Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

ordinary diff in Evader !help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
MadForceDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordinary diff in Evader !help!

since i'm not racing with my evader ( just hard bashing) i wish to replace the ball diff with an ordinary one. i'm just tired of adjusting it. in dusty condition, its become a problem. i have the truck for like a year and a half, everything going find but i rebuilt the ball diff about 5 time. even carbide ball and alu gear don't do.

i know that some losi truck part fit the evader.do anyone know something about it ?? please, don't give me ball diff solution cauz' i just don't want it anymore.

tanks.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: ordinary diff in Evader !help!

if you look in the original Evader thread, you'll find that XDD and a couple of others were talking about supergluing their diffs, I don't know anything else about it though.. I breezed through that part and wasn't interested in it..
Old 08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
MadForceDude

i already try that once, but that car is so light and powerfull that at medium to high speed, just pull the trigger make me lose control. that one of the diff job's, keep the car stable. and with the 3 degree toe in, its even more EZ to lose control with a lock diff. that why i want and ordinary one...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 AM
gerwen

I think the nitro rustler has a gear diff. I have no idea how difficult it would be to adapt it to the evader.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:23 AM
MadForceDude

what have to be similar most, i think, is the pitch of the gear, the size of the ball cup, the diameter of the gear, the size of the bearing ( inside and outside) and the width of the whole diff ball cup include.

so that a lot !! that why i think if one fit it can only be a team losi one, since a evader is like 50% same part as the old XX-nt.

but i know someone who got a stpampeed witch is basically a rustler, i'll check that out.
tanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Snipin_Willy

If you are loosing control you might consider loosening the slipper clutch.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
MadForceDude

slipper's job is to absorb the peak of power at the start when the clutch bell engage to protect tranny and gearing, not to stabilize the car at hight speed.

if u adjust slipper a way that it can slip at hight speed, you probably have a serious lack of power problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Snipin_Willy

how much tread do you have on what tires, and what do you drive on?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
MadForceDude

how much tread do you have on what tires, and what do you drive on?
[/quote]

on the rear wheel : proline dirt paw, sand paddle, bow tie, road rage 2
on the front : edge and road rage 2

i have different set of wheel to face any condition. and i run on : sand, gravel, asphalt, dirt....

why you asking that ???
[quote]ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Snipin_Willy

so when you give it gas, is the back end slipping out from behind? Is traction the problem? I run on dirt tracks and when coming out of a turn and heading down the front strait the rear will slip out from behind the truck if I give it too much gas, but that is a traction problem, not the diff.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
MadForceDude

ok, seems like we got a misunderstanding here, so i will just repeat what already written.

1- i got traction problem the once i try a lock diff, witch is normal with a 3° toe in( read the top ), not with my ball diff.

2- i know how to set a diff ball and when i race at a track, i'm glad to have it. but i drive my evader most on road and in sand pit, in dusty condition ( read the top).

3- i ain,t got no problem with my evader at all, the tread was about founding a ordinary diff for when i'm hard bashing because its killing the ball diff( read the top).

tanks
Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MadForceDude

ok, seems like we got a misunderstanding here, so i will just repeat what already written.

1- i got traction problem the once i try a lock diff, witch is normal with a 3° toe in( read the top ), not with my ball diff.

2- i know how to set a diff ball and when i race at a track, i'm glad to have it. but i drive my evader most on road and in sand pit, in dusty condition ( read the top).

3- i ain,t got no problem with my evader at all, the tread was about founding a ordinary diff for when i'm hard bashing because its killing the ball diff( read the top).

tanks
This side of the forum's isn't known for the best advice...

Yeah, locking out the diff sucks... but my roommate's evader is all aluminum and has a ported OS18 ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2877713/tm.htm ) and has managed to keep his current diff together for 1 gallon of the prev. engine, and about 2 on the current one. Considering the abuse it carries (weight of the truck, tall gearing, and SERIOUS mill) I'd have to say that it would seem like you shouldn't have the trouble that you've had. Grit and dust (as you've said) are this type of diff's worst enemy. Is it not possible that you run it a bit too loose?

His tranny has all the metal that you can find, and I know he built up the diff with the Associated Diff grease (RC10GT fare).

He also had one fail very early on, then replaced it with IDENTICAL pieces that have held up.

Do you give it the (just ruling things out) required breakin and re-tightening? Also they seem to hold up a bit better if run a tad tighter on high traction surfaces like pavement...

Just some thoughts.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
MadForceDude

tanks for the post frost.

i look at amsterdam's truck vid. crazy...my dtx .18 ain't got that power. i'm not an aluminum fan but this truck is awesome. my bro put one of these engine in is MT2 ( OS cv-rx .18 right?? yeah.. i recongnize it because of the motor saver, cv-rx use big bloc carb) love the oversize 2.2 tire, i wanna put some on my mt2. its mutcher??....mulcher??...i'm not sure of the name..

anyway...

so here we go for the whole story. when i got the truck, i did the break in for the balll diff and everything was going juuuuuuust fine. i re adjust it some time to time, i even have to do a teardown once because some water get inside the tranny....

like 3 gallon of fuel later on pavement and local race track and grass, everithing ok so far...

but..., at the end of the summer last year, my friend say that it will be cool to try our truck in a sand pit. so i got to my hobby shop and buy some sand paddle. gee man, i tell ya, never had that much fun in my life, it was sick. so it become our sunday morning fun. the sand pit.

the sand, the dust, the heat ( about 40-45c it like what? 105-110F ?? yeah, it can be hot sometime here in canada) no wind to help the cool down, we ran rich we open our H.S.N. about 1/8 of a turn to keep the engine cool. changing the air filter every 3 tank. but here come the problem,after a couple of days, i felt like a lost of power, then nothing, the engine is runing, the spur is turnig, no problem with the sliper..........F*ck, my transmission!!!!

so i go home and tear down the tranny and i see this: ( still got all my part ) see the pick.

[img][/img]

my main diff gear have melted!!!!! so i asked about it to by hobby shop and he recomended heavy duty rebuild, alu gear, carbide ball. all because of dust and heavy load due to hight traction.

every thing is fine , but not when i go to the sand pit. the ball diff bust almost every time after 2 or tree days of runing, and don't tell me to not go because if u never run in sand u just don't know what RC truck is all about, kind ok drugs, way too fun i can't leave!!!

but good news, i order a rebuild kit this sumer and it seams like duratrax have change some part. the little plastic thing that hold the nut ( on the pic) is now made of metal. and i didn't have time yet to go to the pit this sumer and i have the same ball diff since the last rebuild and everything is fine.

so my way to set it, my way to rebuilt it are not and issue to the problem. but with and ordinary one, if i go to sand pit, i can just clean and grease, without adjusting it, and i can remove the ball one for the switch without loosing my adjusment.

so that why.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38396.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	311809  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Get it FULLY broken in and seated before the sand... When it gets loose there is room for the finest of sand to get in. Sand is the WORST. Sand = silica... it's as hard as glass. Sand is harder than the carbide or anything else in the diff, and even the finest of dust will ruin it.

You won't like this but, if my truck saw sand, at the end of the day, I'd pull the diff and clean it with solvent and then re-assemble. Put each ball back into it's ORIGINAL hole. This is a pain in the *ss, but important.

Other than that, I'm tapped for advice. Good luck, sand is HARD on the truck but fun.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 AM
gerwen

^^^ good advice.
I ran on the beach occasionally and the entire tranny definitely required a good cleaning afterwards(as did the whole truck). Do you have carbide balls in the thrust bearing too? I don't remember if duratrax makes them, i used a thrust bearing from a losi truck that had larger carbide balls and didn't have the cage. Little more durable and smoother too.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:10 AM
MadForceDude

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Do you have carbide balls in the thrust bearing too? I don't remember if duratrax makes them,
yeah, i have it, when you buy carbide ball it come with the full set. i check that out, and i discover that even the old XX-t have ball diff, so no ordinary one from losi. what i think i'm gonna do is use only my MT2 and my mad force in the sand or do like Frost say, just clean it every time.( grrrr )

anyway, i rebuilt and adjust this thing so many time that now i do it in a snap. every bad thing has is good side i guess.

tanks you all for the help.