Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Best starter jet? >

Best starter jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best starter jet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best starter jet?

Hello all. I know this question has been asked a million times before . I have a P120 and I am considering either the CompArf Eurosport (leaning to this one), the CompArf Rookie, the Graupner Hot Spot, or maybe even one of the 400 (exaggeration) F-15's on the market. I am not afraid to build or anything, but I think for the money vs. what you actually get, the CompArf Planes are a pretty good choice. This will be my first jet, so I am looking for something that will fly pretty slow as well as having a decent top end (150-180 or so, not interested in breaking any speed records ). I also like the looks of the Fiorenze T-38 (no one makes an F-5 big enough in the USA [:@]). I am looking for some inputs to help me make a decision on what to buy. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: Best starter jet?

Golden West Mig 21

what???

hey freak show, you know what I think are some viable choices but if you want to hear them again come on out on Saturday. might have to do the "low show" with the King but it'll be worth it to watch that hog turn and burn.

c'ya at the field

buck
Old 06-22-2004, 11:48 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Of those choices I would say go with the Eurosport, if I had a 120 I'd have a Eurosport right now I think. The P120 will work on a hotspot or Rookie, but it's really overkill, you need to derate it. That's not a big deal, it's just something that seems a little silly, to have that big an engine on a plane that you just don't need it on. From what I've read the Eurosport probably flies significantly better anyway, the Hot Spot is fast, the Rookie, well, I don't know, it won't slow down as well as the ES does either. If you want scale, I would say go with the Skymaster F15.

A T38 would be a really hot jet for a first, it won't have slow landing speeds or be very forgiving at all. Considering your desire for a jet that will fly pretty slow, I think the ES will be your best bet.

However, having said that, if you don't mind spending the $$$, the Kingcat would be the absolute best choice from what I know of them (having read about them and talked with owners about them)
Jeremy
Old 06-23-2004, 01:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Shane

You should give me a call, you still got my Cell? Ill give you some scoops if you can keep a secret. BTW I finally flew the F-104!
Shane the Euro look's like a good flyer from what I have seen. I would just get what you like because most of the airplanes you talked about require around the same skill lvl. Just get something with some wing area, they tend to be easier to fly, but not always.

I would pretty much agree with Jeremy on the different aircraft. I have flown the Hotspot and it is very clean, so if you have a short field it can be less than fun to land. What kind of runway do you fly off of now?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36175.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	146433  
Old 06-23-2004, 02:58 AM

Shane

Go for the Roo, Rookie or Hotspot. Simple delta setup, low wing loading, both fast and slow, solid gear mounts which can take a lot of abuse.

IMO the Eurosport is much to fragile to be a good choice as a first jet.

Start with a simple on like the Roo or Rookie etc. and get a lot of flights on it. That way you get basic jet experience and a lot of air time with less money and time invested in it.

I have too many times seen newbies wanting a fancy first jet when first getting in to turbines. Usually they don't come back after they crash it, because the loss was to big.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Shane,
If you have a p120 then go with a hotspot or a rookie, yes it is too much power for the plane but pull it back to 17/18 # of thrust and it will be a good performing trainer. When you are more comfortable with it then push it up to 20-22# of thrust and it will become a rocket. I fly mine with a RAM1000 at about 22# of thrust and it flys great. Gets off in about 200 - 250 feet, hi speed fly bys are awesome, vertical for days, and extra power for those go-arounds when you need too.

If this is your first turbine I would not go with the eurosport as their are just way to many mods that have to be made to the airplane from the factory, plus it seems that to get max performance out of the plane everyone is going with a P160 in them.

You can also consider the PCM DV8R, it is big, can fly fast and land at a crawl. It is a relatively inexpensive plane but requires building unlike the composite arf line of jets. I have also heard of some people getting into turbines using the skymaster f15, not sure how it flys and have never seen one fly but those that have them say they are a very docile airplane.

Patrick.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:06 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Facet 2300

http://www.greatnorthernmodels.com/

A little over $700 delivered to your door (kit, wood pack, wheels/tires & brakes) and your P120 is perfect for it. I had a P120 powered Roo but I like the Facet a lot better. I also have a P120 powered Eurosport and although some could probably do it as their first jet, I would not recommend it. My Facet has been finished for about 3 months and it now has twice as many flights as my 1 year old Eurosport.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Aero65

BTW I finally flew the F-104!

Duke,

Is that an Avonds F-104 you flew, or are Skymaster doing one?

Cheers,

Dick
England
Old 06-23-2004, 11:17 AM
My Feedback: (3)

If you can go for it-KINGCAT hands down. My first jet and now I'm going for flight 11 and more this coming weekend, enjoying everyone of them. Great speed and landings are very slow and stable. On the other hand a friend is flying the Facet 2300 with a P-120 and it is also a great 1st plane. The Facet will really slow down on landing.

Regards

Robert
Old 06-23-2004, 12:14 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane: My first jet is a Roo from C-ARF. Don't fligth it yet, is still on the work bench waiting for me. Just ordered a jetcat p 120 and a gripen. That's gonna be a lot of power for both planes. Like other's said, just tune down the engine and it will be great, plus already have a good power plant for a bigger project like the ES. You can also check the facet 2300 or the new AV8R. No matter what plane you want start with the easy one to get some flying time and get used to the engine operation procedures. Roo and AV8R are good choices because engine is mounted outside the fuse, this make's easier the learning phase of the engine operation.

Best Regars
Old 06-23-2004, 01:14 PM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: SAP_2000

Shane

Go for the Roo, Rookie or Hotspot. Simple delta setup, low wing loading, both fast and slow, solid gear mounts which can take a lot of abuse.

Start with a simple on like the Roo or Rookie etc. and get a lot of flights on it. That way you get basic jet experience and a lot of air time with less money and time invested in it.

I agree. The Rookie is an excellent first jet. I have 110 flights on mine and it is still going strong. Very stable going slow or fast.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:26 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first jet was a Roo. It was the composite model and was very weak for a beginner in my opinion. Started to delaminate and was not very forgiving. The thing went together terribly and left too much for the beginner's imagination. In my opinion, for the money, the Kingcat looks like the best thing on the market. It is a high dollar airplane, but at the last jet meet I was at I saw guying flying them down to walking speed. It is big, easy to see, and comes with everything included that fits the fuse and looks very strong. I witnessed two "dead stick" landings with these planes and there was no problems recovering them. Everyone who had one of these was flying them all day long with no problems. The Mississippi Gang were in the air all day long with these planes and they flew them very well. My next jet will probably be a KingCat, unless Airpac has got something really cool up their sleeves coming down the pipe[&:]
Tommy
Old 06-23-2004, 01:28 PM

If you want a jet that looks and flys like a giant dog turd, then get a Rookie, hotspot, facet, AV8tor, Boomerang,...pretty much anything covered in monokote.
If you want to have something to be proud to take to the field and have a ton of success with your P-120 that will make you look like a rockstar in the air,,,,then get a Bobcat or a Kingcat. I was in your shoes once I am glad I chose wisely by not flying my T-38 and built my Bobcat.

Justin Sands
Old 06-23-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Go for the Kingcat... a easy to assemble plane that you will be proud of... the Roo, Hotspots and the likes are fine choices too. You could also think about the Tom Cook´s Hustler.

Regards, Enrique
Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: sandslx

If you want a jet that looks and flys like a giant dog turd, then get a Rookie, hotspot, facet, AV8tor, Boomerang,...pretty much anything covered in monokote.
Justin Sands
The Rookie is covered with the same thing the Kingcat is... at the same factory. I'm not saying they are the same kit, what I am saying is for the first timer spending that kind of money to learn on is crazy. Spend the $600 for a Rookie or something cheap(disposable). Then move up to a Kingcat, Bobcat or something like that.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-23-2004, 02:46 PM

If you want to have something to be proud to take to the field and have a ton of success with your P-120 that will make you look like a rockstar in the air,,,,then get a Bobcat or a Kingcat.
Spoken like one of the elite.

Glad I'm not one of them.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: sandslx

If you want to have something to be proud to take to the field and have a ton of success with your P-120 that will make you look like a rockstar in the air,,,,then get a Bobcat or a Kingcat. I was in your shoes once I am glad I chose wisely by not flying my T-38 and built my Bobcat.

Justin Sands
Justin,
That was about the dumbest statement I have ever heard. There are alot of rookies, hotspots, facets, AV8R, boomerangs that got alot of people into this hobby. A hotspot is a good flying airplane that will perform very well. I think the Lott's out of mississippi were tossing kangaroo's around along time before Kingcats and bobcats hit the market. Oh, also for your comment about anything covered in monokote, I think BV himself said that the bobcat could be covered in monokote also. Hmmmm....I guess TonyF's bobcat was a giant flying dog turd since it was covered in monokote.

As far as the T38 have you flown that yet or is it still a hangar queen?

Patrick.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:19 PM

What is the Re-sale value on a facet these days?
You guys are cracking me up on your false economics............. buy cheap buy twice... too funny.

Justin Sands
Old 06-23-2004, 03:21 PM

What's the resale value on a bobcat these days? When they first came out they were going on the open maket for 8-10K ready to fly. Try getting that for one of them now.

Patrick.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 PM

What is the Re-sale value on a facet these days?
Don't know what the resale value is on a Facet. Not very many people that have them are selling them. I wouldn't trade mine for a BobCat or a KingCat.

I do this hobby to please one person. ME. I don't need to
look like a rockstar in the air
Justin
Isn't it about time for you to post one of your famous pics?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:05 PM

What's the resale value on a bobcat these days? When they first came out they were going on the open maket for 8-10K ready to fly. Try getting that for one of them now.
I just sold my Bobcat for that amount a few weeks ago............Can we get back to how much a facet is worth now?

It took me a while to figure out what "open maket" was.......There is a spell checker at the bottom right of your screen.

Justin
Isn't it about time for you to post one of your famous pics?
Do you guys really want one?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:32 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I still dont get about this (Jets) aspect of the hobby...

There are those who build and fly models for the enjoyment and exitement & thrill of doing so. Then there seems to be those who think the more money they spend makes them somehow superior... I fly my AV8R and Super Reaper in the middle of no where, here where I live, and enjoy it. They are not awesome looking multi thousand dollar scale birds, or the high end ARF's (which I dont have anything against either, for thos who decide to go that route) but they certainly fly well, and do what I need them to do.

What has resale value have to do with anything? WHen I purchase a plane the last thing I am thinking of is to sell it...

Something like the large Facet, the DV8R or other kits are all viable options today. I recently saw multiple King Cats fly, and they are indeed awesome. Also saw many Roo's, a Rookie and other sport jets (Tango, etc) and all flew really well too.

If I had a 120 looking for a home right now, I would go with the DV8R. Next choice probably the big Facet. If money wasnt a problem I would go for a Kingcat. But only because I saw three fly and they are awesome airplanes. Not because they are expensive.

AJC
Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

One thing I still dont get about this (Jets) aspect of the hobby...

There are those who build and fly models for the enjoyment and exitement & thrill of doing so. Then there seems to be those who think the more money they spend makes them somehow superior
I think you hit the nail dead on there!

The funny thing is when the newbies start doing so as well. When they show up with their fancy new jet, they are so nervous that they have to get someone else to fly the plane for them. Nothing much to learn from that. Or if the finally decide on taking it to the skies themselves and end up crashing it because their knees are hammering together and they can't think straight because of the nerves. Nothing much to learn from that either....

The more you relax, the more you learn..[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-23-2004, 04:56 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Isn't it about time for you to post one of your famous pics? [/quote]

Do you guys really want one?
[/quote]

oh yeah!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:04 PM

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!!!!!!

I would imagine if I showed up at a jet event with one of those birds listed above......... I would feel like this guy....but it looks like he is enjoying himself.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.