Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Toki 18 thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Toki 18 thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:58 AM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toki 18 thread!

Thats lame it doesent have ground steering, what were they thinking.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:00 AM
rpmtech

Default Toki 18 thread!

Hey Easy, Pegasus wants to put his mini micro turbo in a RPMjet!
Old 10-16-2002, 01:00 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toki 18 thread!

That's too funny. I was just posting at the same time as you...
I wanted to put the Fantom into something else I had previously flown first, to get a better comparison, but the DJ was ready, did not have an engine in it, and it's more accessable than the Sabre or the Corsair, for changing the pipe length and such. So, in it went.
For the RPM, you can try the stock Toki, I'll probably go for whatever the hottest thing is I can find. I also want to do the mini springairs. I heard robart has some new tiny ones, too...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:03 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Originally posted by rpmodeltech
Thats lame it doesent have ground steering, what were they thinking.
Not enough room, maybe? Yeah, it's dumb.

Micro turbine? Ohhh...tell him I'll trade him a slightly used Fantom 15/TokiFan for it...

I'm not in a massive rush for the kit. I have a pipe and header for you, PM me your adress again...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30789_252.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	19108  
Old 10-16-2002, 01:42 AM
rpmtech

Default Toki 18 thread!

Thats the next best{intake} thing for static thrust, except for hanging it out in the breeze. If the intake area on the RPM jet is not sufficent {it about equals the fan swept area} I will mold some NACA ducts that get glued on the bottom. I'm counting on your expertise too Easytiger!

Anyway I dont want to bash your thread about the toki, so I will pm you .
Old 10-16-2002, 02:42 AM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Default Toki 18 thread!

Curtis,

Just wondering what kind of thrust numbers you're getting out of this? I've got a HOB F-86 kit and a Midwest Jetster kit collecting dust and begging for a decent small fan system. If you don't have thrust numbers, how about the all up weight of your birds?

Great work so far... keep it coming!

Bob
Old 10-16-2002, 12:01 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

I measured just over two pounds of installed thrust with my chintzy little Zebco De-Liar fish scale. I do not think that it is accurate enough at the lower end of the scale to really rely on, I will have to get a better scale.
Weights:
DJ3, 64 ounces
A-7 Corsair 66 ounces
F-86 55 ounces.

I think both the HOB F86 and the Jetster are going to be too heavy, too large, and too draggy for this class of fan. I was talking with a Jetster owner last night, by coincidence. Both of those planes seem to be most satisfactory with either the OS25VRDF or 40 class engines, and pretty nominal at best with anything less. I would not try it.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Default Toki 18 thread!

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Oh well, i guess they'll continue to sit on the shelf until someone builds a reliable .21 sized fan. Sure would be nice though.... 3-4 lbs of thrust in a small package would be perfect without having to shoehorn a .45 sized fan in there.

Bob
Old 10-16-2002, 02:27 PM
1930wl
My Feedback: (1)

Default Toki 18 thread!

Originally posted by Bobman
Curtis,

I've got a HOB F-86 kit and a Midwest Jetster kit collecting dust and begging for a decent small fan system.

Bob
Here's one solution for your Jetster. This is a K&B 7.5/turbax.

This aircraft has been flown w/EDF at Arizona Jets and with an OS .15/Kyosho unit.

If you build the Jetster, extend the nose 2-3 inches, otherwise getting the cg right requires a lot of lead to balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30857_998.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	19109  
Old 10-17-2002, 01:59 AM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Default Toki 18 thread!

Easy, Can you rig the DJ3 for NWS? Was looking at some pics and couldnt see why not...is it really tight up there? (so to speak)
Old 10-17-2002, 02:29 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Default Toki 18 thread!

Easytiger,

I want what ever you are taking, man, you turn out a plane every 8 hrs. and they are painted and have all the electronics in them , and you still had time for dinner. You are not human man, tell the truth, you are an alien sent here to find out how man kind learns to fly,

keep it coming baby,

slow poke bringing up the rear out!

William
Old 10-18-2002, 02:05 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

I put TEN more flights on the A-7 today, zero problems, zero deadsticks.
Nice airplane. Snaps and spins, even. Shot touch and goes until it got too dark to see.
Starting this engine can be a pain you do not use the proper technique of hemostats when you fill it. You can flood the engine easily. Once you have the procedure down, though, it starts time after time effortlessly.
I have to see about necking down the tailpipe with a paper cup or something to pick up the speed.

I'll repaint her in camo soon, too.

I did not fly the DJ3 today, I have a leaky carb and was having too much fun with the Corsair to stop to fix it.
I'm going to beat William for "Most Flights" at Superman next year and win one of those Googleplex radios or something...
Old 10-18-2002, 11:28 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default a-7

guys
seen the a-7 fly very stable lands very nice just needs to land
with a little power to avound the death bounce.no speed demon
about 50 mph easy try to reduce the tail cone dia a little.on take off plane did not use a lot of runway.
vinny
Old 10-18-2002, 10:05 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Originally posted by rpmodeltech
Thats the next best{intake} thing for static thrust, except for hanging it out in the breeze. If the intake area on the RPM jet is not sufficent {it about equals the fan swept area} I will mold some NACA ducts that get glued on the bottom. I'm counting on your expertise too Easytiger!

Anyway I dont want to bash your thread about the toki, so I will pm you .
I've yet to have a jet that had TOO MUCH intake area!
Ducts on the bottom would be cool, but they rule out belly landing the thing.
I definitely want to do mini springairs on mine...

What is the airframe weight right now?
Old 10-18-2002, 10:10 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Re: a-7

Originally posted by vinnyjet
guys
seen the a-7 fly very stable lands very nice just needs to land
with a little power to avound the death bounce.no speed demon
about 50 mph easy try to reduce the tail cone dia a little.on take off plane did not use a lot of runway.
vinny
Right on. It will bounce like crazy if you try to bring it in on idle. The gear is sturdy, and it does not want to tip over and bang up the wingtips, so it's not a big deal, but if you bring in a little throttle at the last moment, you can grease them in every time.
On my last flight, I just shot a dozen takeoffs and landings to practice. It's easy. A very forgiving airplane.
50 mph seems about right, using my patented "average of five idiots" speed measurment technique. Just ask any five idiots at the field, including myself, and average it out. Feel free to toss out the low and the high if they are way out of calibration.
I am going to try a paper cup or something to reduce the exhaust diameter. I may be re-inventing the wheel...it could be that the designer has already tested many configurations and found the best comprimise...
Old 10-18-2002, 10:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Originally posted by t33jetman
Easytiger,

I want what ever you are taking, man, you turn out a plane every 8 hrs. and they are painted and have all the electronics in them , and you still had time for dinner. You are not human man, tell the truth, you are an alien sent here to find out how man kind learns to fly,

keep it coming baby,

slow poke bringing up the rear out!

William
Thanks for the kind words! I may not be a world-class builder, but I am fast and prolific, which is SOMETHING, I guess.
When I get in the mood, I can blast through projects really fast. Sometimes, though, work keeps me from the bench for weeks or a month at a time, so I guess I have to compensate when I DO have the time!
And you guys only see the JETS I build. I do all sortsa other models, too! Man does not live on jets alone...though they are sure addictive.
I see you are busy, too. Finish up those Byrons, I have a pic of my F86D in my gallery here on RCU.
I am thinking about adding a spinner to the Kyosho Sabre and making it a Dog model, too...
Old 10-18-2002, 10:19 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Originally posted by B1Driver
Easy, Can you rig the DJ3 for NWS? Was looking at some pics and couldnt see why not...is it really tight up there? (so to speak)
I think I am going to HAVE to. People at Floyd Bennett Field do no like to stop flying while you dork around on the runway setting down or retreiving a plane that can't be steered. It's bad manners!
Old 10-20-2002, 01:23 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

I added nosewheel steering today, with a control arm soldered onto the strut, fine cables running through aluminum pipes to the rudder servo, two wire whiskers to center it as it retracts, and rubber bands to keep the cables clear as the gear retracts. In other words, totally conventional.
I also fixed the carb. Turns out the grub screw that holds the throttle arm into the carb vibrated loose, hence fuel dripping from where the arm went into the carb, and the barrel not opening properly.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:13 PM
B1Driver

Default NWS

Easy, can you post pictures of your NWS rig for future refrence. I plan on getting the DJ3 later on and would like to do the same thing you did to it. Thanks

Luis
Old 10-20-2002, 10:11 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

I'll post some pics tomorrow...providing the NWS system WORKS! Hope to get a chance to fly her tomorrow.
If I have any other engine troubles, I will pull the Fantom 15 and put in a stock Toki from the Sabre.
Leroy Grumman always had a policy of never putting an untried engine in an untried aircraft...makes a lot of sense, worked for Grumman!
Old 10-21-2002, 11:59 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Tower just reduced the price on the A-7 Corsair to $349! Not even a sale price, but the regular price!
Old 10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

OUR STORY SO FAR...
A-7. TEN more flights today, a total of 30. Today I necked down the exhaust duct with a styrofoam cup, trying to pick up the speed. Started with about a 3" opening( barely took off, but flew...not any faster than stock) and worked my way to maybe an inch under the stock diameter. Which gave perhaps an extra 5mph at the cost of a little takeoff power. I think the designer reached a good comprimise of torque versus speed.
I played around with flaperons, too, and they did not help the landings, just made one more thing to think about. It's an easy lander anyway.
Thirty flights all told, not a scratch, still going strong, NEVER had a deadstick. Nice airplane!
DJ3:
I flew it twice the other day with the Fantom engine(see more below) doing only 20,000 RPM. It flew nicely, though the entire flight was a fight to get fifty feet high. The handling was beautiful, though.
Following Grumman's adage, I took out the Fantom unit and put in a stock Toki 18 from the Sabre.
NOW we are talking. Plane flies BEAUTIFULLY. I would guess the top speed at about 85-90. It's got a wonderful presence and shape in the air. The only problem I had was the tail is too floppy, and I could feel it shifting during maneuvers. Some carbon fiber would clear that up. What a beautiful model, the handling is sublime...
BUT...on the second flight, I had the pipe couple burn through. Hindsight is 20-20, natch, but I probably should not have done a gear pass after I heard the engine "go loud". Should have just brought her in ASAP. I lost the engine on finals and pretty much totaled the airplane. The nose and right wing are busted. Pretty badly.
PIPE COUPLER: All of the Toki engines I have are the MKI version. The only difference between the MKI and MKII(as provided in the A7 and if you buy one with your DJ3) is that the MK1 uses a bolt on header onto a square exhaust port, that uses a silicone coupler (or tubing, as I was using) going to the tuned pipe. The MKII uses a weston-style pipe that goes over a round exhaust port with a silicone seal, held on with a spring. Which is a suggestion I gave to them many months ago. It eliminates one of the most vulnerable parts of DF systems, the pipe coupler. If I used the MKII engine, I would still have my airplane. Actually, if I had not RE-used the slightly dingy silicone tubing coupler that I did, I would probably still have the airplane, too!
I knew better than that. Getting cocky. After all, it's still a DF model, and it takes a certain amount of discipline and care to keep them running.
FANTOM 15 engine setup:
I could not get it over 20,000 revs. I think it just may be overloaded. I may try unpitching the rotor a bit. I took off the pipe and only gained 100 rpm, so I don't think the pipe was holding it back. What I have to do is set up a test rig for it and work out the pipe and fan and fuel combo on the bench. So far, no good...
Old 10-23-2002, 12:53 AM
B1Driver

Default Toki 18 thread!

Easy,
So sorry to hear about your DJ3. Is it a total loss or are their any hopes of getting it back in the air? My heart sinks every time somehting like that happens. On the other hand, sounds like that A7 is doing great!! Any hopes on retracts for that thing? I finally made it to Abilene and thier field is absolutely awsome. Paved runway...estimate it at about 300 ft long..painted lines. And the city mows the grass and does all the upkeep!! Doesnt get better than that!! I'll post pics once I get my jet and get it in the air.

Luis
Old 10-23-2002, 01:31 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Toki 18 thread!

Basically, one wing and the nose are smooshed. It will fly again, but I am not anxious to actually do the repairs, and may just put it in a bag for a while. Unfortunately, there is a big stack of black trash bags on one corner of my warehouse filled with trashed airplanes!
I don't get too upset about it. I do wish I had a few more flights before dorking it, though.
I have been thinking about retracts on the A7. I have to look closely at how to do it, where the bulkheads are, how much room...
And probably air, not mechanical. I am not a huge fan of mechanical gear. I don't think an extra four ounces or so for the retracts would be a killer.
By the way, thanks for the picture...beautiful wife, beautiful plane! Lucky guy...
Old 10-23-2002, 07:39 AM
wolfgangw90

Default Toki 18 thread!

Did you try those engine in the Kyosho F-86 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.