Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Tucano Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Tucano Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Tucano Build

Jan,

I installed the UAT for the smoke system to eliminate air bubbles and "broken smoke trails" during operation. It made a world of difference installing the UAT.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Beave, Interesting, why do you use a UAT on the smoke side? Must say I like the servo output horns that you have on the rudder - please can you tell me where to find them? Cheers, Jan.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Jan,

I installed the UAT for the smoke system to eliminate air bubbles and ''broken smoke trails'' during operation. It made a world of difference installing the UAT.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Beave, Interesting, why do you use a UAT on the smoke side? Must say I like the servo output horns that you have on the rudder - please can you tell me where to find them? Cheers, Jan.

Beave,

Thought that might be the reason - good idea.

Thanks,

JanR
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Aussie Bart

Hey Beave

How about some info on the Size & shape of your smoke nozzles and where they are pointing

Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Colin Allen

Picked up my Tucacno kit from DA yesterday. All the components including SPT5 now safely in my garage, the build begins!!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Aussie Bart

Hey Colin, need some photo's.

Also, make sure you grind a pocket at the top of the 8mm dowell for the nose wheel strut where the grub screw on the retaining collar goes, I had my nose leg drop out after rotaion last weekend. All was good with the landing , cut the turbine on short final (prop keeps windmilling) and held the nose up once the mains touched (real easy) and steered into the long grass which arrested the prop just as the nose rotated over. Only damage was the hinges on the nose doors, kissed on the proverbial d%^k.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Colin Allen

Hey Shane... thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that! Sounds like you did a great job saving the prop. They are not cheap. I ordered mine a while back from Engel - it's been sent, but I'm still waiting. Probably taking longer due to the Christmas mail go slow.

Not much to photograph yet - I ordered the plain grey version as I'm doing a custom scheme. The attached photo is what it will end up looking like. I havent taken it out of the box yet - just finishing up another aircraft and a bit of maintenance on my Ultra Flash and then I'll be right into it next week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77666.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1700265  
Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Aussie Bart

I am as green with envy as the colour of that plane, may have to build another one.

Like I said about the landing, pure luck... Prop cost is not so much the issue, it's the bent gearbox shaft you end up with..
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
docgboy

that scheme is one I considered and it looks great on the ground, but in the air you are flying a black silhouette. So I went with this.

Name:	Db84841.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1700406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71954.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1700407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67789.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1700408  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Colin Allen

Nice scheme!

That thought has definitely crossed my mind too, but I did want to go for something military. The underside is quite light so there is decent contrast between most of the the top and the underside which will assist with orientation. I guess that is always the issue with camouflage schemes - they are designed in the first place to blend! I agree, it will be difficult on a cloudy day. I have never done a camouflage scheme on a jet up until now for that very reason, but I figured if ever there was a jet to have to deal with that issue on it is this one, as it is big, relatively not that fast (compared to my other jets anyway), and easy to fly.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
bevar

A few weeks ago Jorge and Karen Escalona caught me performing a wing structural integrity test of the Tucano at the Markham Park Jet Rally.

If you were wondering if the wing, gear, gear plates wing tubes ETC are up to the task...I'd say yes...it passed with flying colors!

Beave [8D]

Name:	Pm34906.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	1701178  
Old 01-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Springbok Flyer

Hi guys,

I hate to hassle you guys again about the c of g position, but I would like to finalise the build on my Tucano with the correct position built in. Here is what I'm on about;

- The manual states '12mm in front of the span lenght panel line at the wing tip', so
- When I transfer this, which is another 11mm in front of the panel line at the wing root - because the panel line has an 11mm kink in it - it is actually in front of the wing retaining bolt position. This means that all you guys who state that your plane is balancing on the wing bolt position, is actually flying an aft c of g from the manual.

Personally I would prefer a forward c of g, so I am very interested to find out where all you guys that added 12oz to the nose of your plane is balancing. Please can one of you (the 12oz blokes only) check your balance point and give me a measurement so that I can see how much I need to 'move' stuff forward. It will also provide a reference to check against the 'wing bolt' and 'manual' c of g positions.

Thank you in anticipation.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 PM
bevar

Jan,

I'm planning on flying next Thursday with two Tucanos so if we go, I will check both. I'm flying both and my Mate's seems to have an aft C of G, even after adding a pound up front judging by how it feels in the air.

Beave

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 PM
fifou313

Hello
I m building a Tucano and I have big problem to put a really scale cockpit.
Guys do you have advice or know a shop where I can find one?
Thanks a lot.
Best regards.
Fifou
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beave:

How is your STP5 holding up ? How many flights ? Any problems ?

I'm about to order mine and it would be nice to have some feedback.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
bevar

Hi Gonzalo,

To date I have just under 50 flights and it's awesome. I have it dialed down to 167,000 and 7,750 and it absoutely spanks the performance of the other TP I used to fly. The starts are awesome with the kero setup and superior throttle response as well.

You will love it...the Jetcat SPT5 rules the Turbo Prop skies!

Beave
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Power Aviation
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mincherallen

Hey Shane... thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that! Sounds like you did a great job saving the prop. They are not cheap. I ordered mine a while back from Engel - it's been sent, but I'm still waiting. Probably taking longer due to the Christmas mail go slow.

Not much to photograph yet - I ordered the plain grey version as I'm doing a custom scheme. The attached photo is what it will end up looking like. I havent taken it out of the box yet - just finishing up another aircraft and a bit of maintenance on my Ultra Flash and then I'll be right into it next week.

Hi Colin,

You should try the gray camo, the Tucano you have on the picture is actually the Super Tucano, a longer fuselage and different shape than the Tucano tha comp-arf makes witch is the first version. Let me see If I can find any pictures of the gray scheme.

best,

Leo
Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Power Aviation

ORIGINAL: fifou313

Hello
I m building a Tucano and I have big problem to put a really scale cockpit.
Guys do you have advice or know a shop where I can find one?
Thanks a lot.
Best regards.
Fifou

This one is building mine, except for the seat

Email: [email protected]
Internet: www.noll-modelltechnik.de

400Euros

160U$ for each pilot made by Caff

http://www.maffscav.de/jetpiloten.html

Seats from Graupner

http://www.graupner.de/de/products/8...0/product.aspx

I have heard someone in US makes it all, you ship the canopy and cockpit and he makes it but I was not able to locate him. May be for my next Tucanos. I have 2 more to build.

Best,

Leo
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Gonzalo38

Thanks Beave.....

Attached picture of the grey scheme.

Name:	Ec89779.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1714395  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Colin Allen

ORIGINAL: Modellbau Brazil

Hi Colin,

You should try the gray camo, the Tucano you have on the picture is actually the Super Tucano, a longer fuselage and different shape than the Tucano tha comp-arf makes witch is the first version. Let me see If I can find any pictures of the gray scheme.

best,

Leo
Thanks Leo... I was not aware that they were a different airframe. I'll definitely look further into that, and would love to see any pics.

Cheers,
Colin

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Springbok Flyer

ORIGINAL: bevar

Jan,

I'm planning on flying next Thursday with two Tucanos so if we go, I will check both. I'm flying both and my Mate's seems to have an aft C of G, even after adding a pound up front judging by how it feels in the air.

Beave

Beave,

That will be absolutely fantastic.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Power Aviation

ORIGINAL: Gonzalo38

Beave:

How is your STP5 holding up ? How many flights ? Any problems ?

I'm about to order mine and it would be nice to have some feedback.
Hi Gonzalo,

I heard a lot of rumors that the Jet cat gear is failing, I'm thinking to get the jet central. Do you have any feedback on this problem with the Jet Cat engine?

Best,

Leonardo
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Gonzalo38

Leonardo:

I know that versions 1 & 2 from Jetcat were having a lot of problems. Now they are in the number 3 version and from what I know, it is doing much better. Maybe they still have some problems but it looks like the key is to lower a little bit the factory settings..... just like Bevar did on his turbine.

I've been thinking this time on trying the Jetcat for my new Tucano. Just don't know yet if its going to be like the red scheme I used to have or I'm going to go with the grey military version.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Fugitivo

Does anybody know if there is a tucano for gasoline engines instead of turboprop?
The thing is that I love this plane but the turboprop is so expensive...
Thanks a lot
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
bevar

Leonardo,

Jetcat is the way to go. Yes, the old Jetcats had problems but the new V3 is absolutely awesome.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Modellbau Brazil

Hi Gonzalo,

I heard a lot of rumors that the Jet cat gear is failing, I'm thinking to get the jet central. Do you have any feedback on this problem with the Jet Cat engine?

Best,

Leonardo
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
bevar

Gonzalo,

I chatted with a Tucano owner flying the V3 who has his settings at 170,000 for the turbine and 8500 for the prop. [X(] The last time I talked with him he had over 20 flights on it at those settings and everything was good as gold.

The Beila prop is only rated to 8,000 RPM anyway so I gave it a little buffer at 7750 and I dialed the turbine down a bit because I was hitting the fuel limiter with the lower prop RPM so I dropped it a few thousand RPM to keep the turbine from trimming fuel.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Gonzalo38

Leonardo:

I know that versions 1 & 2 from Jetcat were having a lot of problems. Now they are in the number 3 version and from what I know, it is doing much better. Maybe they still have some problems but it looks like the key is to lower a little bit the factory settings..... just like Bevar did on his turbine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.