Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

The radios that can download programing, 12Z, 12FG, 14MZ, MAY be protected by a new program download. Since I have a 12FG I hope this will be done.
Given that this issue has not been seen in these radios it is not clear that they need anything done to prevent a problem that has not been observed to even exist.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

nevermind
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I think I'm beginning to "Feel the Difference"
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Hill202 your post 326 is the best post ever on RCU! I think I can feel it to!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Hill202

I have had the module for a week. Now we have to get them tested!! We also have to worry about turning the TX off too soon!! I'm sitting here retracing my steps to see if I may have cycled my TX on and off too fast!

Does this mean that not only do I have to get my module tested, but I also have to worry if the guy flying next to me had his tested?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You would know if you reset your GUID as your reciever would no longer respond and you would have to re-bind it to the transmitter. This should never happen and may indicate that your tx code reverted to 00000000.
As long as your radio checks out then you do not have to worry about anyone elses radio as it takes two radios witht he same GUID to interfere with each other.

Stuart
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand correctly, there has to be (at least) two radios operating within range that have both had their GUIDs reset to have a problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Hill202

Is it a sure thing that if I turn my TX off before the system"boots up", that my GUID will be reset?

If it means anything, I have the 9C with a 7 channel module.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
saramos

See post 306 for times and models.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I know I did when I had to remove 8 8611As from a plane and send them back due to defective motors.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
GrayUK

There still seems to be some confusion with some people about what can interfere with what so I repeat the post below (modified slightly to match the official announcement) .

If you do NOT have a faulty TX (only 6 ex and 7C have any record at the moment) you are fine and will not be interfered with even if a faulty set switches on.
You can have a faulty set and fly perfectly safely, providing no one else has one.
Info says that the 12 and 14 units do NOT suffer from the 0000 GUID. This means you are safe, even if 1 or 2 (or more) faulty sets are present and turned on.

The 7 and 8 modules can theoretically suffer the same problem but due to how they work it is far less likely.
No recorded case has been found even in checked stock at Futaba and others ( Ia m told).

So at present the ONLY risk is if 2 faulty sets are at the same field and try to fly together, they will interfere with each other but NO OTHER FASST system.

As I indicated earlier, a quick check of these sets on the ground can confirm that you do not have TWO faulty sets present (or do have, as the case may be).

14,12, module users can continue as normal.
Futaba are recommending checking the 7 and 8 modules to be ultra cautious.
Hope that is clear

Paul
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is NOT the most convoluted thread I have ever seen!
The issue -I thot -- was a(some) radios changing from INTENDED codes ---accidentally
This could cause POSSIBLE interferrence with others rx
Is this correct?
Now the Futaba advisory cautions -fiddling with the ON/OFF switch.
OK- -but everybody does it at one time or the other . To think an advisory will change that is wistful thinking.
Is that switch advisory relevant in the original issue (loss of correct code.) ?
None of my business?
OK--- but I would sure like to know how they relate!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Paul, you are a voice of reason in a panicked crowd. A sparrow in a hurricane..............

I am as concerned about this as anyone - I sold off all my 72mhz stuff and bought a total of 10 new Futaba 2.4 rxs. Futaba has announced what the issue is, and how to avoid it. They have also made it clear that if your Tx STOPS working the rxs you already have linked to it - THERE IS A PROBLEM.

Suppose I buy a new 6 or 7 ch Futaba 2.4 TODAY at my LHS. If I do so, we will check it against a known 00000000 rx at the shop. Passes the test, 'cuz it won't work the test rx without binding them. I take it home, fly it for week/months/years, then grandson gets hold of it and plays with the power switch. Next time I go fly, my Tx won't work my rx(s). It'll have to go back - but even then, I COULD WALK THE LINE AND ADVISE OTHERS THAT I'LL BE FLYING WITH A DEFAULT SETUP, rebind my rx, and fly. If there are more than one of us in the same boat, we have to take turns - like we were both on ch37 or such. Basicly, 2.4 gives us 100,000,000 different channels, numbered 00000000 to 99999999. That's a lot of clothespins, but the only conflict that should ever occur would be on 00000000 - with two sets that had both been reset.

Folks - quit panicking. If in doubt, ship your Tx to the distributor. They'll check it, replace it if it's bad, and ship you a new one. If it suddenly quits working the rxs that it worked before, send it in. If you are a fidgiter who likes to turn their Tx on and off frequently for half-second intervals, seek help. Remember, it takes a short boot-up to cause it, which is also not good for your home PC. It's not going to happen while you are flying, and as long as you have passed the test, and not subsequently had to rebind your rxs, you are good to go.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Julez

If you are a fidgiter who likes to turn their Tx on and off frequently for half-second intervals, seek help. Remember, it takes a short boot-up to cause it, which is also not good for your home PC.
Not necessarily.
My TX lost its GUID after I switched it on exactly the way I did hundreds of times before during the last 6 months.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Teachu2

OK - and then it didn't work your rx, correct? Did you rebind your rx, or just send it in?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Not the most convoluted, but it's close.... This whole thing is a complete mess. I can't help but laugh my you know what off when I read the Futaba propaganda on http://2.4gigahertz.com

"Futaba gets it right the first time.

Futaba takes great pride in making sure that every new product performs flawlessly before it's offered to our customers. Others hesitate to invest so much effort in testing. Some may even consider their "first run" products a step in the process of working out bugs, using feedback from the earliest buyers. Futaba is different. When you choose a Futaba 2.4GHz FASST radio system or module/receiver set, you've selected a fully tested, well-engineered, totally reliable product – one that's absolutely ready to give demanding R/C hobbyists the performance they expect. Our hands-on experience with 2.4GHz technology stretches back 15 years, long before anyone considered its value in hobby applications. That's when engineers in Futaba's industrial R/C division – designers of radio-control tools for construction, civil engineering, and similar uses – began employing and perfecting their own 2.4GHz equipment. Those same engineers were brought in to share their knowledge as soon as we were comfortable that 2.4GHz technology had perfected for the unique demands of R/C hobby applications. No other radio manufacturer had such an instant supply of expertise."

I have a bunch of FASST stuff on backorder, but I'm wondering if it's time to cancel the order and "feel the difference" again.

While we keep hearing it's only a small number of units impacted by this, I seriously doubt we'll ever be told the truth.

1) The improved manual for the 14MZ (which I recall was promised) has never materialized and I doubt it ever will.
2) After the problems with the 5014 RX we were told there are no problems with the RX, but the eventually come out with a 5114 RX. We're told it's only a component change, but this RX mysteriously has a new feature (Mode A/B). Yeah, just a component change. Yeah, right.
3) They make the same statement with the 607/617 RXs (see item 2 above).
4) Not the FASST fiasco. It's actually quite funny. They ship the long delayed TM-14 FASST module and folks are getting them, but can't use them because they haven't shipped the software yet and it takes several days before the software is available.

So what's the long term solution to the power off problem? Does someone need to be concerned every time they turn off their TX now? Is that really progress? At least before you knew who could potentially shot you down. Now you have no clue. Yeah, so much for progress....

Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: shakes268

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I know I did when I had to remove 8 8611As from a plane and send them back due to defective motors.
JR responded to that issue with a prompt, clear and concise notice to send them in for replacement. Hey,I've been a die hard Futaba user and I don't consider this" panic". However as Dick Hanson said, " any design, which would permit operator inputs to setup a "failed to UNSAFE" condition is simply - unacceptable--".
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
davebart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly at the Yuma Aeromodelers field where this originally was discovered. Our Pres. just sent out a link to a Futaba Tech. Support message ... Here it is if you haven's seen it already ... http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/...m7-7c-6ex.html It is worth a read. My understanding is that Futaba is also replacing the plane that went down when the problem occurred.

Fly safe and be aware of what is going on around you.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

Not the most convoluted, but it's close.... This whole thing is a complete mess. I can't help but laugh my you know what off when I read the Futaba propaganda on http://2.4gigahertz.com

"Futaba gets it right the first time.

Futaba takes great pride in making sure that every new product performs flawlessly before it's offered to our customers. Others hesitate to invest so much effort in testing. Some may even consider their "first run" products a step in the process of working out bugs, using feedback from the earliest buyers. Futaba is different. When you choose a Futaba 2.4GHz FASST radio system or module/receiver set, you've selected a fully tested, well-engineered, totally reliable product – one that's absolutely ready to give demanding R/C hobbyists the performance they expect. Our hands-on experience with 2.4GHz technology stretches back 15 years, long before anyone considered its value in hobby applications. That's when engineers in Futaba's industrial R/C division – designers of radio-control tools for construction, civil engineering, and similar uses – began employing and perfecting their own 2.4GHz equipment. Those same engineers were brought in to share their knowledge as soon as we were comfortable that 2.4GHz technology had perfected for the unique demands of R/C hobby applications. No other radio manufacturer had such an instant supply of expertise."

I have a bunch of FASST stuff on backorder, but I'm wondering if it's time to cancel the order and "feel the difference" again.

While we keep hearing it's only a small number of units impacted by this, I seriously doubt we'll ever be told the truth.

1) The improved manual for the 14MZ (which I recall was promised) has never materialized and I doubt it ever will.
2) After the problems with the 5014 RX we were told there are no problems with the RX, but the eventually come out with a 5114 RX. We're told it's only a component change, but this RX mysteriously has a new feature (Mode A/B). Yeah, just a component change. Yeah, right.
3) They make the same statement with the 607/617 RXs (see item 2 above).
4) Not the FASST fiasco. It's actually quite funny. They ship the long delayed TM-14 FASST module and folks are getting them, but can't use them because they haven't shipped the software yet and it takes several days before the software is available.

So what's the long term solution to the power off problem? Does someone need to be concerned every time they turn off their TX now? Is that really progress? At least before you knew who could potentially shot you down. Now you have no clue. Yeah, so much for progress....

Answer to #4 - http://www.14mz.com/downloads/2008-0...4MZ_Ver120.zip on http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html
Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

ORIGINAL: davebart

I fly at the Yuma Aeromodelers field where this originally was discovered. Our Pres. just sent out a link to a Futaba Tech. Support message ... Here it is if you haven's seen it already ... http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/...m7-7c-6ex.html It is worth a read. My understanding is that Futaba is also replacing the plane that went down when the problem occurred.

Fly safe and be aware of what is going on around you.
Good for Futaba!!! That just totally sold me on them!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] I lost a plane with xps when the radio went out and they didn't even give me a new receiver!!!! Just a bunch of excuses....
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM
bailey37

This seems to be getting out of hand....futaba must sort it out soon..seems everybody has different veiws as to what might and might not happen..and what if this and what if that...i am sure Futaba dont want this problem to rubbish their good name,so they are bound to want to sort it out asap.lets see.i switch my tx on and off all the time,if i reset the trims or the rates or the reverse servos,i swich the set off then straight back on,but it has always binded with the rx every time.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: bailey37

This seems to be getting out of hand....futaba must sort it out soon..seems everybody has different veiws as to what might and might not happen..and what if this and what if that...i am sure Futaba dont want this problem to rubbish their good name,so they are bound to want to sort it out asap.lets see.i switch my tx on and off all the time,if i reset the trims or the rates or the reverse servos,i swich the set off then straight back on,but it has always binded with the rx every time.
It is my understanding that it's ON and then quickly OFF that causes the problem - it interupts the software loading. I've seen the same thing screw up PCs. I teach computer classes, and it's amazing how many different ways high school kids find to crash a computer......
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Not the most convoluted, but it's close.... This whole thing is a complete mess. I can't help but laugh my you know what off when I read the Futaba propaganda on http://2.4gigahertz.com

"Futaba gets it right the first time."

WOW! I am not even a Futaba guy and I can not imagine what some of you are thinking. I interpreted their ad campaign to mean they got the 2.4 GHz com thing right the first time due to their experienced 2.4 engineers. The GUID issue is not really closely related to the FASST 2.4 methodology, it is related to the fact that each piece of hardware needs a unique GUID. I am sure every other radio manufacturer has had in the past and will again in the future have small errors like this. They will fix it and implement some way to prevent it in the future and move on.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

#4 Was statement, not a question. I'm not looking for the software. It was just highlighting the fact that the modules were in users hands and unusable for several days before the software was posted. In other words, the folks at Futaba have no clue what's going on.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
XJet
Banned

I really hope your info is not correct--(even tho I don't use Futaba)
Any design, which would permit operator inputs to setup a "failed to UNSAFE" condition is simply - unacceptable-- I won't bore you with the reasons or court cases which explain why this is the case- but it is.
Interestingly enough, if this is the case, Futaba must have really been asleep at the wheel when they designed this system -- since all it would take to avoid this is a suitably sized capacitor (just like the Spektrum eh?) and a few lines of microcontroller code (about 15 minutes to write and debug).

Looks as if they may have rushed this to the market without really doing a proper analysis or testing :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.