Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models BAE Hawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Phoenix Models BAE Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It’s in the box, never looked at it. But...if it’s the updated I will probably sell the kit for what I paid. I won’t jack up the price.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info. Didn't even realize the only plase the servo dimensions are listed is on the front page... I ordered some of these. Hope they are good! Just going to have to buy another plane to use the other standard servos on... shucks.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:16 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Elevator Trim

I have what I think is a lot of elevator trim on my Hawk for level flight. A 1/2" or more of up. Wondering what others have??
Old 07-20-2023, 06:45 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
I have what I think is a lot of elevator trim on my Hawk for level flight. A 1/2" or more of up. Wondering what others have??
I balanced mine per the provided gig, and I am dead on - no trim required.
HOWEVER: I have about 80% of available right trim in the ailerons do to some mis-alignment of the control surfaces pre-drilled holes.

I'd take a look at your CG. It sounds as if you are nose heavy (VERY easy to do in this plane!)

Greg
Old 07-21-2023, 04:49 AM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by jetflyr
I balanced mine per the provided gig, and I am dead on - no trim required.
HOWEVER: I have about 80% of available right trim in the ailerons do to some mis-alignment of the control surfaces pre-drilled holes.

I'd take a look at your CG. It sounds as if you are nose heavy (VERY easy to do in this plane!)

Greg
I did use the gig to balance. The balance was good I didn't have to add any weight. It flyes good it the air but seems very sensitive to pitch when landing. What I did find was there's 2 1/2° incidents different between the wing and horizontal stabilizer. The wing being negative and the horizontal stabilizer positive. I'm thinking this could be a problem?
Old 07-22-2023, 03:22 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I balance mine with the jig as well on my first one I had. Second one I used the zykoy CG machine both fly fine if it's a little pitchy on elevator on landing how much expo do you have on your elevator mine was a little pitchy and I had 25% expo a reduced it down to 10% and that took care of the pitchiness remember the hawk likes to land a little flatter than other Jets
The following users liked this post:
rjbob (04-14-2024)
Old 07-22-2023, 06:01 PM
A. J. Clark

I have 25% now on elevator and started with something lower then raised it to 25%. I'm useing a spektrum radio.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:41 AM
Jetpilot24

I have 25% now on elevator and started with something lower then raised it to 25%. I'm useing a spektrum radio.
I dropped mine down to 10% on the elevator 15% on the ailerons and 10% on the rudder and that got rid of my porpoising problem
rjbob (04-14-2024)
Old 07-23-2023, 04:55 AM
A. J. Clark

I'll try some different expo settings when it's back in to air.
Mine is grounded right now do to damaged landing gear. I want to get it in the air again. Not sure I want to stay with the original landing gear. What is everyone else useing for gear??
Old 07-23-2023, 06:19 PM
jetflyr

Mine is grounded right now do to damaged landing gear. I want to get it in the air again. Not sure I want to stay with the original landing gear. What is everyone else useing for gear??
= = = =

I'm switching mine over to the JP Hobbies set they make for the Phoenix Hawk.
Greg
Old 07-24-2023, 02:26 AM
Jetpilot24

I have the original gear in mine. I have heard that people are putting in the JP Hobby gear. I have been told it it's not a drop in. Some cutting is required. Also if it is a motor for the gear you need, Phoenix models does carry replacement motors. I had one strip the gears, my fault, and put a new motor in. Had to cut the worm drive down about 1/2 inch.
Old 07-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Jetpilot24

Craig I see your in Indiana, I'm in Ohio and fly at the Nighthawks Rc club
Your about 3.5 hours away if you want to make a day trip and come over to fly with me. Your welcome to. https://www.nighthawksrc.com/
Old 07-24-2023, 03:55 PM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by jetflyr
= = = =

I'm switching mine over to the JP Hobbies set they make for the Phoenix Hawk.
Greg
I found the Phoenix hawk retracts on JP Hobby website. If I ordered them they would be on backorder. Really don't want to do that. Is there any other place that would have them or would you know of any other set that would work.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 PM
Jetpilot24

I just looked on Phoenix models website they have the stock gear in stock. Do a Google search for Phoenix models BAE Hawk parts and you can find it on their website
rjbob (04-14-2024)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 PM
Jetpilot24

Phoenix models is pretty quick on shipping too You order it then you pay the next day and they ship it within a day or two. I ordered electric motors and trunnions for my gear and had them within a week and a half
Old 07-24-2023, 06:22 PM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
I just looked on Phoenix models website they have the stock gear in stock. Do a Google search for Phoenix models BAE Hawk parts and you can find it on their website

Maybe I wasn't real clear. I know I can get the original retracts. What I want is the JP retracts for the Phoenix hawk.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:25 PM
jetflyr

Maybe I wasn't real clear. I know I can get the original retracts. What I want is the JP retracts for the Phoenix hawk.
= = = = =

The same issue with me...... With the Phoenix retracts it is a direct take from Keith Shaw (one of the God's of electrics): Buy it right, or buy it twice ......
My bent frames will attest to that statement
Greg
Old 07-24-2023, 09:18 PM
anthonymio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JP gear for the 1.75M Phoenix Hawk is not a drop-in replacement for the retracts that are shipped with the new version 2 of the Hawk. The JP gear will require modification of the existing bolt holes for the main gear and the nose gear. The longitudinal spacing of the bolt holes on the JP gear are closer to each other. The nose gear bolts through an aluminum plate, so it will require more than just filling the hole with a dowel rod and re-drilling. The nose gear will require slotting the mounting flanges of the retract. Finally, The knuckle for the main gear trailing links are not exactly in the same location either, so the plastic tubs will require some cutting to have the gear fit without binding.
The JP gear uses the JP ER120 retract mechanism which is lighter and has a 3mm worm drive driving a 3mm drive pin and a narrower aluminum trunnion. The equivalent JP drop in replacement for the Phoenix retract motor is the ER160 motor. The ER160 has a 4mm worm drive that uses a more substantial drive pin and trunnion.
The Phoenix electric brakes are terrible. The JP replacements however require modification (narrowing) of the strut frame to mount them to the Phoenix struts since the Phoenix strut frame is wider. The new LD technology units sold by Castle RC are JP equivalents that use a collar to retain the magnetic hub and fit the Phoenix strut without any mods.

Tony M.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:02 AM
Jetpilot24

I know you want the JP gear, I was just thinking that you wanted to get back in the air Quickly not having to wait for ever for the JP gear. What part of your gear broke?
Old 10-20-2023, 04:34 AM
Dave Wave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody had an issue with the brakes being a bit weak? Mine seem to be on or off, and when on are a bit stiff to turn but not near a locked wheel.

Secondly, any ideas what the "ABS" function does on the brake/landing gear box?

Thanks!