Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UAT Position

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UAT Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default UAT Position

I've seen a lot of UAT positioning. Which is the best position and where??

Hector
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: UAT Position

ORIGINAL: hmarmaizmd

I've seen a lot of UAT positioning. Which is the best position and where??

Hector
at a slight angle where the two parallel fuel lines (fuel tank and fill line) face up.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where ever you have a spot where you can monitor it. You don't want it 5 meters from your fuel pump.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
E.N.T.

Hi! Andy. Then why I've seen a lot of guys placing it completely upright if the pickup
tube doesn't extend all the way to the back??

Hector
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: hmarmaizmd

Hi! Andy. Then why I've seen a lot of guys placing it completely upright if the pickup
tube doesn't extend all the way to the back??

Hector
space limitations usually. It will work completely upright. In fact I have one in my F-16 that is completely upright. What you dont want to do is lay it down on its side (even with the fuel lines on top.

You defininetly want to be able to see the lines to check on them for air bubble leaks while running if possible. I always use clear lines on fuel for this reason.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Hector,

If you orient the UAT as Andy indicated, then when you refuel the model thru the UAT, you will displace the air bubble (with fuel) out of the UAT and thru the tank system. If the UAT is vertical and you refuel thru the UAT, you'll be starting with a bubble in the UAT already as you've noticed (under the screw-on cap). I don't think it is necessary to have all the air out of the UAT, but I'd say that less is better.

I orient mine as Andy states, whether it is a UAT, or a similar tank with a centered fuel filter...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

ORIGINAL: Ron S

Hector,

If you orient the UAT as Andy indicated, then when you refuel the model thru the UAT, you will displace the air bubble (with fuel) out of the UAT and thru the tank system. If the UAT is vertical and you refuel thru the UAT, you'll be starting with a bubble in the UAT already as you've noticed (under the screw-on cap). I don't think it is necessary to have all the air out of the UAT, but I'd say that less is better.

I orient mine as Andy states, whether it is a UAT, or a similar tank with a centered fuel filter...
Hi

I wonder to know, why the UAT is not as similar as a fuel tank, with a flexible hose with clunk that pick up fuel from its bottom?

If all the tanks and the one that works as UAT are filled full without air, why is needed an ultimate air trap? While this tank is full, being feeded by the other tanks, where is going the air come from?

Guillermo
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
AndyAndrews

It would if your clunk had the same type of bubble removal medium or similar as a UAT. Some people do this and it seems to work fine.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

It would if your clunk had the same type of bubble removal medium or similar as a UAT. Some people do this and it seems to work fine.
The big difference with UAT then is that with a clunk, you can use all the fuel in the tank just in case.... of course you are going to flame out but in case you need 30 or more seconds of power......

With UAT you can use only 3/4 of the fuel-..... I really don´t know if with a 4 Oz UAT, for a P-80, 1 Oz (1/4 of its capacity) of remaining fuel will give you 30 seconds of flight before a flame out.....?

Guillermo
Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

The big difference with UAT then is that with a clunk, you can use all the fuel in the tank just in case.... of course you are going to flame out but in case you need 30 or more seconds of power......

With UAT you can use only 3/4 of the fuel-..... I really don´t know if with a 4 Oz UAT, for a P-80, 1 Oz (1/4 of its capacity) of remaining fuel will give you 30 seconds of flight before a flame out.....?

Guillermo
mine will suck dry with the UAT.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no way a clunk will follow the fuel in a 4oz header. It would be best to mount a fixed pick up in the 3 dimentional center of the tank, even this way i believe you can get air if the tank goes 1/2 empty. With a UAT the perforated bladder type pick up it would work even if 1/2 the fuel is gone and still not draw air.
V..
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

ORIGINAL: Vincent

There is no way a clunk will follow the fuel in a 4oz header. It would be best to mount a fixed pick up in the 3 dimentional center of the tank, even this way i believe you can get air if the tank goes 1/2 empty. With a UAT the perforated bladder type pick up it would work even if 1/2 the fuel is gone and still not draw air.
V..
Got it

No more questions about UAT, at least from my point o f view.

Mine is installed exactly as Andy said in post No. 2

Guillermo
Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. Many flights this way
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21466.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1192860  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
E.N.T.

I've always placed mine slightly upwards as per instructions.
Just wanted to get some input as to other positioning and,
reasoning behind it.

Hector