Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM Turbine Problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM Turbine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 08:31 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM Turbine Problems

A bit harsh? I think not. I have held back for a few weeks before posting this so to give RAM a chance to resolve the issue with my engine but after many emails to RAM and also one to Toni F there has been no contact so here we go.

My ram 500 never ran right from new. After the first run it was howling very loudly so I contacted RAM and the said it needs to go back for minor adjustments, so i was sent back at a shipping cost of about $120 and when it came back I ran it again and after two runs it was howling the same. At this stage I had lost a bit of confidence in RAM and not wanting another $120 shipping bill I took it to WREN who are the designers of the MW54 which the RAM 500 is based.When we took it apart we found that the shaft hole in the turbine wheel had been bored of centre and to an angle so when it was placed in the tunnel 4/5 blades touched the NGV so in an atempt to correct there obvious error they got the dremmel out and partialy ground away 4/5 blades!! the problem is that the back of the blades is the thickest part of the blade so when running at high revs the blade stretched and rubbed on the shroud.It needed a new turbine , NGV and bearings and the repair cost me £300 ($425) after only 8 runs!
I now own a MW54 kit built engine and after 4 hours of building it starts and runs perfectly so I would advise anyone looking to get a 12lb class engine to contact either Wren in the UK or JD enterprises in the US as these engines are the real thing and are a supurb product which is something I cant say about RAM.
It`s a shame the the rumours that were swarming around just before chrismas were nor true as if they were then I would have had a lucky escape from buying a pile of trash for $2000.

If you guys from RAM happen to read this then my be this will make you think twice before sending out a product with the problems I've had like you did to me.

Here is a picture of the wheel removed from my 500, you can see where the blades have been butchered away.

And one last thing to the RAM reps out there, before you start posting how customer satifaction is important to RAM take a look at the photo and decide for yourself if this is a product of a company who is realy bothered about that at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10602_1442.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	7271  
Old 05-08-2002, 08:48 PM
navcom

Default thanks Jason

I've had it with RAM, this is the last straw!

Jason, thanks for the update, it's people like you who are a credit to the hooby by informing us when things go bad and there is no response from a mfr.

I believe thats why the old wise one BVM himself is not selling RAM anymore. Obvious he knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust BVM with your$$$$$. They are cutting edge and maintain that by keeping suppliers checked out.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Laura H

Jason and you aint the only one that has had trouble in the UK with your RAM, Ali has as well with his RAM 500's...

Have a Wren on order and its going to be sent out on Friday!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 09:07 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Im glad someone came otu and said something, when someone is about to say something about "RAM" another guy (whitch probably s a RAM rep) cuts in and saying no this, not that,and STOP cuting down other turbin manufactures. well ive allways read the colloms and book here magazine there, and yet allways someone is trying to say something about RAM never could do it TILL TODAY

P.S. THEY JUST LOST A POSSBLE CUSTOMER
Old 05-08-2002, 09:08 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Actually navcom,

There are currently NO distributors for RAM period. Several months ago, RAM decided they would be the only distributors for their engines. You make it sound like BV himself decided to no longer sell/support RAM engines..this is not the case. BV's new Sabre currently utilizes a 500 X for power and it works perfectly. Sorry you guys are having so many problems. I do agree, however, that their quality control as well as customer service needs to improve dramatically. This all coming from someone who has continually tried to support and "stick up" for RAM amidst all the bashing and dissatisfaction. I'd like to fly over to Florida and show them what true customer service is all about!

Spencer Maze
CRCJA
Old 05-08-2002, 09:13 PM
littlepiston

REp #1 just showed up heheh
Old 05-08-2002, 09:21 PM
robert

I would have to say that from what I have seen and heard, RAM are would go down in my book as one of the best manufacturers of Turbines, and so far, all the 500s I have heard of work great. I can understand that every now and again a bad product slips off the line, but grinding half a blade off, and not testing it properly is one of the stupidest thing a manufacturer can do. Com on RAM, start doing something!
Just my 2 cents!
Robert.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:21 PM
smaze17

NOT a rep dude. can't you read.....i stated their quality control and customer service needs to improve.....DRAMATICALLY!!!

sm
Old 05-08-2002, 09:27 PM
littlepiston

you are right ,i should be talking good about ram , since i dont have that much money to spend ,this is the brand that is going to be the cheapest to buy in a few years heheh
Old 05-08-2002, 09:28 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fellas - you must voice any opinions on companies with facts to support what you are claiming...if you make a statement against a company it is fine but please be prepared to back it up if necessary.

also let's keep the name calling and unecessary bashing out of this thread and report what we know as facts. That means no company name calling or personal attacks.

If not adhered to the thread will be closed. I have no problem with somebody airing a problem they have had with a product or company as long as kept objective and factual. Let's all be mature and keep this discussion rational. Again if this is not possible it will be locked down.

Thank You.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:33 PM
littlepiston

Opps shhhhhhhhhh and the bashing got stoped again well Oh well Busted any way GOTE
Old 05-08-2002, 09:36 PM
littlepiston

and stop deleteing peoples posts
Old 05-08-2002, 09:36 PM
smaze17

Default huh

little piston....aka benson, ramtec1, ramtec2...
Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 PM
littlepiston

Default Re: huh

:cry: :cry:
Originally posted by smaze17
little piston....aka benson, ramtec1, ramtec2...

AWWWWWWWW im not that bad am ,I wel ok Ill stop
i have herd about them peps and dont want no one to relate :cry: me to them :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 05-08-2002, 09:45 PM
smaze17

Default my bad

come to think of it....you aren't even close to being as bad as those clowns..my bad!

spencer
Old 05-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I have read this thread over and still find it hard to believe RAMicro Jets would let a turbine out the door in the condition Jason tells us of.

I own a Ram 500, and have has a few problems with it also. BUT, and thats a big.... BUT, I have had no problems with service or getting it looked at.

As I told elsewhere on RC Universe, Rei and Carlos found what was wrong with mine at Toledo, last month. We took it out of the show and went outside, ran it and it worked perfectly. Saved me shipping it back to Fl.

I'm happy
Old 05-08-2002, 10:12 PM
littlepiston

Default Re: my bad

Originally posted by smaze17
come to think of it....you aren't even close to being as bad as those clowns..my bad!

spencer
ok ok guys i was haveing some funn but its allover i Love Ram !!!! no just kidding i doint even own a freaking turbin but i have herad a lot about Ram turbins and its all well most of it is not good and some is ?dont know i will have to wait till i get one

didnt want to ofend anyone sorry EVERYONE
Old 05-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Pegasus

I don't see the bore in wheel, got better pics?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:36 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I had the Data display terminal go out on my Ram 500. I check the plugs, connections ect. No success. I called Ram, explained the problem, the said they'd send out a new display unit. Two day later it arrived, plugged it in, problem resolved. Sent the old unit back to Ram. No Charge, not even for freight.
Now that's service!!!!
Galen
Old 05-09-2002, 12:48 AM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS IF YOU DON'T NEED THE SERVICE THATS THE BEST SERVICE EVER.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:07 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

I have had 6 ram turbines. ALL of them had problems. ram1000#1 had bearings failed after 25 flights, They repaired it at no charge. Ram1000#2 just failed recently exactly like #1 after about 30 runs, jut sent it in with a letter, I SHOULD have it repaired free, we'll see and I'll report facts later. I bought 4 Ram 500's, three failed from the start and were fixed at a charge. The last one failed due to my fault, they claim. I have since repaired and sold all of them.
I do believe ram can build up their reputation and improve their quality control easily. I do hope they stay in business to give modelers more choices. Meanwhile, I will take my $$$ somewhere else but always willing to give them a try when and if I am convinced they have come up to my expectations.

Regards, Ehab.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:26 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by PHIL NUZA
LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS IF YOU DON'T NEED THE SERVICE THATS THE BEST SERVICE EVER.

Now there is a point!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:31 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Sounds good in theory.
The reality is - If it don't need service, you ain't using it.
Galen
Old 05-09-2002, 04:32 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose thats true, but like the thread, Id rather not be

So when are you going to meet up at whidbey and do some flying???

Love to see a bobcat go, never have yet in person.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:51 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

I think it is how SOON you need the service and how MUCH it costs!! My Jetcats have yet to cost me a dime. I have had 100+ flits on one of the oldest SN's. My Mercury, my 1st turbine, has not cost me a cent with about 50 flits... Quality and relaibility is also relative to one's expectations..

Regards, Ehab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.