Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Beginner Sport Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Beginner Sport Jet

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 12:27 PM
whwong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beginner Sport Jet

Hello Everyone,

I am currently flying props and 70-80mm EDF's. Recently seen some turbine sport jets flying in person. They are awesome. Decided I need to get into the turbine world! So looking for advice and suggestions here for what I should get. Don't think my flying skill is quite up to par, so I may want a plane which is forgiving enough with good slow speed handling. I assume sport jet would be more appropriate than scale jet.

Going through some posts and videos, here are my preliminary parts list:

T-1 Micro PNP package
Xicoy X45 Turbine
Spektrum AR10100T Receiver
(Optional) Cortex Pro Gyro
Single or Double 2S LiPo Battery

Looks like the T-1 Micro is the smallest and lightest composite jet in the market for now. I choose it because I only have a small car to transport for now (also not much space in house!), so portability is a big concern for me. I understand that bigger jet is easier to fly. I also consider the HSD Super Viper Composite, it is a much bigger plane so it would be much harder for me to transport. But HSD has local operations here in Dallas area so it may be a big plus for me in customer support aspect.

Also I pick the Xicoy X45 over Kingtech K45 due to fact that I can get away with a single 2S 7.4v LiPo battery to power everything onboard, or at least I can run a single voltage system. Am I making sense here?

I am real world Citation pilot in North Dallas area. But as usual, flying RC is more difficult than the real thing. I found that it is quite a learning curve getting into turbine as a lot of new stuff need to be known. After going through some posts and videos, I still don't think I have a thorough understanding for the turbine system yet.

Would welcome any suggestions of which plane to get, and any other aspects. Once I got all the parts ready, probably need some great guys in local Dallas area to help assembling and ground testing, eventually buddy box flying down the road.

Wing
Old 02-26-2022, 02:48 PM
dr.tom

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Why not avanti freewing? Cheaper and lighter, bet it lands slower and parts are cheaper(if you need them)
comes ARF so not much to do.

fits into a car without dissasembly, even with turbine running if you are in a hurry Freewing Avanti S EDF Converted to Turbine
Old 02-26-2022, 04:26 PM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take a look at the Rebel Hot from CARF. Similar size to the T-one but the CARF quality is much nicer. All of the rebels fly amazing and the price is very similar to the T-one.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:18 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

A Boomerang Elan will be a good platform to learn the force of the turbines, from there go with an F16 lightly used if you can find one, the smaller fast jets are not the best platform to learn about the turbines.

Most important of all, have fun doing it!

Last edited by CARS II; 02-26-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:40 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
A Boomerang Elan will be a good platform to learn the force of the turbines, from there go with an F16 lightly used if you can find one, the smaller fast jets are not the best platform to learn about the turbines.

Most important of all, have fun doing it!
Likewise the standard size Xcalber.

The twin boom jets break down into compact packages for storage & transport.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:16 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you are already flying 70 to 80mm EDF look to see if there is a turbine conversion kit available for one of them. Then you are starting with something you are already familiar with its flight characteristics as well as its storage and transport needs.

Another thing to keep in mind is the rule 29 of AMA #510-A that AMA has for model requirements for getting your waiver. You may want to make sure that your first jet weighs at least meets these requirements.

As part of your research it would be wise to read all of the turbine stuff on the AMA website, you will want to see the 500 series of documents that will have all of it info to get your waiver and requirements to maintain your AMA insurance coverage. If you are logged into the AMA site as a member you will be able to view a list of turbine waiver holders and turbine waiver CDs to be able to find one near you.

Last edited by flyinfool1; 02-27-2022 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
patf (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 AM
CARS II

Foamy jet are ok to start with, just keep it mind that, they don't last more than a season, maybe two, and the control surfaces are not rigged for the speeds that a turbines provides, I've seen this first hand, I was training one of our members with his foamy jet, on the first flight, it came with the rudder's pushrod completely off the the clevis, needless to say, he replaced all of the plastic and metric pushrods.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:59 PM
whwong

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

Yes i am thinking of foamy turbine conversion since I already have quite a few 70-80mm EDF airframes, but the problem is that I cannot get a turbine waiver with these converted turbine jets. So I am more leaning towards to get an airframe dedicated for turbine, and in this case the takeoff weight need not be more than 12 lb to be eligible for the turbine waiver "checkride". Correctly me if I am wrong. I am going to do more reading on AMA site as Jeff suggested.

Wing
Old 02-27-2022, 11:02 PM
CARS II

You know, now that you mentioned the weight limit, I read the aircraft requirements rules on section ( i ) a through g and yes, it gives a minimum weight for the airframe but, the are two ( or ) that ( as I understand it ) let's you use an airframe lighter than 12 lbs by complying with the other two options.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-27-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Ya, planes like the AvantiS and Harlock viper that are made for turbine or EDF can be used now even if they weigh less than 12 pounds provided they meet the other conditions
Old 02-28-2022, 08:39 AM
wfield0455

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Ya, planes like the AvantiS and Harlock viper that are made for turbine or EDF can be used now even if they weigh less than 12 pounds provided they meet the other conditions
It also seemed a bit more specific than that. As I read it a Sebart Mini Avanti using a P20 and Sebart's conversion kit is OK but a Sebart Mini Avanti with a tailpipe purchased elsewhere and an X45 would not. It sounded to me like it had to be the entire package with all OEM selected equipment more than just a plane that was designed to be able to convert from EDF to turbine.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:23 AM
whwong

That's what I think. A straight manufacturer conversion kit would be ok, any aftermarket parts would void the eligibility for the "checkride".

Now I am thinking of getting an used plane from guys in the local Dallas area, and learn from the local guys. This may be an easier learning curve for me.

Wing
grbaker (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:21 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by whwong
Now I am thinking of getting an used plane from guys in the local Dallas area, and learn from the local guys. This may be an easier learning curve for me.

Wing
Best idea yet! Also, do you have a paved runway to fly from? The foamy stuff or anything with tiny tires, will most likely not do well off grass
Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

There's an active turbine group in the Fort Worth Thunderbirds club that flies from a fantastic site at Benbrook Lake.

Come on over and we will help you out.

Paul
BarracudaHockey (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 06:55 PM
whwong

I am flying at the NDRCC Eagle Field as I am 20 minutes away from it, do not fly often though as the usual family and job obligation. I will ask around there as well and see if any active turbine guys could help.

Just came across the T1 1/8.5 F16, this or similar will be my goal for the next few years, I assume this maybe 1-2 planes from my first turbine jet. Not planning to fly anything bigger than that.

Paul,
Great thanks for your help. I am 1 hour 15 mins from the Thunderbird Field. I will definitely come down and check in with you guys later on. Let me know when your turbine group have a bigger gathering and I can come over. What kind of jets you guy fly that is more towards trainer jet? I may look into it and get the same thing to start with. Or if there are any used planes that someone already graduated from, please let me know.

Wing
Old 02-28-2022, 08:07 PM
CARS II

The F16s are a very good first warbird jets but, they need to be set up properly and be trained on how they fly when fast and more so when slow, if there is someone flying one then, that's the right person to talk to.