Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CEN Genesis VS Savage 25

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 PM
sovietspyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CEN Genesis VS Savage 25(in reply to jefx)

I'm not saying it's a bad truck, it looks pretty sweet to me, I might even consider getting one. Just wondering how they kept costs so low. And I still am unsure about that bumper. Think of jumps...a few bad landings and....well I guess the suspension components would be given a good run for their money.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it really comes down to the bumper not sticking out far enough, how hard would it be to fabricate, or use other R/C bumper mounts?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: CEN Genesis VS Savage 25

post deleted by moderator
Old 02-05-2004, 12:43 AM

my other post was not flamin just a idea to try

about the bumper mt MT2 lost its bumpers on day one all they did was cover the front of the chassis mine has found itself nose first into a brick wall form a good clip and i havent broke anything pliers wont fix
Old 02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
SH ByA

Per CEN the motor in this truck is NOT a Heli motor, it was designed as a car motor for this truck. So if this is true then you should not be compair it to the other trucks with Heli motors.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:22 AM
mecky33

Soviet, like I said, Cen does not outsource part production. This allows them to manufacture parts inhouse and also do their own R&D. by doing that, they are not paying a middleman for the basic parts of the truck. It is also true that Cen manufactures parts for other companies. This is how they got started in the business. Then a few years ago, the decided to offer RC products instead of just making parts. And once the ball got rolling they realized that they could sell their RC's for much less because they didn't have the additional cost of outsourcing.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Dale Gribble

What???

Mecky, outsourcing is for the most part always cheaper!

Let's take an aluminum chassis for example.

If CEN manufactures the chassis-

CEN has to maintain a MFG plant, pay the MFG employees, pay disability, pay dental/medical, overtime, vacation, including management, bring in the raw materials, have all of the machining tools and equipment, lathes, etc, pay for all consumables, etc. etc. There must be a shipping/receiving staff, quality staff, inventory staff, etc.

Let's not even get into injection molding, aluminum casting, etc., etc.

I can speak from experience that outsourcing if applied correctly is MUCH cheaper then bringing the ability to work the products in house. Rather then pay all of the above, you pay for the materials, the machining, and typically a razor thin markup from the contract manufacturer. Contract Manufacturer's profit margins are always razor thin.

Contract Manufacturing is cheaper by far.

CEN is cheaper for one reason- if an MT2 cost as much as a Savage/Maxx, it would be killed in a direct comparison. As a business strategy, CEN built the truck as cheap as possible to provide not a direct competitor, but an alternative to the big boys and introduce Nitro RC to those that didn't choose or couldn't afford the $400-$500 models.

I wouldn't be surprised if CEN wasn't selling the MT2 for a loss or just to break even, just to get distributed more.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Nitroaddict

I agree 100% with the above statement
Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 PM
mecky33

Cen does not outsource because a majority of the major RC manufacturers outsource to them. So Cen can make their own parts while the other manufacturers are paying for those machines and worker benefits.

My other question to you is why would Cen get killed in a direct comparison to a Maxx? Its just as fast, more durable, and just as easy to work on. Cen also provides top notch customer service and support. I did the comparison before I bought my Cen and came up with the Cen being as good a truck if not a better truck for less money. Cen has also proven in recent races that a stock or slightly modified Cen truck is very race worthy compared to the competitors trucks. I have talked to Cen about the pricing on their products and they have told me that their prices are lower because of their manufacturing abilities, and the ability to do complete in house R&D. But, you guys are entitled to think that Cen is a cheap company with poorly built trucks that can't hold a candle to the competition. I challenge you to run one though, and do a real honest to goodness, no bias test of any Cen product. I am sure that you will find it is way more than you expected for the price you paid.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Dale Gribble

I am not knocking the MT2 Mecky- I know it is probably a good truck. I am not saying it would get killed in a truck vs. truck shootout either.

I am speaking in the forum of public opinion. Assoc., Traxxas and HPI basically dominate the market. I bet for every MT2 sold, 5,000 MGT's, Savages and T-Maxxes sell. Have you heard of Traxxas and HPI? Sure have. Have they been very efficient at garnishing aftermarket support? Sure have. Are they in every single Hobby Store I have ever been too? DEFINITELY. I have never even seen a CEN in person and I frequent about 5 hobby shops down here. No one supports it, no one sells it, and no one here has aftermarket parts for it.

If a Hobby Shop brought in an MT2 with a $400 price tag, and plopped it next to the Maxx or Savage, it wouldn't stand a chance. I can't tell you why- strong marketing, product awareness, hopups. Maxx, MGT, and Savage are the must haves. Savage/Maxx/MGT are bread from successful well known companies. CEN still needs to make a name for itself.

Traxxas/HPI/Associated have a wide well known success and appeal
CEN is a niche company and product right now trying to make a name for itself.

I will not buy a CEN. It does not appeal to me at all. I wish them luck, I hope the Genesis is a tremendous success, and CEN makes a name for themselves. I stand on the sidelines with my mainstream trucks awaiting the outcome of CEN's new product.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:32 PM

i think the NT-16 and the torq .16 are one and the same from outsourcin the hopup head 4 the NT-16 also fits the torq .16 i say CEN once made engines for duratrax
Old 02-05-2004, 01:49 PM
mecky33

Dale, I can tell you why the Cen wouldn't sell when sitting on a shelf next to the big names. Its fear of the unknown. When people buy something like an RC they refuse to try something new. Also you have many new people walking in to a hobby shop and asking what truck to get. And every time the guy they ask will recommend their favorite truck. If the person says they cant afford it, then attention in a sale goes down the tube. I had this happen in five different hobby shops when I was looking for information on different trucks. Every shop gave me a different truck to look at, and in a few of those shops I started arguments over what truck was better. As soon as I mentioned a budget, I was left standing at an empty counter staring at boxes. The other funny thing is, I mentioned Cen in a few shops and there was one guy that would chime up in a sea of blank stares and go "Oh yea, I have seen that truck, its cheap but really good. If your on a budget get that." Anyway, Cen is on the way up and they are selling more vehicles than ever. I hope to see them among the top names in the near future.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM

that changes when they see it run and see it do what the big3's trucks can do just as well mine will wheelie if i push it backwards first too much squat in the back u know and i still run the NT-16 i myself got mine on ebay where ther is no lhs counter guy to influence u can get just about any part 4 any truck there no matter its age or number of parts i say if u are gonna get a MT go to ebay and in the gas powered section the first MT that pops up is a MT2 that will get more MT2's out there
Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Dale Gribble

Mecky, You are one die hard CEN customer, and I respect that. Whatever they have done to make you such a believer, I am impressed. I haven't heard anyone stand behind their trucks and defend it as much as you. I hope CEN lives up to your expectations, for you, the loyal consumer.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: 378

that changes when they see it run and see it do what the big3's trucks can do just as well mine will wheelie if i push it backwards first too much squat in the back u know and i still run the NT-16 i myself got mine on ebay where ther is no lhs counter guy to influence u can get just about any part 4 any truck there no matter its age or number of parts i say if u are gonna get a MT go to ebay and in the gas powered section the first MT that pops up is a MT2 that will get more MT2's out there
I can't follow this response. It just runs on and on with no punctuation.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 PM

that means u dont need an lhs to buy a CEN product o and ill stand by mine and defend mine as much as mecky does
Old 02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

378, your posts really are hard to read, they make me dizzy. Most of the time I really don't know what you're trying to say.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Dale Gribble

Default RE: RE: RE: RE: CEN Genesis VS Savage 25

I just totally disregard his posts period.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:33 PM
mecky33

Dale, I am a diehard Cen fan because of the quality, reliability and customer service I have gotten from them. I bought my truck used from a kid that didn't really know how to care for a nitro. He incorrectly installed a boost bottle, did not temp the truck, beat the crap out of it, and added parts to it that where not made for it. He bought hop-ups with no regard to performance, and did no regular maintenance. And I bought and ran that truck for a month before I had any problems. at that point I found out that the incorrectly installed boost bottle nipple on the engine block was causing a serious air leak and no head gasket that was causing a second leak that was overheating the engine. I worked with Cen to correct the problem, ultimately sending the engine to them. They replaced the carb and carb seat for free and tested the engine before sending it back. I ran it for a month and started running in to issues similar to the air leak. I also started noticing a lack of performance and dificulties starting it. I called Cen and before I could completely explain the problem, the told me to send my engine back to them for replacement. So, even though I bought the truck used they worked with me to correct the problem. And because they didn't completely correct the problem the first time, they replaced my engine for me as compensation.

The truck has proven its self to be very durable since I have had it. I slid sideways into a tree stump at about twenty miles an hour and only bent the shaft on my integy shock. I have nailed a few curbs at high speeds and have yet to break anything. I have somersaulted it four or five times and again, no broken parts. The two things I have had to replace that where my fault where a shock end (again it was an integy part), and my first gear spur. The spur blew because I didn't loktite the clutch bell stud on the engine. And the shock end I broke when I came off of some small boulders in my yard and landed on the right front tire at an angle. So, through everything I have done as a novice nitro driver, it has taken all the abuse I can dish out and I haven't had to dish out any cash to keep it running.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:27 PM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

I agree with mecky the mt2 is such a great truck once you ACTUALLY get to drive one in person it sure does beat the crap out of a t-maxx on track and street, before i got it i was a little skceptical just because it was not as well known, before this i got i was considering a duratrax maximum mt pro, thank GOD!! i did'nt and regarding your post 378 about the t0rq and nt 16 being the same I am sorry but that was totaly useless because you could also put pretty much any small block head on the nt 16, no they are not the same engine cen is way above in quality than duratrax. IMO
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Fatal_Liquid

Default RE: CEN Genesis VS Savage 25

is cen a gret company in rc or savage or traxxas
Old 11-12-2004, 10:26 PM
neil.jb

2 things,

1) i didnt understand what you just said, take the time to read over your posts and make sure they make sense before you hit the post reply button

2) why the hell did you drag up such an old topic?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:12 PM
mr-rccrazy

ORIGINAL: Fatal_Liquid

is cen a gret company in rc or savage or traxxas
HUH??????

I don't even understand what you mean, Savage is not a company..... the savage is made by hpi. lol
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 PM
meetball

so, whats better? now im thinking of which i should get...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:50 AM
RC30GTR

The Genesis .hands down... savage is a nice truck but its oridnary. just like any other truck in the mareket. Genesis is 30% larger, with 3 times the engine size, 3 speed, reverse, FM radio...etc why would you even cosndier savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.