Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 AM
ricardinho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

looks awesome .
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Badly needs a pilot George.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Sonicwings

Hi all,

geh3, thats the best looking XL ive seen, AWSOME, What are your tip tanks from ??? between that colour scheme, and your tip tanks, plus canopy mod,
You have me wanting one over the Elan...
PS, Whats your turbine ??? Happy with its performence ???

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Thanks, the wing tip tanks are from an old BVM maverick/bandit and are still available. I made the canopy from a balsa plug and pulling heated thin lexan over it
but Iknow that canopies from a C-ARFflash and others can be cut down as well. The XLII is an excellent flyer as are all of the boomerangs and yes it needs a
pilot but it is well balanced as it is and I hate to add any weight.
Itis poweredby a Simjet NEXUS(36 lbs thrust )the amazing thing about this turbine is that it just sips fuel!I easily get 12-13 min flights and have fuel left

for boomerang flying see>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoM-tKc-HA
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUdgVggJmn8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11vhMTOkJs

I forgot.. you can do the same thing with the Elan,,,canopy and tip tanks.....
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
gchdavid

So before I go and pull the trigger on the purchase of a NANO (dont like it nearly as much as the sprint) for my SuperBee (14-14.5lb)...

I just wanted to confirm that everyone agrees with the fact that the Sprint will not fly on the SuperBee off grass.

I'm having a real issue with the whole look of the nano vs the look and size of the sprint and can't make up my mind...I would really prefer the Sprint...I fly off a grass field though...(its cut once a week and is kept pretty short, I fly a 6-7lb model with 2-2.25" wheels and no problems)

Chris
Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need a 1:1 ratio to fly off grass, it all accords how light you can build, get the weight of your chosen airframe close to your available thrust and you can fly off anything, I had a fully loaded (brakes, air up down retracts, trainling link UC etc) Elan with a P80 in it and it flew off a grass sheep field without any problems, take offs in less than 50ft, that was a 23Lb airframe with a 19Lb turbine, I used to hold the Elan on the brakes and push the throttle to full power, when it started to slide forward, release the brakes and off she went.

What has to be learnt is how to land a heavy loaded airframe sweetly and on the spot, to many of the vidio's you see show the turbine flying past the pilot before it lands, to me it should land in the same position it started its take off run, in full size landing on the numbers was a great achievement.

Mike
Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
seravios

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My jet mentor used to tell me, a jet that flies well is a beautiful jet(no matter how ugly it is). A beautiful jet that does not fly well is a useless jet. Frankly, I dont really like the shape of sprint,boxy look. Elan is very nice. But for the sake of learning,I went for the sprint. Though it still look ugly to me, but once in the air, it is nice. Believe me. That goes to the nano too.

A jet that perform flawlessly each time u take off and land is a beautiful jet. Thats my impression.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
gchdavid

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

You don't need a 1:1 ratio to fly off grass, it all accords how light you can build, get the weight of your chosen airframe close to your available thrust and you can fly off anything, I had a fully loaded (brakes, air up down retracts, trainling link UC etc) Elan with a P80 in it and it flew off a grass sheep field without any problems, take offs in less than 50ft, that was a 23Lb airframe with a 19Lb turbine, I used to hold the Elan on the brakes and push the throttle to full power, when it started to slide forward, release the brakes and off she went.

What has to be learnt is how to land a heavy loaded airframe sweetly and on the spot, to many of the vidio's you see show the turbine flying past the pilot before it lands, to me it should land in the same position it started its take off run, in full size landing on the numbers was a great achievement.

Mike
Hmmm...Thanks for the reply.
ln
What about the wheels, should I go 3" to help rolling on grass? what should I expect for a top speed on a Sprint that weights 15lb empty and about 17-18lb loaded with fuel with 14-14.5lb of thrust?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

If you fit fixed gear and keep it light, the the sprint will fly off grass with a 14lb turbine, 3" wheels is also better that is what I have fitted to my Intro.
I am presently flying mine with a turbine producing only about 12-13lb as my Wren is out for repair, it still takes off grass no problem but a bit sluggish in the air as far as a jet goes.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 AM
seravios

Xairflyer, what is the simplest method to check the full thrust of our turbine(with the turbine in the airframe)? I hv never tried before, but keen to know how you guys did it. THanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Xairflyer

First of all you wont get a manufacturers figure, and there are lots of variables like jet pipes etc.

What I have done is to do more comparing than look for actual thrust figures, although would relate to some extent to installed static thrust.
Simply to tie the model to firm post on a flat surface, I use my hanger floor and a RSJ upright ! Fitted on the rope is a spring balance or the digital version scales, then just open it up and read the scale.

Some of the digital ones will record a max, some are a pain as they need a stable pull/weight to lock on, the old mechanical spring balance is hard to beat and accurate. You want it turned sideways so you dont have to be in the blast to read it.

We used to do this a lot in the ducted fan days when messing with tuned pipes etc.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
gchdavid

I was definitely thinking about retracts just not bulky ones. Instead I was thinking of just having simple wires. I will keep the "smaller" tank and perhaps get one of those clunks that eliminates the need for a UAT. The plane will be built light and with no un-necessary stuff. With the engine being so light if I install it forward in the rails it should balance out with no extra weight just by moving stuff around, at least that is what I've seen on this thread. I know a few guys are flying with 12lb thrust simjets on this airframe on this thread so I am hoping mine flies pretty good on the smaller engine.

Any input on expected top speed?

Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Dreamworks makes a nice retract set for this plane.....
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With a P80 @20lbs I am getting an average of 140 mph flat and level if that helps.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

gchdavid
Hi
I been following the thread for a couple weeks now. I just got my Sprint from Patricia a week ago.
I now fly a Elan, I had a Intro and piled in a XL a few years ago.
These Jets are the best on the market........

Only my opinon....... 12 lb turbine is WAY underpowered. It would be good enough for a intro. NOT A SPRINT....
It is understandable that you have a 12 lb turbine laying around. I don't think you should put it in a 18 lb turbine jet airframe.

Again.... I been flying Boomer's for years. ONLY MY OPINION

Hoss
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
gchdavid

I was referencing the 12lb turbine because I saw somewhere in this thread that someone was flying it on a simjet 12lb turbine.

My turbine is rated at 14lb and most people that have actually tested have found it does between 14-14.5 most of the time and is the lightest engine in its class (1.8lb) so it should end up pretty light. Would that be too little?

I have read many times that top speed isnt as relative to thrust as vertical performance...so if you can get 140 on a 20lb turbine Im guessing 125-130 on mine isn't necessarily a long shot...

Still undecided... :/

Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Xairflyer

Again I would have to say Alan has gone backwards with the design if it wont fly with a 14lb turbine, Bring back the intro, if it's not broken don't fix it !

One of our guys has a intro with a P80 and uses standard wire 'spring air' retracts, and he never seems to have any problems with them so a good light weight option.

Actually a wren 54 powered intro with fixed gear, flys better, will fly slower, lands slower and takes off shorter than a P80 powered retract version. Only advantage a P80 has is faster.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
chris1971

My Sprint flies well with an older P-80. I fly off an asphault runway. Never flown it off grass but my 19# of thrust shouldn't be a problem. I don't think you would really enjoy a sprint with 12 or even 14 pounds of thrust. The great thing about these airframes is the non-pucker factor of flying one. I'm afraid if you had that little thrust the pucker factor would ruin the fun. I would definantly go with the Nano under the circumstances, it would just be more enjoyable and relaxing to fly.

If the Nano flies as well as the Sprint, who cares what it looks like. They say my Sprint looks funny but we all love watching it fly!

Chris

Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
ricardinho

like i said before i would not fly the sprint on anything under a p70. i would recomend a turbine in the p80se class with fast spool . fast spool up is a plus for a new guy getting into turbines who need to do go arounds without problems..
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
seravios

having a more powerful turbine is advantages in many way. And more fun to fly. Come windy days,u will know what i mean.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
gchdavid

Ok...I have made up my mind on not getting the sprint...

Now I am debating between the Nano...or a completely left field Yellow Stingray...I know its a misile...I've flown fast before as well as ducted fan airplanes...knowing me...I will probably go with the Nano.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Chris......
The Nano is the PERFECT plane.
I have not flown one , but if it flies like any other boomerang,,,,,,, You will be happy.
As I said in a earlier post. there is no better turbine jet than a boomerang.
A 12-14# turbine in a Nano is going to be fun.............. TRUST ME

Enjoy

Hoss
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
gchdavid

I don't doubt the flying...I have seen them and watched videos, I know it flies great.

The only reservations I have is the fact that the fuse is, unlike the Sprint, very boxy and ends abruptly at the rear in a wall. The other thing is that if I'm building a jet I want it to perform like one and I want it to be fast...of course I can later change to something else.

Besides this I love how the nano flies and the fact that its so user friendly.

Any input on top speed with my super bee on a nano?

Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Xairflyer

Other solution is to look around and pick up a second hand Intro
Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
seravios

I am running old P80 on sprint. I kept a GPS onboard, it logged 240km/hr at full thrust. I feel a Nano with a better thrust to weight ratio will do much better than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.