Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Which stick mode is the best for F3A?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
rudder/gas - aileron/elevator
46.79%
aileron/gas - rudder/elevator
53.21%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Which stick mode is the best for F3A?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
ata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which stick mode is the best for F3A?

Hi,

I'm in deep trouble right now. I use rudder/gas left, aileron/elevator right configuration, but I feel that it's not perfect for accurate slow rolls, rolling loop, rolling circle etc. In the future I'd like to fly FAI schedules, but I can't decide: should I use this stick config or should I relearn everything with the other? I don't want to limit myself with this I will relearn everithing instead now if it neccesary (I know it's at least one year, but if worths it...). Please share your experiencies with me! If you know masters/FAI guy's stick mode, don't hesitate let me know!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which stick mode is the best for F3A?

I fly Mode 1 which is ail gas right stick. I have also flown Mode 2 as an experiment for a full year 2001. I really think that Mode 1 is better for rolling maneuvers. I also think that it's really hard to switch over from what's natural or what you learned. The reason most flyers are Mode 2 is because that's what they learned. Interesting question. Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
ERDEL

For pattern definetevely is much better Mode 1, i hav flown both modes and fpr precision aerobatics mode 1 is the way to go. For a person who is s sunday flier flying sport maybe mode 2 could be a good mode.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

I really don't think it much matters...

In the 80's I was flying single-stick and in the top of the advanced class continually and moved into masters.

A few years later single stick radios were hard to find and I went with the mode 2 standard. It took only about 3-4 months and I was right back at the same level.

I think the best thing you can do, either way, is put in heavier springs for better stick feedback and start burning fuel...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Zaquron

Hello Ata.

I believe this has been discussed over a million times... in various forums.
And the conclusion was almost always the same. The one you already learnt is the best!
Changing to mode4 after you have learned to fly in mode2 will cause nothing but a pain in the ass.
I personally fly mode4 with throttle reversed.
Had a few tries with different stick modes just for the experience, but it was rather distrubing.
Some people say it is good to separate aileron control from elevator but i am still not convinced enough. You have seen me flying in competition so u saw for yourself it really does not matter

regards,

Zaquron
Old 02-04-2005, 02:32 AM
ata

Hi Zaquron,

maybe you are right, but I can't found any discussion about this. Please give me any keyword to search by Google, I tried a lot of combinations of these "stick, mode, aileron, ruddern, pattern, F3A, rc" without success.

I know it's a personal preference, but if aileron is separeted from elevator I think it's easier to maintain constant roll rate, and easier to fly straight and level with other hand. You just have to move the stick in same direction like landing gear (you draw an ellipse with this stick for a full roll).
Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I fly mode 3 or 4 (don't really know what it's called) where I use ail/gas on LEFT and rudder/elevator on right...equal but opposite to mode 1.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:46 AM
mups53

Hey Bodyworks I think that's Mode 3. That's a very good way to fly for a right hander. I also beleive that's the way Ivan Kristenson from Canada flys. Mike
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no, not the mode debate again! I’ve flown both modes and found they each have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. I know a number of people that switched from mode II to mode I and I was not able to conclude that there was any improvement in their flying. I think it is more a left brain, right brain thing and that’s why the mode issue has been debated for decades.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Zaquron

Ata,

probably the reason you didn't find anything is that those topics died ages ago and the debates were mainly on mailing lists.
You are right about the roll correction thing and also there is some advantage in rudder handling (which is essential in F3A), but these are only true if you're right handed. I guess that is why most "sport flyers" prefer mode2. I think coordinating the movements of one hand at a time is way easier for the average pilot.
(btw anyone could prove me wrong in a matter of seconds, so this is just my opinion and IS biased )

regards,

Zaquron
Old 02-04-2005, 11:57 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

It is my experience that no matter what mode you fly, until you have mastered the use of the rudder, you are a 2nd-3rd rate pilot. As pointed out there are advantages and disadvantages to any mode. At the end of the day it all comes down to pilot skill.

In Europe the majority of F3A pilots fly mode 1. In the US it is about evenly split. Just proves that pilot skill is the final factor.

Safe flying!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Jorgele

I learn to fly mode 2, but when I started to fly pattern aerobatics 5 years ago, I swicthed to mode 4 (right hand: elevator and ruder, left hand: gas and aileron) and I really felt the diference, mode 1 or mode 4 is the easier way to go in order to improve the quality fly, it is very good for points rols, slow rols, vertical control, rudder corrections and is very good for 3D earobatics to, for example hovering, when you control the vertical position with only a hand.
I relearn to fly mode 4 with a ugly stick plane and 3 or 4 months later I was flying pattern.
Now I am flying FAI and I wolud never back to mode 2.

Best regards.

Jorge Lozano
Colombian Pattern
Old 02-15-2005, 04:19 PM
mikenet76

Someone know what is CPLR mode??
I know Sebastiano Silvestri and Marco Benincasa flying mode 1.

Bye!
Mike.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Jorgele

And Quique fly mode 1 to !!.

JOrge
Old 02-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Now let's get all wrapped up in the debate of thumbs vs. thumb - forefinger method of holding the sticks.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:44 PM
mups53

Hey Chris trying to rile things up? How about JR vs: Futaba? IC vs: Electric? And the hits just keep on coming!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I just think that doing something because XYZ does is not going to make you a better pilot necessarily. There is no short cut to winning. The only way to get better is to burn more fuel (or electrons) and have a good coach. If I drive a Ford will that make me a pro driver like (insert favorite Ford sponsored Nascar driver here)? Whatever mode or engine or plane you like, go for it. There are plenty of successful guys on Mode 1 Mode 2 Mode 4 flying YS OS Webra Mintor.... whatever..........There is no common theme. A good pilot will win because he is a good pilot.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: mikenet76

Someone know what is CPLR mode??
Christophe flies mode two.

I don't think that it's necessarily a stick position issue as much as it is a practice issue. Fly what is most comfortable for you and what is the most natural. If you learned on a certain mode, then your brain will be programmed to respond to emergencies in the mode in which you learned.

As far as thumb and forefinger and thumb goes, I think i might be an oddball. I use my thumb and forefinger mostly, however I find myself using thumbs only occasionally, like switching during flights.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 AM
mups53

I fly Mode 1, with a tray (Falcon) positioned higher than normal and I fly long sticks with 2 fingers and a thumb wrapped around around the stick. That's what works for me.
The most unusual method I have seen is David Snow who is the current Masters nats champion here in the USA. He uses a tray positioned very low with super long sticks. He puts his thumbs smack dab on top of the stick and his fingers spread out on the side of the tray. You'd have to see it to understand, and if it was flying season I would show a pic of it. Mike
Old 02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
esamart

I remember reading datasheets of World Champions models from a German FlugModell und Technik-magazine back 80s and there was mode-section too. About 2/3 flew either I or III meaning Ail/Thr together. One single stick flyer in top ten. Can you quess who?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
mups53

I'm guessing that it was Mark Radcliffe flying a single stick or Rhett Miller? Nobody flys single stick anymore in pattern that I know of. Mike
Old 02-19-2005, 10:55 AM
esamart

If I am not terribly wrong Chip Hyde flew with single stick at Chesapeake 1989 and/or France 1987 but won F3A World Championships at Wangaratta 1991 flying Mode 2.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:06 PM
mups53

I didn't know that Chip flew a single stick. That's interesting. I had a period of 15 years from the mid 80's to 2001 that I was out of the hobby so there's alot of things I missed. Thanks, Mike
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 AM
ACH

Practice, practice, practice, with what you have learnt. I fly Mode I with thumbs on the sticks but believe if Mode II is used, which puts the two main controls on the same stick, a Tx tray is desirable to get the delicate balance required between the two functions using fingers and thumbs, but that is just another opinion. The following link covers a bit of history on Tx modes. [link]http:////www.users.waitrose.com/~mhoyland/Tx%20mode%20History%201.htm[/link]
Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew full scale helicopters for a number of years, so mode 2 was a natural for me. The only difference was the left thumb for pedals.

By the way, this isn't the only area of contention with flight controls. American helicopters have the main rotor blades turn one way, thus a lot of left pedal is required with power. Some European and all Russian main rotors turn the opposite way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.