Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone own a Warhead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Warhead

I dont know how much of a problem the warhead has rolling over, but that happens quiet often with my current brushless stampede. So I am wondering how well does the warhead handle rollovers compared to the other MTs out there?

From pictures alone the insides of the warhead look very well protected compared to a savage and the Tmaxx/MGT being the least protected.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 PM
wyd

ORIGINAL: spacoli

Hey wyd,

I picked up my (son's) Warhead today. We where checking it out and noticed that one of the front tires rubbed (just one spot not the whole tire) on the metal peice that the turnbucket attached to. There is only maybe 1/4 clearance there.

The guy at the shop tried to see what the problem was and it seams like the tire was just a little deformed at one spot and buldged out. He just swapped one on the rear with the front and it was good.

My question is will this cause any trouble with vibration or anything like that?

Is this normal to see something like this?

I ride mountainbike and I know that tires don't come out perfect and it away have a little imperfections. I hate when it's the front tire I aways think my rim is bent.

Do you think if I contact Duratrax they would send me a new tire?

Thanks
Glad you have your truck and that the dealer fixed the problem for you. You more than likley won't have a problem with the tire being switched around. The vibration might be present but with big tires and good treads they semm to all have a little bit of tire wobble but has not affected my trucks in the past.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:48 PM
wyd

I did get my parts to fix my broken steering arm. Man they where really cheap so that is cool. I have yet to put it on but will be doing so later this week.

eilite I think we where talking and you broke the same part? How many screws to take the front end of the truck off....any idea? I just have not really looked at it so thats the only reason I'm asking.

Thanks
Brian
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

wyd -

super easy....

take off the front skid - its 1 longer screws into the tranny - 2 short ones in the saver - and 2 on the sides closer to the bulks. Once you get those 6 off - you can easily see the saver setup (and adjust it while your in there), get to the drag link easily and basically once you have the skid off its just a remove/replace with new. Super easy - I gotta say from working on a savage once - the "drop out the bottom" design is killer. Itll take you all of 15 minutes.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
spv1425

I just removed the front end off my truck today to repair my broken Front Chassis bulkhead, I couldn't believe how easy it was to work on. You just remove the bolts off the shocks, then take off 6 screws, three on each side of the vertical chassis plates and the whole front end comes off the truck. I only removed 10 more screws, 2 clips and I had the bulkhead off. I have nothing to compare to as this is my first nitro MT, but it was pretty easy even for a novice. :-)
Old 12-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Bill Plude

Hang on spv
Just looked up part in the manual and bulkhead's are not StressTech parts even though they are plastic, figures! Good thing the antenna tube is coverd though.
check that manual again look behind that DTXC6827 (Front Bulkheads) and you'll see a little ST (StressTech). What I'm going to do is payfor the ST parts that got broken when the wall jumped out in front of my WarHead (Bulkhead & Skid Plate) then send in the broken ones so I have spares. More STUFF to put in the spare parts box with the servo saver set, I'm ready when it happens to me, Thanks guys!!!!!

Hint: It's good to have stuff on hand....get yourself a set of bulkheads for your spare parts box so you don't have to be down a few days (or even extra hours if your LHS is far away) waiting.....
Old 12-19-2005, 04:33 PM
wyd

elite thanks for the info. I'm going work on it either late tonight or Tuesday one I get off work.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 AM
MudbugnTX

I e-mailed duratraxx and asked them about any improvements to the bulkheads. I asked them if they would build aluminum ones or possibly offset boltholes in later models. They told me they are looking into possible changes but have not made any plans as of yet to change the bulkheads. I am hoping an aftermarket company jumps on the bandwagon.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:11 AM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

You mean like RPM.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Wide Open

ive tumbled mine twice now and havent broken anything, but then again the tumbles were only 2 or 3 flips.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 PM
spacoli

Wide open,

What break in procedure did you use for your Warhead motor? In the past day I have been reading alot about different break in procedures for motors and I don't know which way to go.

Edit: I asked you on the other thread (seen the Warhead) but you had no reply.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Wide Open

sorry i didnt reply. our internet in our vacation home is very slow and cuts out. (20kbps) anyway, i just followed the break in precedure in the manuel. 5 tanks at the recamended needle settings. then i just tuned it for performance and its been running strong ever since.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:05 PM
SavMT

Gonna always be a risk when buying a brand new truck that hasn't been put thru it's paces by the general public yet... On a positive note in 6 months time you'll have fixed everything needed to be fixed, and upgraded what needed upgrading and you'll know the truck inside and out when most people are just buying them...
Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 AM
wyd

Sometimes a new truck has growing pains thats for sure but at the price of what these cost I almost can buy two of these compared to other trucks. Parts are going to break on occasion since these trucks are big, heavy, and fast. That is a pretty painful combination for the truck to endure!!!!!!!!!! I did break a steering piece but it was about 40 out when I hit the pipe at the track so I'm usre the parts are little brittle.

Overall the truck has many nice features for bashing and I would say some track days to. I don't think it will ever be a great race truck though but thats my opinion. I use mine for some bashing and messing around at out local track but I won't be racing it since most of are trucks that run are race truggies.

I think if are track ran a true Monster Truck class for (Warheads, LST's, Savages, and other trucks similiar to these) that racing them would be fun and pretty equal. I think 2 classes are needed. A true Truggie class and Monster truck class. That should take care of all trucks. Even the small blocks like the TNX, T-Maxx and Revo would run in momster truck. I have a TNX and it runs equal to all big block monster trucks except true truggies like the new Jammin and Lightning
Old 12-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Bill Plude

YES!!!! I just got back from breaking part #74 the lower servo saver part...LOL. I hit a bank of snow that the plow had left. The lower edge where it was like ice. Good thing you other guys had broken that part before because my RC guy is closed for the Holiday, but I bought the part a couple weeks ago and have it on hand!!! I'll fix it now but Monday I'll go down and see if anyone has metal ones that may fit without too much effort. I'll post if successful or not.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:58 AM
wyd

Bill........lol. Great you had the part. I order two packs so I still have another spare if I break mine again. I will say it was easy to fix as Elite mentioned. A few screws off the bottom front skid plate and I was in. It took about 10 minutes or so the fix the problem and be ready to run again.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:18 PM
elite

You guys owe me cause I told ya to stock them parts LOL. JK. Glad the fix was quick.....where are all the other warhead owners....now that tower has em in stock though maybe we will get a better following. I may still sell mine, lol....I dont keep RCs more then a few days hahahaha.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:54 PM
spv1425

Elite, don't do it, don't sell the warhead. I just finished my third tank in my Warhead and it's really starting to scream. It's just beginning to shift into second gear consistenently. Haven't messed with it too much tuning wise except had to richen the low end due to the cold in the Northeast. Still running it a little on the rich side. The temps are falling into place now, before I would get over heated very easily and see temps in the 300-400 range in just a few minutes. It would run around 250, then all of a sudden spike up. Now it's running around 250-270 for almost a full tank. I'd say it's running around 30MPH at full speed right now, about the same as my electric 4-tec. For some reason at a high speeds the steering goes squirily sometimes, could be radio interference, not sure. I'll have to try it in a big parking lot somewhere to see.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:29 PM
rcagp

I have been reading about this Part#74.I found this number on Tower-DTXC8876,is this the part that is breaking ? I am ordering a Warhead Tuesday.Want to have this part on hand for replacement. Thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Bill Plude

Yep, thats what you want. I'm picking up another set tomorrow with my center skid plate. If you do break it save it send it in for a free replacement, it's covered by the Stress-tech guarentee, or do like me and wait until you get a bunch (maybe I shouldn't be running it in sub freezng weather?) and make it worth the postage. LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 PM
spv1425

Hey Bill, you were correct, my bad. The bulkheads are covered by Stress Tech, though I already relplaced them. I'll be sending the broken one back for free replacement along with the lower left bell crank I broke today. My truck is just about broken in, ran around 6 tanks through so far. Had a small accident today trying to jump it for the first time, check out my [link=http://media.putfile.com/Warhead-Series---Breakin30]video[/link] . I'm no expert driver so I'm still honing my skills. I'm sure the cold still has something to do with the plastic parts breaking easily, we'll see when it gets warmer out. I'm just about ready to start tuning it up for speed now though it's getting faster every time I run it and the temps have come way down, runs around 270F now.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
elite

spv - that vid didnt work for me Id love to check out your truck though - c how it runs! 270 is optimal but I would say I noticed the same thing - higher temps to start and lowering temps but needed to be around that mark to make power.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
choops01

Got my new warhead last week. new member too.
I have not run it yet too cold.
Moved the shock mounting to the top inner hole on the shock towers.
feels a little softer. I may make new towers a little taller.
I have been looking for ways to reduce the weight of the truck.
Removed the roll bar (top of engine is below the shock towers) and took off the second fuel tank (will see how it runs). I have also replaced many of the Phillips screws with stainless button head screws (ace hardware $6).
I am going to try and turn the steering rack around (sweep forward) to get a better angle on the connecting rods. May get more steering out of it.
Any other ideas to try and reduce weight.
Steve
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Wide Open

i think im beating everyone with over a gallon through my warhead! lots o' fun. the engine does settle down and run consistantly at around 250 to 270 after a while.
but the real reason im posting is that i noticed where the cv driveshaft connects to the differentail my pins are almost completly worn through on all four of them. anyone else having this problem? sorry i cant post pics right now the internet at our vacation home is too slow. i will in about a week, though, ive got some really good ones going off the ramp i made. anyways, ill probably contact duratrax as it may be something they need to look into. its definatly not an area to use soft metal.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

I just ordered one today. I am a GS airplane guy and want to try something different. It is too cold to fly here in WI. I also ordered a couple of extra parts you guys suggested. Keep the posts, pictures and videos coming.

Take care,
mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.