Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Designing a new pattern model

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 AM

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Designing a new pattern model

Thanks everyone, i'm really glad you like it.

Hi Claude, i didn't really use the name "Hypnose" excepting the paintscheme renders for the composite version. Thought about a name for a while, and finally decided to call it "Radiance".
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares the name?!?!?! IT's beutiful a flyies like a dream!!!! (just kidding...)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Alex Voicu

I made some progress, but i don't think it's going to be visible in the screenshots. The fuselage went through many filling and sanding sessions, the wing and stab sleeves were positioned using the laser level tool and glued inside the fuselage, the canopy and cowl fitting is done so what's left to do is glassing the fuselage and painting it. Are there any good tutorials about glassing a fuselage? I made some tests on a piece of balsa but i just can't replicate what is described in the Black Magic build thread. I was very careful with the microbaloons, but i couldn't apply them evenly and they seem to create ''lumps'' here and there.

Unfortunately the progress will have to stop here for a while. My job requires a 2 months trip to France, so i won't be able to work on the model until i get back (around early April). Too bad, because i was planning to have the maiden flight around that date and this trip will set me back considerably.
Anyway, in the last couple of weeks i've been working on a new version of the wooden structure, which should be almost 200g lighter and easier to build. I hope to be able to finish the 3D design before going to France because a friend of mine is very anxious to start building it.
Alex, how has this updated (lighter weight) design progressing?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkGrabowski
Alex, how has this updated (lighter weight) design progressing?
Hi Mark,

The V2 prototype was built by a friend of mine and is almost ready to fly. Fuselage is already glassed and painted, only wings and stabs need to be film covered.
Fuselage is almost identical on the outside, but the internal structure is completely different. Wings and stabs are swept, foam and balsa construction, but the plan is to also design and build balsa structure wings. Will post details here as soon as possible.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Very nicely done Alex. Beautiful plane and it seems to me a very nice flying..

Best regards from Serbia,
Nikola
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Alex Voicu

Thank you for the kind words; i'm really glad you like it.
I work as a CAD/CAM engineer since 2000 and 3D modelling is one of my hobbies; unfortunately most of my projects at work are not as interesting as designing pattern planes

For those who are interested in the 3D model of the YS170, i can probably upload it somewhere in IGS or STEP file format. Most CAD software are able to read these formats, but sometimes errors may occur. The Solidworks model is split in 2 files and the total size is simply too large (over 500Mb). Just send me a message at a_voiku -at- yahoo dot com and i'll see what i can do.

Fuselage will be composite with a conventional layout: a removable chin cowl covering the engine and Hatori muffler and a canopy hatch which i think is large enough even for the electric version. Here are a few shots shots showing the main fuselage modelling steps:
<div id="gt-res-content" class="almost_half_cell" style="display: block"><div dir="ltr" style="zoom: 1"><div id="tts_button" class=" "></div><span id="result_box" class="long_text"><span title="Ol&aacute; Alex Voicu, eu sou do Brasil, Desculpe meu ingl&ecirc;s pois n&atilde;o conhe&ccedil;o muito bem seu indioma, fiquei adimirado com seu trabalho, eu tamb&eacute;m gosto muito do solidworks para desenvolver meus modelos, tenho um projeto completo de um extra 330 para motor glow 1.60," onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#fff'" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#ebeff9'" style="background-color: #fff">Hello Alex Voicu, I'm from Brazil, sorry my English because I do not know her very well indioms, I admired their work, I also really like to develop my solidworks models, have a complete design for an extra glow plug 330 to 1.60, </span><span title="gostaria de saber se tem interesse de compartilhar experi&ecirc;ncias." onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#fff'" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#ebeff9'" style="background-color: #fff">I wonder if you are interested to share experiences.
</span><span title="Gostaria muito de fazer uma troca com voc&ecirc; e quero saber se vc disponibilisaria seu modelo completo, sei que tem interesse comercial nele mas estou a milhares de kil&ocirc;metros de voc&ecirc; e isso n&atilde;o te atrapalharia, eu tamb&eacute;m posso disponibilisar meu modelo completo se voc&ecirc; quiser." onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#fff'" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#ebeff9'" style="background-color: #fff">I would love to do a swap with you and if you want to know your complete model disponibilisaria, I know that has a commercial interest in it but I am thousands of miles of you and it does not disturb you, I can complete my model disponibilisar if you want. </span><span title="Desde j&aacute; eu agrade&ccedil;o muito, e aguardo respostas." onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#fff'" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#ebeff9'" style="background-color: #fff">Since already I thank you very much, and I await answers.
</span></span></div></div><div id="gt-res-tools" class="g-section"><div id="gt-res-listen" class="gt-icon-c" role="button" tabindex="0" closure_uid_haek7="7" style="display: none"></div><div id="gt-res-dict" style="display: none">
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 PM

Hi Paulo,
Please check your PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, if you ever want to sell it as a plan, count me in for a copy.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Alex, I was so impressed with your work, I posted your thread over at my control line stunt Forum. They are pretty strict about keeping it control line stunt, but the administrator allowed this one to roll. Brother, this is what I am talking about!! As a modeler who uses the same tools you do, this is the type of inspiration and direction I like, to show me just how I need to conduct my business.

Bravo.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Thank you for the kind words.
Some high resolution pictures were uploaded on a friend's server but it went offline and unfortunately the pictures were lost. I'll try to edit my posts and attach the images here on RCU.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:02 AM

Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Hello Alex

I think this is the wooden Radiance !
Is it your own plane and what is version 2 ?
Nice to know you are going to sell kit.
Claude
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86764.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1653911  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi Claude,

Yes, it's a revised version, with balsa structure swept wings and stabs and reworked fuselage structure. 2 more prototypes were built and flown by my friend Tommie from South Africa and we're now preparing the final version (V4) that will be released soon as a short kit. Will start a new build thread when everything is ready.

Alex
Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Hello Alex

Thank for your answer.
Very good choice to make wings and stab in balsa structure.
When you will be ready, if you agree I put a thread of your plane on our French Forum F3A
http://www.f3a.fr/portal.php?sid=0de...42796b961ad947
Claude
Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Sure, no problem. I am familiar with the french forums and read them every day.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM

So when is the ARF version coming out ?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

At the moment we're working on a short kit that should be ready at the end of september. An ARF takes a lot of time to build and would cost a lot more.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 AM

For the subscribers of this thread: the Radiance kits are finally ready.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10970855/tm.htm[/link]