RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone own a Warhead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Warhead

Wow this post goes so fast It's hard to try to answer all the questions and then ask some!!!

The servo saver problem sucks. The guy from DT did tell me tho to send all my parts to stress tech not only to get free ones, but also because they look at how mnay of a part are returned. Then they can asess if they have a real problem or not. So let's all not be hasty about it and make sure we send for free parts!!! I am gonna return everything from rod ends to whatever else is covered.

The truck kinda sucked at the track for me sunday. It would not steer and I don;t know why. I gave it some toe out and it seemed to make it really bad. Then I broke a rod end and had to use a Maximum ST rod end and they do not thread quite right, So I had to glue it, it held but it's short. So My steering is all messed up. I need to figure out what ackerman is and what else I need to do to get this thing to steer sharp. I race on a short track, so I HAVE to have good steering.

I will call DT back tomorrow I think and see if they can send me some parts cause I am kinda really disapointed with this thing. I mean DT touts it as the be all and end all of RC monster's and it does nothing but break bell cranks on us.

Don't get me wrong I really wanna like this truck. It had many good points to it and most of it seems to be really tough for being pretty much all plastic. I for one am not giving up. I got a great deal on this truck anyway, and I have some parts and such. I have the warranty through stress tech and have pretty much any spare part that might snap at the track.

I wish they would help us.....that freakin "tech support" guy made me so pissed off. It's like thanks a lot man. You know nothing about RC trucks obviously. When I asked him for some advice on getting it to steer better, he told me that I would have to just play with it and find out what works. I mean come on, I was looking for him to tell me to move the ackerman one way, and give it some of this, and a little of that. But nothing. Just a "hey, thanks for the call, but your stuck with it now" atitude.

Alright i'm done
Old 01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Spicoli,
It is definitally coming from the clutch. My spur gear looks fine also.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
spacoli

Run on is LSN too lean, need to richen according to the Warhead manual. I had that happen, got it straightened out. I set my LSN to the pinch test. I'm sure it can be fined tuned for there if you have continue run on.

As for the bogging I beleive that's a lean HSN, need ot richen that also. I'm just going from what I have read. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
FE_Chris

Yup. I think so. I ruined a engine doing that. Had the HSN set to lean and it would rip for a few seconds then bog down and wanna stall. It was a 160$ 24.7 pro "lesson" I shant ever forget.
ORIGINAL: spacoli

Run on is LSN too lean, need to richen according to the Warhead manual. I had that happen, got it straightened out. I set my LSN to the pinch test. I'm sure it can be fined tuned for there if you have continue run on.

As for the bogging I beleive that's a lean HSN, need ot richen that also. I'm just going from what I have read. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Wide Open

doesnt it say what adjustment does what in the manuel, though? so maybe you never needed to call tech support. the only reason i would call is if some part kept breaking repeatedly, which so far hasnt happened to me. other than that i adjust my truck how i want it. its really a matter of personal preferance.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:33 PM
FE_Chris

Dude, the steering servo saver plastic parts are breaking repeatedly. I have broke 2 and am on my 3rd. The only reason I have not broke this one is becaise I put it on, and put the truck on my shelf. I have run the truck 2 times. Both times a steering servo saver plastic part has broke. .............they need to update it.
ORIGINAL: Wide Open

doesnt it say what adjustment does what in the manuel, though? so maybe you never needed to call tech support. the only reason i would call is if some part kept breaking repeatedly, which so far hasnt happened to me. other than that i adjust my truck how i want it. its really a matter of personal preferance.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
mikerc

We need an aluminum servo saver part. I am trying to fix one now. I don't have any left for repair. I am using JB weld. Then I wrapped it with Kevlar thread and jb welded that. Probably won't hold but I have nothing to lose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93533.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	385175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10670.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	385176  
Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
mikerc

I think I will wrap the new one when I get it with kevlar and see how it does.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Wide Open

i still think its strange cause i havent broken any of those parts and ive tumbled it several times.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Bill Plude

Anyone notice anything here? Broken part...MI & WI. Not Broken after several crashes AZ...May as well add me MA
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
FE_Chris

your trying to tell me the warhead is breaking cause of the cold? I bet it is. But I hope not. I like indoor nitro in the winter!!!
ORIGINAL: Bill Plude

Anyone notice anything here? Broken part...MI & WI. Not Broken after several crashes AZ...May as well add me MA
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
buffmeadows

Mike,

I know this sounds overly simplistic but is the tension nut on your servo saver screwed all the way up? It may not be allowing the arm to flex in the crash.

So far I have had to re-tighten every bolt on the truck as well as loosen others. So it wouldn't surprise me if something like that was the culprit. I had the opposite problem, my servo saver adjustment was WAY too loose and it would hardly steer without engaging it.

When I have time tomorrow I will write up my entire experience with the truck so far. Lots of good advice can probably be gleaned from my rookie exposure.

The great thing though is that each time I figure out how to correct a problem the truck just gets better.

Another thing. I stupidly allowed my 11 year old neighbor to drive the truck a couple of days ago, he streaked out of my field (where I TOLD him to stay) and crashed head on into a 500lb+ bush hog tractor attachment going about 30 mph.

The truck looked totally destroyed! It was laying there all lifeless and crooked looking.
So I took it inside (after running off that kid) and got to work.

After only about 15 minutes, I had the entire front module removed and apart.
EVERY part broken will be covered under the warranty! Plus, the total cost for the parts is gonna be under $20!
If I would have had the parts on hand, I could have been back out and running in less than an hour.

I'm pretty sure that if I had had that impact with my old TMaxx, I'd still be trying to identify the body.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
mikerc

I know the reason is because it is cold, but it is very miner of a roll over or flip. I could see launching it but that is not the case. WEAK PART! I will fix it though.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 PM
mikerc

I had it turned on maybe 3 turns. It was very loose. I really think it is because of the cold weather. Tomorrow I will try my kevlar arm. I ordered 4 sets of servos saver this morning. Hopefully I will get them befor the weekend.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:42 PM
WeekendRC

Duratrax posted this about the spur gear... [link=http://www.warheadmt.com/downloads/dtxd68-addendum.pdf]Spur Gear[/link] The high idle from the factory may be causing the clutch to over heat.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Wide Open

everbodys having these problems ive never had, first the steering linkage, and now the spur gear! both of those are fine on my truck.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
ashburg

Update...

I finally got my Warhead cranked last night...I had to lean out both needles way lean to get it to crank. I'm also holding the controller in one hand, while pull starting with the other, while holding the car down with my left hand lol...I have to hold the controller because It won't crank unless I have the throttle about 1/10th of the way open.

Once cranked, I have run-on and a high idle at low end and it bogs at high end - will adjust and make richer as previously advised - thanks Spacoli

Also, I'm hearing that the small tank may be the culprit for the flooding after a run...it is apparently overly pressurizing and flooding the carb. I'm going to remove mine and will report what happens. May add a filter while I'm at it. Any comments/observations on the small tank issue?

After reading several posts in several forums about the chronic plastic part breakages going on here, I've just resigned to not beating this particular truck up too much with radical jumps - at least until duratrax comes out with some more robust parts (wonder if that'll happen)

ash
Old 01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
lukskywalker

Warhead Question,

Im ordering my warhead today, but I am also order rechargeable batterys for the radio. Does anyone know if there is a charge plug in on the radio to charge the batterys instead of taking them out all the time?? And if so does it say what voltage?? would it be 12volt since it takes 8x 1.5 volt AA???
Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 AM
mikerc

Yes, there is a charge jack on the tx. Standard tx 12v.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
ashburg

Secondary Fuel Tank: Well, Direct from the guys at Duratrax, the 2nd fuel tank is not an issue as far as flooding and inconsistancies in fuel pressure. I don't know whether to remove it or not now...anyone care to comment?
ash
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
mikerc

I ran mine this morning with my fixed servo saver and yes it worked. I ran mine without the second tank and I am going to put it back on. Seem to run better.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Sir Chopps

Had a bad flooding and tuning problem here. The tube from the carb up to the aircleaner would fill up with fuel and saturate it after a run. Replaced the carb with one off of a savage ss and in runs awsome now, also the flooding is totally gone now. I believe that bad needle seats in the carb are letting all the excess fuel pass by both when the truck is running and not. I believe that this is why so many people are having trouble tuning it.

I also had the black flakes around the clutch bell. after about 7 runs mu clutch was totally worn down to the springs. Replaced it with a 3 shoe savage cluch and the prob is gone.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 PM
lukskywalker

where did u get a 3 shoes clutch. I've only seen the 2 shoes at tower hobbys??
Old 01-11-2006, 03:08 PM
spacoli

My clutch is also wore down to the springs after 7 tanks. I wasn't sure if it was bad, but after your post, I guess it is. How about a part # or link for those 3 shoe savage clutch. I notice I had allot of slippage, but I thought it was the slipper clutch that needed tightened.

I have a DT replacement clutch coming, but from the sounds of it, that won't last long.

Thanks for the post, good info.

Edit: DT is out of the servo saver parts, go figure!

Edit again: Can I solder a pigtail off the RX pack that I have coming, run it out the battery case
and use it as a charger jack? So I don't have to open up the case to charge everytime.

ORIGINAL: Sir Chopps

Had a bad flooding and tuning problem here. The tube from the carb up to the aircleaner would fill up with fuel and saturate it after a run. Replaced the carb with one off of a savage ss and in runs awsome now, also the flooding is totally gone now. I believe that bad needle seats in the carb are letting all the excess fuel pass by both when the truck is running and not. I believe that this is why so many people are having trouble tuning it.

I also had the black flakes around the clutch bell. after about 7 runs mu clutch was totally worn down to the springs. Replaced it with a 3 shoe savage cluch and the prob is gone.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
mikerc

Yes you can solder a pigtail off of the battery. That is what I did.

Well today I ran the Worthead 3 times. My Kevlar-JB Weld servos saver works great. I broke the string on the pull start. So, I pulled the motor. The clutch just fell off. No e-clip or washer on motor. Clutch in worn to the springs. I have the idle set low enough that it wasn't moving but didn't do so till the 7-8th tank. I will get a replacement from the hobby shop tomorrow. I am going to take the engine in and have a 3 shoe clutch, washer, e-clip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.