Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thinking of coming back!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thinking of coming back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by john agnew
Ok guys, thanks for all the useful input, decisions made so far;
Radio- existing 14MZ/ rx 14 channel 6014, Powerbox sensor switch with 2 x 2100Lipo, electric retracts ( can I run these off the 2x Lipos?)
Model IAD Model Designs Serpent - 77 inch span looks like Kingcat clone CNC built up kit with glassfibre fuselage ( I have plenty of time to build!) suitable 60 -100 turbine.
Turbine - waiting on input, liking the Kingtech 85 or Xicoy 70 - any views.

John
also consider swiwin. They make an 80 that weighs nothing, the most affordable of them all, and USA service, assuming you're in the USA...

Last edited by bodywerks; 05-13-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:22 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the swiwin looks like excellent value for money, unfortunately ( or fortunately !) I am in Scotland and I have a Kingtech dealer 10 miles away so it is a bit of a no brainer.
He also makes the kit I am going for, no postage costs!

John

Last edited by john agnew; 05-14-2020 at 01:24 AM. Reason: add information
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (05-18-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:35 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

During the current Covid-19 lockdown I have just about got through the list of jobs to do around the house and garden! I decided to have a look at RCU Jets and after 8 years flying nothing but electric ( mostly pattern) the bug may have bitten again.
The one thing that seems to have really moved on is the electronics / receiver setups. It looks like you need a degree in electrical engineering to set up a jet now. The only thing I have left from my jet days are my trusty Futaba 14MZ, no multi channel receivers etc.
What would be the simplest set-up for a basic sport jet like a Boomerang? |I am thinking about an Xicoy 70 or Kingtech 85 turbine, any views or experience of these would be welcome.

Make sure there are no Hangars around ;-)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:50 AM
john agnew

Sandor!

How are you? I see you are no longer supplying retracts etc .Doesn't seem like 13 years since the JWM in Northern Ireland. BTW I have never hit a hangar!!

John
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

The Serpant is limited in turbine size unless Ian has modified the design, last one I was involved with used a KT 85

John, I think he’s thinking of DG!
Old 05-15-2020, 01:56 AM
john agnew

Dave

Hope you and the family are all well. I think it was DG who hit the hangar, I wasn't there at the time but it is funny how it's always the bad things that happen that people remember and not the good! Yes, I don't think the Serpent is designed to take bigger turbines but a K85 will suit me fine, it will also fit smaller models if required. I would logically have gone for an Excaliber but I wanted a model to build rather than an ARTF to fill in some time. I will be in touch at the install stage to get some bits and pieces.

John
Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

John

All good thank you. Yep, that was 1997 and people still remember! 25 year rule is fast approaching so it will be ‘forgotten’ soon

When you are ready I can point you in the right direction for latest equipment choice and obviously Sensor switches are always on the shelf

Dave
Old 05-18-2020, 04:19 AM
USAF FLYBOY
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've almost finished a pilot rc viper and wanted to put dual sliding switches on receiver and turbine ecu and 1 on retracts. It seems as if nothing above a 5 amp rated switch is out there. Is anyone else using sliding switches still? I see mostly electronic switches out there, but wow. 90$ to open or close a circuit? I like the idea of being able to leave a lipo plugged in and the switch not using power since plugging and unplugging batts from receiver all day long gets old. Hopefully someone that's in the know can put me back on track. I never thought that a power switch would have presented itself as such a hard thing to find.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You might want to check out Andy's switches at ElectroDynamics. He has some high current switches.

Last edited by Len Todd; 05-18-2020 at 04:41 AM.
USAF FLYBOY (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 AM
USAF FLYBOY
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks a lot Len Todd. Exactly what I'm looking for. ...Google is not what it once was lol
Old 05-18-2020, 05:01 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

May look at Fromeco Wolverine and Badger switches as well!

USAF FLYBOY (05-18-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 AM
Fighting Falcon
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Still using my 18MZ since I bought it 8 years ago
The UNDEFEATED Champion! Best Transmitter Ever!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 AM
ZB

Originally Posted by Fighting Falcon
LOL, nope. Those days $150.00 china radio can do 20x more.
I wish they would get they act together, but one can dream.
What used to be staple in our store is now dust collector :-(

I have:
24 channels
stabilization, power distribution
wireless programming
hall sensor gimbals
wireless ON/OFF switches
Integrated gyros and accelerometers
100 different sensors, airpressure, GPS, fuel flow,
full 3rd part integration
receivers from 3-18 channels

Old 05-27-2020, 11:32 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by Fighting Falcon

yes so we have :
Turbine
rpm
Batt voltage
Pump voltage
temp
status
fuel consumption
temp

on the right :
2 x Li ons batt guards
percentage
Left
used
Current
corner :
Landing gear telemetric and doors status.
you where saying?

Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The Serpant is limited in turbine size unless Ian has modified the design, last one I was involved with used a KT 85

John, I think he’s thinking of DG!
Yes it WAS my BVM T 33 which hit the hangar, it seems to bother Kruze !
That T33 had spun at the slightest opportunity, a tendency that had been reduced by various aerodynamic tweeks. ( Upset ailerons, root spoilers etc.) The fatal flight was going to be its last, I,d had enough of the spinning, pity it ended that way !

Several guys told me THEIR T 33s had also tended to spin easily. The root cause ( excuse the pun) was eventually trace to the cusp on the wing root which BVM eventuallY removed as it was on their F80. That seemed to fix the problem.

The T33 spun off a lowish speed wing over, it happens as we have seen in the Kamloops Snowbird tragedy last week where a low speed wingover following an EFATO resulted in a spin, the jet crashing into a house, one pilot ejecting and surviving, the other so sadly died.

Anyway welcome back John, perhaps we may meet up again at a CJ.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:36 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Yes it WAS my BVM T 33 which hit the hangar, it seems to bother Kruze !
That T33 had spun at the slightest opportunity, a tendency that had been reduced by various aerodynamic tweeks. ( Upset ailerons, root spoilers etc.) The fatal flight was going to be its last, I,d had enough of the spinning, pity it ended that way !

Several guys told me THEIR T 33s had also tended to spin easily. The root cause ( excuse the pun) was eventually trace to the cusp on the wing root which BVM eventuallY removed as it was on their F80. That seemed to fix the problem.

The T33 spun off a lowish speed wing over, it happens as we have seen in the Kamloops Snowbird tragedy last week where a low speed wingover following an EFATO resulted in a spin, the jet crashing into a house, one pilot ejecting and surviving, the other so sadly died.

Anyway welcome back John, perhaps we may meet up again at a CJ.

its always good to see guys explain their crashes miniscule , and blame everything and everyone for their crash.. ;-)
welcome back! your going to use telemetric servos again on a none telemetric device?.

"Kruze" ;-)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 AM
john agnew

Sandor

Not a clue what you are talking about, telemetric sevos?? Double Dutch to me!

David

Nice to hear from you, Hope you are fully recovered after your spraygun incident. I see that you are still carrying a lonely English flag at the occasional JWM! Still swithering over turbine choice looking for a small case( 76 mm) with about 100N thrust, I hear you like your Xicoy or is it Jetmunts 100.

I found your T33 spin explanation entirely rational, it's a terrible thing we had to see it happen in reality with the Snowbirds. Well done you on surviving a long and distinguished full size aviation career.

Kindest regards

John
Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you John.

Yes my eye survived OK. with quick reactions from my wife !

I cannot speak too highly of my JetsMunt Merlin 100 a superb engine., now installed in my Rotkoski Sabre. That said my Xicoy 45 is a truly superb engine in every respect and after the midair with my Savex L39 its now installed in my Blanik. I can mostly strongly recommend both.

Yes the Snowbird tragedy revised a few memories. Shortly after my own ejection in training I lost a former colleague in a turnback accident which did not work. Low level ejections from a descending aircraft, so often fatal, as the video of the Snowbird crash so clearly shows. Tragic.

They were banned in the RAF when I was instructing on the Jet Provost and yet another turnback into a full PFL went wrong again for Red 3 at Valley resulting in another fatality.

Anyway, with my entire jet fleet, 13, serviceable, waiting for lockdown to end, including that original JWM Hawk,( plus another and a SkyGateHawk) its back to painting my latest, an Airworld Sea Fury, Moki 250 with Powerbox Core. Makes a change !

Good luck with whatever you choose.

best regards,

David.

PS You mentioned the JWM:

I have attended many, no thought of winning but to meet up with old friends, make new ones and to see and discuss the latest developments.

Two of the most enjoyable have been Meiringen in Switzerland and Leutkirch in Germany, fabulous events in wonderful locations, both driveable. and where I had great weeks.

I have not seen it mentioned on RCJ but the next is in a great location in Austria, where there are many attractions for families as well as model flying. Should make a great holiday !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 05-28-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 AM
john agnew

Yes David

I saw the video of you flying your Airworld Hawk at Meiringen in 2013, it was a stunning mountain background to fly against and the weather was a bit better than NI in 2007, can't believe it's 13 years ago!

John
Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
yes so we have :
Turbine
rpm
Batt voltage
Pump voltage
temp
status
fuel consumption
temp

on the right :
2 x Li ons batt guards
percentage
Left
used
Current
corner :
Landing gear telemetric and doors status.
you where saying?
lots of bells and whistles. I barely look at my JR12X. But whatever makes you happy.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
I'll bet jet setup had gotten easier, if anything. I'm new to jets but have been flying 30 years. There are definitely a lot of folks that like to complicate things in the jet world. I prefer to keep it simple. No gyro, no gps, no dual receiver, no 15 different battery packs to run 15 different things, no switches - and electric retracts. Electric retracts alone will cut complication down by 75%. I run three batteries - one for the turbine and two for the Spektrum powersafe receiver, and I tap power off one of them for retracts.
And I run swiwin, so just one fuel line and one cord to the turbine, and telemetry and auto restart to boot.
You might consider trying a gyro. I put one in my jet and was flying last weekend in some pretty turbulent air and was amazed how smooth and precise it was tracking. It made my plane without a gyro feel like something was wrong with it. I was pretty impressed!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:46 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

K85 is unlimited vertical on Iain and Kenny's Serpent, ideal turbine for one. Just picked a Serpent kit up at a price I could not walk by,when it is eventually built will get my k70 for power as I have it at hand.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 AM
john agnew

Did you buy the kit at £200 on the Facebook thread? If so good deal!

John
Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you buy the kit at £200 on the Facebook thread? If so good deal!

John
That's the one.