Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone own a Warhead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 AM
spacoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Warhead

So speed for me I don't think will be a factor. Is there a way to increase the speed as I gain experiance other than a motor change? What about the turning radius, should that be a problem?
Can that be fixed, adjusted or something like that.
I do like the idea that the motor won't be as stressed, and will probably last longer, am I correct in saying that?

I do like what I'm reading about the truck and it looks to be built tough.
there seems to be only minor problems so far and tower hobbies are all ready stocking parts for it.

This is going to be a gift for xmas for my son and will not be running it until spring, to break it in properly in the warmer weather. By that time I should see more parts availible for it and more feedback on any problems people are having.

Do you think I should give the Warhead a try?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

spac, I've heard that the bulkheads on the t-maxx are very weak, and break a lot. If you buy the t-Maxx(this is a freaking old MT design) replace the bulkheads with aluminum ones. I think you would probably enjoy the Warhead more, since you can bash it, break it, and you don't have to pay
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 AM
wyd

spacoli the turning radius isn't a huge problem and in general (not all trucks) have a bigger turing radius than lets say a offroad buggy. I ran mine at are indoor offroad track and it got around the track pretty well. Turning was not a big problem. Would I like it tighter.....sure but again not a huge problem.

If you didn't get one yet and live around the Harrisburg area or need one shipped to you I know a shop that has one in stock for a nice price. Bumps and Jumps has the truck in stock. 7171-932-3000 and ask for Chris. Just tell him WYD sent you as he knows me pretty well.

If you live close to Harrisburg no need to wait til spring to break the truck in as you can run it at the indoor offroad track during practice nights. Its a little cool but will have no problems with break in at his facility.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

in defense to dtx their stress tech deal works out well, i sent them warhead stuff and got it back in about a week - not bad for free!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Wide Open

what did you send them? maybe i can get replacements for those just in case. then i can take advantage of the stress tech deal.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Bill Plude

Oh, Oh, speaking of Bulkheads...LOL. Hi Elite. I just came back from what was going to be my final break in period. My front wheels weren't turning. The last time I had it out, I kinda ran it into a concrete wall at about a 45 degree angle (ice factor, doesn't steer well at speed), but I was able to back it up and drive it to me at my car. I didn't notice anything wrong then. Well when the front wheels weren't turning my son, said Dad what's this? oops the front drive shaft was hanging out! Broken Bulkhead! Not only was the right bulkhead broken, all 3 of the Left bulkhead screws had the heads broken off!!!! Cool thing is how easy it was to take the bulkhead out of the truck.I remember when I broke my 1st TMAXX bulkhead (2nd day I owned it, LOL) that was a pain in the bootocks. I hope somebody comes out with aluminium ones soon, these seem very weak because they have 3 screw holes in a place thats not very thick to start with. Maybe there's a way to beef them up. Click here for a few pics

[link=http://www.75th-meu.com/warheadbulkhead.htm]BrokenWarHeadBulkhead[/link]
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Wide Open

owwwww.[:@] at least you said itll be easy to fix.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
elite

Bill - concrete wall LOL......um, OOPS!

sent that puppy to dtx - totally send you a new one. I dont think they are weak I think the concrete was just a bit tougher lol. My track is rock solid and ive landed a few iffy ones myself but thats NUTS I never expected to see that

Bill let me know how your ST replacment goes

Im un AAWWWW NICE ONE!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Bill Plude

Yep, concrete wall. You see there's this loading dock where Bill "the guy with all the cool toys" volunteers and I was running in the parking lot, showing off for a bunch of the guys standing against the rail on the "Viewing Platform" and failed to make the turn! Well you guys know how cool it is to turn with one of the front wheels in the air! LOL It just doesn't turn as sharp as a REVO or TMAXX especially with the slick blacktop..........You don't think there's much give in concrete elite?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM
FE_Chris

I think elite's just saying concrete is harder than the plastic on your RC....Go figure huh
ORIGINAL: Bill Plude

Yep, concrete wall. You see there's this loading dock where Bill "the guy with all the cool toys" volunteers and I was running in the parking lot, showing off for a bunch of the guys standing against the rail on the "Viewing Platform" and failed to make the turn! Well you guys know how cool it is to turn with one of the front wheels in the air! LOL It just doesn't turn as sharp as a REVO or TMAXX especially with the slick blacktop..........You don't think there's much give in concrete elite?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:30 AM
elite

Bill I woulda been out doing the same thing I wasnt at all insinuating anything honestly....sounds like you put it to the test to see what it can do. Damage looks bad but really a bulkhead ...hot a big deal. tmaxx bulkheads break when you look at them lol.....

Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Bill Plude

I hear ya elite, 2nd day with my 1st RC truck, TMAXX bulkheads, both front ones, head-on into another concrete structure. Same parking lot, showing off again. 1 day experience with RC anything, 3 tanks of fuel through the truck, full speed into the seeement. Everything seems different when you're looking at it from the side. LOL. My 1st investment $150 for 2 pair of aluminum bulkheads (still there today after many many impacts). I don't think it'll be long before the aftermarket stuff will be coming.

Once again though, it was a pleasure removing the bulkhead from the WarHead compared to the TMAXX. I've done a lot of TMAXX bulkheads (only one of my trucks has the aluminum and my oldest son used to make a habit of nose diving the other and the wife put one of the EMAXXes under the wheel of my old Buick at full throttle too. OH yeah, landing on the back bumper, sure...rear bulkhead in a TMAXX, oh what fun!!!!!!!!! Oh, the Buick was parked, but the E was so jammed under the tire we couldn't push down on the shocks enough to get it out, had to put the car in neutral and push it backwards.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Wide Open

ive been finding mine pretty easy to work on also since ive been adjusting things. im becoming a master at removing the engine and fuel tank because ive had to do it several times.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Bria1

It looks like the February 2006 issue of RCCA will have a review of the Warhead. I should be getting mine in the mail any day now.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM
spacoli

Hey wyd,

I picked up my (son's) Warhead today. We where checking it out and noticed that one of the front tires rubbed (just one spot not the whole tire) on the metal peice that the turnbucket attached to. There is only maybe 1/4 clearance there.

The guy at the shop tried to see what the problem was and it seams like the tire was just a little deformed at one spot and buldged out. He just swapped one on the rear with the front and it was good.

My question is will this cause any trouble with vibration or anything like that?

Is this normal to see something like this?

I ride mountainbike and I know that tires don't come out perfect and it away have a little imperfections. I hate when it's the front tire I aways think my rim is bent.

Do you think if I contact Duratrax they would send me a new tire?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Bill Plude

If the tires are glued right, I doubt you'll find much problem. It'll probably be fine once you get the tires spinning and centrifugal force moves the foam inserts inside the tires.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 PM
spacoli

He did break the bead loose and reglue the tire, it was still the same. He did say that I might have been from the truck sitting in one positon at his shop. That didn't make much since to me, there can't be that much weight for that tire to buldge out in one spot. Then again I'm new to this so I don't know anything about them. I did think that once I started running it that the tires would get tall and skinny from the centifucal force like you said and probably not rub. You do have a good point about the foam inserts.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Bill Plude

Did you see how he broke the bead. I've heard of a couple ways but they aren't that easy. I know the one that works for me is boiling the hell out of the tires. I'd like to know how he did it or what he used while you were there. If there's an easier, not smelly way, please tell me. In fact, anybody got any other easy ways?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
spacoli

He did it with his hand, that's all I can tell you. I do remember him saying I wonder what kind of glue they(Duratrax) used. He told me he would give me a bottle of glue he uses. Now I know why he give it to me. so i guess I should expect to be re-gluing the other three tires.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Bill Plude

Thank you. If he broke the bead with his hand, I wouldn't suggest any kind of rough driving (even hard turning, I'd think) on the stock wheel/tire set up without first redoing them with some good CA glue.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:42 AM
elite

When talking to DTX about the tire so close thing, they mentioned that the glue job has to be good from the factory or else they could potentually rub the steering plate. Its to close for my taste but they said if it rubs a little its no that big of a deal. I was having trouble finding a good fit for wheels/tires for the track myself - 40 series do fit fine though and so do 1/2 offset wheels.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:43 PM
spv1425

Well I ran my truck this morning again. It's really starting to run smooth and fast. Granted it's only 30F here in RI. I was blasting down the street and saw a car coming. I swerved to go into my driveway and the front left tire hit the a small patch of frozen snow. The truck flipped over, nothing too harsh, it was going very slow. I noticed it seemed a bit cockeyed. I looked down and saw the front drive shaft on the ground. Upon further inspection I noticed that I too broke the front chassis bulkhead. I also broke the receiver cover, as the screws for the bulkheads go through the cover of the receiver box as well. Maybe it was because it's cold out, but didn't see too harsh a crash to break such a bulky piece. I was running with the top off as I'm still breaking in, so the crash also bent the roll bar/handle a bit. Oh well, I guess she's broken in now. Unfortunately the LHS didn't have any parts for the warhead yet. He also seemed a bit miffed I didn't buy it from him, he said he couldnt' understand why people buy online when his prices are the same. I said, tax on $400 bucks my friend and last time I was there you didnt' have one. Moral of the story, seems like an extra set of bulkheads on hand would be beneficial.

Just looked up part in the manual and bulkhead's are not StressTech parts even though they are plastic, figures! Good thing the antenna tube is coverd though. :-(
Old 12-17-2005, 03:45 PM
elite

ya thank god the antenna tube is covered lol

bulkheads I would imagine wont break but its cold - and I think a few of us here who have broke woulda broke any other rc with the similar impact. I know if you call dtx they will prob hook u up.....they have been pretty good to me overall, give them a shout monday. Parts are avail to order though you should be able to get anything within 2-3 days.
ORIGINAL: spv1425

Well I ran my truck this morning again. It's really starting to run smooth and fast. Granted it's only 30F here in RI. I was blasting down the street and saw a car coming. I swerved to go into my driveway and the front left tire hit the a small patch of frozen snow. The truck flipped over, nothing too harsh, it was going very slow. I noticed it seemed a bit cockeyed. I looked down and saw the front drive shaft on the ground. Upon further inspection I noticed that I too broke the front chassis bulkhead. I also broke the receiver cover, as the screws for the bulkheads go through the cover of the receiver box as well. Maybe it was because it's cold out, but didn't see too harsh a crash to break such a bulky piece. I was running with the top off as I'm still breaking in, so the crash also bent the roll bar/handle a bit. Oh well, I guess she's broken in now. Unfortunately the LHS didn't have any parts for the warhead yet. He also seemed a bit miffed I didn't buy it from him, he said he couldnt' understand why people buy online when his prices are the same. I said, tax on $400 bucks my friend and last time I was there you didnt' have one. Moral of the story, seems like an extra set of bulkheads on hand would be beneficial.

Just looked up part in the manual and bulkhead's are not StressTech parts even though they are plastic, figures! Good thing the antenna tube is coverd though. :-(
Old 12-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Bill Plude

My bulkhead will be in Monday, since the right and left have the same #s I'm sure they come in pairs. If I'm lucky the next one I break will be the left, at least untill somebody comes out with the alum. ones (lets go you aftermarket guys!!). I was looking at my broken one and it is broken through 2 of the 3 screw holes. I think it might have been a better idea if they had staggered the holes but its too late for that. I still like the truck. Picked up my servo saver parts today (ready if and when I break it...LOL) and a new S&T fail safe for it.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Bill Plude

I was just putting in the new fail safe and yes reciever box is broken too, so is the front skid plate (2 places, front and rear on the right side). LOL. I have to admit though, I think it is the most intense impact I've had.

OOPS, not front skid plate, center skid plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.