercury SR2 instruction manual , I can read Reset/update as an option but the screen does not show the Update option inside the Reset sub menu...
Not sure what exactly you are doing but when I updated a Pioneer using a Jeti USB adapter I downloaded and installed PowerBox Terminal on my PC, connected the Jeti USB adapter to the PC and started Powerboxes terminal. If Powerboxes terminal detects the USB adapter you should be able to use it to update the firmware on the attached device.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:39 AM

thank you
I'll try again when back home
Old 08-20-2023, 07:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello All, can I please ask when using this PB radio, how it's best to view/diagnose flight telemetry data after you have completed numerous flights for the day, etc? Reference to a post# would be easiest, BRG, Frank
Springbok Flyer (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 03:28 AM

Best to review after a flight, when you turn everything off it resets the values unless you want to start pulling logs and looking at it on a laptop.

The cumulative stuff like capacity used don't reset until you reset them but LQ and that that to look at signal performance reset with each power cycle
Old 08-21-2023, 08:01 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

After the flight you're interested in or at the end of the day, just download all of the logs from the radio. Each flight will have it's own flight log for your viewing pleasure. You'll need a viewer, the PB terminal has a data log viewer built-in.
Springbok Flyer (08-21-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:16 PM

Hello Gents, thanks for your replies.

skunkwurk - perfect, just what I need. I'm assuming that PB Terminal is the only way that RSSI/LQ data from previous flights can be viewed and this cannot be done with the Core Transmitter screen?

When using PB Terminal is it simply a case of connecting a USB cable?

BRG, Frank
Old 08-22-2023, 01:09 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie
Hello Gents, thanks for your replies.

skunkwurk - perfect, just what I need. I'm assuming that PB Terminal is the only way that RSSI/LQ data from previous flights can be viewed and this cannot be done with the Core Transmitter screen?

When using PB Terminal is it simply a case of connecting a USB cable?

BRG, Frank
Yes, you can view LQ or RSSI for the duration of the flight by individual antenna. No, you do not need to have the USB connected. Once you have the files downloaded to your pc, you just access the file from the terminal, it will parse the data. You will need to select the data fields you would like to view.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 08-22-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Springbok Flyer (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (99)

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Just because I’ve never done this it would be good to see a video on it and how to interpret the data.
Springbok Flyer (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 03:05 PM

Hello All, just a quick update here, and a brief account.

I had flown on the weekend and noticed a glitch on the last flight of the day when using my PB radio. Having used numerous brand 2.4 GHz radios for close to 15 years, with a perfect record, I was curious as to why I had an "event" with this particular radio...

I could clearly see that after downloading and viewing the log file with PB Terminal, the RSSI of the receiver had briefly gone through the floor on the last flight...at the exact same epoc for the same flight, the telemetry for the RX battery voltage had briefly dropped to a very low level (caused, I'm guessing, by the very fast set of rolls I had just performed - high load on servos)

It's great to be in a position where you can rule out any theories, and immediately uncover the root cause of an issue - no doubt I will investigate further, I'm guessing a faulty battery...

The lesson here is that basic post-flight checks can only glean so much information, viewing detailed log files usually tells the remainder of the story.

BRG, Frank
The following 2 users liked this post by frankie:
AEROSHELDON (08-23-2023), Springbok Flyer (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie
Hello All, just a quick update here, and a brief account.

I had flown on the weekend and noticed a glitch on the last flight of the day when using my PB radio. Having used numerous brand 2.4 GHz radios for close to 15 years, with a perfect record, I was curious as to why I had an "event" with this particular radio...

I could clearly see that after downloading and viewing the log file with PB Terminal, the RSSI of the receiver had briefly gone through the floor on the last flight...at the exact same epoc for the same flight, the telemetry for the RX battery voltage had briefly dropped to a very low level (caused, I'm guessing, by the very fast set of rolls I had just performed - high load on servos)

It's great to be in a position where you can rule out any theories, and immediately uncover the root cause of an issue - no doubt I will investigate further, I'm guessing a faulty battery...

The lesson here is that basic post-flight checks can only glean so much information, viewing detailed log files usually tells the remainder of the story.

BRG, Frank

Go one better and utilise your telemetry and set RX batt warnings on your TX , no point waiting till after the event to find the sometimes fatal cause.
The following 2 users liked this post by raydar:
jcterrettaz (08-24-2023), Skunkwrks (09-03-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 12:47 PM

Good point my friend, problem is that I already had...

I'm guessing that I had set the voltage too low/wrong

anywhere in the manual recommending voltage thresholds for different battery cell counts/capacities/chemistry types?

Cheers

Last edited by frankie; 08-24-2023 at 12:58 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 08-29-2023, 02:32 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Delighted to see that Core is now a world masters winner!
Adrian Senn used Core in his de H Vampire T11 to win the 15 kg class.
Some of you guys may have seen the Lighter side of rc video comparing radios, in which he slams Core. He clearly does not understand RF propagation using patch antennae
Old 08-30-2023, 08:44 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
He clearly does not understand RF
Don't let factual engineering principles get in the way of more Youtube hits....

I gather he was trying to do the right thing, but just very poorly executed due to lack of knowledge in that area.

No different to when he unfortunately lost a jet recently by mounting a switch-mode lighting controller right up against a VSpeak module... Not something someone would do if you knew that all switch-mode devices produce electrical/RF noise (interference) when not well filtered.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:57 AM
My Feedback: (99)

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, noone knows everything and we all learn as we go. I feel he was trying to do the right thing as stated above.
Skunkwrks (09-03-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Well, noone knows everything and we all learn as we go. I feel he was trying to do the right thing as stated above.
No, he emphatically did NOT do the right thing.
If he was getting poor range results, ( despite the PB, justifiable, claims of extreme range) then the reasonable course of action would have been to discuss the issue with PB. That was not done.
He did not seem to notice that the Core uses patch antennae which have a very different radiation patterns to monopoles as used on other radios. Holding the Tx high above head was exactly NOT the right thing to do, it would point the radiation away from the rx. worsening the situation.
I discussed at length the use of patch antennae with Weatronics engineers who also advised me that even greater range could be obtained using patches as rx aerials. I trialled this using one patch and one whip on a Weatronics gizmo receiver. They were right, and I now use patches on three Hawks and aMig 29. which each together give a spherical reception pattern and perfect operation at any range and attitude. That was about 10 years ago and the newer PB receivers are such that patches are not required , or give any real benefit, so are not neccesary.
Talking to a RF professional it seems I have been using patches for years without knowing it, they are a key component on low range radalts ( in 4 Ghz band) a key component in autoland equipment which I have used on many occasions on various Boeings, 73, 75 and 76, in Cat 2 and 3 conditions !

There is a great deal of learned info on patch antennae on the internet, particularly on radiation patterns, PB use them on the Core and Atom for very good reasons !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-01-2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

such a delicate subject ,I dont even know why he made this video ...youtuber....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.