Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Congrats on getting your kit! How does it look? Well my jet guru has laid it down, this may simply be tradition driven, but use the big 8711's on the stabs! The rest is up to me.
Sorry about the scale nonsense, apparently the 74" wingspan CARF Hawk is a different scale than the Fei Bao 74" wingspan Hawk... Still funny though! I'm not going to get a ruler and measure a real Hawk either, I'm a CARF guy now (I don't trust those Fei Bao guys)... I promise I'll stop now.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I only saw pics of it since I'm out off town till probably Jan 2013, but my buddy who picked it up sent me some pics with it still in the box. no damage at all.
I know everyone recommend the 8711 and I dont have absolutely nothing against it, I'm just wanting to go with something that would have more features with the Radio I use. according to the Spec Sheets the 8711 is 403oz/in and the 9075Sb is 425oz/in so if all is accurate the Futaba is a tad bit more. so basically my debate is would the futaba hold up to its specs. since i have not owned either JR or futaba high end servos before all I'm looking for is advice from those that have experience with both brands.

When talking scale I dont think Carf intentions was for a scale hawk from day one, but for a Sport every day flyer that looked like a hawk but flies like a sport plane. Even like that the plane can still be detailed to scale specs with some work like we have seen earlier in this forum.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 AM
husafreak

Futaba makes nice servos! JR has the edge for popularity. If specs are similar you should be fine with either. Use those high powered servos on the stab at least, probably overkill on the other surfaces. Glad I'm not a scale guy, you could go crazy with the details!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kenrico, The Futaba servos are fine. i would also use a high torque servo on the rudder for knife edge flight.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got to maiden mine yesterday! All I can say is WOW. What a stable platfom. The first flight was a bit shaky as the aileron throw was a bit too much for me even with 30% expo and I had one main that got caught up on the door so I flew most of the flight with the gear down and we had a decent crosswind. Just needed a few clicks of aileron and she was hands off. I added 1 oz of lead in the nose for the second flight as it felt a bit "mushy" through the turns although that was probably due to the gear down. Dropped the aileron throw to 80% of the original and raised the psi on the gear. Second flight was great. Gear retracted, felt tight and stable through the turns and the landing was better than the first. I don't think I ever felt so comfortable or confident on a second flight with any plane. Got it a bit too slow right before touchdown and it was still stable. I have some video of the maiden. It's a bit shaky and the landing wasn't pretty. Might be getting some video of the second flight and some pics. Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing ideas and giving support and to Dave W for answering all my questions and PM's. Can't wait to start flying it regularly in the spring.

Marty

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWjk6Hevqeo[/youtube]
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your maiden!

Yes they are very stable! Did you have no flaps set on that video? Just looked a bit fast.. but hey you got it down ok :-)

Alan
Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Marty,
Congrats on your maiden, it looks like I'll be waiting until spring for mine,snow has started to fly[X(]
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Congratulations on the maiden Marty.

The landing looked fine to me.

How much delay did you set between the gear and doors?

Stan
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
afterburner

Thanks guys,
Funny Alan. If that landing was without flaps, I could have done a true harrier landing with full flaps

Rich, hopefully we can do some formation flying in KY next year.

Stan, I'm using a UP-2 valve on the mains as I had one laying around and it's scale for a T-45 to have the doors closed with the mains down. They cycle pretty quick but it's a little longer than on the Hawk as the doors have to open first before the gear come up. I usually pump up my gear to 90psi on my other planes. For the second flight I pumped them to 105 which worked. I may try and speed them up a little more.

Marty
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Marty

Good job. Looked like a rough cross wind, not the best for a Hawk with huge fuselage and fin, you did well to put it down so gently. 100-105PSI is about right on the Hawk, the leg doors are angled out quite a bit. The way the UP valve (which I love) works the sequencing should be fine if the gear actuation is not tight.

Any aeroplane with gear down, but especially the Hawk is horrid, so flying in good air and a clean model will show you how great it is.

Dave
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 PM
afterburner

Thanks Dave,
Yes the gear actuation is very smooth and loose. When I've had the wing on the bench upside down, they pop up before my compressor hits 20psi. I don't think they will be a problem. Like I said, the second flight with it all cleaned up, definitely inspired confidence. Can't wait to get her in the air again.

Marty
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on the maiden Marty - the second flight was much better. The Hawk really seems to fly well, even if its a bit on the "ugly" side...

Bob
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM
afterburner

Aw no you didn't [>:]
Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 AM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

.... even if its a bit on the ''ugly'' side...

Bob
Navy T-45 scheme "Ugly"...[X(]

Those are fighting words!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 AM
husafreak

Congrats on the maiden! What a sweet plane. I was looking for the Carf Hawk wing bags from POP on the Motors and Rotors site but they are not listed. Are they still available? I have to order the dummy flaps covers and so hoped to get the one piece bag too. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
afterburner

Thanks Husa. Even though I've probably only had about fifteen total minutes of stick time on it, I could tell, as you say it is a "sweet plane".

I have some video of the second flight. The landing is not as smooth as I thought it was but the gear really take it well. I'l just say I was aiming for a scale carrier landing while dropping it hard to catch the third cable. Please ignore the fact I have no tail hook.

Marty

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPr0fcFymu8[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73878.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1824265  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
husafreak

Awww, I would have been happy with that landing! ask anyone, I can fly the snot out of anything but it is amateur hour once I'm in ground effect, LOL. I am looking forward to posting my own "hero shot" on this thread. Were you in the Navy? I was USAF...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
afterburner

No, never had the honor of serving.

Looking forward to seeing your shot on here and thanks for your service.

Marty
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Marty! Congrats! Looks like it'll be eating out of your hand in no time. CARF Hawk been on my wish list for awhile now! Good job and can't wait to see it in KY
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

Marty! Congrats! Looks like it'll be eating out of your hand in no time. CARF Hawk been on my wish list for awhile now! Good job and can't wait to see it in KY
Hey Jim,
You need to get one of these..........There is a TON of room inside for your install!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 AM
ela

Glad to see everyone are enjoying their Hawks. I have had min for three years now and its still getting better. I did something "interesting" the other day. Smaller and smaller circles at about 60% power until it eventually snapped. It did what it was supoosed to, the outer wing stalled and it continued nearly in a stragiht line with som drop in height.

But have anyone tried a spin? The right way, starting with stalled wings and rudder? How is it recovering and procedure? Throttle or only rudder or what?

Happy landings.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 AM
afterburner

Thanks James. Looking forward flying it in KY and pitting next to you and Dan. Any haircut plans for KJ 2013

Marty
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
husafreak

Happy day, I just scored a used Cheetah with only 17 min bench time for my Hawk. My diabolical plan to rule the local airways is another step closer to reality
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: ela

Glad to see everyone are enjoying their Hawks. I have had min for three years now and its still getting better. I did something ''interesting'' the other day. Smaller and smaller circles at about 60% power until it eventually snapped. It did what it was supoosed to, the outer wing stalled and it continued nearly in a stragiht line with som drop in height.

But have anyone tried a spin? The right way, starting with stalled wings and rudder? How is it recovering and procedure? Throttle or only rudder or what?

Happy landings.
Ela

I did some spin testing way back when I started flying the manual Hawk, not done many since as it looks wrong! Inverted spins are cleaner, I remember upright spins speeding up/slowing down, it was not a nice spin like the Flash, but balance will affect the overal behaviour. Normal recovery with sticks centred, few seconds to build up speed adding power and fly out.

Dave
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 AM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: husafreak

Happy day, I just scored a used Cheetah with only 17 min bench time for my Hawk. My diabolical plan to rule the local airways is another step closer to reality
Good deal but I think the FAA beat you to it on that ruling the airways thingy.

Marty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.