Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FUTABA Telemetry

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FUTABA Telemetry

ORIGINAL: MrCoffeeMax

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
Futaba has since joined the 2.4 market as has Hitec, Airtronics, etc. Now it comes down to what features each has to offer when deciding which way to go.
The difference is, Futaba has been using 2.4 for about 20 years in their industrial radios, so when they decided to build a 2.4 radio for RC, they designed it from the ground-up for RC - which took a little longer than Spektrum, who used ''off the shelf'' technology.

Yes, Spektrum got their radio to the market sooner, but that doesn't mean Futaba ''jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon'' after the fact. They were alredy fully involved in building theirs - and I might add, building them right the first time.

How many versions of DMX have we had now?

And now that Spektrum has finally moved to frequency hopping, have you noticed their new receivers? Looks amazingly like Brand ''F'' dontcha think?
I am not knocking Futaba. I am simply noting that I made choices based upon what was available at the time. Each company is going to offer new features to entice you into buying their product. If there was no competition, this would not happen as quickly.

I remember when Lotus 123 was one of the best Spreadsheets. Along came Windows and Lotus did not offer a Windows based version of 123 until after Microsoft Excel had taken most of the market share.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not all that interested in telemetry itself. I am very interested in why people are so fascinated by it. And that fascination is the real topic of this thread. Hence my participation. As I have said, telemetry is not new and has been available for some time, so why now, suddenly, is it a ''must have''?
Perhaps because it's finally affordable?

When he died, I bought Drobie's Eagle Tree system (including Seagull) which cost him more than a new DX8 would have. It was lots of extra weight and wiring, and required a pitman to monitor for problems.

What I have now is minimal additional equipment, and my transmitter buzzes if there's a problem.

I can't wait to see what the F guys have up their sleeves.

Andy
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflyj3
Then what about the zero GUID problem they had?????? I guess it is right the second time?
[/quote]

Zero GUID issue: hardware problem, not RF. FASST yes, it was done right the first time!

Doug.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM
BuschBarber

It was Futaba that had the Duplicate GUID problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello rmh.

Your double posting surely emphasize your outlook

ORIGINAL: rmh

Do you need it? Personally I do not.
Do you need a radio? Yes. In the 1950s I was building my own radios.
Do you need a car? Yes for convenience but it can be more expensive than public services.
Is telemetry actually useful? That is doubtful. Read post #3.
yup
Can you see how it can be of use to you? It is of no use to me.
If it is of no use to you -case closed Case is closed.
If you are waiting for future developements before you buy - your choice. Anyone doing that would never buy anything. There will always be new developments.
If you believe that those who enter the technology advances at later dates have an advantage-
welcome to yesterday Welcome to follow and do better. That is called "progress".
I am happy as a clam to be around at a time when all these new developments are being made available Agreed if the new developments are really useful, helpful and not just market share gimmicks. Like is said in post #3 I keep my eyes on my model particularly when there is many models flying at the same time.
The technology and equipment available now - works -and poo pooing it changes that fact - not a whit.
Who has been "poo pooing it" ? No one that I can read. If you find it useful, use it ; if you do not use your money in a more satisfying way.
rmh

Would you be so kind as to post pictures of your telemetry installation ?

Voltage, rpm, engine temperature, airspeed, ____whatever you are using.

It would be most interesting to see for us that, as you say, "welcome to yesterday" .
Yes "yesterday" when we were building models sometime made all of Kellogg's corn flakes boxes and Lepage paper glue and carved our own propellers using a pocket knife and the engine was nothing else than elastic bands.

The good old times.

Zor
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM
DougV

Yes, what Im saying is that the GUID issue was a hardware/Sofware related issue, NOT an RF (FASST) issue.

Doug.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: DougV

Yes, what Im saying is that the GUID issue was a hardware/Sofware related issue, NOT an RF (FASST) issue.

Doug.
Thanks!! I see your point!!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

What I have now is minimal additional equipment, and my transmitter buzzes if there's a problem.

Andy
Doesn't the constant buzzing annoy you? [&:]

[/quote]

Sorry Andy, you walked right into that one!!

Me neither. I'm betting there is more to S-Bus than reducing wire clutter and making plugging in servos easier.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn ... and I just upgraded to a Futaba 10CAG radio a few months ago! I like the idea of telemetry, and I will buy a Futaba telemetry radio when it comes out. I do want to know how fast and how high my planes are flying. I think that will be good information. Not really useful information, but good to know.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Kupfer

Telemetry for me is........Unwanted dead weight on my plane, One or more things to worry about that can go wrong (Like to keep things simple).

I have been flying for over 20years and check all before take off, We are flying model airplanes not launching to space.

Yes it is cool, But is not needed, Personally It's just another thing the radio companies are looking to make $$$$ on.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DejeVu-all over again
sounds like the same old "arguments" about how 2.4 offers us nothing but a chance to spend more money
Now if someone would PLEASE whip up a good sound program to installi in the TX .
Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Super Kupfer

Telemetry for me is........Unwanted dead weight on my plane, One or more things to worry about that can go wrong (Like to keep things simple).

I have been flying for over 20years and check all before take off, We are flying model airplanes not launching to space.

Yes it is cool, But is not needed, Personally It's just another thing the radio companies are looking to make $$$$ on.

The Rx Battery Voltage feature does not add any extra weight.

Back in the 80's, I had a Kodak M5 Super8 Movie Camera strapped to my Swizzle Stick 60. I had to wrap it in aluminum foil to keep it from glitching the Rx. I operated it with a servo. Now, we have Panning CMOS Camera's that are light as a feather, can mount in any aircraft, and plug into the Rx like a servo. I balked at using an Onboard Electric Starter, back then, for Gas and Glow aircraft, because of the weight. That is one technology that is not used much these days. Some Futaba radios have a Windows OS and you can store the picture of the aircraft with the Model Name. I guess you won't be buying that radio as it is just something else to go wrong. We should just go back to putting stickers on the back of the Tx to match the aircraft to the Model Memory (T6XA).
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Four Stroker

I have been flying for over 40 years. I check everything before I take off. The other day, I took off with the top green LED on and landed with the botton red LED on. The battery took a dump in flight. I would like to have telemetry. I want max hold temp. and stuff like that also.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Yes it is cool, But is not needed, PersonallyIt's just another thing the radio companies are looking to make $$$$ on.

The Rx Battery Voltage feature does not add any extra weight.

Back in the 80's, I had a Kodak M5 Super8 Movie Camera strapped to my Swizzle Stick 60. I had to wrap it in aluminum foil to keep it from glitching the Rx. I operated it with a servo. Now, we have Panning CMOS Camera's that are light as a feather, can mount in any aircraft, and plug into the Rx like a servo. I balked at using an Onboard Electric Starter, back then, for Gas and Glow aircraft, because of the weight. That is one technology that is not used much these days. Some Futaba radios have a Windows OS and you can store the picture of the aircraft with the Model Name. I guess you won't be buying that radio as it is just something else to go wrong. We should just go back to putting stickers on the back of the Tx to match the aircraft to the Model Memory (T6XA).

I love the look and bling of the 14MZ and was going to buy one (Needed more channels for a bigger plane), But ever since that software update got relist for my 8FG (going to 14channels+more) I don't care too much about the 14MZ.
Yes, It's cool to be able to take a picture of your airplane and put it on your radio display + much more, but for that price I can buy 4+ of my 8FG.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: Four Stroker

I have been flying for over 40 years. I check everything before I take off. The other day, I took off with the top green LED on and landed with the botton red LED on. The battery took a dump in flight. I would like to have telemetry. I want max hold temp. and stuff like that also.
Well..........I have not had a problem YET.

But then again, Never say never.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Andy
Doesn't the constant buzzing annoy you? [&:]

Sorry Andy, you walked right into that one!!
Thanks, Bill.

I owe you one now!

Me neither. I'm betting there is more to S-Bus than reducing wire clutter and making plugging in servos easier.
And here I thought it was a gimmick to help sell airframes when a single connector fails. And to spend money on "hubs." And to decrease the voltage at the servos due to losses from long wire runs. And to increase the susceptibility to EMF (ignition noise?) with unshielded cables.

OK, now we're even again

Andy
Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
TimBle

geez Busch, you're such a drama queen. No one says telemetry is bad and non progressive. Quit putting words in mouths. many have said its not a must have and I've called gimmicky and poorly implemented. Once you lift the wool from your eyes you will see that for yourself.Once again the OP asked about a Futaba radio with telemetry and implied replacing his current Futaba with a Telemetry enabled Futaba. That's coming.Btw S-bus is more than just simple wiring, its about digital communications from Rx to servo and other modules. Anyone can imagine where that will lead
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

[quote]ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Andy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Well, perhaps safety first.

Just like making cell phones safe for use in automobiles.

Blue Tooth!!! [8D]
Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: TimBle

geez Busch, you're such a drama queen. No one says telemetry is bad and non progressive. Quit putting words in mouths. many have said its not a must have and I've called gimmicky and poorly implemented. Once you lift the wool from your eyes you will see that for yourself.Once again the OP asked about a Futaba radio with telemetry and implied replacing his current Futaba with a Telemetry enabled Futaba. That's coming.Btw S-bus is more than just simple wiring, its about digital communications from Rx to servo and other modules. Anyone can imagine where that will lead

Mmmm, I thought they came out with the S-bus, to give us something to brag about. Like the Spectrum guys that fly with satellite receivers coming out of the seams because they do not trust (justifiably) one receiver:-) Yeah, if somebody really need telemetry is them! Heck their sound system on their radio could be synchronized with the telemetry and play "taps" from time to time (well, when needed, quite often)...

Gerry
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
byjoe
My Feedback: (3)

There is no drama and no misquoting.

[quote]
Any rumors about a Futaba 2.4 transmitter with telemetry? They have to have a unit in the works.

Wanting to upgrade my 9C to a true 2.4 unit. But I am going to wait and see what they offer in the way of telemetry.

Sure hope it is introduced this summer. Otherwise I may switch vendors.

todd
[quote]

As you can see, the OP was considering switching Vendors to find a radio manufacturer that offered Telemetry. All he wanted to know was If and How Soon Futaba might have an offering.

From there, the thread got hijacked by Brand Zelots and paranoia about new technology.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Mmmm, I thought they came out with the S-bus, to give us something to brag about. Like the Spectrum guys that fly with satellite receivers coming out of the seams because they do not trust (justifiably) one receiver:-) Yeah, if somebody really need telemetry is them! Heck their sound system on their radio could be synchronized with the telemetry and play "taps" from time to time (well, when needed, quite often)...

Gerry
Too funny
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
pilotpete2

Rich,
It does add the weight and cost of the telemetry module. Unlike Hitec, telemetry transmitting capability is not built into the receiver with Spektrum. How Futaba will implement telemetry, that remains to be seen.
Pete
Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Rich,
It does add the weight and cost of the telemetry module. Unlike Hitec, telemetry transmitting capability is not built into the receiver with Spektrum. How Futaba will implement telemetry, that remains to be seen.
Pete
Sorry!! I was thinking Hitec.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the look and bling of the 14MZ and was going to buy one (Needed more channels for a bigger plane), But ever since that software update got relist for my 8FG (going to 14channels+more) I don't care too much about the 14MZ.
Yes, It's cool to be able to take a picture of your airplane and put it on your radio display + much more, but for that price I can buy 4+ of my 8FG.
The 8FG Super is perfect for owners needing up to 14 channels without the extra conditions, unlimited mixing, etc., the 14MZ provides. The capability of photos and sound is already in the 14 as well as the ability to control 28 channels in 2048 PCM mode. Of course S-BUS makes that obsolete in both PCM and FASST modes. It appears the 8FGS is limited to 14 channels S-BUS where the 12Z and 14MZ are not.

The 12Z and 14MZ have unlimited capabilities that probably a limited number of owners actually use. I have the 14MZ and it certainly is overkill for my flying style but I love it's quality and reliability over the past three years.

I currently use an inexpensive telemetry add on (Quanum from Hobby King) for my electric birds mainly to monitor Lipo voltage. Amp draw and temp is available but I don't use them. Onboard airborne battery voltage is probably the only item I will use whan Futaba releases telemetry. I have little interest in the rest at this time.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

My God this snow better melt soon... You're all giving me a headache!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.