Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Black Magic VF3 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black Magic VF3 Build Thread

Hey Larry,...

Those are the tall Element gear, as Ryan indicated. I saw the gear in the new K-Factor on the Central Hobbies page and they are blue. I turned the gear around, because on my Element it would nose over all the time. The gear is to far behind the wing the in the rearward position and I may try it anyway just to see if it happens on the magic.

Question: The blue on the cowl area,...? Should I extend that to the chin cowl. It looks sort of odd,..like a raccoon without with out it's bandit mask and eye rings,....looks unfinished up there?

Tech-Aero,...gott'a get that ordered ASAP,.....fly the beast on Wed thru friday,...I hope?

Thanks,

Bill Holsten

Advantage Hobby Fliton Field Rep/Custom Airframes Of America/ Dragon Fire Customs/Duralite/Guardian America.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Bill,

Here is a link to another set of gear that might work, these are about as tall as the bolly large

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...ategory_id=121

I'm running the Bolly Large and with the sweep the plane is very tippy on grass runways. But it's really great for smooth takeoffs. Ithink the axels are less than 2 inches in front of my cg.....

makes you wonder what the mark up is on thecentralgear...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 AM
handglider

maybe extending the blue into the chin is a good ideal, it looks a little bit cut off from the front view. maybe bring it down so the area around the opening is blue with a dagger coming off the bottom extending along the bottom of the chin....

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Dean,............

Yeah,....I was thinking the samething with the blue and a dagger or tear drop,...deal with it later. I just want to get it ready before next weekends contest at Lake City. Just finished installing the engine, pipe and throttle servo,..............off and running now. I got my 14MZ, so that will go in it but it's not on 2.4 yet. I will check out the gear,..thanks!

Best Regards,

Bill Holsten

Advantage Hobby Fliton Field Rep/Custom Airframes Of America/ Dragon Fire Customs/Duralite/Guardian America.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 PM
handglider

Cool Bill,

I am busy programing my plane for the 10x - and really going through all my setups and etc... Ireally like the 10x so far and I like how the programming works. Should be a good transition if I upgrade to a 12x at some point. I'll be flying 72 unless my fairy godmother drops of a spectrum module in time

Inoticeda few littledetailsthat should improve my plane's performance. Iam going through everything. Iadded a slight bit more ofpositiveincidence in the tail. I am running close to 1/4 degree of positive in the stabs right now with about .6degreesin the wings. Also I maybe running just a bit too much right thrust. Since Iam upgrading to the 10x I am hitting a few trim issues with a smallgaugeshotgun. No big changes but a few little tweeks...

I also want to send a big thank you out to Doug "BOPOD" Harvel !!!

-dean

oh ps. don't forget to send me the measurements for the graphics

Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Up-date time,.............for those that are wanting to know?

The plumbing is done the servos are in, wheels and pants are on, pull-pull is done, all the wiring is done. All the hardware is on the control surfaces, linkage is not hooked-up yet(radio set-up).

To finish: Tank(forgot to order one,..Oopps! , tank mount, RX installation and batteries, Tech-Aero(have to rush order tomorrow),graphics, balance, incidence and throws,.linkage.......triple check everthing,...go fly!

Hope to test fly on thursday and tweek on friday before the contest,.......I should enjoy this contest much better if all goes well.[8D]

Mike,..are you finished yet,...just checking,..hope your NATS tune-up goes great!!! I need to buddy up with someone to work on polishing for the NATS,...AHHHHH,...just rembered I didn't get my paperwork in,....another late fee,....eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr![:@]

For the record,....not totally covering the next VF3,...paint,..............get ready Dean! 

Did I forget anything? Oh,..this plane is stupid light!!!

Regards,

Bill Holsten

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you're gonna beat me Bill. I'll be lucky to get mine done before the Nats. But I never say die!!!!

it took me the better part of May just to get the parts made (cores cut, kits done, etc). Didn't really start sheeting or glueing anything until the first week of June. I'm gonna see if 2 VF3s can be built and painted in a month.

Just heard my tech Aero reg is on the way. Paint should be here this week, and I am cheating...Arch is covering my wings and stabs for me. Ok not cheating THAT much, I'm painting his fuse beside mine. Anybody wanna come down and help me sand primer next week?

The plan is to roll out 2 brand new planes in exactly 2 weeks. One for me, one for Archie. if I can't get the glass on by next weekend, all bets are off. Looks ok so far, but that last bit of sanding is gonna sting.

When this is over, I'm busting a case of Heineken. LOL

-Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
AmericanSpectre505

I hope it all comes together for you Mike. If not,.... you can always borrow mine if you need to (not the Partner either). If I didn't have to travel all next week for business I would come down and give you a hand. Glad Archie is helping you out,...maybe bribe Dean with a case of Heineken,..LOL!

Good luck Mike,........

Archie,..do you have any photo's of the placement of your equipment,..Tech-Aero, batteries, reciever,..if it's all up front don't worry about it. I will double sticky stuff for CG balancing purposes only before I put battery plates, etc  in then install the  velcro pads.

Best Regards,

Bill Holsten

Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
handglider

oh yea, I'll be there to sand primer. Ijust hope all goes well and mike gets it done....

It's time to cash in all the good karma Iguess - LOL !!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Bill,

Basically all of my stuff is in the nose.  My CGI unit it on the floor in the nose and I have my dual batteries up on the top "shelf" in the nose.  Receiver is back next to my elevator servo. 

Dean,

Glad to hear you are going to be able to help with sanding.  Hopefully he can get the wings sent to me later this week so I can cover them next week and then both planes will be ready after the 4th. 

Arch
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thanks Archie,....[8D]

Dean you are good man,..Archie too!

Later guys, back to the daily grind![:'(]

Bill Holsten

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM
rcpattern

Bill,

I will happily help Mike out with anything.  He has done so much for me.  However as much as I would like to say me helping Mike is purely out of the goodness of my heart, I also have a vested interest since one of the planes he is working so hard to finish over the next 2 weeks is mine..  I have told him though, don't put extra effort into mine..to make sure he has his done. 

Arch
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Roger that Archie,...! Not to many people out there that would go the extra mile for a fellow flier or even friend for that matter anymore,...some,...not many. Hope to see you guys at the NATS if all goes well. When is the NATS registration cut off,...I know I'm paying a late fee for sure?!

I was thinking about that yestarday in the garage working on mine, knowing you were behind the 8 ball, so to speak. I should have just given Mike the plane back I picked up from him in Florida, what a bonehead I am. I could have gotten by for the remainder of the season with the Partner,..not the NATS. I kick myself in the butt for not thinking to do that or atleast offer,...I think the excitement got to me, sincerely feel really bad now!

Mike ,..sorry man! Your still welcome to it if you ever need it,..if you can get past the colors,...LOL!

Bill Holsten
Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
MHester

Nope don't feel bad. The one thing you may be overlooking: I probably have 100 planes I could borrow, thanks to the great friends I have out there. But it's not MINE. The plane you have wasn't built for me, so it's not mine either. I want my plane. Mine, my own. So it's done when it's done....

But of course, thanks anyway. I would have just said no.

-Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
AmericanSpectre505

That's kool Mike I understand about having "Your Own" plane,...still dosen't excuse my denseness in not asking or offering anyway.

The Black Magic community has a bunch a great guys,...that was very apparent to me at the few Florida contests I have attended. It was the Black Magic guys that offered up planes when I was down on my luck with broken planes, etc. And ofcourse yourself at Lake City last year,..thanks for the great machine!

Bill Holsten

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
handglider

This hobby is about sharing and giving first, but Mike takes that to a whole new level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45283.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1222735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19036.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1222736  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM
rcpattern

Oh, I see..I get left out of the sombrero pictures now...

Thanks Dean...

Arch
Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM
handglider

no dude, that is an old graphic that Chris Odom created back from the crapoola thread days. Go back to the first few pages of the crappola thread you will see it. There are a few classics over there. Your one of the amigos dude, no worries ...

Your going to have to ask Chris to make a new update photoshop job with tres amigos. Yo Chris, Arch needs a photoshop hack job....

The other pic is the very first Black Magic the prototype V1.Mike actually gave it to me and Iflew it well until good old Jimbo had to crash into it..... LOL - Heck I loved that plane, I first saw it at my first pattern meet and fell in love.

I am hearing rumors that Mike might be doing a V1 tribute scheme on his new plane. Sorry for letting that out of the bag, but Ijust think that is AWESOME!!!!

I loved the heck out of that prototype but took it like an man when she went down...

oh heck........

Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
MHester

Thanks dude, I was just digging around for pics! That one shows what I was looking for.

I am gonna add some red and change up the design....slightly. But that was one plane I could SEE!!!!

So yeah trying to keep it simple and clean. 4 days, 5 tops.

-Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Guys,............

Is the Futaba 9350 digital enough for the rudder on this plane,....like for the P-9 and F-9 program? It seems to have worked great on my Element and Partner,...VF3 much bigger plane!

Archie,........you practice the P's and F's any ideas here?

Bill

Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

Bill,

I did an edit on the landing gear in my last post and put a link on there to Airborne Models. Check out the gear they have and I myself are going to order a set of those gear for the new guy down here I'm helping to put on a V2.

Larry

Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Jason Arnold

Well Guys my foam core cutter is virtually complete. Got some formica the other day for templates so it's all coming together now.

Foam core weights.

Can someone please tell me what each core should weigh prior to honey combing? By each core I mean a wing core, stab core, fin core and turtle deck cores.

I'm about to get some foam and need to know what to shoot for weight wise.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
rcpattern

Bill,

I would really question that servo on this plane. I fly the BLS-351 which is near 200oz and there are times flying the F stuff playing with it that it wouldnt hurt to have a little more. I know a lot of guys are flying 9156's on the rudder of the newer stuff.

Arch
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Archie,..

I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure if it was a need for more servo or the aircraft design(s) in general I had been flying, ofcourse the Element didn't last long enough to really experiment with. I found the servo to be adequate for the Element for everything except the F program with respect to some of the vertical rolling stuff with the 9350 as with the Partner.

I will switch it over to 200+oz's for the rudder,....I know the rudder is very effective on the VF3, so I was just wondering. I want to get the right stuff in it the first time around and work the plane smartly. I will fly it this weekend with the 9350, since thats all I have except for the 5955 Hitecs' in the Extra.

Thank you for the information,..greatly apreciate it![8D]

Bill Holsten

Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
MHester

The rudder is only as effective as the servo. The stronger the servo, the stronger the rudder. If you want to be able to carve that integrated 2 roll half loop then you need the power.

it also affects the snap somewhat. A stronger faster rudder will snap more violently than a weaker slower one.

Actually this is the one surface on this plane where I have to say don't skimp on a servo at all. You can get away with murder on the ailerons and elevator...not the rudder.

-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.