Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHARK203
Ok how much throw do you have on your surfaces? Once i get the nose gear fixed i can balance the plane and possibly get it in the air. I dont want it going in the ground on the first flight if i can help it.
As much as you can get on aileron and rudder, I think about 70 mil on elevator but I'll confirm for you.
My Migs nose gear collapsed twice during taxi tests filling the cockpit with hydraulic oil, took a lot of work to get it right. On the Mig 29 as you know there is so much weight on the nose gear as its right back under the cockpit. I also cut the springs in the mains to lower the rear height as it had a negative A of A. This also relieves the nose of a little weight too and helps with rotation.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:49 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I did not bother with ailerons, just the taileron as per the original, still handles really well with nice roll rate. Used max travel possible for both pitch and roll. As Levi has found twin JetCat 140s give excellent performance.

I explained the the technique for dealing with an engine failure just after lift off in last RCJI, it handled it really well with those big fins. On reflection it could probably have coped with even more power than I used if the speed is kept up and rudder is fed in as soon as the failure is recognized.

Really like those exhaust nozzles of Campano.

Great flying machine!

David.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Levi Wags

David I do have even more confidence in the Mig after your single engine experience.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM
gustavo Campana
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last top gun i flew my mig29, from take off to landing with just one engine, a jetcentral rabbit, 10 kg.

this machine is really incredible, light, and no problem to fly with one engine,

gus
Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Levi Wags

Here is my Mig up close Chris. I got mine half built from a friend here in OZ. He had done a brilliant job solving some of the issues with the kit already but i still had my work cut out finishing her off. I finished the build then painted and weathered it myself. Its an ongoing project with some more details yet to add. If you need any more photos let me know i got heaps.

Levi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 23.JPG
Views:	2264
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	2209494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 24.JPG
Views:	2194
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	2209496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 26.JPG
Views:	2390
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	2209500  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome thanks for the pics Levi, great looking jet for sure.

Im curious about the main gear. I've seen a couple of these jets now with the main gear looking like it's spreading out. It's supposed to be vertical. Is there a problem with the mounts or something twisting in the fuse?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 AM
Levi Wags

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Awesome thanks for the pics Levi, great looking jet for sure.

Im curious about the main gear. I've seen a couple of these jets now with the main gear looking like it's spreading out. It's supposed to be vertical. Is there a problem with the mounts or something twisting in the fuse?
If the mains are mounted completely vertical they won't clear the fuse during retraction. I spent a lot of time trying different positions to improve the sit but that's the best I could get mine.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM
David Gladwin

Strut angle is critical to ensure correct retraction.

My Mig is currently grounded as the main struts have bent outwards on the last landing, which was perfectly smooth.

I have new struts to replace them, not fitted yet, and I will let you know what I find when I fit them.

Perhaps the the early struts were made of softer material than the later ones.

David.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
gustavo Campana

I solve the problem to mount main paralel legs. There are one possibility.
You has to start mounting a piano wire inside the axle hole on mains gears, cross both mains, after that's mount the legs on the main landing fuse mount, mounting the system to the fuselage with epoxy, the epoxy will absorve the difference between the fuse mount and the correct position.... Sorry my English. The point is.... Fuse main plywood mount are not correct....
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Understood, I will look at this issue when my gear arrives.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Levi Wags

Originally Posted by gustavo Campana
I solve the problem to mount main paralel legs. There are one possibility.
You has to start mounting a piano wire inside the axle hole on mains gears, cross both mains, after that's mount the legs on the main landing fuse mount, mounting the system to the fuselage with epoxy, the epoxy will absorve the difference between the fuse mount and the correct position.... Sorry my English. The point is.... Fuse main plywood mount are not correct....
Gus the problem with mine wasn't the angle of the plywood as I could fix this by spacing out the mounts with washers to adjust the angle.

The problem was the arc that the leg swings on during retraction won't clear the fuse if vertical. Have you fixed yours yet and do you have a pic of what you've done?

Thanks Gus
Levi
Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 AM
hemi

Default Landing Gear Question

My Mig is kit 18 and was complete with the early hydraulic system including the cylinders without locks. I missed out on getting an updated set from CARF. Is there any simple method to mechanically hold the gear in the down position while the model is on the work bench. It would make it easier to work on if I could keep it on its feet. Can I buy the locking cylinders anywhere? I've sent emails to Hausi but didn't get any replies. I suspect a phone call would be better.
Thanks
John

Name:	my mig.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2209893  
Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Per Strommen

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hemi,
During my build I removed the cylinders and installed steel rods of the right lenght. A round of locking wire will keep the cylinders compressed too. No available info on the locking cylinders, sorry.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Craig B.

The other option is to put a ball valve in between the nipples on the cylinders...open to change position of the leg and close it to lock them in place. Levi is right about the clearance issues with the main legs. I tried to get mine as close to vertical as I could but they are not perfect. Gus, your building suggestion is a good one thought for getting the legs aligned well. Will try that on my next one.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 AM
hemi

Levi
Did you get your Mig from Ro? I knew he sold it before he moved but wasn't sure who got it.
John
Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Levi Wags

Originally Posted by hemi
Levi
Did you get your Mig from Ro? I knew he sold it before he moved but wasn't sure who got it.
John
Hello John,

No I got mine from Peter Agnew, the owner of Intairco here in OZ.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:31 PM
hemi

Your plane looks great. I bought the carbon doors from Peter very nice parts.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Craig B.

I still reckon this mig is the best looking plane out there....sooo much better looking than the sukoi
Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 PM
hemi

I'm building an Su at moment so I really like them both
Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by Craig B.
The other option is to put a ball valve in between the nipples on the cylinders...open to change position of the leg and close it to lock them in place. Levi is right about the clearance issues with the main legs. I tried to get mine as close to vertical as I could but they are not perfect. Gus, your building suggestion is a good one thought for getting the legs aligned well. Will try that on my next one.
Remember, if you connect the two nipples with each other you cannot move the struts from one extreme end to the other. This is because of the space variation within the cylinder caused by the presence, or absence of the piston rod.

Forcing them may lead to a burst pipe and a mess. Been there done that !

I dont think the the real Mig has truly vertical legs, mine does not.

I am not at home at the moment but will check angles on return.

David.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 AM
Per Strommen

For inspiration and comparison.

Name:	4294697.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2210036  
Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 AM
David Gladwin

Yes, Per, I make that about 1.5 degrees angled out with wheels virtually parallel to struts so slightly cambered. ! It's about where my Mig was, before the struts bent. It was achieved on my kit without adjustment !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 04-16-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:00 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wish i could get the retacts to suck in enough in order for the main door to close all the way. Mine pinch out and leave about a 1/4" or a bit less gap.
Who sells the after market doors.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM
David Gladwin

You might be able to get them from Peter Agnew at Intairco. He moulded some in carbon fibre,
www.intairco.net.

David.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM
gustavo Campana

ok, one by one,

i m using on my old composite arf kit, and add some valves from HP-Tech Pumpen für Modellbau und UAV's and work perfect. must to add some valves at the cilinders....

about my mig main legs and wheel....work perfect. and fit perfect inside the fuse. really i spent weeks to find the perfect point, to find it, i had to open the 3 holes on the aluminum mounts at plywood fuse,
and make with smalls plywoods spacers..... as i told you, i used a carbon fiber 6mm tube crossing wheels axle, (be sure the legs has smalls screws so you can disasembled complete ,up down, spring. sicsors...
patience.......
check both legs must be paralel and like 4 o 5 degres to front.......
mount the aluminum mounts to the leg with some soft adhesive or tape or rubber bands... to keep legs and aluminum togheters.... now you has both legs parales with the carbon tube in betwens axle hole, slowly fit the aluminum mounts to plywood fuselage, and check holes with holes on plywood.... slow.... and check where you need to add some plywood ( 0.5 to 1 mm). you will find.....
as soon you arrive, fit at least one screw on each aluminum.
NOW... if you has this step done.... now you has to check if the wheels fit in the fuse..... for thats..... take out the carbon fiber tube , add the axles in each leg. slowwwww.... remember you has one screw and small plywood betwen plywood and alumiunm leg base......
as soon work..... add 5 minute epoxy with charge .. betwen the aluminm base and the plywood.......
add more screw..... done.......

sorry my englishouthamerican....... i hope you understand......

tomorrow will send photos about my work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.