RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Cen GST 7.7 or MGT 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 AM
CrazyMento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cen GST 7.7 or MGT 8.0

kbreese:

If you read the CEN Forum, revopgrs's problem and others has been address by Team CEN member Andrew. Again, a new setup did fix them up. I dont know what is the meaning of CEN's post but again, they already addressed it and help the owners in the CEN forum with that same questions about a million times already. Myabe they should post here at all.. lol...

just FYI, Every single .28 engine is advetise as 3-4hp. thats not far off from 5hp in .46. So i guess every single engine in the word is false advertised?

Enough with that crap , Cant we just focus on the good sides of RC and what they are made for and enjoy it?

vge - well said thats the spirit
Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 AM
kbreese

Being a long time automotive enthusiast with a 450hp Corvette Z06 in MY garage, I am well aware of the whole dyno thing and how they are certainly not 100% due to all the variables. I am also well aware of the fact that manufacturer's inflating claims is certainly nothing unusual. However, you are talking about 5hp compared to 1.6hp. Thats a HUGE difference. Its far less than 50% of the claim! Take my car and dyno it 100 different times, and you will NEVER see anywhere near that big of a difference. Maybe 5-10% variance at the most.

And no power is not everything, but it certainly is a significant factor! You need to realize that these forums are here to discuss these things. Anytime someone points out some numbers or results relative to power are you going to come back everytime and say who cares long as you're having fun? That is a pointless point. For starters, it's relative to what they personally deem as important to having fun!...as well as spending their money wisely. If you pay $500 for a 5hp truck and get a 1.6hp truck, or even a 2.6hp truck instead, thats a valid concern! Maybe you don't personally care about these things, but other's do!!

Furthermore, you are actually contradicting yourself saying who cares as long as you are having fun, yet want to bash someone if they care about power and speed b/c you think they should only care about competitive racing results at the track? Maybe for them their "fun" and priorities is basic acceleration and bashing. Who are you to say thats wrong?

You are the one that is not getting it my friend, and I get the unfortunate impression that you are someone that will never get it. Some of us may be "noobs" when it comes to R/C racing, but it seems you are a noob at life.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:36 AM
CrazyMento

i know what you meant but unfortunely, Rc car isnt full size car. THis issue has been discussed so many times that its stupid.

Just ignore the background, gas, attitlude, differnt dyno and so forth... its actually very simple... open up ANY magazine and look at it.

CEN .46 - 5hp -
HPI .46 - 4.8hp
Any .28 - 4 hp - 1.2 the most
Any .21- 3.0+ hp - less than 1hp
.12 - up to .15 hp - but only .5 or so
AE 5.0 - i am very intersted to find out what they will say

Yet, everyone kept saying CEN .46 is not 5hp bu what about all the others? CEN is the only one false advertise while all others are telling the truth? Not likely. Its either all or nothing. The numbers above says it all, it doesnt get any simpler than that. This is what i am trying to tell you. You can argue and look at #s all you want but but i will recommend you focus on the true performance of the vehicle and overall value for the price. you dig?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

EDIT - Nevermind...

Anyway, when people tell me having a Ferrari is just a "unit-extension" for insecure people to feel better about themselves, I always imagine myself being the last person in the world.. I'd still want a Ferrari for the thrill of driving it - the sound, the speed, the feel.. Bragging about it with my golf buddies or at the office, or showing it off by parking illegally in front of the restaraunt would mean nothing to me - I would want it for the feeling of driving it...

And if my 1.2 hp RC truck engine is fun to drive, but your RC truck engine has 1.4 hp, well good for you - have fun.. It's just unfortunate that so much energy is wasted arguing about it when the 1.4 hp guy comes along talking trash cuz his truck has .2 hp more... Or bragging, putting other people down, etc etc.. What a freakin' waste..

I think this new MGT looks like fun - that huge engine must be fun to drive... I couldn't care less though if it has 1hp or 8... (as far as the manufacturers go, everybody knows they all lie and inflate numbers.. The vid I saw of it moving was more convincing to me than any dyno results would ever be...)

I'm no expert, but I'm sick of hearing about all the dyno tests.. There are a lot of other factors, whether for racing or bashing.. If what works for me works for me, then who cares how much hp it has?? Til somebody comes along talking trash cuz their engine has .2 hp more...
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 AM
ttoks

i know what you meant but unfortunely, Rc car isnt full size car. THis issue has been discussed so many times that its stupid.

Just ignore the background, gas, attitlude, differnt dyno and so forth... its actually very simple... open up ANY magazine and look at it.

CEN .46 - 5hp -
HPI .46 - 4.8hp
Any .28 - 4 hp - 1.2 the most
Any .21- 3.0+ hp - less than 1hp
.12 - up to .15 hp - but only .5 or so
AE 5.0 - i am very intersted to find out what they will say

Yet, everyone kept saying CEN .46 is not 5hp bu what about all the others? CEN is the only one false advertise while all others are telling the truth? Not likely. Its either all or nothing. The numbers above says it all, it doesnt get any simpler than that. This is what i am trying to tell you. You can argue and look at #s all you want but but i will recommend you focus on the true performance of the vehicle and overall value for the price. you dig?
CEN .46 claimed-5hp-1.58HP
HPI (hot bodies) .46-claimed 5 HP- not tested
any .28 claimed- up to 4 hp-average 1.7, best 2.4 (wow)
any .21 claimed- up to 3hp-average 1.3, best 2.4 (even more WOW)
.12's are making up to 1.2 hp
AE .50 claimed-1.8hp (doesn't seem all that outrageous eh?) never tested.

CEN isn't the only one false advertising, not by a long shot, but they're making up the worst lies.

what people miss though is the OVERALL power, peak power doesn't win anything unless your doing bench wars.

the funny thing is, back in the 60's and 70's many car manufacturers toned down there power rating's...
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
blackrain

Im so sick of this thread, there is no rtr truck that puts out the torque of the gst 4.6 except the new mgt 5.0. I speek from experience i run a .28 in my nemesis. I had to go out and spend $400.00 bucks for a hot mod nova to push the weight of this beast.
I ran a lrp spec 2 and 3 and none of them moved the weight of the truck like the stock engine did. i had to lower my gearing at the clutchbell reduce, the weight of the vehicle to get simiular performance of the stock motor with the 55 series wheels on it. i have a picco 28 i will be putting on it next and if that doesnt move the truck the way i want i will put the nova back on it. When you look on Cens website in there racing setups you will see every time they raced these trucks with a .28 on it they were always Rb and Novarossi .28 and they were modified.
Because those motors modded provided you with simular torque and more topend than the stock motor
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: blackrain

Im so sick of this thread, there is no rtr truck that puts out the torque of the gst 4.6 except the new mgt 5.0. I speek from experience i run a .28 in my nemesis. I had to go out and spend $400.00 bucks for a hot mod nova to push the weight of this beast.
I ran a lrp spec 2 and 3 and none of them moved the weight of the truck like the stock engine did. i had to lower my gearing at the clutchbell reduce, the weight of the vehicle to get simiular performance of the stock motor with the 55 series wheels on it. i have a picco 28 i will be putting on it next and if that doesnt move the truck the way i want i will put the nova back on it. When you look on Cens website in there racing setups you will see every time they raced these trucks with a .28 on it they were always Rb and Novarossi .28 and they were modified.
Because those motors modded provided you with simular torque and more topend than the stock motor

It takes torque to move a 17+ lb concrete block of a truck. That the 7.7 CEN does have, it just doesnt have any top end.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: blackrain

You do mean 7.7 and 8.0 right.?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 AM
ttoks

umm blackrain you do relies that the stock engine doesn't rev anywhere near as high as a hot mod nova.. so yeah your gonna have to gear it down with the nova...

you want torque everywhere then 4 stroke engines are the only solution, no two stroke have a better power band the a 4 stroke, i don't remember the name but there a company that makes a 1.2 CI 4 stroke rotary valve plane engine that would move the CEN a treat...
Old 12-29-2007, 01:05 PM
kbreese

Crazy - if they all inflate their numbers like 75% than shame on them all! But as someone else pointed out, it seems CEN are the worst offenders. Regardless, my purpose is not to bash CEN. I was just making the point that there is nothing wrong with pointing these numbers out, like IL2m did.

PatrickBW - We are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about nitpicking and bragging that my truck is faster than yours etc etc. I am simply talking about forum members discussing facts and exchanging info in a friendly manner so as to educate ourselves into making better purchasing decisions. And the nice big side-effect of that is that it has a huge impact on influencing manufacturer's to provide better products and service for us. It gives the people a voice, so to speak. I do not prefer to accept blatant BS from companies that insult our intelligence and try to take advantage of us and our hard earned money. If you choose to just accept that BS, thats fine, but don't knock those who point it out. And Obviously it depends on the severity... I was not talking about 1.4 vs 1.2, I could certainly live with that. What I was talking about was 5 vs 1.6.

ttoks, that was not just in the 70's, they still do it today too. As a few examples, look at the 03-04 Cobra's and the 98+ LS1's and the LS6's. All under-rated
Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 PM
richardcatdaddy

kbreese,you are right.The cen rep could have done a lot better.The main reason I bought that truck cause I got it for $115.00.Its my first,but not last rc truck,how ever while I will keep it my next truck will be a Savage.I dont mean to sound like I am arguing with anyone.But fun is the real goal here after all.So to me it dont matter who has what brand,or whose is bigger,badder or faster.I just wanna have fun.[&:]
Old 12-29-2007, 02:13 PM
CrazyMento

kbreese

i gave up... good luck and have fun with whatever you choose, but i doubt that you will enjoy it if you kept thinking like that

Ttoks
any .28 claimed- up to 4 hp-average 1.7, best 2.4 (wow) - NOT TRUE, more like .7 to 1.2 the highest ( a 600+ motor)
.12's are making up most likee .5hp

thats if the dyno is actually accurate and the magazine is not fulll of **** like the engine makers.. lol
Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM
richardcatdaddy

Okay look,I am new at the rc thing and dont know a lot about it or the different companys that make them.But I am here to learn more and if by asking questions is how I need to do t I will ask.I just dont understand what thwe big deal is about who makes them,sure some companys offer better service,maybe not.I still think its what the person wants and likes,like buying a real truck.With me its Ford,always has been always will be.Like I said,the nemesis is the first truck for me and as I go along and learn more I am sure I will try different ones like everyone else has and will make some mistakes also.So the 7.7 dont have the power the company claims it does, but I still have fun with it and as far as I am concerned thats what counts.Not crying about who has what or what they are doing with it.I got it to have fun and thats about it.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
air-x

ok....after reading all the smack on this I will throw in my 2 cents...I have a gst 7.7 and a tr arena with a rb 928 in it. Both trucks are super tough and really fun. The gst 7.7 motor moves this truck just fine...it has loads of torque and preforms just fine compared to other 1/8 scale monster trucks..........I dont think you would go wrong with it
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
vge

Seems to me that the people that actually own the trucks like them. The others seem to just spit out useless pointless opinions.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
richardcatdaddy

Like I said,I really like my nemesis monster and its a blast. But we all need to respect every one elses choices and not dog them about what they have.We all have likes and dislikes but no reason to argue about it.After all isnt the main thing we have fun with out toys?I am 46 years old really enjoy these things.I wish everyone could have as much fun as I do.Just my opinion,nothing more.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
mtbkym01

The GST looks like a blast, The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned, BUT, in Australia they (like most CEN products here) seem just too expensive to even consider. The GST on sale was still $150 more expensive than my LST2, and also $120 more expensive than the S50 Hammer (MGT 8.0).
Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 AM
richardcatdaddy

No doubt about that. Cen trucks are pricey,but then you get what you pay for normally.