Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel system help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel system help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fuel system help

I may be setting up a fuel system with no UAT. What type of special anti bubble felt clunk is best for the header tank?? where can i get one.

TIA,
V..
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel system help

I have used Walbro felt clunks in my gassers but I'm not sure if that's what would be recommended for a turbine as I've only used a UAT or the MAP headers. I got the Walbro at a lawn mower repair center. It't the one with a metal clip holding the felt portion to the clunk and will obviously just clear the standard size opening of a fuel tank(other models are bigger). I've also seen it a Home Depot but it's sold as a package and comes with two other items like engine oil and something else for about ten bucks. Was about three or four bucks seperately at the mower shop .

Marty
Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Vincent

Thanks Marty, i know there are some made for our jets but can`t remember who sells them.
V..
Old 06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Isn't a UAT essentially a header tank ? You don't need a felt clunk or otherwise . Just use a central pickup in the header tank and air won't be an issue .

Marc
Old 06-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Vincent

747drvr, i may not be explaining things correctly. I am not really running a "header" tank but straight off one of the main tanks so i am concerned when the tank gets low there is a chance of getting some air.
V..
Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
747drvr

ORIGINAL: Vincent

I may be setting up a fuel system with no UAT. What type of special anti bubble felt clunk is best for the header tank?? where can i get one.

TIA,
V..
Sorry Vincent . I thought you were using a header tank . You can also use a small fuel filter element available at an auto parts store and adapt it to attach to a fuel line but the felt clunk is probably easier . I would still use a header tank unless space is a big issue . I'm using Sullivan 2oz tanks as headers in my MW44 powered planes and they take up very little space .

Marc
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Felt clinks aren't recommended for turbines. I know that some have done it without issue, however it is easy for felt particles to migrate from the clunk and plug your injectors or downstream filter.

You can make a pleated filter clunk from an automotive fuel filter. The JPO website use to have a how to set of instructions on their website. For some reason they removed it. They work great and will drain the last bit of fuel from your tank without any air. I still do use a UAT with it, which I make myself using the same filter..

See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1527831
and
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_20...olution/tm.htm

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66027.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	700107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23810.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	700108  
Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 PM
747drvr

That's the element I use . It works well but it will also shed the odd fibre . Maybe not enought to worry about though . I really don't think you need one in a header tank if you have a central pick up.

Marc
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM
SinCityJets

Use a UAT.